Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifting vs. manual - your opinions

Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

The thirteen or so years prior to the C7 were in M6 C5's. Always liked shifting gears myself as old auto's often tended to hunt for the proper gear, frequently resulting in a "lunge" when they downshifted to accelerate out of a slow curve, something the A8 does not do even in auto. With the M6, I could always be in the gear I wanted for exit, prior to getting back on the gas. Paddle shifting with the new computerized automatics eliminates most of that for me.

A big issue I notice most is that below 40 or so MPH, the converter is not locked, and off throttle around a sharp curve there is a few hundred RPM difference between input and output speed of the transmission that has to be made up when you get back on the throttle. This gives me a little of the feel of the auto transmissions of old and of course is never an issue with a manual. I also feel like I loose a little of the engine braking feel when downshifting the A8 because of the unlock on the TC

Another thing you will probably notice going from manual to paddle shifting is the feeling of immediacy in the shift. Yes, there is some delay between pulling the paddle and engaging the gear - it is not an F1 or IndyCar. Is it bad? Other that the 1-2 shift at less than wide open throttle, not so much. The computer likely physically changes the gear faster than you can coordinate throttle-clutch-shifter, I know it is faster than me! I think part of the perception of delay is because you don't have to subconsciously think about the physical effort to shift the gear and all you have to do is wait. It's kind of like watching grass grow or paint dry - nothing to do but wait! After 2.5 years/22,000 miles, I really haven't even noticed it for quite some time. Also, the mode (Tour/Sport/Track) has an impact on (decreasing as you go up the range) the shift times.

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
I rented a paddle shift Mustang for a long trip a while back and missed my Mustang GT's manual transmission... Yes, it's smooth. Yes, it's fast in the shifts. Perhaps more experience would make it more familiar, but I found the lack of manual feedback of the POSITION of the gearshift to be somewhat distracting. After decades of manual transmissions, I realized that when going thru the gears, I use the knowledge of the shift **** position as part of the information flow on what the car's doing and what I want to do next.
As to your (OP's) reply to this post, it doesn't take long to learn what gear the A8 has selected for whatever speed you are going so you don't have to constantly look at the DIC or HUD, if equipped, to see what gear you are in. You soon have a feel almost as instinctive as with a stick pointing at the gate as to what gear you are in. After all, how many manual drivers here can say they never reached to the wrong location to change a gear in their life?

Do I miss my three-pedal cars? On rare occasion I do but not enough to trade or even change my choice if I did. Hope this longish missive helps with your decision, I know mine was agonizing. Wish more here on the forum could just answer an honest question without telling a poster to search, simply stating their choice, pointing out "problems" with a choice (e.g. TC issues with some early A8's) or reopening often hotly contested topics (A8/M7, Chrome/Black, etc.).
Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Had a DCT in my M3. Went with the M7 in my Z06 and absolutely love it. The DCT is better than the traditional auto but nowhere near the fun of a manual. Just put an MGW shifter in and it only made it better.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I put 128,000 miles on my C6 with paddle shift.... liked it fine.... many complain about the lag.... all it takes is a bit of experience and you'll anticipate the lag and compensate for it.

And, when traffic gets stop and go you can shift into auto, and enjoy your tunes....

I've been rowing gears since 1955.... I still do it as both cars I happen to drive most have MN shifts....

.... it really doesn't make any difference to me what they are.... I've never found a problem alternating between the them: auto, auto w/paddle, or MN
Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

In an attempt to at least address the OP's question . . . I have owned and driven Corvettes for well over 40 years, and out of 8 cars, I never had (or wanted) anything but manual transmissions in any of them - until I got my 2014 C7 Premiere Edition convertible. It was only available with the A6 paddle-shifter transmission, but I thought I would give it a try as the rest of the car was exactly what I wanted. Now, bear in mind this is the A6, not the current A8 (and it seems like I dodged a bullet there). So, after all those years of driving manual-shift Corvettes, what do I think of the paddle-shifter?

I love it. I can make it do nearly anything I want it to , or I can leave it the hell alone and just enjoy the ride. In heavy traffic it's a Godsend, and around town it's just fine. You can have a very high level of driver involvement if that's what you want (and most of the time, I do), or not. I honestly thought I would miss that clutch pedal - but I don't. My advice is to drive one for a while and see if it's for you. We have plenty of members in the local Corvette Club who still think that their double-clutching, throttle-blipping, gearbox-rowing driving style defines them as more "sporting" or skilled than the rest - but their numbers are dwindling, and as these paddle-shifter transmissions continue to improve, eventually these drivers will be very few in number indeed. Some see it as progress, some don't.

I still have my 1962 300hp 4-speed for those times I'm feelin' shifty. And yes, winding that old 327 out on a back road is still a lot of fun. There's room for both.

Last edited by fyreline; 06-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Dcregar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think many want to go here again at this point in time. This thread is discussed, argued about, and insults hurled routinely on this forum over and over again in dozens of threads. Everything that has been said on that subject has been said ad nauseam.

It's purely a matter of personal preference, but I happen to agree with you on C7 transmission preference.
This has been discussed many, many, many times. Drive whatever you like and are comfortable with.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I have an M7. I've rented both an A6 and an A8 and tried Manual mode. To me it's simple - paddle shifters lack neutral. To me that makes it too different.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Great reply.

Thanks to all who offered their personal experience & opinion on owning & using one vs. the other.

Originally Posted by fyreline
In an attempt to at least address the OP's question . . . I have owned and driven Corvettes for well over 40 years, and out of 8 cars, I never had (or wanted) anything but manual transmissions in any of them - until I got my 2014 C7 Premiere Edition convertible. It was only available with the A6 paddle-shifter transmission, but I thought I would give it a try as the rest of the car was exactly what I wanted. Now, bear in mind this is the A6, not the current A8 (and it seems like I dodged a bullet there). So, after all those years of driving manual-shift Corvettes, what do I think of the paddle-shifter?

I love it. I can make it do nearly anything I want it to , or I can leave it the hell alone and just enjoy the ride. In heavy traffic it's a Godsend, and around town it's just fine. You can have a very high level of driver involvement if that's what you want (and most of the time, I do), or not. I honestly thought I would miss that clutch pedal - but I don't. My advice is to drive one for a while and see if it's for you. We have plenty of members in the local Corvette Club who still think that their double-clutching, throttle-blipping, gearbox-rowing driving style defines them as more "sporting" or skilled than the rest - but their numbers are dwindling, and as these paddle-shifter transmissions continue to improve, eventually these drivers will be very few in number indeed. Some see it as progress, some don't.

I still have my 1962 300hp 4-speed for those times I'm feelin' shifty. And yes, winding that old 327 out on a back road is still a lot of fun. There's room for both.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I love my A8 and I NEVER touch the paddles.

If you buy an A8 with the dreams of screaming through the gears while you pull paddles, you probably want an M7.

I have no interest in controlling the final drive ratio nor the intermediate drive ratio, so I drive an automatic. If controling gear ratios is a passion for you, get the M7.

As for me the only downside to the A8 is listening to the M7 guys go on about wives and bad knees and how manly the M7 makes them, but once you've heard those old guys crow enough times, it's just part of the background noise around here.
I fully agree with what you said, except the last paragraph....

To me it explains well why to choose the A8 or the M7. That is why I am in a M7. Obviously more people prefer the A8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paddle shifting vs. manual - your opinions