Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I can't imagine that there are many dealerships across the country that provide a better delivery experience than the museum. The amount of time the spend with you going over the complexities of this car is really amazing, they will go at any pace you desire. I've seen many posts here were people just didn't get any walk through of their car and they don't know how basic things work with the car. The museum / factory stuff is just frosting on top of it.

I believe if you do go when the tours are still closed that you would be eligible to come back at a later date to do it, if that works for you. But worth checking to be sure.

Being on the west coast, it would probably have not been something I would have done just due to the distance. But because I didn't have a lot of choice, I did it, and I don't regret it at all....
Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM
gumbo2000
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I took delivery of my Stingray at the museum a few weeks ago and I felt it was money well spent. We (my mom and I) were met at the door by our "tour guide" who greeted us by name and went out of his way to make us feel like special guests. The tour of the museum was amazing and (as mountainears said above) he spent a good amount of time going over every aspect of the car. It's my first Corvette so I took in everything he had to say even though I had read the manual twice before arriving. The car was beautifully prepped and I had several ACS parts installed at a VERY reasonable price. Our guide also picked up on the fact that my mom is a huge fan of the C2 and took her for a ride in her dream car. To me, that was above and beyond. The smile on mom's face was priceless. We ended up spending the entire day and it will forever be a very special day for my mom and I.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 PM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gumbo2000
I took delivery of my Stingray at the museum a few weeks ago and I felt it was money well spent. We (my mom and I) were met at the door by our "tour guide" who greeted us by name and went out of his way to make us feel like special guests. The tour of the museum was amazing and (as mountainears said above) he spent a good amount of time going over every aspect of the car. It's my first Corvette so I took in everything he had to say even though I had read the manual twice before arriving. The car was beautifully prepped and I had several ACS parts installed at a VERY reasonable price. Our guide also picked up on the fact that my mom is a huge fan of the C2 and took her for a ride in her dream car. To me, that was above and beyond. The smile on mom's face was priceless. We ended up spending the entire day and it will forever be a very special day for my mom and I.
gumbo:
Could you be a little more specific regarding "ACS" parts installed"? What are ACS parts and what did they chrarge you to install them?

Thanks

Last edited by C5_; 06-25-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 PM
gumbo2000
Intermediate

Sure thing C5. I had the ACS splitter, side skirts, and front and rear splash guards installed and the museum charged $125. Well worth it for the rock protection on the way home and not spending an afternoon in the hot garage when I got home.

If you need further details, just let me know.
The following users liked this post:
raosterkamp (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 AM
raosterkamp
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sure thing C5. I had the ACS splitter, side skirts, and front and rear splash guards installed and the museum charged $125. Well worth it for the rock protection on the way home and not spending an afternoon in the hot garage when I got home.

If you need further details, just let me know.
I would love to have more info on the ACS products you had the museum install for you. Thanks,Rick
Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM
C5_
Instructor

Default 2019 Grand Sport Add Ons?

Last edited by C5_; 06-26-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 PM
gumbo2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raosterkamp
I would love to have more info on the ACS products you had the museum install for you. Thanks,Rick
Hi Rick! Sent you a PM. Let me know if you need any more info!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 PM
C5_
Instructor

Hi Rick! Sent you a PM. Let me know if you need any more info!
Does having the museum install parts for you create a delay on when you can pick up your car? I live 200 miles from the museum, if that matters?

Last edited by C5_; 06-26-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 PM
gumbo2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5_
Does having the museum install parts for you create a delay on when you can pick up your car? I live 200 miles from the museum, if that matters?
I don't think it would. I had my parts shipped directly to the museum so they would arrive a week or two prior to my pick up date. My estimated pick up date also didn't change when we started talking about part install.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:39 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
It should not as long as your parts are there. The museum has to install all of the ship loose factory parts anyway like front and side aero pieces if ordered.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a bittersweet experience on my R8C. The two tours, the attention to detail(hold one thought on this) and general customer service was outstanding. I had one major issue though.... Their detail shop.

I had a bra installed by them for my 4 hour drive home from the museum. They took my car after everything was over and said it would be roughly 20-30 minutes. 45 minutes later I decided to go find someone to look into it since I couldn't walk into the garage. That person must have gotten lost because I had to find another person who brought me the head detailer, finally. He seemed confused that I was asking about it at first and then finally realized I was the car he had finished 40 minutes earlier!!! They just pulled it out and no one thought they should inform me it was done. So, I pulled around to pick up my wife and as she got in, she told me there was a large scrape on the passenger door. Sure enough, there was and I pulled it back around to the confusion of the head detailer. They worked on it for another 30 minutes or so trying to get it out but it was too deep(mind that I still have a 4 hour drive home and it is about 4pm at this point). They told me to take it to my local dealer with a poorly scanned piece of paper with their info along with their business card(I honestly dont even know what is going on at this point as far as their professionalism). They assured me that the scrape would be covered under warranty... Well, took it in and low and behold, the museum denied any wrong doing on their part. I don't want to type any more on how many times we went back and forth on it. Remember that 40 minutes I originally sat and waited? Yah, they told my dealership that I had the car that whole time and probably scratched it during that time and tried to get them to fix it for free. I about burst a blood vessel. Luckily, my dealer said forget it and fixed it for me anyway. Also, during all of this. I noticed 3 swirl circles in the hood from poorly done buffing. Looks like someone let a dirty buff pad sit in those spots too long. Luckily, I was able to fix the swirls with a paint correction and ceramic coating.

All in all, I loved the tour guide. Amazingly detailed and genuine. The management was hit or miss with the scratch drama but organized before the delivery. I think I would do it again if/when I buy a ME but I can guarantee I will request them to not detail it after the factory. Just give me a quick wash and I'll take it from there!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:12 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Seems like the museum is just another layer of people messing with your car, which increases the chance in it getting damaged.

When my wife retired from the military, we had the moving company carefully pack and load our household goods into a huge moving truck. I watched and photographed the entire process. The driver was to meet me at our new address halfway across the country in four days to unload. He had a one day head start on me, so I made sure to get to the house in the next three days. When I get to the new address to get ready for the movers, the driver said he made better time and got there a day quicker, but didn't want to wait, so they unload the entire truck into storage. I had to wait two extra days for them to load everything back into a truck, then deliver and unload again. I then find that most items were now broken. My fridge doors were bent out of alignment, aquariums busted, tables with corners broken off, and etc. Even though the manifest showed each item was in good condition when it was first loaded, they then say the items were already broken. I filed a claim for 20 items, and they only reimbursed for two. And my side by side refrigerator whose doors were bent, wasn't one of them. My household goods were manhandled four times instead of twice. That doubled the chance of damage, which is what happened.

I would think the museum should be responsible for any repairs, since they are delivering the vehicle to you, rather than being the middleman between the assembly plant and the dealer. Instead they blamed the new owner of damaging it themselves!!! I wouldn't trust them to do a delivery from that fact alone. I don't care how many times they did it right. Plus, you had to pay extra money to have them lie on you. And isn't the plant just next door or close to the museum? So how could the door get damaged so quickly?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:58 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Seems like the museum is just another layer of people messing with your car, which increases the chance in it getting damaged.
It actually is one layer less. Normally a car is built in the factory (1), transported via truck or rail (2), and the prepped by the local dealer (3). For museum delivery is it built in the factory (1) and then prepped by the museum staff (2) which act as the "dealer" for purposes of prep. You can argue that your local dealer does a better job prepping a car than the museum but I would guess that is an exception to the rule.

Certainly the museum should fix any damage done during prepping but that is no different than what a dealer should do. Personally I would do R8C delivery again in heartbeat and I'd trust the museum prep over a random Chevy dealer any day.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
favrefan2k4 (06-27-2018), GOLD72 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
I was just at the NCM and was actually glad that I did not choose to do the Museum delivery. There were a bunch of cars in the lobby waiting for delivery and I looked them over pretty good. Their PDI is not any better than the one I got from the dealer.
You must have a very competent dealer or the more subtle details are not important. Most salesman are not Vette knowledge. In my case I usually know far more than the salesman so don’t expect much.

The one exception was when I picked up my September 2013 built C7 Z51, ordered months before production started. Had read enough about it that I did not need much help but was presently surprised the salesman at one of the largest Vette dealers knew the Infotanment System beyond anything I read. As a young guy, he was rattling off features I would never use and was forgetting as fast as in went in one ear and out the other! After 30 minutes, I said, enough- need to drive this the 125 miles home, which I did.

At the Museum the folks know Vettes.

SHAGGY DOG STORY ABOUT MY TOUR.
I did not pick my Vettes up there but had my ‘93 when I visited with our National Accounts Sales Manager at a Dana plant close by building Ford F-150 frames at the time. He dragged me along, as he often did, to cut prices on the welding filler metals we were suppling. After a successful morning I made him go to the Museuim at lunch. Worth the trip.

Then saw we had time for a tour of the plant. We parked and as we were going up where the tour started, folks were coming down saying you’re to late that was the last tour. Never letting “you can’t” stop me from anything, went up and a young lady was smoking outside. I pleaded to let us go on a tour coming all the way from SC and having a newer Vette.

Turned out it was her last day and had only been working there a few months as she was a nurse and just got a job at the local hospital. She said I’ll ask the person in charge and she gave us a private two person tour. At the end one person was picked to start the car. You guessed it, that was me.

Been through a number of auto assembly plants but Bowling Green is unique. Most get all their parts from outside suppliers and don’t weld the frames from several hundred pieces-they do there.

Have no need to see my own car made but watching a Vette assembled from start to finish is very worth while. Good trip when plate tours are being conducted combined with a visit to the Museum, even if not picking your car up there.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-07-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:18 PM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my wife retired from the military, we had the moving company carefully pack and load our household goods into a huge moving truck. I watched and photographed the entire process. The driver was to meet me at our new address halfway across the country in four days to unload. He had a one day head start on me, so I made sure to get to the house in the next three days. When I get to the new address to get ready for the movers, the driver said he made better time and got there a day quicker, but didn't want to wait, so they unload the entire truck into storage. I had to wait two extra days for them to load everything back into a truck, then deliver and unload again. I then find that most items were now broken. My fridge doors were bent out of alignment, aquariums busted, tables with corners broken off, and etc. Even though the manifest showed each item was in good condition when it was first loaded, they then say the items were already broken. I filed a claim for 20 items, and they only reimbursed for two. And my side by side refrigerator whose doors were bent, wasn't one of them. My household goods were manhandled four times instead of twice. That doubled the chance of damage, which is what happened.

I would think the museum should be responsible for any repairs, since they are delivering the vehicle to you, rather than being the middleman between the assembly plant and the dealer. Instead they blamed the new owner of damaging it themselves!!! I wouldn't trust them to do a delivery from that fact alone. I don't care how many times they did it right. Plus, you had to pay extra money to have them lie on you. And isn't the plant just next door or close to the museum? So how could the door get damaged so quickly?
I know accidents happen and that is what the door looked like. Had a deep scratch and some black plastic residue. Made me think of a tool with a black rubber grip when I inspected it... But when they told my dealer I did it while I had the car for 40 minutes(when I was actually sitting there for 40 minutes waiting for them), I about lost it. That tarnished their reputation for me. Like I said, I would probably do R8C again if I ever shell out the money for another new corvette but damnit if I'm not a little worried about it.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

So who had to ride in the back on the ride back?
Hehe, my buddy drove my dad to Bowling Green from IN. I brought dad back with me, and my buddy drove by himself
Old 06-28-2018, 12:42 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
It actually is one layer less. Normally a car is built in the factory (1), transported via truck or rail (2), and the prepped by the local dealer (3). For museum delivery is it built in the factory (1) and then prepped by the museum staff (2) which act as the "dealer" for purposes of prep. You can argue that your local dealer does a better job prepping a car than the museum but I would guess that is an exception to the rule.

Certainly the museum should fix any damage done during prepping but that is no different than what a dealer should do. Personally I would do R8C delivery again in heartbeat and I'd trust the museum prep over a random Chevy dealer any day.
And I said this earlier in this thread that most Houston area car buyers don't know: Most people don't realize that cars coming into the Houston area get unloaded first in a huge staging lot in north Houston before getting reloaded onto a truck for local deliveries at the dealerships. Twice the chances for a load/unload mishap.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Old 06-28-2018, 02:16 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
And I said this earlier in this thread that most Houston area car buyers don't know: Most people don't realize that cars coming into the Houston area get unloaded first in a huge staging lot in north Houston before getting reloaded onto a truck for local deliveries at the dealerships. Twice the chances for a load/unload mishap.
Don't the vehicles still have the white plastic wrap on them until they reach the dealership? That how I see them on trains and transport trucks. That would protect against scraps and scratches.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Majorhavok
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like weather could be an issue for Museum Delivery in Jan-Mar?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorhavok
Seems like weather could be an issue for Museum Delivery in Jan-Mar?
Jan-Mar? It's going to be bitter cold next week when I pick my vehicle up next week. Daytime Highs in the 40s and overnight in the 20s. I have driven summer performance tires in cold weather. The tires will lose their grip with even the slightest amount of power applied. Making turns should be done gently and very gradual if you want to stay alive.

Quick Reply: Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?