C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter... who knows the answer to this question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Keeping that used PF64 around with used oil in it may come in handy. You can never trust any product or part 100%. Better to have a few bogus contingencies in place if disaster strikes.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, just shows that even the best filter available is not 100% assumed of not failing! In fact I wonder about the sun that just went out of sight! Just because it's come up for several billion years and the odds are it will tomorrow- there Is still a probability that....
Hillary learned that "100% assumed lesson" a while back.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol …
Old 06-21-2018, 10:18 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Doesn’t make much sense to me to be experimenting with oil filter suitability/dependability on an expensive machine such as the C7 Corvette, which is covered under warranty against manufacturers defects. The oil filter is included in that equation when the proper GM specified filter is used. If your car is out of warranty then maybe the risk is worth it to you.

Last edited by SLOWRYDE; 06-21-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Well said. And she's still scratching her head on that one.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Alright so let's stir it up a little more...

GM engineers recommend the OEM filter and the oil change intervals? Right?

Do you follow by the book the oil change intervals?

I'd like to see someone post a used oil analysis of a 5k oil used or even 7ish k like gm reccomends. within the allowed timeframe. (Oil changes go either based on time or mileage whichever comes first)

I'd like to see the Mobil 1 5w30 @ 7.5k miles on a stock oil filter. Used oil analysis... if anything on a FI Z06...
I will almost gaurentee you...................

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, they are taking a chance at Jiffy Lube, not with the oil change, but whether they have a proper spec filter on an engine with the new tech oil pumps. The only problem with installing a new PF64 on a blown engine is that you'll get busted in a nanosecond, with an empty, clean filter on a broken engine.
The PF64 that I was talking about that is sitting in my garage is a used one that was on my car for the second oil change interval though, not a brand new one. I'm really not anticipating needing it though, my engine (and the rest of the car) has been 100% flawless. I've never had an engine failure in my 32 years of driving and really don't expect one here either. I know I'm taking a slight risk running a non OEM filter, but I just sleep better at night knowing my engine has a better quality filter on it. I was originally going to wait until the warranty was up to stop using the PF64, but seeing the torn media on that one filter (and I realize it was just one single data point) just made me realize I wanted something of better quality on there right away.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Keeping that used PF64 around with used oil in it may come in handy. You can never trust any product or part 100%. Better to have a few bogus contingencies in place if disaster strikes.
I need to put this day down on my calendar, you're actually agreeing with something I said!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

LOL... maybe the LAST thing I worry about happening to a car is an oil filter failure. Probably more at risk for a meteorite strike. Wouldn't even have crossed my mind yet gets a full debate on corvette forum. LOL.

Last edited by raylo; 06-22-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:28 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Yep, just shows that even the best filter available is not 100% assumed of not failing! In fact I wonder about the sun that just went out of sight! Just because it's come up for several billion years and the odds are it will tomorrow- there Is still a probability that....
A Black Hole may suck it up tonight!!! We would all be sad that it didn't come back but we would all soldier on anyway. LOL
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by raylo
LOL... maybe the LAST thing I worry about happening to a car is an oil filter failure. Probably more at risk for a meteorite strike. Wouldn't even have crossed my mind yet gets a full debate on corvette forum. LOL.
We debate a lot of things on here, it's no big deal. If people aren't interested in reading about it, they don't have to. There's lots of topics on here I'm not interested in, but I don't pop into those threads and make condescending remarks to the people in there.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
If people aren't interested in reading about it, they don't have to. There's lots of topics on here I'm not interested in, but I don't pop into those threads and make condescending remarks to the people in there.
I often wright longer posts than most other folks posting on a thread will want to read. I do try to separate the details. However like this post with perhaps 25 posters (half that shown as some often post 2 or 3 times) there are ~1000 silent majority who visit and read them! Perhaps some will read my longer posts and appreciate details. But if they don't fine with me!
Patman (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
Originally Posted by GOLD72
A Black Hole may suck it up tonight!!! We would all be sad that it didn't come back but we would all soldier on anyway. LOL
Funny, when I read the post by raylo before yours was thinking if that meteorite was big enough perhaps we would NOT have a sun coming up! Even if the sun and earth were still here-we might not be! So if we are not here it would be like a tree falling in the forest with no one there to hear it! Did it make a sound?

Last edited by JerryU; 06-22-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Patman
Race Director

I often wright longer posts than most other folks posting on a thread will want to read. I do try to separate the details. However like this post with perhaps 25 posters (half that shown as some often post 2 or 3 times) there are ~1000 silent majority who visit and read them! Perhaps some will read my longer posts and appreciate details. But if they don't fine with me!
I for one enjoy your posts a lot Jerry! They are very informative and you put a lot of effort into them too!
JerryU (06-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Oil filter... who knows the answer to this question?