Sponsored by:

Help me understand the C7 re-sale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Just cant understand why you wouldn't take advantage of the used market more than people do. And if anyone says "Ill pay for that NEW CAR SMELL" than you deserve the biggest slap in the head...

Got my vote, Mayor.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I rarely buy a new car. I can afford new, however, I just have lived so long 'scrimping' that it's become habit. I have no problem with those that buy new, someone has to break in my next ride. Used cars depreciate too, I just don't care.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Apparently being a rude ***** means your bad at math too. A 2014 Vette means the car is FOUR years old today...not SIX years old... You sound pretty "big league" to me...

Also, paying $40k for the same car you paid $80k for, doesn't make me a bottom feeder...it allows me to go buy that boat your wife wont let you buy, because she thinks your Vette payment is too high...
Well said. A math major Skid Row Joe is not. A ***** however is putting it lightly!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-12-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Resale just keep it 5 years and it will even out.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by jonebone
If someone has the car custom built to their specs, are they paying full MSRP?

The reason I ask, I bought a car recently for $48k on a $76k sticker and the guy had it built to his specs, drove up to MacMulkin NH to pick it up at release. In this case, did the guy really take a $28k bath on it? I know that some people are arguing "we get them 15% off (or more) new", but this guy would have had to buy at full sticker due to having it built, right?
Having it built generally doesn't cost more than buying a current year - I got 12% off my 2018 GS that was ordered from MacMulkin and built on day 1 (6/2/17) of 2018 production, add in my $3,000 in GM points and the $750 GM bonus at the time, and the final deal was about 17% ($12,600) off its $73,200 MSRP. The big discounts are on cars that are more than 1 model year old, so buying a 2017 now would be 20-22% off MSRP - and ordered 2019 would be at 11-13% off MSRP (except the ZR1, which is at MSRP).
Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I buy new Corvettes. I always have, too. I'm not a bottom feeder. Many of us value the new Corvette experience a lot more than you do apparently. Likewise, many of us are high net worth individuals who can buy whatever we want to. That doesn't include being relegated to only buying used stuff. Perhaps you're unable to afford stepping up to the Big Leagues buying new? Buying a 6- year old used car may be all you can do? Just sayin'.
Well,,, aint you special?
Most folks that buy new, are making payment too, a really horrible financial decision.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM
VaydorVette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Just cant understand why you wouldn't take advantage of the used market more than people do...
When the Dealers are setting New prices just a few $K over the mean Used price.. it really makes buying Used questionable.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You can't measure depreciation by miles driven. The biggest hit occurs the second you drive it off the dealership lot.
Yea I thought that was an odd way of looking at it too.

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I'm with you. Keep buying used. Thanks to all the guys buying new.
Ditto's, without them it would be a very different market. THANKS new vette buyer guys!

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Most car savvy people know that mass-produced cars are NOT an investment, but an expense.
Seriously mass-produced. Gotta take that into consideration.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Most folks that buy new, are making payment too, a really horrible financial decision.
At 1.64%/72 the money is better spent on a CD than paying cash for a car not to mention other advantages like improving overall credit score which helps with non credit expenses like reduced homeowners insurance rates.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:47 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
At 1.64%/72 the money is better spent on a CD than paying cash for a car not to mention other advantages like improving overall credit score which helps with non credit expenses like reduced homeowners insurance rates.
While this is true, I'm sure it's also true that 99% of the people who finance are not doing so because they are getting a great rate and investing the cash.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Dcregar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1-
I have bought a new '14, '16 and just bought an '18 GS. Drove each one 15K-17K miles. It cost me thousands and I don't care. AND NO...I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. This is my true pleasure in life. I like it to be brand new...all mine..never driven by anyone but me. So when asked how much money I lost... the answer is ZERO...I got every pennies worth. Some spend there FUN MONEY on booze, gambling, drag racing, golf, etc, etc. I spend mine driving, owning and enjoying my Corvettes.
I agree with you. I just bought a 2019 Grand Sport Coupe. I like to be the first *** in the seat!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
While this is true, I'm sure it's also true that 99% of the people who finance are not doing so because they are getting a great rate and investing the cash.
99% of the general population think ANY money spent on a Corvette is foolish. So, what is your point?

Corvette buyers are not a random selection of people. Most of them are much better off financially than average, and can AFFORD to spend on a car that is mostly recreational or for a 'hobby', even if some of that cost is <gasp!> interest.

If financing, the cost of the car includes the interest paid. If a Corvette buyer thinks the amount they pay (including interest) is worth it -- what does it matter if it is financed? When other people start paying my bills, then they can cast aspersions as to how I spend my own money.

The hoary old "if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it" mindset is outdated and ignorant. Credit is not "universally bad", but is a tool that can be used for good or evil, depending on the user.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-12-2018 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

This thread has devolved from OP's question asking us to help him understand depreciation to the usual, "I am smarter than you about finances" schtick. OP's initial 'evidence' would suggest he is exaggerating. He claims "thousands!" of dollars of depreciation, but it looks like he is comparing MSRP with used prices. He needs to take about 12% off those MSRP prices before he starts comparing. He also doesn't give a single exact example. But it turns out the whole thing is a set-up. OP needs no help "understanding" depreciation at all. He has already decided that people who bail with low miles are "stupid" and people who take advantage of these low mileage cars at steep discounts are "smart" and he will argue with anyone who claims anything differently even though he has absolutely no idea why these people bailed. Cars have been depreciating for 100 years now. It's not a mystery. No one really needs help understanding depreciation. It's just an excuse to start an argument. To OP, spending the least amount of money for "X" is a win--and nothing else counts. He is equating "low miles" with "no miles" and completely ignoring the risk associated with "low miles" and a shorter warranty and the unlikelihood of getting the exact car he might prefer. He's ignoring his compromises. In other words, he thinks he's getting "X" for a better price, but what he is really getting is "not quite "X" or "X minus your compromises." Is that valid? Sure it is. I applaud you folks for thinking you are so smart. You're single and only criteria is money and there is no doubt whatsoever that if that is your criteria, you have definitely won. Congratulations!

Last edited by mschuyler; 06-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Dcregar (06-12-2018), ptran00 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I understand the many perspectives mentioned in this thread. Personally, I like buying new to avoid the aggravation that a used car may bring with it and get exactly what I want.

Ironically, I was just discussing last night while driving my Vette with a friend who mentioned that she doesn’t see many Corvettes on the road. I laughed and said that’s because people buy them to park in their garage and wipe with a diaper every so often. To each is own. Just be happy there are those that hardly drive their vette and willing to eat the depreciation for you to get a great deal.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:02 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
99% of the general population think ANY money spent on a Corvette is foolish. So, what is your point?

Corvette buyers are not a random selection of people. Most of them are much better off financially than average, and can AFFORD to spend on a car that is mostly recreational or for a 'hobby', even if some of that cost is <gasp!> interest.

If financing, the cost of the car includes the interest paid. If a Corvette buyer thinks the amount they pay (including interest) is worth it -- what does it matter if it is financed? When other people start paying my bills, then they can cast aspersions as to how I spend my own money.

The hoary old "if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it" mindset is outdated and ignorant. Credit is not "universally bad", but is a tool that can be used for good or evil, depending on the user.
Chill, I don't care if you bought new or used, financed, paid cash, traded for sexual favors. It's a forum I'm just shooting the ****. No need to get all wound up.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
Chill, I don't care if you bought new or used, financed, paid cash, traded for sexual favors. It's a forum I'm just shooting the ****. No need to get all wound up.
Yup -- no wind up here. Just all discussion.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

USA1 I agree with your post. With some things in life what something is "worth" just is not measured with math. I too am in the gang that sometimes buys new cars just because that's what I want. A NEW car. I have also bought plenty of used cars thru the years, some were great, some were mistakes I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

Some of my friends bring this up at times, the question of how much are you loosing buying the vehicle new as opposed to used. My reply is that when I sell, I will get SOMETHING back. How much did you get back when you spent money on your last cruise, vacation, or even a movie?

Some things we spend, (or lose), money on simply because that's what we want. Like a friend once said, "I try to be sure that I am the first one that farts in my car".
ptran00 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:50 PM
batmitestar
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just cant understand why you wouldn't take advantage of the used market more than people do. And if anyone says "Ill pay for that NEW CAR SMELL" than you deserve the biggest slap in the head...

Congrats and enjoy the new car.

Get burned just one time on a used car and you’ll quickly realize why people buy new ones.

Do you buy ANYTHING new? Furniture? Pots and pans? Bedsheets? Underpants?

Because if you are intelllectually honest and consistent, all those things can be procured for pennies on the dollar from craigslist.

But I want underpants nobody has worn and a car nobody has spilled coffee in.
ptran00 (06-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Help me understand the C7 re-sale?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Let's assume you get 3% interest on your CD, 25% of that goes to Uncle Sam and a fair amount to the state. I am in the 30% tax bracket, so the numbers are a compromise. $100,000 CD gets you#$3000, $750 goes to the Feds, and likely $250 goes to the State. Interest on you loan will be a large number than the bottom line of the loan, or at least real close. Calculate the final amount you pay for the car (including interest, taxes etc.). I know this will escape most "gotta have it now" folks, but facts is facts. You pay $100,000 (total)for a $75,000 car that is worth $55,000 or less in three years.

Borrowing money for a depreciating asset is a bad financial decision, no matter what you think. Too many people are upside down on their cars, don't be one of them.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by batmitestar

Do you buy ANYTHING new? Furniture? Pots and pans? Bedsheets? Underpants?
Can we get back on track with the post...Cmon...what does this have to do with used car prices? This post is just utterly pointless...
Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Most buy the cars between 12 and 20% OFF MSRP. So the hit isn't as bad as some think. I do agree that there are plenty for sale with very low miles. I myself don't understand that part. Enjoy the car as they are a blast to drive.
ptran00 (06-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Help me understand the C7 re-sale?