Sponsored by:

Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Mine sat at the museum for 4 weeks, when I came to pick it up I open the door and I’m looking at wrinkles in the leather seats. I said to the museum rep why wasn’t this replaced you had it for 4 weeks the factory is a block away, his response I see a lot of them like that. Here is a picture of the seat in a $100,000 car really.
You didn't buy a "$100,000" car -- you bought a $55,000 car that has $45,000 in options added on. BIG difference.

People don't like to hear it, but it is the truth -- a $100,000 Z06 or even a $130,000 ZR1 both have exactly the same quality of parts and assembly as a base $55,000 Stingray. Your expectations should be set accordingly.

It's not like the guys on the line at BG see a Z06/ZR1 coming down the line, and the foreman shouts "OK guys! $100k+ Corvette coming down the line! Step up your quality checks and make sure you hand-pick the HIGHER quality parts from the bins!"

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-22-2018 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Satanspawn (06-27-2018), vdavenp802 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I will offer a perspective about R8C that I really haven't seen mentioned. Getting a corvette deal from a Houston area chevy dealer is a complete joke and waste of time compared to shopping to buy a built to order car from one of our Forum Supporting Dealers. The savings difference is many thousands of dollars and a savings in shopping time. R8C allows me to order from any dealer in the USA and have it delivered at BG which is less than 900 miles from home no matter where the dealer is located. I would much rather have the museum prep my car than the local yo-yos here in the Houston area and also risk transport damage between BG and Houston. Most people don't realize that cars coming into the Houston area get unloaded first in a huge staging lot in north Houston before getting reloaded onto a truck for local deliveries at the dealerships. No Thanks. My wife and I take the advantage of making the trip up there as a mini-vacation to visit the area and not simply one to go get the car. Yes it was a far sweeter deal when R8C was an MSRP option less than $500 but I can still find justification at double that price. Ultimately R8C is a judgment call in the eyes of the beholder that each individual has to decide. I think most of us over the years here though have said yes that it is a worthwhile experience. Just my take on this.
You're going to have to quadruple that $500.00 figure you're quoting. It's now a cool $2,000.00+ Upcharge. If you've never been to Bowling Green NCM, then I would have to agree with the experience. However, I've already been to the NCM. Believe me, it's not worth $2,000.00, plus travel to and from. Much better to visit for FREE, with your new C7 purchased elsewhere voucher. Then, it makes sense to spend your $2,000.00 on a vacation to/from BG. Furthermore, it's a total gamble not buying your new C7 in Texas. You have zero Texas Lemon Law protection. You bought out-of-State. You're totally on your own and at the mercy of GM, if and when your car is found to be a Lemon. For my money and peace of mind, I'm ecstatic that I found exactly what I wanted in a new C7, in stock, locally in Texas @ a -17% discount off list to boot. Anyone considering buying out of State, needs to be aware of the facts when doing so. Buyer beware.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You're going to have to quadruple that $500.00 figure you're quoting. It's now a cool $2,000.00+ Upcharge. If you've never been to Bowling Green NCM, then I would have to agree with the experience. However, I've already been to the NCM. Believe me, it's not worth $2,000.00, plus travel to and from. Much better to visit for FREE, with your new C7 purchased elsewhere voucher. Then, it makes sense to spend your $2,000.00 on a vacation to/from BG. Furthermore, it's a total gamble not buying your new C7 in Texas. You have zero Texas Lemon Law protection. You bought out-of-State. You're totally on your own and at the mercy of GM, if and when your car is found to be a Lemon. For my money and peace of mind, I'm ecstatic that I found exactly what I wanted in a new C7, in stock, locally in Texas @ a -17% discount off list to boot. Anyone considering buying out of State, needs to be aware of the facts when doing so. Buyer beware.
I ordered a car this week and paid $990 less my dealer discount for the Museum Delivery.

Last edited by C5_; 06-23-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by blue max
I am sorry you don't approve of the museum delivery. However, I cannot tell from post if you have done the museum delivery. The tour of the factory when it is available is way different than the regular tour as you can get to see your car being produced. I have done two museum deliveries and helped my club members do the same and all were super happy and would do it again without hesitating. If you in fact have not done the museum delivery I don't know how you can justify criticizing it. It is a strong positive for the museum and our Corvette owners.
Oh and by the way no dealership comes close to going over the car like the museum does. Not even close
The normal $1,000 museum delivery does not include you seeing YOUR C7 being built. YOUR C7 is built approximately two to three weeks before the museum delivery, and I believe that seeing YOUR C7 being built requires additional money up front to the museum and also a second trip, unless you plan to watch YOUR C7 being built and then hanging around Bowling Green for two to three weeks while waiting for the museum to receive YOUR C7 from the factory, and then the museum do the PDI on YOUR C7.

I'm pretty sure that the normal museum delivery just includes a plant tour during the day your car is being delivered to you at the museum, and all you see is other peoples C7's(or cars designated for some dealer's inventory) going down the assembly line.

GM pays the museum to do the PDI on YOUR C7 just as they pay the receiving dealer to do the PDI when you buy your C7 from a dealer local to you. If the museum finds anything wrong with the car,(wrinkled seat covers, scratched paint, misaligned fenders/hood/fascia/etc)they must send it to the nearest Chevrolet dealer to have any corrections done under GM's warranty. The museum does not perform warranty work on the car. When you buy from your local Chevrolet dealer and they perform the PDI and if they dealer finds any discrepancies, they correct them and bills GM.

Also, when you buy from a local dealer, and take delivery at your local dealer, you do not pay for the car in advance. If, upon inspection of the car you ordered(or buying one off the dealers showroom floor), you decide to not complete the purchase; you walkout. I believe you might have a problem with doing that at the Museum as you have already paid the selling dealer for the car before taking delivery at the museum.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-23-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

I was just at the NCM and was actually glad that I did not choose to do the Museum delivery. There were a bunch of cars in the lobby waiting for delivery and I looked them over pretty good. Their PDI is not any better than the one I got from the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Lots of pros and cons here on the NCM delivery. Personally, we wanted to watch the car being built, then start it at the end of the line and to do that you first had to sign up for NCM delivery. It did take two 4 hour trips to BG over 3 weeks from Indy, no big deal being 4hr away for us. The NCM delivery was nice almost an all day affair with another plant tour. During the build my wife and I were only ones allowed to follow along with the car. Day of NCM delivery, we had the whole family and they got a private plant tour pretty much the same as we had three weeks before, so it was worth it. Pricey, yes, but it was a bucket list thing for my wife and at our age it will be our last Corvette purchase so we wanted to go all out.

Checking out our engine during the build. She wanted to make sure there was a clutch and not an AT going in !!

Last edited by jdsaengine; 06-23-2018 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigfoot16 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I did my R8C delivery in February 2015--the factory tour is the best part. Not sure I'd do it just for the museum.

Last edited by boxster99t; 06-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:34 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Not sure where the $2000 comes from--$990 option price plus travel expenses; when the factory is open as part of that, as those who've done it will tell you, it is MUCH better than any public tour.

Public tours of the factory whisk you through quickly on a tighter schedule as part of a group; R8C buyers can take their time (yes they try gently to get you to move, but you can say, I wanna watch this for a bit, and they don't rush you).

I did my R8C delivery in 2015 ordering from my local dealer who was large enough to have an allocation. A great experience (if the factory tour is open) that was worth the cost. It's cool if you can find what you want on a lot locally in Texas or whatever. If you want an as ordered car, you may pay more and it's an individual choice for sure.

Last edited by boxster99t; 06-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I went back and found a few pics from out last delivery, Things have certainly changed as to how the cars were displayed etc... One thing we were allowed opportunity to do was have our picture taken at the entry to the plant.(past all the security barriers) I am not sure if this mural even exists anymore been a couple of years since we have been to the plant? It was/is just another thing how the museum tries to make your experience a cut above.

If it is just about the money, you will likely never be satisfied because this really has nothing... to do with what it costs. It is about making an experience something special for yourself and creating memories that will last with you forever. Sort of like buying a Corvette over a Cruze.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boxster99t
Not sure where the $2000 comes from--$990 option price plus travel expenses; when the factory is open as part of that, as those who've done it will tell you, it is MUCH better than any public tour.

Public tours of the factory whisk you through quickly on a tighter schedule as part of a group; R8C buyers can take their time (yes they try gently to get you to move, but you can say, I wanna watch this for a bit, and they don't rush you).

I did my R8C delivery in 2015 ordering from my local dealer who was large enough to have an allocation. A great experience (if the factory tour is open) that was worth the cost. It's cool if you can find what you want on a lot locally in Texas or whatever. If you want an as ordered car, you may pay more and it's an individual choice for sure.
Yes, the normal R8C museum delivery, which includes a tour of the plant on the day of your museum delivery is $990, BUT if you want to see YOUR car actually being built, then the Buyer's Tour is another $800.

Since your car is built 2-3 weeks before your museum delivery is scheduled, it requires another trip so add several hundreds of dollars for that second trip(motels, gas, food, etc) to be added to the $990 + $800. You are now well over $2,000.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-23-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yes, the normal R8C museum delivery, which includes a tour of the plant on the day of your museum delivery is $990, BUT if you want to see YOUR car actually being built, then the Buyer's Tour is another $800.
BEST MONEY YOU WILL EVER SPEND IN YOUR LIFE!!!!! Seriously, it does not get any better than seeing your car go through the plant. Back when I chased our's through, this was not even an "option". We had to "work out" a agreement with the plant and get authorization through the museum. It was VERY difficult to do, now you can just "order it" and it is done.

I was able to place numerous parts on the car as it went down the line, Put the fuel in it, started it for the first time and drove it off the line. Plus I left with a few build sheets and the best conversations I have ever had from the insiders that put MY car together.

I know I stated it earlier, There is no other company on earth that has this kind of access to a build. Corvette for many of us, is a lifetimes achievement and a special part of our life. So why worry about a few dollars when memories are being made...
Old 06-24-2018, 05:19 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I've never been star struck in meeting famous people, and have never asked for anyone's autograph. A singer, actor, or a person who works a shift at a car plant is just as human as I am. I really don't see the fascination in seeing the toaster, TV, or car I bought being put together from a bin of parts. And definitely wouldn't pay extra for the privilege. When I was nine years old, we went on a tour of the Ford plant in Detroit. I got to see them dump iron ore in the blast furnaces to make molten steel, and see them turn it into vehicle frames and sheet metal. You then see them stamp the sheet metal into car panels, then later watch the workers actually build a car from the parts. Now that was pretty cool to see. These days you can see the same thing on the Discovery channel. Even the "How it is Made" shows where they show how they build Corvettes, Lambo's, and Bentley's is interesting. There are a few people in our club who always take museum delivery of their Corvettes,and they truly seem very excited over the experience. I guess you have to be really into that sort of thing. One of these days I'll have to check out the museum.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:46 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Some folks just ain't curious. I did museum delivery and buyer's tour, money well spent in my opinion. The Corvette is about the only car I know of where an ordinary mortal can pull off watching your car being built.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

After I special ordered and picked up my 14 Stingray, Z51 my wife and I said the next new one we would do a Museum delivery. We have been to the museum for a tour. We just feel it would be cool to take delivery there, its a 3 hour drive for us. I was not planning on buying a new car, when I picked up my Carbon 65 Grand Sport this spring. So it will have to be the next one in about 6 years or so.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered my car from Dennis Tap at Les Stanford and did the museum delivery. I took my dad and a buddy from back in high school. It is a bit pricey, but it was well worth it to me. I have a great memory of time with my dad and a very deep attachment to my car. My buddy keeps asking when we are going to get the next one . I normally go through cars pretty quick. I have had my car for 4 years in October. I have gone through 9 other vehicles in the almost 4 years that I have owned the Vette, and I only thought about trading the Corvette in once for a Audi R8 convertible. I will probably do both the buyers and museum delivery when the mid-engine comes out.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Joegovette
I ordered my car from Dennis Tap at Les Stanford and did the museum delivery. I took my dad and a buddy from back in high school. It is a bit pricey, but it was well worth it to me. I have a great memory of time with my dad and a very deep attachment to my car. My buddy keeps asking when we are going to get the next one . I normally go through cars pretty quick. I have had my car for 4 years in October. I have gone through 9 other vehicles in the almost 4 years that I have owned the Vette, and I only thought about trading the Corvette in once for a Audi R8 convertible. I will probably do both the buyers and museum delivery when the mid-engine comes out.
So who had to ride in the back on the ride back?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Mine sat at the museum for 4 weeks, when I came to pick it up I open the door and I’m looking at wrinkles in the leather seats. I said to the museum rep why wasn’t this replaced you had it for 4 weeks the factory is a block away, his response I see a lot of them like that. Here is a picture of the seat in a $100,000 car really.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH my the horror. Can you imagine. I would have refused it straight out. Think what they must have done to the engine, how could they, is there no quality control. Just dont sit in it you may get more.....

Get notified of new replies

To Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH my the horror. Can you imagine. I would have refused it straight out. Think what they must have done to the engine, how could they, is there no quality control. Just dont sit in it you may get more.....
You can bet on it getting worse when he sits on it. It sure as hell won't get any better.

You might also get some rock dings on the noise of your car after driving it. So I guess that makes it okay to have some rock dings in the nose when you pick it up at your dealer with 4 miles on the odometer, since it's going to get them anyway.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Did the NCM delivery and factory tour in November 2016 when I picked up my C7 Vert. Drove it back to Houston, stopping overnight in New Orleans.
At the time, NCM Director Wendell Strode and his wife were running a historic B&B near the museum so we stayed there and had a great time with Wendell and his wife.
The VIP factory tour was amazing and the NCM is Disneyland for life-long Vette fans like me.
The whole experience made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
How do you put a price on that?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I said it used to be less than $500 (actually $490) but not now. It is double that MSRP figure. Please read a little more carefully. BTW - I have done R8C four times now. As I said before, it is a value judgment for each and every individual. I think we clearly know where you come down.

Quick Reply: Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?