Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parabolic mirror for C7s?

 
Old 06-20-2018, 06:24 PM
  #1  
Palantirion
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Palantirion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: California
Posts: 504
Thanked 94 Times in 74 Posts
Default Parabolic mirror for C7s?

Hello. I am awaiting my ZR1 order to be built and already know I would like to add a parabolic mirror overlay like I've used on my F150 and Z4 M Coupe to decrease the C7's rear quarter blindspots. I haven't found an appropriate product online yet. So please help.

The link below is for some generic mirror which I would NOT use on a ZR1, lol. But I'm posting it so you can see what type of product I'm referring to. I would think someone has to have made a properly-shaped C7 mirror overlay.
Amazon Amazon
Palantirion is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM
  #2  
Avanti
CF Senior Member
 
Avanti's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Bonneville Salt Flats, 223mph Aug. '04
Posts: 5,693
Thanked 566 Times in 408 Posts
Default

For many years I've used the little round stick-ons on all my vehicles.

I doubt you are going to find a custom para identical in shape and size to the Vette's, if that's what you're looking for..
Avanti is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Avanti For This Useful Post:
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 PM
  #3  
Andres Delapaz
Junior Member
 
Andres Delapaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I don't know of any blind spot mirrors for the C7 but I did want to say that, if adjusted correctly, all blindspots are eliminated using the stock mirrors.
Andres Delapaz is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andres Delapaz For This Useful Post:
Art17 (02-13-2019), bassmobile (01-16-2019), jimmbbo (06-21-2018), joemessman (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 PM
  #4  
Palantirion
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Palantirion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: California
Posts: 504
Thanked 94 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
For many years I've used the little round stick-ons on all my vehicles.

I doubt you are going to find a custom para identical in shape and size to the Vette's, if that's what you're looking for..
-Personally I hate the little round stick-ons because they are too small for me to see clearly, and they block part of the actual mirror. I'd be really surprised if no one made a parabolic cut to the C7's shape because there are SO many C7s the capital outlay would be recouped very quickly. Especially compared to the production (and enthusiast modding level) of Z4s. I suppose I could even have a local glass shop cut and make me mirrors, it would just be more expensive than a mass production unit.

Originally Posted by Andres Delapaz View Post
I don't know of any blind spot mirrors for the C7 but I did want to say that, if adjusted correctly, all blindspots are eliminated using the stock mirrors.
-That is good to know. I felt like I wanted more mirror when I test drove a Z06, but I also didn't feel completely blind. I will need more seat time to be sure. Appreciate the feedback from an owner.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-20-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Palantirion is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 PM
  #5  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 588
Thanked 117 Times in 91 Posts
Default

What you're looking for are aspheric mirrors. FAIK they're not available. volvos80 cut down a few from another vehicle and sold them to local Corvette owners - I snagged the last one and it was driver side only.

There used to be a manufacturer - Multivex - that made these for a lot of vehicles but they went out of business in the early 2010s. I have a set on a 2009 Tacoma and the view is incredible. I refer to them as my superman mirrors. If they're not in the mirror and you can't see them out of the corner of your eye when looking at the mirror they're not there. The 2nd lane over is fully visible. You can't really compare spot mirrors to them. It's a completely different league. The same for proper adjustment of your mirrors. Shortly someone will post up the jpg. Yes, proper adjustment will help, but there's no comparison to properly adjusted aspherics.

I know of someone that sells them for Tacomas. However he hasn't expressed any interest in offering them for C7s. In lieu of mirrors you can buy a Navtool (see the Geezer Navtool thread) and use side cameras. By all means if you find someone selling them post it here.
DWillys is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DWillys For This Useful Post:
Palantirion (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM
  #6  
Bluebeast17
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Whiteville NC
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Mustangs come with them stock you might want to see if those are removable and capable of being used in your application.
Bluebeast17 is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM
  #7  
Emerald Eagle
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Emerald Eagle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: St. Marys Ohio
Posts: 173
Thanked 96 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Here is the mirror I use on both sides. I started out with a round one and it was just too small. I think this one came from Advanced Auto.

There is a constant commentary, if you set the OE mirrors correctly they are fine. Well as always, it depends.
I am tall and long waist-ed and need to have my head as far back as possible for the best driving position and head room.
From this position if I set the mirrors far enough out to see the adjacent lane I lose the rear view. The stick on mirrors solve this problem. I now can see behind and to the side.
The added benefit is if you use the auto lowering mirrors in reverse you have a detailed view through the flat mirror of where your tires are going and the curved mirror gives you the rest of the picture..
Emerald Eagle is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald Eagle For This Useful Post:
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 PM
  #8  
GuyQ
CF Member
 
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Sloatsburg New York
Posts: 71
Thanked 54 Times in 18 Posts
Default

I have the silly looking round adjustable ones on my Z06 - function over form. I tried all the methods and still had blind spots, with the circles I have a ton more confidence when changing lanes.
GuyQ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyQ For This Useful Post:
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 PM
  #9  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,285
Thanked 699 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Parabolic mirror ?
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 PM
  #10  
defaria
CF Senior Member
 
defaria's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,586
Thanked 862 Times in 523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Emerald Eagle View Post
Here is the mirror I use on both sides. I started out with a round one and it was just too small. I think this one came from Advanced Auto.

There is a constant commentary, if you set the OE mirrors correctly they are fine. Well as always, it depends.
I am tall and long waist-ed and need to have my head as far back as possible for the best driving position and head room.
That's why the mirrors also adjust up and down. That should negate any tallness...

From this position if I set the mirrors far enough out to see the adjacent lane I lose the rear view.
That's what the rear view mirror in the center of the windshield is for! You're mirrors should be set up such that when the car leaves either your right or left side view mirror it's just appearing in your center rear view mirror. If that is not happening then you've not set the mirrors correctly.

I have driven all my life incorrect WRT these mirrors but when it was talked about in this forum I followed the directions and "got it". Now it feels natural to me and I don't find any blind spots now.

Last edited by defaria; 06-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.
defaria is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to defaria For This Useful Post:
Art17 (02-13-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:26 AM
  #11  
Palantirion
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Palantirion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: California
Posts: 504
Thanked 94 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DWillys View Post
What you're looking for are aspheric mirrors. FAIK they're not available. volvos80 cut down a few from another vehicle and sold them to local Corvette owners - I snagged the last one and it was driver side only.

There used to be a manufacturer - Multivex - that made these for a lot of vehicles but they went out of business in the early 2010s. I have a set on a 2009 Tacoma and the view is incredible. I refer to them as my superman mirrors. If they're not in the mirror and you can't see them out of the corner of your eye when looking at the mirror they're not there. The 2nd lane over is fully visible. You can't really compare spot mirrors to them. It's a completely different league. The same for proper adjustment of your mirrors. Shortly someone will post up the jpg. Yes, proper adjustment will help, but there's no comparison to properly adjusted aspherics.

I know of someone that sells them for Tacomas. However he hasn't expressed any interest in offering them for C7s. In lieu of mirrors you can buy a Navtool (see the Geezer Navtool thread) and use side cameras. By all means if you find someone selling them post it here.
-Thanks for the correction on the term. And yes, that is exactly what I want and why I want them. I'll have to receive the car first, get used to it, and then see how to make my own if no company wants to step up. The market is there, they are amazing mirrors and should be stock equipment on most vehicles because there really is no downside to them.
Palantirion is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 12:08 PM
  #12  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 588
Thanked 117 Times in 91 Posts
Default

My understanding is that aspherics are allowed in Europe and many cars come with them. IDK if the Euro Vette has them or not. I'm pretty sure the mirrors on the C7 are larger in Europe. Eventually mirrors will be a thing of the past. New fuel economy standards will force the removal of exterior mirrors and the use of cameras instead. I've never seen a C7 w/o mirrors but I've seen a 3rd gen RX7 without them and the difference is stunning. The car is much sleeker without. Right now the US requires exterior mirrors and the driver side has to be flat.
DWillys is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 PM
  #13  
Maxpowers
CF Senior Member
 
Maxpowers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,489
Thanked 582 Times in 456 Posts
Default

I have no blind spots because my mirrors are adjusted properly. It's possible to do with the factory mirrors.
Maxpowers is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxpowers For This Useful Post:
defaria (06-21-2018), Douglas Wall (02-12-2019), jimmbbo (06-21-2018), joemessman (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 PM
  #14  
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Custom Corvette Accessories's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Manassas VA
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 215 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Hello. I am awaiting my ZR1 order to be built and already know I would like to add a parabolic mirror overlay like I've used on my F150 and Z4 M Coupe to decrease the C7's rear quarter blindspots. I haven't found an appropriate product online yet. So please help.

The link below is for some generic mirror which I would NOT use on a ZR1, lol. But I'm posting it so you can see what type of product I'm referring to. I would think someone has to have made a properly-shaped C7 mirror overlay.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9LNMCN...=5623826270301

I am so...considering making these, probably get 3 or 4 calls about it a week

Tks
Chip
__________________
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Custom Corvette Accessories is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM
  #15  
Tony1leo
Junior Member
 
Tony1leo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 46
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Hello. I am awaiting my ZR1 order to be built and already know I would like to add a parabolic mirror overlay like I've used on my F150 and Z4 M Coupe to decrease the C7's rear quarter blindspots. I haven't found an appropriate product online yet. So please help.

The link below is for some generic mirror which I would NOT use on a ZR1, lol. But I'm posting it so you can see what type of product I'm referring to. I would think someone has to have made a properly-shaped C7 mirror overlay.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9LNMCN?aaxitk=kh3dxWLR8Eii2ZvjVmMpQQ &pd_rd_i=B01N9LNMCN&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&pf_rd_p=3930100107420870094&pf_rd_s=de sktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=no+blind+spot+b mw+mirror&hsa_cr_id=5623826270301
I actually use the ones you show from Amazon. I find the fit very good, similar to the ford mirrors with a minor mod. I found that the tape they use is too thick and makes the mirrors stick out away from the car mirror. I took their tape off and used 2 thinner layers of 3m two sided tape. That allowed the mirrors to sit flush with the car mirror, appearing to be built in. Very happy with the results and I feel much better with the elimination of blind spots. And yes, even if you align the car mirrors properly, you still have issues whenever you or another car changes lanes suddenly...like when a car 2 lanes over suddenly jumps into the lane next to you. You will see this with these mirrors as it's happening, not when it suddenly jumps into your vision. I had the round border mirrors before and they just do not look good. These are borderless and look very good with the car mirrors.

Last edited by Tony1leo; 06-21-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Tony1leo is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
  #16  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 588
Thanked 117 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories View Post
I am so...considering making these, probably get 3 or 4 calls about it a week

Tks
Chip
Do it! I can provide contact info for the guy doing the Tacoma mirrors. Maybe you can work something out with him. I've heard Camaro's have worse visibility than Corvettes, maybe they're a candidate too.

Last edited by DWillys; 06-21-2018 at 03:46 PM.
DWillys is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM
  #17  
JakeC7GS
CF Senior Member
 
JakeC7GS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 123
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default

Got blue tinted convex mirrors (replacement glass) for my Miata, around $65 for the set - can't believe no one makes something similar for the C7.
JakeC7GS is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 PM
  #18  
KemahGT
CF Senior Member
 
KemahGT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 538
Thanked 118 Times in 80 Posts
Default

I saw these all over south FL last week. They go great with chrome wheels.


KemahGT is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:26 PM
  #19  
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Custom Corvette Accessories's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Manassas VA
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 215 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DWillys View Post
Do it! I can provide contact info for the guy doing the Tacoma mirrors. Maybe you can work something out with him. I've heard Camaro's have worse visibility than Corvettes, maybe they're a candidate too.
If he's already making them, I'd bring them to market for him...

Regards
Chip
__________________
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Custom Corvette Accessories is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 PM
  #20  
defaria
CF Senior Member
 
defaria's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,586
Thanked 862 Times in 523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KemahGT View Post
I saw these all over south FL last week. They go great with chrome wheels.


Gawd that's ugly! Why don't you just set your mirrors correctly?
defaria is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parabolic mirror for C7s?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: