Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT

Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 AM
getmyvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT

Hi guys, I am going to order my first vette and it will be my daily driver and only car for up to 18k miles a year. That said I can afford a max of a GS 1lt.

base 1lt is about $53k 2lt $55.3 and GS 1lt is $58.5k . Where is the smart money ? I do like the sound of 2lt features (mostly the front camera and vent seats) and GS wide body looks but cant have both. All 3 would have MSRC. I am concerned that the GS would have a much higher operating cost with tires brakes oil. from what I'm gathering i should either go base 1lt or GS 1lt and skip over the 2lt stingray because the seats dont vent that great anyways and front camera could be modded in somehow.
I have never done track days but wouldn't mind trying it out with either cars who knows maybe ill get hooked. Im not experienced at all in that
I would own the car for about 4-5 years and sell, does the GS really hold its value that much better? Even if it has high mileage I plan to put on?

thanks for your input

Last edited by getmyvette; 06-15-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

No question I would opt for the grand sport 1LT. Btw my dentist friend drove my corvette and was hooked... We called out Les Stanford and he flew out and got a 1LT manual grand sport for 56888. Said the 9 hour drive home over the weekend was one of the best adventures of his life....(@nd he has a really beautiful wife and three kids too) He loves his corvette grand sport 1LT and in the torch red ..WoW!looks like a million bucks!

You asked for opinions ..and the 1LT is plenty of car just as it is.

That is the model revered as the most balanced performance corvette in the c7 lineup.

I’ve owned three new corvettes 2 were 1LT s and one was a 2 LT ....and after six months the various extra options were never used...

Just my opinion ...as I prefer the 1LT option...

And of course the grand sport is a preferred model.

Good luck in deciding

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-15-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO, the base 1lt or 2lt is your best bet for a daily driver. You also don’t need MRC if you go with the base as the suspension is the softest of the bunch. The GS is great but it will come with loads of brake dust, giant 325 rear width tires that ride rough and cost more, dry sump for more expensive oil changes down the road once your freebies from gm are up.

I have a base 1lt and picked it up for $48k back in nov when the sales were going on. It just has machined wheels and the z51 spoiler and is all I need. If you think you gotta have the hud, heated/vented seats and front camera the spring for the 2lt. I didn’t need those thing a for like $5k more.

As for mileage, 18k per year on a corvette is high so if you plan for 70-90k miles after 4-5 years the no particular model is really going to help resale. In that case, just buy the cheapest corvette possible to minimize your total cost of ownership. Financially, You would be better off buying a used corvette with 20k miles or less and then just put your 18k a year on it. Another option is to buy a beater for you daily driving and save the corvette for those nice days.

Last edited by falcon5619; 06-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,561 Likes on 5,547 Posts

Stingray 2LT:
Will be slightly less cost to operate than a GS considering the tires and dry-sump.
Front camera is handy especially if it's your first Corvette to insure you don't run up on the un-seen. From posts here, most state vented seats are pretty worthless. Many value the 2LT option mostly because of the HUD. If that's not important to you, then the 2LT upgrade may not be worth the $4500 to you.

GS 1LT:
If you like the wide-body look then definitely go with the GS as you will most likely regret it if you don't. Grandsports come nicely equipped even at the 1LT level and hold their resale value considerably better than base Stingrays. It's certainly not like 1LTs are stripped down bare bones sportscars. The $10,000 GS package probably offers more bank for the buck then any other C7 upgrade (see feature list below). If you plan on tracking your C7, then definitely go with the GS. Some say the GS option is not utilized on the street however I love the feel it provides in sport mode on a winding country road, feels as though you are one with the road yet still offers a very comfortable riding experience in touring mode on the highway.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

In summation, from your opening post, it probably boils down to how much you prefer the wide-body look. If you can take it or leave it go Stingray, if you really dig the look then go GS. The last thing you want is to diminish your new C7 experience by regretting you didn't get the GS.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Unless you love the wide body look of the GS, for a DD, IMHO the sweet spot is the 2LT base. Plus the tires of the base will last longer. Now if you were tracking the car that is another story...
Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Maximize your corvette experience and get the grand sport...

The extra cost of ownership over the base model is minimal.

Live the dream big if your doing it...

This life is one journey one trip...go for the whole nine yards...the cost differential is minimal..

Get the grand sport 1LT total package when it comes to performance and balance.

The standard stingray is cool...no insult to those that own one...but with the grand sport being available for as little as 56888 what the hell...go for that wide body beast and laugh every day you start your day...

Btw get a GM credit card...charge up some life expenses if you have the time..and GM usually sends you an offer of an extra grand or two from time to time as well to move year end left overs on the card in addition to the points you’ve accumulated...

Back in 1998 My first corvette I was 39 and a day and I had accumulated 7 grand in bonus points...at that point and ordered my first red corvette at the time...

I’m not saying save that many points these days ...but a few grand couldn’t hurt since GM sends increases to motivate GM card holders into stepping up to the plate...

Just an idea..

I’m cheap SOB sometimes but I’d opt for the grand sport if I were you...

Btw I daily drive my corvette, it’s a c6z51manual 1LT (they didn’t have grand sports back then) and I’ve got 122k totally trouble free miles...

I love this thing...

The residual drops dramatically after 100k miles...but the god dam car has been so utterly reliable and still looks brand new so I couldn’t bring myself after three new corvettes to sell this one...

I may pick up a rear mid engine c8 in time for my 60th next year or so...but I’ll probably keep this corvette I own since over 100k miles everyone is afraid to buy a “car with over 100k miles” I have bought new cars for forty years and having owned this corvette for 122k miles...I can assure you there is no reason to not ru. These things as daily drivers..

I’m still getting thumbs up, guys on the highway in traffic asking me how I enjoy driving my corvette and giving me big props...beautiful girls smiling and telling me to this day they “like my car”...the entire experience has been a hoot..

Just one piece of advice..if you drive

18k miles a year decide before you hit a hundred thousand what your plan is because once you go over 100k the buyers can’t really get bank loans or someth8ng because the value plummets...

As far as I’m concerned...I’m driving for free at this point..

Since GM validates for 300k Miles..these corvettes are the best daily drivers...

I think it was a water pump weeping, a battery every 36 months, oil changes every -6k to 8k miles , brake pads every 50k ( I didn’t bother to change the rotors on the second 50k Miles and I can’t tell any reason to change the rotors as long as you change the pads before they score the rotors...and new tires every 20k....although my latest set of michlens are going to last even longer

These cars are bullit proof and the thumbs I get for driving my corvette as a daily makes me laugh everyday...

Btw the mileage is 27 on the highway 17 around town...

Get the grand sport and don’t worry about the few extra pennies ..

I’ve seen some grand sports with 1000preowmed miles where the owner bought the coupe and wants a convertible etc let their low mileage grand sport go for 52grand...which could solve your cost concerns,,not sure if you want low mileage preowned ...just saying keep an eye out.

Just my opinion..

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-15-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Stingray 2LT:
Will be slightly less cost to operate than a GS considering the tires and dry-sump.
Front camera is handy especially if it's your first Corvette to insure you don't run up on the un-seen. From posts here, most state vented seats are pretty worthless. Many value the 2LT option mostly because of the HUD. If that's not important to you, then the 2LT upgrade may not be worth the $4500 to you. Having said the above, if I were to go with the base Stingray I would go 2LT to help future resale value.

GS 1LT:
If you like the wide-body look then definitely go with the GS as you will most likely regret it if you don't. Grandsports come nicely equipped even at the 1LT level and hold their resale value considerably better than base Stingrays. It's certainly not like 1LTs are stripped down bare bones sportscars. The $10,000 GS package probably offers more bank for the buck then any other C7 upgrade (see feature list below). If you plan on tracking your C7, then definitely go with the GS.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

In summation, it probably boils down to how much you prefer the wide-body look. If you can take it or leave it go Stingray, if you really dig the look then go GS. The last thing you want to is diminishing your new C7 experience by regretting you didn't get the GS.

Hope this helps.
Agreed, but none of these specific trims levels will help resale for the OP if he plans to have 90k miles on the car after 5 years. How many people do you know lining up for a sports car with 90k miles on it? Go look at some used corvettes with high mileage on them, the values tank.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM
jonebone
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I could have gone the new 1LT GS route but I chose the slightly used 2LT Z51 route and am quite happy. Got all of the options I wanted at a significantly better price, and got a 5 year extended warranty so I have no worries.

No way I'd get a GS as a daily driver, maintenance on that is going to add up quicker than you realize.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 AM
getmyvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of a difference are we talking about in Tire and brake life/cost between a GS and base with z51 wheels ? Is it really true that GS tires cost 300 each and only 2 options to chose from? Are base tires half that?

are base corvettes not trackable or will it be fine even with the wet sump oil? I do want to try it at least once or twice during my ownership never had a sports car before. I am not a track junkie one bit

Also the matter of MSRC, y'all saying its not necessary for a base car? I was going to get it because i thought once in a while id want a firm sporty ride.

Last edited by getmyvette; 06-15-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getmyvette
How much of a difference are we talking about in Tire and brake life/cost between a GS and base with z51 wheels ? Is it really true that GS tires cost 300 each and only 2 options to chose from? Are base tires half that?

are base corvettes not trackable or will it be fine even with the wet sump oil? I do want to try it at least once or twice during my ownership never had a sports car before. I am not a track junkie one bit

Also the matter of MSRC, y'all saying its not necessary for a base car? I was going to get it because i thought once in a while id want a firm sporty ride.
2017 base oem tire set ~$1100, uses 18/19 tire size combo
2018 base/z51 oem tire set ~$1400
2017/2018 Grandsport oem tire set ~$1740

MRC is up to you. Go test drive it. I have owned it before in a Camaro SS and could barely notice a difference. The reality is that for a daily driver you will probably set it in tour or sport mode and forget it. Most want it to soften up a z51 suspension which for some can be too harsh for daily driving depending on the quality of your roads. The base car has the softest setup of them all, even compared to cars with MRC. Sounds like you should go test drive them.

Last edited by falcon5619; 06-15-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Get the MRC as it’s awesome...and the tire cost is nothing over 20k miles..plus there are take offs from time to time on the forums...

Over 20k miles the cost differential is nothing...

Same for the oil changes and brake pads which in a daily last 50k Miles..

Get the car with the full boat grand sport 1LT that you want...

I’m all for saving cash but not at the expense of living the dream...

Get the corvette that screaming “buy me”

You get the grand sport you’ll be smiling every day just a little bigger smile and that’s why you want the grand sport 1LT.

Once the c8 rolls out the tires for the grand sport will get less expensive and other brands will become available if you just got to save a few bucks..

There is a new Mobil one that’s on tv that lasts 20k miles so plan for that to save a few dollars if you must...and fwiw...brake pads at advanceauto zone can be had for less if again you need to watch every dollar...

Don’t save a few dollars and diminish your corvette ownership experience..

You know you want the 1LT grand sport....hehe..

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-15-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

If a 1lt is your only path to a GRand Sport, look no further IMHO
Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,561 Likes on 5,547 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Agreed, but none of these specific trims levels will help resale for the OP if he plans to have 90k miles on the car after 5 years. How many people do you know lining up for a sports car with 90k miles on it? Go look at some used corvettes with high mileage on them, the values tank.
Though while I agree with you as to trim levels/options not adding significant monetary value to a 90K mile C7, they will most likely come into play and be beneficial if in 5 years the OP has a potential buyer trying to decide between his GS and another's base Stingray at near or same price.

Originally Posted by getmyvette

Additional costs maintaining the GS over a base Stingray over 5 years ownership will probably be an additional $4000 +/- total for street use if you are not an overly aggressive driver.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, at least for me, the MSRC offers benefit in ride whether for street or track.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-15-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I respectfully disagree that the cost of ownership of a grand sport over a standard stingray would from a maintaince standpoint cost 4 to five grand unless you are including the extra cost to include the added purchase price..

I retired a millionaire a dozen years ago... I live in a near million dollar home...I analyzed business plans for decades for multi million dollar businesses...

I just work out and train at the gym(with a hottie trainer) and lay by the pool with beautiful women as I roll towards 60 next year...(and I play on the various forums....too...lol)

Trust me...I’m all for saving money on purchases but you want the grand sport And the added running cost will be almost nothing extra ...when you calculate the time between needed maintaince...

Don’t buy a standard stingray because the grand sport tires are a few dollars extra every 20k Miles...doesn’t make sense...to not buy a grand sport because of that...

Same for the 50k miles between brake pad replacements...

If your really into minimizing running costs ..then

Just don’t bother replacing the rotors....just change the pads before they dig into the rotor...then just change the pads..I did it both ways and I can’t tell any difference with just changing the pads and leaving the rotors untouched...no cutting..no nothing...just change the pads before they completely wear out and score the rotors...drives just the same as when I changed the rotors..the first time..I replaced the brakes..

That’s the whole added expense plus an extra few quarts of oil every 6to 8 k miles ..

I’m all for logic and saving money...but first and foremost...get the 1LT grand sport you know you really want

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-15-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Though while I agree with you as to trim levels/options not adding significant monetary value to a 90K mile C7, they will most likely come into play if in 5 years the OP has a potential buyer trying to decide between his GS and another's base Stingray at near or same cost.
Agreed, but the reality is in 5 years from now most people will just be trading it in at a dealers lot and the dealer will just put below average wholesale value on it. Furthermore, tech changes so fast, what looks like great features today in the grandsport wont be all that exciting in 5 years. The 90k miles is a killer on a corvette. 90k miles on a corolla, Camry, pickup truck for work may be ok but on a corvette it is a killer resalewise.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Rather than making a case for what I'd buy, suggest you look at each model and their respective pricing. Look at the options that are important to you and if you think their cost is worth it.

Base C7 1LT (nice fully loaded car).

Base GS 1LT (nice fully loaded car w/ a wide body and track oriented upgrades)

2LT (Nice fully loaded car w/ extras not found in the other two -question is, whether the up-charge for what you get is worth it over the 1LT ).

Ultimately, the car will be yours so what others would choose or what the consensus is shouldn't influence your choice anymore than which color others think you should get.

If I went with what is most popular , I'd be driving a white Z51 2LT w/ black wheels.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM
WoodyP
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Maximize your corvette experience and get the grand sport...

The extra cost of ownership over the base model is minimal.

Live the dream big if your doing it...

This life is one journey one trip...go for the whole nine yards...the cost differential is minimal..

Get the grand sport 1LT total package when it comes to performance and balance.

The standard stingray is cool...no insult to those that own one...but with the grand sport being available for as little as 56888 what the hell...go for that wide body beast and laugh every day you start your day...

Btw get a GM credit card...charge up some life expenses if you have the time..and GM usually sends you an offer of an extra grand or two from time to time as well to move year end left overs on the card in addition to the points you’ve accumulated...

Back in 1998 My first corvette I was 39 and a day and I had accumulated 7 grand in bonus points...at that point and ordered my first red corvette at the time...

I’m not saying save that many points these days ...but a few grand couldn’t hurt since GM sends increases to motivate GM card holders into stepping up to the plate...

Just an idea..

I’m cheap SOB sometimes but I’d opt for the grand sport if I were you...

Btw I daily drive my corvette, it’s a c6z51manual 1LT (they didn’t have grand sports back then) and I’ve got 122k totally trouble free miles...

I love this thing...

The residual drops dramatically after 100k miles...but the god dam car has been so utterly reliable and still looks brand new so I couldn’t bring myself after three new corvettes to sell this one...

I may pick up a rear mid engine c8 in time for my 60th next year or so...but I’ll probably keep this corvette I own since over 100k miles everyone is afraid to buy a “car with over 100k miles” I have bought new cars for forty years and having owned this corvette for 122k miles...I can assure you there is no reason to not ru. These things as daily drivers..

I’m still getting thumbs up, guys on the highway in traffic asking me how I enjoy driving my corvette and giving me big props...beautiful girls smiling and telling me to this day they “like my car”...the entire experience has been a hoot..

Just one piece of advice..if you drive

18k miles a year decide before you hit a hundred thousand what your plan is because once you go over 100k the buyers can’t really get bank loans or someth8ng because the value plummets...

As far as I’m concerned...I’m driving for free at this point..

Since GM validates for 300k Miles..these corvettes are the best daily drivers...

I think it was a water pump weeping, a battery every 36 months, oil changes every -6k to 8k miles , brake pads every 50k ( I didn’t bother to change the rotors on the second 50k Miles and I can’t tell any reason to change the rotors as long as you change the pads before they score the rotors...and new tires every 20k....although my latest set of michlens are going to last even longer

These cars are bullit proof and the thumbs I get for driving my corvette as a daily makes me laugh everyday...

Btw the mileage is 27 on the highway 17 around town...

Get the grand sport and don’t worry about the few extra pennies ..

I’ve seen some grand sports with 1000preowmed miles where the owner bought the coupe and wants a convertible etc let their low mileage grand sport go for 52grand...which could solve your cost concerns,,not sure if you want low mileage preowned ...just saying keep an eye out.

Just my opinion..

Nice reply but I have to throw in that MY car is not bullet proof. It is back in the shop for the 2nd time in 3 months for transmission issues. Only 16k on the clock. A8 had a few design flaws and I happen to have one that's one of the first.

That is the last time I buy so close to a new model year or design. I would say buying now would be a good idea after everyone ran out the bugs.

Thankfully GM is covering it all under warranty.

The GS has more WOW factor and that's kind of what it's about for corvettes in my mind.

I have a 2lt and it goes to work 2 times a week. The roads here are so dirty even spacing out behind drivers I get debris hitting it all the time.

If you want to daily drive a corvette the best value is the cheapest version 1LT. The most fun is the cars with more bling.

You can't really go wrong but your baby will get worn out both mechanically and visually putting 18k on it a year. But maybe you will just buy a new one when it gets old.

Good Luck.

Post up what you buy!

Wood P

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT

Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Woody some guys are unlucky and so em guys are..

I’ m on my third new corvette and for me...this one has been fantastic at 122k miles...

I have a severely handicapped autistic 22year old so little things like a weeping water pump replacement at 80k Miles was nothing...I think it was $400 or something to fix.

I’m driving a stick shift and I’m still on the original clutch...! What the f?

I don’t know about the 8 speed automatic but GM did have a few issues early on that I assume they figured out...

The 8 speed automatic I’m sure is now all figured out and would be a slick option for a daily driver..

I do enjoy driving my stick shift just 12k miles a year...I’d imagine 18k will be nothing extra on the car...

If you get a lemon like woody then sell the car and buy a new one...

I doubt the original poster will.

Think positive and have fun.

Life is too short for not living it to the fullest.

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-15-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Grand Sport,no brainer.
JerriVette (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Stingray 2lt is the way to go. Better equipped better ride, looks only Corvette owners and wannabes know the difference.
WKM (06-17-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to decide between daily driver base 1/2 LT or GS 1LT