Quick question about the A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Quick question about the A8

17 GS A8
I have had harsh shifts ever since I bought the car new. I tend to use paddles/M mode when driving. I typically start in 2 to avoid the 1-2 shift when stopped and have hard shifts about 75% of the time. There are moments that it does not buck the car forward but it typically does and this is starting to concern me.

Also, it never downshifts by itself into 2 from 3, it always skips 2 on the downshift and goes into 1 with a kick/buck. I can't imagine this is how all A8s are. Please let me know if your A8 experience is similar or not.

Thanks Jay
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 PM
rogerm60
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't really comment on paddle shifting since I have owned the car for only a couple of months; however I can speak about the A8 from an automatic perspective, and apparently it SUCKS! Bought my 2015 C7 pre-owned with 6500 miles on it. It drove nicely until I turned 7K miles, and then it began to surge, shudder, and felt like I was driving over rumble strips. The RPM's would fluctuate as well. It's at the dealership right now, and the tech is saying it's the torque converter. Since joining this forum a few days ago, I've read numerous comments about the problems with the A8 transmission, but I'm yet to see where GM is doing a damn thing about it. Why hasn't there been a recall? Why is it that GM is selling these cars with full knowledge that the transmission is flawed? I've always been a FORD customer, and was strongly leaning towards a Shelby Mustang, but decided to give Corvette a try. Wow, has this turned out to be a mistake. Other than my obvious stupidity, it's beyond me why someone would buy a $60K + automobile from GM when they clearly have not improved their quality control process since the 1980's...................Sorry for the rant, but it happens when you're PO'd as I am.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-16-2018 at 10:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rogerm60:
C5Driver (06-15-2018), Corgidog1 (06-15-2018), Skid Row Joe (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylars

Also, it never downshifts by itself into 2 from 3, it always skips 2 on the downshift and goes into 1 with a kick/buck. I can't imagine this is how all A8s are. Please let me know if your A8 experience is similar or not.
When slowing down to a stop in my 2018 I have never seen it go from 3rd gear down to 2nd, it will always stay in 3rd until you come to a stop and then it shifts down to 1st. But mine never goes into 1st harshly though, it's always smooth.

At full throttle it's a different story though, if you're in third or fourth it will downshift to 2nd, it won't just skip down to 1st.
The following users liked this post:
Jaylars (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Jay, the rough/hard first shift of the day is just the nature of the beast in my opinion, but it should stop after it warms up. My '16 w/9K miles has done it day one, but it's only the first shift when cold. You may want to have the dealer check yours. And it is designed to go from 3rd to 1st when coming to a stop. My other automatic (non GM) cars do the same thing.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-14-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,596 Likes on 5,559 Posts

17 GS A8
I have had harsh shifts ever since I bought the car new. I tend to use paddles/M mode when driving. I typically start in 2 to avoid the 1-2 shift when stopped and have hard shifts about 75% of the time. There are moments that it does not buck the car forward but it typically does and this is starting to concern me.

Thanks Jay
I would take it to your dealer to have checked out. My '17 GS has always shifted fine thought it does have a slightly aggressive shift from 1 to 2nd when cold, or at least it did prior to my installing the range devise, now shifts very smooth from 1st to 2nd.
As others have mentioned, it's normal to down shift from 3rd to 1st, skipping 2nd.

Originally Posted by rogerm60
I can't really comment on paddle shifting since I have owned the car for only a couple of months; however I can speak about the A8 from an automatic perspective, and apparently it SUCKS! Bought my 2015 C7 pre-owned with 6500 miles on it. It drove nicely until I turned 7K miles, and then it began to surge, shudder, and felt like I was driving over rumble strips. The RPM's would fluctuate as well. It's at the dealership right now, and the tech is saying it's the torque converter. Since joining this forum a few days ago, I've read numerous comments about the problems with the A8 transmission, but I'm yet to see where GM is doing a damn thing about it. Why hasn't there been a recall? Why is it that GM is selling these cars with full knowledge that the transmission is flawed? I've always been a FORD customer, and was strongly leaning towards a Shelby Mustang, but decided to give Corvette a try. Wow, has this turned out to be a mistake. Other than my obvious stupidity, it's beyond me why someone would buy a $60K + automobile from GM when they clearly have not improved their quality control process since the 1980's...................Sorry for the rant, but it happens when you're PO'd as I am.
Sorry about your A8 issues however Keep in mind that there have been over 100,000 C7s produced with A8 transmissions and the vast majority have had no issues, probably only 3%>5%. However many owners with A8 issues do the same as you and come here to report such and seek info. While this is good it makes A8 issues seem FAR MORE widespread than they actually are.

GM did make some changes in A8 for C7s manufactured after November 2016 I believe it was that reduced issues.
Hope the dealer gets your A8 issues resolved.
Jaylars (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Patman
Race Director

For those of you that have the harsh 1-2 shift when cold, did it do it since day one or did it develop later? I've got just under 5000 miles on my 2018 and I have never experienced a hard 1-2 shift at all, so I'm hoping I never do.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

GM did make some changes in A8 for C7s manufactured after November 2016 I believe it was that reduced issues.
in 2018 GM made the greatest change that will eliminate A8 problems. No, for the new ZR1 they did NOT introduce a new A8 or newer A10 transmission; GM simply REMOVED the AFM from the ZR1 motor. When you have spent millions tooling a motor for the mechanics involved in the AFM mechanism; you can imagine the major expense to RETOOL the motor to eliminate the AFM! GM really never remarked on the reason for this change to eliminate AFM in the ZR1.

personal experience, 1800 miles since March 2018 on a 2017 Stingray A8 purchased new. First 600 miles I used paddles to keep engine out of V4; then plugged in Range AFM. Transmission is shifting flawlessly to date, fingers crossed, Range AFM disabler forever on.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 AM
Blu-Beast
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

My '15 A8 shifted fine & smooth. Only issued I have now is the violent jerking or buckling when shift in D or M. It happens at first start in the morning or few hrs later. It's at the dealer now for the Zaktak coating. They will check on the jerking so we'll see.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerm60
I am saying the same about the 10 speed auto in my Ford 2017 F-150 as are many others. I have super harsh shifts with it when cold. Been in to dealer several times, no resolution yet.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Take it in for service. That sounds off. I had an A8 on my 16 and it was very intuitive. I’d say butter smooth while cruising and aggressive if I was being aggressive. Get it checked
Jaylars (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Jaylars
Pro

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Jay, the rough/hard first shift of the day is just the nature of the beast in my opinion, but it should stop after it warms up. My '16 w/9K miles has done it day one, but it's only the first shift when cold. You may want to have the dealer check yours. And it is designed to go from 3rd to 1st when coming to a stop. My other automatic (non GM) cars do the same thing.

My concern occurs when it's cold, warm, and hot. I am thinking it might require a visit to the dealer
Rebel Yell (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

17 GS A8

Thanks Jay
I hope that sucker is still under warranty! Typically, what you are describing is a reflash of the TCM module. I'd take it in ASAP.

Last edited by gowenfast; 06-15-2018 at 08:23 AM. Reason: additional info
Jaylars (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I have read where guys at very first start shift to M and paddle from 1 to 2 and then proceed as normal and it shifts smoother. Something about a possible tranny component needing to be filled up initially with fluid due to internal leaking down or something to that nature. Sorry I can't remember exactly what it was but try the manual shift initially and see if that makes a difference, can't hurt. Cheers
Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
For those of you that have the harsh 1-2 shift when cold, did it do it since day one or did it develop later? I've got just under 5000 miles on my 2018 and I have never experienced a hard 1-2 shift at all, so I'm hoping I never do.
You're a lucky man Pat, and I hope it stays that way. Mine was from day one, but I will say the first shift in mine is not as bad since the learning curve has settled. If I move out into the roadway at slow pace it will change fairly smooth, but you can still tell it's there.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
You're a lucky man Pat, and I hope it stays that way. Mine was from day one, but I will say the first shift in mine is not as bad since the learning curve has settled. If I move out into the roadway at slow pace it will change fairly smooth, but you can still tell it's there.
I always use a very gentle foot on the gas (with all of my cars) when first starting out cold, so that probably helps, but there really is no hint at all of anything weird with this car (in any respect, knock on wood it's been 100% perfect so far!)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 PM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I learned from a post on the forum..... to eliminate the harsh 1-2 upshift when the car is cold..... just follow this procedure.

While still parked, before putting the car in D, move the shifter down to M, then back up to P, then down to D.

This works every time for me. Eliminates the 1-2 bump.
Jaylars (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

My A8 has 7500 miles now. In the first 1000 miles I got a relatively noticeable shift from 1 to 2 when cold. Never when hot however. Now it is generally smooth. I do use Manual mode 80% of the time however. Sounds like you need to have the A8 Serviced or at least reflashed.

BTW, are you to young to remember the money and trouble we went through on our 700R4s and 4L60s (not Es) to put a shift kit in the valve body to give us those rock hard shifts? I certainly do. My Vettes have been manuals, but I have had A4 Camaros and all would immediately get a TCI shift kit installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question about the A8

Old 06-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 136 Posts

I have an idea. Why doesn't GM purchase 500 thousand Range Devices and give one to every C7 owner with an A8. They would probably be able to get them for half price or even less if they bought that many. Then C7 owners would be able to use the Range device with the blessing of GM. That action would probably significantly reduce the number of torque converter failures. I'm quite sure a Range device even at full price is considerably cheaper than a torque converter replacement.

Last edited by Inferno24; 06-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Black18C7
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I always use a very gentle foot on the gas (with all of my cars) when first starting out cold, so that probably helps, but there really is no hint at all of anything weird with this car (in any respect, knock on wood it's been 100% perfect so far!)
I'm with you. So far I have about 2500 miles and no problems with the 1-2 shift when cold but I'm easy on it as you stated. I have noticed I definitely have the "warble" though. Not tranny related but it's there for sure.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Originally Posted by Inferno18
I have an idea. Why doesn't GM purchase 500 thousand Range Devices and give one to every C7 owner with an A8. They would probably be able to get them for half price or even less if they bought that many. Then C7 owners would be able to use the Range device with the blessing of GM. That action would probably significantly reduce the number of torque converter failures. I'm quite sure a Range device even at full price is considerably cheaper than a torque converter replacement.

I have had a Range since it was brand new. It has been in 4 cyl mode maybe 2-3 times. I even had Range Tech re- flash the AFM Module to the newest firmware, an I still have the hard shifts.

GM should consider dumping the whole idea of 8 cyl deactivation. Produce more 4 banger cars for those that want better MPG.

Quick Reply: Quick question about the A8