Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parabolic mirror for C7s?

Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Parabolic mirror for C7s?

Hello. I am awaiting my ZR1 order to be built and already know I would like to add a parabolic mirror overlay like I've used on my F150 and Z4 M Coupe to decrease the C7's rear quarter blindspots. I haven't found an appropriate product online yet. So please help.

The link below is for some generic mirror which I would NOT use on a ZR1, lol. But I'm posting it so you can see what type of product I'm referring to. I would think someone has to have made a properly-shaped C7 mirror overlay.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

For many years I've used the little round stick-ons on all my vehicles.

I doubt you are going to find a custom para identical in shape and size to the Vette's, if that's what you're looking for..
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Andres Delapaz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know of any blind spot mirrors for the C7 but I did want to say that, if adjusted correctly, all blindspots are eliminated using the stock mirrors.
The following 4 users liked this post by Andres Delapaz:
Art17 (02-13-2019), bassmobile (01-16-2019), jimmbbo (06-21-2018), joemessman (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avanti
For many years I've used the little round stick-ons on all my vehicles.

I doubt you are going to find a custom para identical in shape and size to the Vette's, if that's what you're looking for..
-Personally I hate the little round stick-ons because they are too small for me to see clearly, and they block part of the actual mirror. I'd be really surprised if no one made a parabolic cut to the C7's shape because there are SO many C7s the capital outlay would be recouped very quickly. Especially compared to the production (and enthusiast modding level) of Z4s. I suppose I could even have a local glass shop cut and make me mirrors, it would just be more expensive than a mass production unit.

Originally Posted by Andres Delapaz
I don't know of any blind spot mirrors for the C7 but I did want to say that, if adjusted correctly, all blindspots are eliminated using the stock mirrors.
-That is good to know. I felt like I wanted more mirror when I test drove a Z06, but I also didn't feel completely blind. I will need more seat time to be sure. Appreciate the feedback from an owner.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-20-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

What you're looking for are aspheric mirrors. FAIK they're not available. volvos80 cut down a few from another vehicle and sold them to local Corvette owners - I snagged the last one and it was driver side only.

There used to be a manufacturer - Multivex - that made these for a lot of vehicles but they went out of business in the early 2010s. I have a set on a 2009 Tacoma and the view is incredible. I refer to them as my superman mirrors. If they're not in the mirror and you can't see them out of the corner of your eye when looking at the mirror they're not there. The 2nd lane over is fully visible. You can't really compare spot mirrors to them. It's a completely different league. The same for proper adjustment of your mirrors. Shortly someone will post up the jpg. Yes, proper adjustment will help, but there's no comparison to properly adjusted aspherics.

I know of someone that sells them for Tacomas. However he hasn't expressed any interest in offering them for C7s. In lieu of mirrors you can buy a Navtool (see the Geezer Navtool thread) and use side cameras. By all means if you find someone selling them post it here.
Palantirion (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 PM
Bluebeast17
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mustangs come with them stock you might want to see if those are removable and capable of being used in your application.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Emerald Eagle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is the mirror I use on both sides. I started out with a round one and it was just too small. I think this one came from Advanced Auto.

There is a constant commentary, if you set the OE mirrors correctly they are fine. Well as always, it depends.
I am tall and long waist-ed and need to have my head as far back as possible for the best driving position and head room.
From this position if I set the mirrors far enough out to see the adjacent lane I lose the rear view. The stick on mirrors solve this problem. I now can see behind and to the side.
The added benefit is if you use the auto lowering mirrors in reverse you have a detailed view through the flat mirror of where your tires are going and the curved mirror gives you the rest of the picture..
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 PM
GuyQ
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the silly looking round adjustable ones on my Z06 - function over form. I tried all the methods and still had blind spots, with the circles I have a ton more confidence when changing lanes.
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Parabolic mirror ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald Eagle
Here is the mirror I use on both sides. I started out with a round one and it was just too small. I think this one came from Advanced Auto.

There is a constant commentary, if you set the OE mirrors correctly they are fine. Well as always, it depends.
I am tall and long waist-ed and need to have my head as far back as possible for the best driving position and head room.
That's why the mirrors also adjust up and down. That should negate any tallness...

From this position if I set the mirrors far enough out to see the adjacent lane I lose the rear view.
That's what the rear view mirror in the center of the windshield is for! You're mirrors should be set up such that when the car leaves either your right or left side view mirror it's just appearing in your center rear view mirror. If that is not happening then you've not set the mirrors correctly.

I have driven all my life incorrect WRT these mirrors but when it was talked about in this forum I followed the directions and "got it". Now it feels natural to me and I don't find any blind spots now.

Last edited by defaria; 06-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWillys
What you're looking for are aspheric mirrors. FAIK they're not available. volvos80 cut down a few from another vehicle and sold them to local Corvette owners - I snagged the last one and it was driver side only.

There used to be a manufacturer - Multivex - that made these for a lot of vehicles but they went out of business in the early 2010s. I have a set on a 2009 Tacoma and the view is incredible. I refer to them as my superman mirrors. If they're not in the mirror and you can't see them out of the corner of your eye when looking at the mirror they're not there. The 2nd lane over is fully visible. You can't really compare spot mirrors to them. It's a completely different league. The same for proper adjustment of your mirrors. Shortly someone will post up the jpg. Yes, proper adjustment will help, but there's no comparison to properly adjusted aspherics.

I know of someone that sells them for Tacomas. However he hasn't expressed any interest in offering them for C7s. In lieu of mirrors you can buy a Navtool (see the Geezer Navtool thread) and use side cameras. By all means if you find someone selling them post it here.
-Thanks for the correction on the term. And yes, that is exactly what I want and why I want them. I'll have to receive the car first, get used to it, and then see how to make my own if no company wants to step up. The market is there, they are amazing mirrors and should be stock equipment on most vehicles because there really is no downside to them.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

My understanding is that aspherics are allowed in Europe and many cars come with them. IDK if the Euro Vette has them or not. I'm pretty sure the mirrors on the C7 are larger in Europe. Eventually mirrors will be a thing of the past. New fuel economy standards will force the removal of exterior mirrors and the use of cameras instead. I've never seen a C7 w/o mirrors but I've seen a 3rd gen RX7 without them and the difference is stunning. The car is much sleeker without. Right now the US requires exterior mirrors and the driver side has to be flat.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I have no blind spots because my mirrors are adjusted properly. It's possible to do with the factory mirrors.
The following 4 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
defaria (06-21-2018), Douglas Wall (02-12-2019), jimmbbo (06-21-2018), joemessman (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Hello. I am awaiting my ZR1 order to be built and already know I would like to add a parabolic mirror overlay like I've used on my F150 and Z4 M Coupe to decrease the C7's rear quarter blindspots. I haven't found an appropriate product online yet. So please help.

The link below is for some generic mirror which I would NOT use on a ZR1, lol. But I'm posting it so you can see what type of product I'm referring to. I would think someone has to have made a properly-shaped C7 mirror overlay.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9LNMCN...=5623826270301

I am so...considering making these, probably get 3 or 4 calls about it a week

Tks
Chip
Old 06-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9LNMCN?aaxitk=kh3dxWLR8Eii2ZvjVmMpQQ &pd_rd_i=B01N9LNMCN&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&pf_rd_p=3930100107420870094&pf_rd_s=de sktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=no+blind+spot+b mw+mirror&hsa_cr_id=5623826270301
I actually use the ones you show from Amazon. I find the fit very good, similar to the ford mirrors with a minor mod. I found that the tape they use is too thick and makes the mirrors stick out away from the car mirror. I took their tape off and used 2 thinner layers of 3m two sided tape. That allowed the mirrors to sit flush with the car mirror, appearing to be built in. Very happy with the results and I feel much better with the elimination of blind spots. And yes, even if you align the car mirrors properly, you still have issues whenever you or another car changes lanes suddenly...like when a car 2 lanes over suddenly jumps into the lane next to you. You will see this with these mirrors as it's happening, not when it suddenly jumps into your vision. I had the round border mirrors before and they just do not look good. These are borderless and look very good with the car mirrors.

Last edited by Tony1leo; 06-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:45 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories
I am so...considering making these, probably get 3 or 4 calls about it a week

Tks
Chip
Do it! I can provide contact info for the guy doing the Tacoma mirrors. Maybe you can work something out with him. I've heard Camaro's have worse visibility than Corvettes, maybe they're a candidate too.

Last edited by DWillys; 06-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 PM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Got blue tinted convex mirrors (replacement glass) for my Miata, around $65 for the set - can't believe no one makes something similar for the C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Parabolic mirror for C7s?

Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

I saw these all over south FL last week. They go great with chrome wheels.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
Do it! I can provide contact info for the guy doing the Tacoma mirrors. Maybe you can work something out with him. I've heard Camaro's have worse visibility than Corvettes, maybe they're a candidate too.
If he's already making them, I'd bring them to market for him...

Regards
Chip
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
I saw these all over south FL last week. They go great with chrome wheels.

Gawd that's ugly! Why don't you just set your mirrors correctly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parabolic mirror for C7s?