C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dealers in California can't sell cars out of state? What?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I didn't realize the Noble was a kit car.
It's not. But as HPT so bluntly and accurately put it, when you've got enough money, the laws don't really apply to you.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DWillys
I didn't realize the Noble was a kit car.
There were 4 Noble dealers in Europe where you coukd buy them complete and get them serviced etc. However, they don't have air bags, so to get around regulations they were shipped as a complete car and then combined with the drive train over here. So, technically it is a kit car. Even though all the engineering went into this car, it is not like it is built on a Nissan 350z or something. No "donor car."
Old 06-16-2018, 12:00 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

That dealer is full of bs. I recently bought a new 17 Z51 and had it shipped to me in Arizona. Car was heavily discounted otherwise I'd never buy a car there. The kicker is that in Cali if you want to drive it off the lot to another state then you will have to pay cali sales tax and registration fees (or have a one way trip permit). I just had the car shipped to me in Lake Havasu and paid the tax and reg to my home state of Az.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:50 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Your actually wrong about this. While they do have a 50 state emissions for all cars, they also have a California Emissions only and you can order from the factory with this option. I know because I did exactly that. The registration process for the car is much easier and simpler if you register a car in California with California Emissions!

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
No such thing as a "cali smog car". All new Corvettes have the same emission equipment. So a new Vette purchased in the Iowa Corn fields is the same as a CA, AZ or TX car. Do your homework.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:10 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
Your actually wrong about this. While they do have a 50 state emissions for all cars, they also have a California Emissions only and you can order from the factory with this option. I know because I did exactly that. The registration process for the car is much easier and simpler if you register a car in California with California Emissions!
If thats the case I stand corrected. What is the RPO code for this? I was not able to find it on the current C7 meaning I am probably blind!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-17-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:55 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

This is directly from my GM build sheet:

YF5: Emission: California
Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
This is directly from my GM build sheet:

YF5: Emission: California
there is no difference in the car itself, but the YF5 (no-cost option) adds a sticker under the hood stating it meets CA emissions. I've bought two Corvettes out of state and when registering in CA they look for that sticker. Also, if you paid sales tax in another state and it was less than the CA sales tax, you have to pay the difference to CA.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DingyHarry
Just spoke to John L. Sullivan Chevrolet in Rolesville, California. I was told that they can only sell a vehicle to a buyer that walks in their door. It is against the law for them to sell a car to someone out of state and ship the vehicle to them. This sounds like utter BS and madness if true. Can anyone confirm this is the law?
Call Abel Chevrolet. Hands down the best dealer in CA and about 45 minutes from Roseville.

Last edited by theplatinumog; 06-17-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky51
there is no difference in the car itself, but the YF5 (no-cost option) adds a sticker under the hood stating it meets CA emissions. I've bought two Corvettes out of state and when registering in CA they look for that sticker. Also, if you paid sales tax in another state and it was less than the CA sales tax, you have to pay the difference to CA.
I was told in Bowling Green they all have the same emission package.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by dataporter
I'm pretty sure if you buy a car here in California and drive it off the lot, you must pay nonrefundable California Sales Tax on the entire purchase price (minimum 7.25% and much higher in some cities and counties, no discount for trade in value). You can only avoid the sales tax if you have a commercial third party ship the car from the dealer out of California.
Similar in other states.
I purchased my GS from a Chevy dealer in IN and to avoid a 7% IN sales tax had to sign a form that car was being titled out of state and it had to be transported by a third party shipper from IN to VA. Of course, I paid sales tax and registration fees when I registered the C7 in Va.

Typically, you pay sales tax and registration fees in the state car is going to be titled and registered, not where it's purchased. You should never have to pay sales taxes/registration fees in both states.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 AM
JimS007
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just purchased a new 2017 Stingray from Criswell. Before I could get it titled / registered in my home county in California I was required by DMV to pass a Smog Check Vehicle Inspection. This is not required of new cars sold in California. Only new cars sold and brought in from out of state. When I re-register my car in five years I will be required to pass another smog check.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Did you pay sales tax in MD or CA?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I live in Las Vegas and have purchased several cars from dealers in California.

The dealer who said it is illegal is absolutely lying or grossly misinformed.

So, the way it works is if an out-of-state person purchases a vehicle in CA — there are two choices:

1) Buyer drives (or otherwise removes) the vehicle from the dealer lot himself. In this case, the Buyer *must* pay the full CA sales taxes to the selling Dealer. In some states (like my state of NV), he can show his CA bill of sale to his own state’s DMV, and get credit for sales taxes paid in CA to apply to his own state’s sales tax bill for the car. Buyer is still responsible for any discrepancies in the amount paid to CA and the amount due from his own state. There is no refund if the CA tax paid is greater than those charged by the buyer’s own state.

2) Buyer hires a commercial shipper to pick up the car from the Dealer's lot, and deliver it to an out-of-CA address (note: delivery address doesn’t HAVE to be in the buyer’s state, as long as it’s out of CA). The CA Dealer uses the commercial shipper-provided “Bill Of Lading” (B/L) to prove to the CA taxing authority that the car was indeed delivered "out of state", and thus no CA taxes were collected by the selling Dealer. That is why you can’t just show up with your own trailer and pick up the car and avoid the tax — a commercial entity is required for an acceptable B/L.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-17-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by dataporter
I'm pretty sure if you buy a car here in California and drive it off the lot, you must pay nonrefundable California Sales Tax on the entire purchase price (minimum 7.25% and much higher in some cities and counties, no discount for trade in value). You can only avoid the sales tax if you have a commercial third party ship the car from the dealer out of California.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 PM
cohoskip
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a motorhome in CA and the dealer drove us to Reno where we completed the sale. It saved me $15,000. in taxes and license fee. I then registered in Oregon where I paid $240. for a two year license...

Quick Reply: Car dealers in California can't sell cars out of state? What?