Vitesse = WOW

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:06 AM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Makitso
So if the Vitesse gives WOT at say 50% pedal travel, is there is any disappointment that there is nothing left for the last 50%?
Apparently I'm on the side that doesn't get it, maybe 19's are different, but I think my throttle response is right on.
That’s an interesting point. For me, when I learned to drive 50 years ago, it was drilled into my head that I should pretend there’s an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Anyone else ever hear that one? Maybe it was that or because the cars I drove had mechanical linkage to a carburetor sitting on big V8’s, but I’ve always had a light touch on the gas pedal. With the VTC I can find a setting that helps make the car be responsive without having to mash the pedal way down.

But, if you’re conditioned to routinely make full use of the pedal movement then you may find the VTC to be too twitchy at the top and have ‘dead space’ at the bottom. You would have to get yourself calibrated to using the pedal differently.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

In order to "get it", you have to drive with it.
The feeling of "taking off" with minimal pedal push is exhilarating.

Yea yea, one can always drive heavy footed for the same effect, but for most of us, going 50-75% throttle at a slight push of the pedal say 10-15% down, gives a tremendous spirited "feel" of how the car operates...

People who have driven my car, (3) (2 sons and my neighbor), so far, have all said the same thing:
"Man, Ellis, this thing REALLY flys as soon as I hit the gas"!

And of course I preached "just take it easy" prior to anyone getting behind the wheel...
(Set at SP7)

The Vitesse is truly the definitive of SOTP feel! Believe it or not...

Last edited by YO-EL; 06-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Makitso
So if the Vitesse gives WOT at say 50% pedal travel, is there is any disappointment that there is nothing left for the last 50%?
Apparently I'm on the side that doesn't get it, maybe 19's are different, but I think my throttle response is right on.
Just checked and the 2019 is the same as my 2017. To get the max GM throttle response you have to be in Track. See pic below from the Owner's Manual. It depends on what Mode you drive in! Guess it's what you get used to!

Funny just posted in another thread a response to a poster. Might find these post useful:

"Billy 346
After I bought my car, I was sick for a little while that I didn't get the magnetic ride. (My car was a leftover 2017) . After owning the car for a while, I've discovered that I don't like toggling between the various modes because it changes the throttle sensitivity. When driving a manual, this is a pain because when you change from "tour" to "sport", it throws off your clutch / throttle timing. I've started just leaving the car in "sport" for about 95% of my driving.
One other observation: The only time I miss options that I didn't get is when I'm not driving the car. My car has everything I want for my driving experience.
My Response:
That is what I found in reverse! I never realized how much I was expecting the "faster throttle response" that I had for 3 1/2 years because I drove my none MRC Z51 in a mode that provided the max GM throttle response at the time! I never drove in Touring or ECO!

Then when I got my Grand Sport, that "old man throttle tip-in setting" as I call it, when driving in Touring for ride, was so different from how I had driven for 3 1/2 years I bought a Vitesse Throttle Control and set it at 4 or 5 which from my experience performs like my 2014 with Max GM throttle response.

In addition, if you have to make a fast transient move (for example having to avoid an 18 wheeler tire tread on an Interstate) Sport and Track settings are also a benefit! In fact after getting the MRC software update I am driving in Sport with an acceptable ride quality! I was changing modes when going fast on my favorite 270 degree exit ramp or going around the 100 foot diameter fountain at the end of my street. But no time to adjust from Touring to Track when I see a tire tread on the Interstate!"

To get the max GM supplied Throttle Response you have to drive in Track Mode. I get that in any Mode with the Vitesse set at 5!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Blown away on my ride into work - amazing response just wants take off - man this thing is awesome

Did notice that the numbers change like to R15 - R30 etc. is that normal after getting off the gas returns SP7 - is that normal think it is just didnt expect it
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by SD_Dave

That’s an interesting point. For me, when I learned to drive 50 years ago, it was drilled into my head that I should pretend there’s an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. Anyone else ever hear that one? Maybe it was that or because the cars I drove had mechanical linkage to a carburetor sitting on big V8’s, but I’ve always had a light touch on the gas pedal. With the VTC I can find a setting that helps make the car be responsive without having to mash the pedal way down.

But, if you’re conditioned to routinely make full use of the pedal movement then you may find the VTC to be too twitchy at the top and have ‘dead space’ at the bottom. You would have to get yourself calibrated to using the pedal differently.
That was my point. It doesn't bother me to use full pedal travel, and I prefer it that way. I don't see getting 50% throttle w/ a small touch of the pedal as an advantage. It's a simple matter of moving your foot just a little further, which requires next to zero extra effort.

And once again, I am one of those who has evaluated the C7 both ways. I prefer the OEM set-up.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Blown away on my ride into work - amazing response just wants take off - man this thing is awesome

Did notice that the numbers change like to R15 - R30 etc. is that normal after getting off the gas returns SP7 - is that normal think it is just didnt expect it
Interesting since I have my remote control mounted where the LED is not easily visible never knew it displayed Resistance (I assume the R) then the Setting when the pedal was not depressed! That is your setting, Sport #7! I use Sport #5. As I have posted Vitesse says #5 is a linear response and the 3 1/2 years driving my 2014 Z51 none MRC it was set at the GM max because of my drive mode. You would have to set a current MRC equipped car in Track to get the GM max setting. A setting of 7 is faster than GM makes available.

Only time I saw the resistant numbers is when it was being installed and it showed the resistant with the pedal not depressed and when depressed fully when calibrating. No need to record the numbers it just remembers those when you press the button!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
Interesting since I have my control mounted where the LED is not easily visible never knew it displayed Resistance (I assume the R) then the Setting when the pedal was not depressed! That is your setting, Sport #7!

Only time I saw the resistant numbers is when it was being installed and it showed the resistant with the pedal not depressed and when depressed fully. No need to record it just remembers those when you press the button!
Ah interesting Jerry - have to send an e-mail to Vitesse if this is normal - working great just wondering why its changing numbers - maybe you should look at your as your cruising along thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Just called Vitesse - they said that R designation is rate of acceleration so Jerry you never noticed it I'll bet - check it out numbers do change - all good
JerryU (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
In order to "get it", you have to drive with it.
The feeling of "taking off" with minimal pedal push is exhilarating.

Ye yea, one can always drive heavy footed for the same effect, but for most of us, going 50-75% throttle at a slight push of the pedal say 10-15% down, gives a tremendous spirited "feel" of how the car operates...

People who have driven my car, (3) (2 sons and my neighbor), so far, have all said the same thing:
"Man, Ellis, this thing REALLY flys as soon as I hit the gas"!

And of course I preached "just take it easy" prior to anyone getting behind the wheel...
(Set at SP7)

The Vitesse is truly the definitive of SOTP feel! Believe it or not...
I disagree completely. Nothing like mashing it all the way to the floor for that truly exhilarating feeling. You've fixed a problem that doesnt exist, and spent money and time to do it. No thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Just called Vitesse - they said that R designation is rate of acceleration so Jerry you never noticed it I'll bet - check it out numbers do change - all good
Interesting! Maybe I'll use a mirror!

I can see the LED with car idling and I am outside! Could use a mirror! As I have mentioned, the knew control **** is a click adjust so full CCW is "0" where Vitesse says it does not alter the OEM setting. So I just start there and go 5 clicks to get to #5 what Vitesse says is a linear response. I just keep it there. When it's below 40/45 and I use Weather Mode I could just turn full CCW.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 10:58 AM.
rsvette12 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
I disagree completely. Nothing like mashing it all the way to the floor for that truly exhilarating feeling. You've fixed a problem that doesnt exist, and spent money and time to do it. No thanks.
We all have to "smash the pedal" to the floor to get fully open throttle regardless of out Vitesse setting! And I do frequently!

Guess GM was solving a problem "not know to exist" when they supplied 4 throttle response settings for Weather Mode, Touring, Sport and Track Mode. I drove my 2014 none MRC at max GM throttle response because of where I set my drive mode.

All I accomplish in my Grand Sport because of the setting I use is providing the equivalent of the GM supplied Max Throttle Response whatever drive mode I'm in! I could do that in Track Mode if I wanted to live with my teeth rattling!

I don't care if you add one or not! To each their own.

PS: See we have ~2500 silent majority who have viewed this Thread versus the ~50 of us who have posted. Just want a new visitor to understand what it does and that their drive mode does change the throttle response.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
pdiddy972 (06-20-2018), rsvette12 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 AM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryU
Interesting! Maybe I'll use a mirror!

I can see the LED with car idling and I am outside! Could use a mirror! As I have mentioned, the knew control **** is a click adjust so full CCW is "0" where Vitesse says it does not alter the OEM setting. So I just start there and go 5 clicks to get to #5 what Vitesse says is a linear response. I just keep it there. When it's below 40/45 and I use Weather Mode I could just turn full CCW.

The VTC mount made by Sandyeggo Designs puts it where you can see it easily.

Last edited by SD_Dave; 06-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SD_Dave:
JerryU (06-18-2018), rsvette12 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Can still do that bro....
There was NEVER a problem to fix...

The point is MORE throttle with LESS pedal pressure...

Like I said, its more fun getting there (pedal to the floor) if you desire.
And honestly, its money WELL SPENT!
I LOVE the way my car feels & drives with it!
Soooo much better than before I had it!

But since you don't have it, you wouldn't know.
I'd be curious to see if your opinion changed if you ever have the opportunity to drive a car with the Vitesse.

Like you said, you can still mash it for 100% WOT..
The big difference is on the way there!
The following 2 users liked this post by YO-EL:
JerryU (06-18-2018), rsvette12 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

So many words for such a normal human phenomenon . . . It's just a matter of personal preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Kent1999 (06-18-2018), rsvette12 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the OEM tune/mapping is somewhat arbitrary, or at least it's not set to optimize the driving experience. My guess is that it's set to aid MPG ratings. Just a guess. In any event, it would be surprising if that setting turned out to be the preferred setting for a driver. That is, if the controller were installed on a car, I would be surprised if anyone's preferred setting would be 0 (OEM).
Old 06-18-2018, 12:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
So many words for such a normal human phenomenon . . . It's just a matter of personal preference.
IF folks understand the GM proves 4 different Throttle Resppnse Rates so what you have is dependent on what Drive Mode you use.

If GM had provided a Throttle Control Option as they have Steering and NPP I would not need a Viresse Controller!

As I have with Steering Resonse, it’s set in always Sport regardless of my Drive Mode.
NPP is set as always Track Mode regardless of my Drive Mode.
I would have set Throtle Control to always Track Mode! Note some folks want it even faster, which is their option.

But GM does NOT supply that option. So my Vitesse setting of #5, which they say is linear, is about what I had for 3 1/2 years in my none MRC Z51.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 12:49 PM.
pdiddy972 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Why does everything have to be about 'fixing a problem'? Did you buy a Corvette to fix a problem? Or do you just like it?
The following 2 users liked this post by SD_Dave:
JerryU (06-18-2018), pdiddy972 (06-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Vitesse = WOW

Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Forgot to mention I am running a Range Technology - v8 all the time and no NNP fuse installed
Old 06-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Whats the change except there is less mashing to obtain the same exhilaration?

Less mashing, more go.....works for me
Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

LOL, I forgot to mention I'm driving an M7, which never goes into V4 mode unless you select Economy mode.
rsvette12 (06-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Vitesse = WOW