Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:02 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
False.

Only the FE2 optioned base Stingrays got 19"/20".

False.

The Z51 uses the same tires as the base Stingrays do.
Ohh Golly Gee your highness they no longer offer the 18/19" option.

Please let me lick your shoes ohh mighty one.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:03 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,610 Likes on 6,621 Posts

You asked for an opinion, here’s mine having owned a C7 Z51 for 3 1/2 years, now a Grand Sport for a year and looking at your wants/needs.

Get the base car in a 2LT. I would not own anything but a 2LT (or 3LT.) If you buy a Grand Sport or spend extra money for the Z51 option be prepared to change brake pads day 1! I changed the Z51 pads after I was cleaning the wheels every ~200 miles for too many months. They not only looked bad the excess dust was pitting my black wheels if I waited! Changed the Grand Sport pads the day I brought it home. Now have Carbotech 1521 ceramic street only pads. I only clean the wheels when I wash the car! If you want to Track keep the OEM race car type pads and reinstall!

For the number of miles you are going to drive getting in and out is a PIA without memory seats. I have mine programmed to go all the way back when I open the door to exit with front and rear up as far as possible as is the steering wheel. I drive with the rear and wheel down and seat moved forward. Save some money and get an M7 trans, more fun and more reliable than the GM A8 slushbox!

I would not drive without HUD. Too many distracted driver AHs and you need to look all over all the time. I have my iPhone set to do not disturber when driving!

The front camera is great in the Grand Sport versus none in my 2014 Z51. It was 3LT but cameras were not available. I would back into parking slots as you can’t se the front of the car. With the camera I pull in to within 6 inches of a curb.

Wrong info on vented seats posted, they work fine. However they delay the time to get the seats heated as there is a ~3/8 mesh under the leather to push the cool cabin air at your rear and back.

The Z51, GS and Z06 have the same suspension: 1) stiff springs, 2) a front sway bar that looks like an axle and 3) a rear sway bar as well! MRC cannot make up for all those stiff components. My Z51 was non MRC and it was not much stiffer than driving the Grand Sport in Touring. In Sport the Grand Sport is definitely stiffer than my none MRC Z51, even on our good roads. MRC is great for the times I put it in Track and exceed 1 "g" in turns. But it rattles your teeth in normal driving! It does not sound like something you will do or want to live with the reduced tire wear that creates!

The base car has weaker springs, a small front sway bar and none in the rear. The 36 mm shocks control the springs fine. Still handles like a sports car.

If you’re not going to push it past 1 “g” in turns the wide tires are a waste! You can Track the base car just not at the max C7 capability, which it does not sound like you are ready for anyway. Tracking costs tires, brake pads, changing brake fluid etc, assuming you don’t run off the road when the costs can increase 10 fold!

One last thing that may appear small is the 2LT has an added subwoofer in the rear! My C6 Z51 3LT did not and with Bose it's hard and expensive to add. Both the C6 and C7 are noisy! The Grand Sport with it’s wide tires even more so. I use the sound system to drown out the noise! When I start the car it plays one of >1000 songs on a thumb drive in shuffle mode at a pretty high volume. It’s seldom off! The C7 subwoofer makes a difference compared to the C6 and it’s needed even more! I’m 75 so I listen to mostly “oldies” but Janise Joplin singing “Cry Baby” as well as Heart and Stevie Nicks solve the noise problem for me! It’s a sports car so little room or desire to add weight for noise insulation. You can search as many have tried to add sound insulation with seats out, three layers of expensive products with only moderate help

Your money your choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
You asked for an opinion, here’s mine having owned a C7 Z51 for 3 1/2 years, now a Grand Sport for a year and looking at your wants/needs.

Get the base car in a 2LT. I would not own anything but a 2LT (or 3LT.) If you buy a Grand Sport or spend extra money for the Z51 option be prepared to change brake pads day 1! I changed the Z51 pads after I was cleaning the wheels every ~200 miles for too many months. They not only looked bad the excess dust was pitting my black wheels if I waited! Changed the Grand Sport pads the day I brought it home. Now have Carbotech 1521 ceramic street only pads. I only clean the wheels when I wash the car! If you want to Track keep the OEM race car type pads and reinstall!

For the number of miles you are going to drive getting in and out is a PIA without memory seats. I have mine programmed to go all the way back when I open the door to exit with front and rear up as far as possible as is the steering wheel. I drive with the rear and wheel down and seat moved forward. Save some money and get an M7 trans, more fun and more reliable than the GM A8 slushbox!

I would not drive without HUD. Too many distracted driver AHs and you need to look all over all the time. I have my iPhone set to do not disturber when driving!

The front camera is great in the Grand Sport versus none in my 2014 Z51. It was 3LT but cameras were not available. I would back into parking slots as you can’t se the front of the car. With the camera I pull in to within 6 inches of a curb.

Wrong info on vented seats posted, they work fine. However they delay the time to get the seats heated as there is a ~3/8 mesh under the leather to push the cool cabin air at your rear and back.

The Z51, GS and Z06 have the same suspension, stiff springs, a front sway bar that looks like an axle. It has a rear sway bar as well! MRC cannot make up for all those stiff components. My Z51 was non MRC and it was not much stiffer than driving the Grand Sport in Touring. In Sport the Grand Sport is definitely stiffer than my none MRC Z51, even on our good roads. Great for the times I put it in Track and exceed 1 "g" in turns but does not sound like something you will do or want to live with the reduced tire wear that creates!

The base car has weaker springs, a small front sway bar and none in the rear. The 36 mm shocks control the springs fine. Still handles like a sports car.

If you’re not going to push it past 1 “g” in turns the wide tires are a waste! You can Track the base car just not at the max C7 capability, which it does not sound like you are ready for anyway. Tracking costs tires, brake pads etc, assuming you don’t run off the road when the costs can increase 10 fold!

One last thing that may appear small is the 2LT has an added subwoofer in the rear! My C6 Z51 3LT did not and with Bose it's hard and expensive to add. Both the C6 and C7 are noisy! The Grand Sport with it’s wide tires even more so. I use the sound system to drown out the noise! When I start the car it plays one of >1000 songs on a thumb drive in shuffle mode at a pretty high volume. It’s seldom off! The C7 subwoofer makes a difference compared to the C6 and it’s needed even more! I’m 75 so I listen to mostly “oldies” but Janise Joplin singing “Cry Baby” as well as Heart and Stevie Nicks solve the noise problem for me! It’s a sports car so little room or desire to add weight for noise insulation. You can search as many have tried to add sound insulation with seats out, three layers of expensive products with only moderate help

Your money your choice!
No one with a 2LT/3LT, ever said; "I wish I'd of bought the 1LT."

MSRC, makes all the difference in the world to suspension/handling of the base Stingray, as well as other Z51.

Just because the thinks he wants a GS, doesn't mean he actually knows what he wants. Especially when he's going to daily drive it on a shoestring budget. What's the point in paying $10,000.00+ for a GS, that he doesn't need or can afford to run?

He's making a huge mistake if he tries to order all that jazz on a lowly/stripped 1LT, and doesn't get a massive/closeout discount price. He's not going to get that ordering one.

Best advice; get a 2LT/3LT trim level ON discount closeout.

There's simply too many already for sale and in stock and readily discounted, to pay the non-heavy discount.

His money, his choice. . Pretty simple, really.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:02 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase. Two options, you will either love the Corvette, or you will hate it. Either outcome, order the 1LT Grand Sport. Full disclosure, I have owned 4 previous corvettes and now own a 2017 Corvette Stingray 1lt, but, its a convertible.

in your case. option 1, you love the corvette. Soon thereafter you may wish to use the corvette as intended, in competition: either drag, autocross or track days at a local race track. A 1lt Stingray will be more than you can handle for awhile, but you will get better, and the 1lt GS will continue your improvement to the point where all that's left is needing more power. Go into competition with a Stingray and the GS's will eat your lunch, and you will think, "duh, I coulda had a GS for less than the cost of a modification to my Stingray!" One of those Lexus moments, you know, L shape of your fingers on your forehead.

option 2, you hate the Corvette. You will be spanked for early termination, but the Grand Sport is the most desired of the Vettes, and early termination will spank you less. Grand Sports are in demand, both now and when the first GS came out again in 2010 with the C6's. Used Grand Sport C6's sell for more than plain C6's, and used Grand Sport C7's will draw more resale value than a comparable year Stingray.

Why don't I own a GS? I value the convertible Stingray more than the competitive edge of a convertible Grand Sport; and no Corvette convertibles: Z51, Z06, Grand Sport or Stingrays are allowed to run at most racetracks. Paying for extra competitive performance in a Corvette convertible is moot.

From your figures, it is apparent you want to buy a coupe, and my advice for a coupe, buy a 1lt Grand Sport, is for the above reasons. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

To go along with commentary on cold weather - that's when the heated/ventilated seats are really nice.
Mine is a 2LT and my first car with heated and ventilated seats - Initially, I was quite ambivalent about them, but they were part of the package so ....

My commute is short enough that in cold weather, the car is just coming up to full temperature as I pull into the parking lot.

Those winter days have shown me the value of the heated seats.

Pretty much the same with the HUD.
Never had one, but now I really miss it when I'm in my C5.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Jerry, re-visit the 'options you could do without' thread and you will find
vented/heated seats are one of the most listed features posters state they could do without.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I almost bought a new 2017 Stingray 3lt earlier this year from a local dealer, but really wanted a GS, but the dealer didn't have any, as well as other local dealers.

I nearly pulled the trigger, but based on my internet research, I tried to get another $2K off the price of the car which was supposedly the average deal for the car in my area. While the dealer still had quite a few 2017 Stingrays in stock, they refused to budge at all off of their stated discounted price. So I walked away.

Shortly afterwards, I found that one the forum dealers here was offering a new 2LT 2018 Grand Sport at a price a bit lower than the local dealer wanted for the 2017 Stingray, so I bought it, and had it shipped.

I still thank the local dealer for turning me down, because I know that I'm much more happy with my GS due to the slightly more aggressive look.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Jerry, re-visit the 'options you could do without' thread and you will find
vented/heated seats are one of the most listed features posters state they could do without.
I wasn't saying it's a top priority option, I didn't list it in my 2LT benfits. The point is the ventilation is actually quite good. In the hot South I use it. The issue is the heating is often rightfully maligned as it takes about 10 minutes for me to have to turn down from 3 bars to 2. Much more than my C6 or the wife's SUV. The reason is the ~3/8 inch layer of open mesh that increases the time it takes for heat conduction from the seat heating elements to get into leather. It is used so the cool cabin air can circulate through to the leather.

But agree it's not a top priority for me in my 2LT selection.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
No one with a 2LT/3LT, ever said; "I wish I'd of bought the 1LT."
I have. Don't get me wrong, loading up a car with all the bells and whistles is nice and all but do you really need or use them is the question. I never had a front camera for the past 30 years so I am not missing it. I normally back into parking spots anyway. I live in Florida so heated seats are a waste and the vented seats barely work as they just recirculate the cabin air with a fan. The rear sub-woofer is barely noticeable to me as I would rather hear the exhaust note. The HUD is pretty cool at first but the novelty quickly wore off and is just not worth a $5k upgrade to me to bump up to a 2LT for it.

Every time I have purchased a loaded up vehicle all that happens is a bigger depreciation from the purchase price. You only wind up getting a very small percentage of those high priced options back when it comes time to sell. And as far as it being an advantage of selling the car, maybe that is true if you plan to sell privately but most will just trade in to a dealer for simplicity and the tax savings.

Last edited by falcon5619; 06-15-2018 at 08:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by falcon5619:
JerriVette (06-19-2018), Kevin A Jones (06-15-2018), SilverGhost (06-15-2018), Spasetrucker (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

The Z51, GS and Z06 have the same suspension: 1) stiff springs, 2) a front sway bar that looks like an axle and 3) a rear sway bar as well! MRC cannot make up for all those stiff components. My Z51 was non MRC and it was not much stiffer than driving the Grand Sport in Touring. In Sport the Grand Sport is definitely stiffer than my none MRC Z51, even on our good roads. MRC is great for the times I put it in Track and exceed 1 "g" in turns. But it rattles your teeth in normal driving! It does not sound like something you will do or want to live with the reduced tire wear that creates!

If you’re not going to push it past 1 “g” in turns the wide tires are a waste! You can Track the base car just not at the max C7 capability, which it does not sound like you are ready for anyway. Tracking costs tires, brake pads, changing brake fluid etc, assuming you don’t run off the road when the costs can increase 10 fold!

[/I][/B]
Regarding MRC, I think it depends on the butt-o-meter of the individual. For example, I could only really "feel" a slight difference between Tour and Track when I had it. I went with a base C7 this time and I think the lack of rear swaybar made the rear suspension wallow around too much. I added the Z51 swaybars and left the base springs and shocks alone and it feels really nice for street driving. It firmed it up just enough and only costs $300 for the swaybar kit.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Personally I think MRC is a big deal. So is the active exhaust. I think the GS is a steal with those and the other cool features it has.
The following 2 users liked this post by red62vette:
Kevin A Jones (06-15-2018), Zealot (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Looking on AutoTrader you can get 2017 2LT GS starting around $59,000. 5-10K miles. If it were my money that's what I'd buy and then not agonize over anything.

Regards,
Z
Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Zealot
Looking on AutoTrader you can get 2017 2LT GS starting around $59,000. 5-10K miles. If it were my money that's what I'd buy and then not agonize over anything.
Last year I bought my 1LT GS with a few options for $57k. I’d take that over a used 2LT at $59k any day.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

If winter weather isn’t a factor where you live get the GS, otherwise, tires for cold winter temps will be an issue. Michelin is supposedly prepping winter fits for this year.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Regarding MRC, I think it depends on the butt-o-meter of the individual. For example, I could only really "feel" a slight difference between Tour and Track when I had it. I went with a base C7 this time and I think the lack of rear swaybar made the rear suspension wallow around too much. I added the Z51 swaybars and left the base springs and shocks alone and it feels really nice for street driving. It firmed it up just enough and only costs $300 for the swaybar kit.
IMO the MRC is overhyped! Unless your tracking or making high "g" turns. However I find it does not make the stiff springs and large sway bars in the Z51, GS or Z06 ride like a Cadillac! GM stiffened the new dual coil MRC system in the C7 to a point where a poster said in Track you can feel if you're going over a dime. With my Grand Sport I concur! However it does make quick maneuvers better and I find useful in that situation.

Adding larger sway bars does reduce lean when corning at the expense of a stiffer ride when hitting a bump or hole with one wheel. Turns out the way the transverse springs are mounted in the C7 act like a sway bar but adding the Z51 bars is a help. Have added stiffer sway bars and HD shocks to a number of vehicles. However I recall what Jim Hall of Chaparral fame said about sway bars: "They don't make you corner any quicker but if your going to fast for a corner they let you know you'll be going off the road quicker!"

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:35 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by red62vette
Personally I think MRC is a big deal. So is the active exhaust. I think the GS is a steal with those and the other cool features it has.
I agree
The value one puts on MRC in regard to street use is related to how they choose to use and enjoy their C7. If used primarily for communing, running errands, freeway driving then no real point in having it, now if you enjoy driving winding country roads where you feel the effect, that's a totally different story IMO.

I also agree on the GS package features vs costs. No doubt, a bargain when totaling up what's included for the $10,000.

Z16 GS Performance Package features: Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

If you don't care about the performance advantages or look differences, then get the base car and save a ton of money, even the base model looks and drives great.

But if you are thinking performance, skip the z51 and get the grand sport. For just over 3k, you get the more aggressive look of the GS, better wheels, better brakes, better spoiler, a splitter and side skirts, better suspension components and magnetic ride control.

If you like the look of the GS, you will not be driving around in your GS and look at a stingray and be thinking, man, I'd rather be in that car with warmer seats and another tiny gauge (the instrument cluster already offers you about 50 gauges...) that shows up on my window. Now if you are someone who prefers creature comforts to the exterior look of your vehicle, then there might be other cars you should be looking at that could probably offer better interior comforts than the corvette can. I'd say corvettes are mainly about exterior appearance and performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT

Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
The value one puts on MRC in regard to street use is related to how they choose to use and enjoy their C7. If used primarily for communing, running errands, freeway driving then no real point in having it, now if you enjoy driving winding country roads where you feel the effect, that's a totally different story IMO.
That is why I think it's overhyped! Particularly those who buy the Grand Sport "because they like the looks" and are led to think MRC can compensate for the stiff springs, huge front sway bar and the rear sway bar!

My direct experience with the HD suspension in my none MRC C7 Z51 when I got my Grand Sport showed that in Touring is was only slightly less stiff than my Z51. In Sport is was stiffer (as Tadge said it would be) so drove in Touring but would not call in a soft ride. Folks report the base car is softer as I would expect.

Fortunately I could set the steering response to what I was used to driving the Z51 set in Sport or Track Mode as well as NPP. But no such option for Throttle Response so I had to buy a Vitesse Throttle Controller to cmatch what I was used to. Also the Transient Response of the eLSD and nannie threshold did not match what I was used to.

As you say, when driving fast on twisty open roads or even more taking an off-ramp or slower speed tight turns at high "g" force, as I do frequently around the fountain at the end of my street- Track puts a smile on your face. But if left in Track, even on good roads, it will rattle your teeth!

The GS cost premium IF is well worth it IF you are going to take advantage of the wider tires and other performance features. Also if you can overlook the appearance of the front Spats!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

That is why I think it's overhyped! Particularly those who buy the Grand Sport "because they like the looks" and are led to think MRC can compensate for the stiff springs, huge front sway bar and the rear sway bar!

My direct experience with the HD suspension in my none MRC C7 Z51 when I got my Grand Sport showed that in Touring is was only slightly less stiff than my Z51. In Sport is was stiffer (as Tadge said it would be) so drove in Touring but would not call in a soft ride. Folks report the base car is softer as I would expect.

Fortunately I could set the steering response to what I was used to driving the Z51 set in Sport or Track Mode as well as NPP. But no such option for Throttle Response so I had to buy a Vitesse Throttle Controller to cmatch what I was used to. Also the Transient Response of the eLSD and nannie threshold did not match what I was used to.

As you say, when driving fast on twisty open roads or even more taking an off-ramp or slower speed tight turns at high "g" force, as I do frequently around the fountain at the end of my street- Track puts a smile on your face. But if left in Track, even on good roads, it will rattle your teeth!

The GS cost premium IF is well worth it IF you are going to take advantage of the wider tires and other performance features. Also if you can overlook the appearance of the front Spats!
It would be interesting to know what % of GS purchasers bought for the wide-body look as opposed to the performance advantages over Stingray?
My gut says, about 70% purchase for the 'LOOK', I may be a bit high.

In regard to the ride, I'm very impressed with my GS's comfort of ride in touring mode, however I admit it may have something to do with my DD being a 22 year old Tacoma 4x4 with 409,000 miles on it.
While being among the toughest trucks on the planet, certainly not the smoothest riding. Also C2s-3s ride like hay wagons.
So the GS ride obviously feels good to me.

The look of the spats don't bother me as they do some, I don't really notice them much as they do 'fit into' the overall 'bad-***' look of the wide-body.
Now spats on a base Stingray would stick out like a sore thumb and look horrible to me.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

From forum posts it does sound like a lot bought for "looks." The ones that concern me are those who ask if they can install Base suspension as they or the "wife" hates the stiff ride! IMO GM would be wise to have a Grand Sport "Look Alike" as they finally offered for the Z51. That would be the base car with wide tires. Then they would have their softer ride, no dry sump they don't need and the many other performance options they will never use. The GS owner would not have to change the brake pads as I did on day one for low dusting ceramic Carbotech 1521 pads or deal with incompetent dealer techs who screw-up dry sump oil changes! Could be extra margin for GM as they would not have to decrease the price in proportion to what they remove!

All my 5 Vettes and my modified S10 when between Vettes have had HD suspension. In fact all my DD's have been that way since the '41 Ford coupe I stuffed in an Olds engine when I was a teenager! So I agree the ride is fine, especially on the relatively good roads we have in Eastern SC.

When the Z06 came out the spats reminded me of my old CJ5 Jeep! It was fine there but on a $60,000+ car? When Tadge answered a question in an "Ask Tadge Post" that said they considered options but for performance, appearance and drag reasons the Spates were the solution selected to deal with the wider tires. The GS front fenders are different than the base car so since new composite molds were made, it would have been easy to make them wider for it and the Z06! Since IMO "Form Follows Function" his post made they "look a bit better to me!" However I added Stage 3 winglets to my Stage 2 aero option that with the ACS wider, deeper front splash guards help integrate the look, IMO.

IMO, Stage 3 Winglets and ACS Front Splash Guards Help Integrate The Look of the Spats.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT