Long and Great Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our last trip through Williston was in 2009, just before the oil boom really got going.
I was under the impression that the boom had died out and the Williston area was pretty quiet now.
Is that not correct?
It is getting busier now but not like the boom.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by blueray16
Great trips all.
I'm headed to Glacier in September from New Jersey. Planning on return Via Hwy 2 to Minnesota and the Michigan upper peninsula, but avoiding the traffic and road conditions from oil activity around Williston ND. I'm in training now to make the hike up to the Grinell Glacier (8 miles round trip with 1600' elevation gain.)

Last year, I did Badlands and black Hills of S Dakota, Devils tower ,Sturgis, Deadwood, Rushmore , Custer's battlefield and Yellowstone. Also drove the Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway and the Beartooth Highway. All great rides! ! Especially in the Vette .

I did Arizona and Utah first summer I had the vette (2016). Corvette owners school then Zion NP, Brice canyon and the Arches on the way home.

Missed the Grand canyon on that trip, but going back next September (2019) to the North Rim.

Retired and "seeing the USA" in my C7 Vette
Normally the Going to the Sun road through Glacier is open to mid Oct, but has been known to close early due to early snows. Several years ago, friends went in Sept and they could only drive partway on the western side, turn around, then take Hwy 2 around the park to the eastern side and then drive partway on the Going to the Sun road, and then turn around.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by hill536
Rode the length of HWY 2. The Montana High Line. Railroad on the north side of most of the road which ends at MM 666. It was a - b o r i n g - drive. Grain elevators every 10 -15 miles is about it. Not a lot of traffic into Williston so I wouldn’t worry, but every vehicle an extended cab PU in ND. Still was lots of fun.
I will accept boring. Spent my whole life in NJ,one of the most populous states in the union, so just want to get a feel for what its really like to live in wide open spaces and a whole lot of nothing.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our last trip through Williston was in 2009, just before the oil boom really got going.
I was under the impression that the boom had died out and the Williston area was pretty quiet now.
Is that not correct?
With oil prices back above $60, I think drilling activity is picking up around Williston.
I can imagine tons of truck traffic as the tanker trucks leave loaded with crude and the trucks loaded with sand and drilling supplies head out to the drill sights. All that heavy truck traffic has to be tearing up the roads out there. Should be lots of broken pavement and lots of truck tires to throw it up onto my Vette, so I think I'll avoid the area on general principle.

Last edited by blueray16; 06-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Normally the Going to the Sun road through Glacier is open to mid Oct, but has been known to close early due to early snows. Several years ago, friends went in Sept and they could only drive partway on the western side, turn around, then take Hwy 2 around the park to the eastern side and then drive partway on the Going to the Sun road, and then turn around.
Hope that's not the case. I'll be there early (just after labor day) which should be just fine. Was at Yellowstone same week last year and temps were in the high 80's every day.
Just trying to thread the needle to avoid summer crowds and early winter weather.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:29 PM
hill536
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

I can understand being from NJ and getting out west into the wide open spaces. Thats why we do it we once lived and worked in NYC and parked our car in NJ. Never set foot on grass for years. Special places to travel like Utah, Arizona, Idaho all beautiful. We never spent time in the northen half of Montana so it was time well spent.

The road trips started with a C3, going to Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario and a lot of places in the east and mid west. Our C5 went to the lower 48, going up and down the Cali coast and did Route 66 four times.

Vettes are meant to be driven. They are meant to pass every Prius they come across on a two lane road. 😁

Last edited by hill536; 06-18-2018 at 09:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blueray16 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by hill536
We recently completed a road trip that was just shy of 7500 miles. We left Central Florida at the beginning of May final destination of Glacier National Park in Montana. Then we were off to Minnesota the upper Peninsula Michigan before finally turning south and home.

On the way there we visited Chimney Rock in Nebraska, Devils Tower in Wyoming and Custer’s battlefield in Montana at the Little Big Horn.

We encountered a lot of rain as well as snowy roads and conditions in the Bitterroot Mountains of South West Montana. Using the "Weather" setting for great traction and had no problems. (Used again on the rainy days too!) We’re able to enter the western part of Glacier traveling some 12 miles before it was closed with the 40 mile section connecting it to the eastern entrance still covered in snow. Great views of Lake MacDonald mounts Stanton and Vaught. Then days later we skirted around the southern routes and entered some 6 miles of the eastern half to the rest area of Lake Mary which was also quite nice.

From there we took a leisurely drive along the High Line of Montana - 600 miles that never ends. Then onto a very rainy North Dakota, where we didn’t see much but rain, some of it torrential. On the rainy road a pickup truck in front of me easily went over a fireplace log which I hit #*{[^}%#. It tore off the center section of the rubber skirting under the splitter. A later check of the undercarriage saw that was about all it did.

Then on to Minnesota where we spent four days absolute gorgeous farm country. On one Saturday went to a local gun show ate some great food and found a small leak in my left rear tire. Since it was losing 1 pound of pressure per day I used the compressor to fill it every morning and watched it while we continued until we got back home. The local tire shop took out an eight penny nail FOR FREE.

Of course, the obligatory stop in Bowling Green to see the Museum. A fun day!

The car a 2016LT3, arctic white with a clear top. Last year we made it as far west as Idaho, then south to Nevada, the national parks in Utah and Arizona. All totaled it’s now been to 36 states we are planning to go to Got home, two days shy of a month with the oil change reminder at “0”, replaced the skirting and gave it a good wash THAT TOOK THE BETTER PART OF AN AFTERNOON.

It’s off to Oklahoma in October.

That is all, adios!

What will you be doing in Oklahoma?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blueray16
Hope that's not the case. I'll be there early (just after labor day) which should be just fine. Was at Yellowstone same week last year and temps were in the high 80's every day.
Just trying to thread the needle to avoid summer crowds and early winter weather.

Please give us a report after your trip.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:38 PM
hill536
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427
What will you be doing in Oklahoma?
A unit reunion and dinner! Then off to North Carolina for the Colt Collectors Assn meeting.

Quick Reply: Long and Great Road Trip