C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tested both Stingray and Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 PM
dony45
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone tested both Stingray and Grand Sport?

I really like the look of the Grand Sport but only that. Would love to see a Stingray with a Grand Sport body. My main concern is ride quality. Not going to race the car. Want something that rides great. I have had three porsches and the ride was like no other. My BMW was close. I have never driven a corvette so don't know how it compares. I want something that rides more like the Porsche. I read some Grand Sport owners talking about harsh rides others saying it is smooth. So I really can't tell by their opinions. I would rather buy a Stingray since comfort is important but if there really isn't that much difference I would buy the Grand Sport. Can anyone compare the two that have driven both? How does a corvette compare to a ride quality of a Porsche, BMW or Mercedes. I have had all three and I love how they felt. Unlike any other cars.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The GS, is a harsher/noisier ride. So, that's correct

The best riding C7 is going to be the Stingray. Then, adding MSRC, to the Stingray is about as perfect as it gets.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:49 PM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Go test drive a GS and see what you think - ride 'harshness' is going to mean something different to everyone. I used to daily drive lowered Miatas, so my GS feels like I'm riding on a cloud in comparison

I drive mine every day, on decent but not great NV roads, and have no issues with harsh ride in Tour mode.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

I just bought a 2019 stingray, i think the ride is nice. Never driven a BMW or Porsche.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Same ole Same ole

Originally Posted by dony45
I really like the look of the Grand Sport but only that. Would love to see a Stingray with a Grand Sport body. My main concern is ride quality. Not going to race the car. Want something that rides great. I have had three porsches and the ride was like no other. My BMW was close. I have never driven a corvette so don't know how it compares. I want something that rides more like the Porsche. I read some Grand Sport owners talking about harsh rides others saying it is smooth. So I really can't tell by their opinions. I would rather buy a Stingray since comfort is important but if there really isn't that much difference I would buy the Grand Sport. Can anyone compare the two that have driven both? How does a corvette compare to a ride quality of a Porsche, BMW or Mercedes. I have had all three and I love how they felt. Unlike any other cars.
Stingray and Grand Sport have the same ride quality. If you like Porsches, buy one. The downside to any current Corvette is not ride quality (Very very good) it is NOISE...these cars emit a LOT of road noise from any model. Nature of the beast. Go to a dealer and drive a current Corvette. Then you will know!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I have/had both. I had a 2015 Z51 Stingray, and now have a 2017 GS. My Stingray also had magnetic ride so it probably isn't the best for comparison as far as different in ride comfort, as I feel they are about the same. If comfort is your MAIN concern, get a base model Stingray without magnetic ride and that will be the most comfortable. Z51 and/or magnetic ride will not be the same as the base model.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Go drive a GS & a z51 and a stingray. Then and ONLY then you will have your answer.

The only way to know if you like something is to experience it. Honestly your question is kinda weird.... How does a corvette compare to the ride quality of a Porsche ,BMW,Mercedes??? i dont even know what to say to that and i too have owned all three.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,588 Posts

I've driven both, the Stingray may have a slight smoother ride than a GS in tour mode, but not much. I love the GS ride in Sport mode, firmer, but still smooth and really makes you feel like you're one with the road in the curves. Amazing feeling,
however only issue is that it can make you feel invincible at higher speeds in the curves, if you let it.
The convertible GSs are as quite as a Caddy. I don't hear one sound from my GS even on rougher roads, except the hum of the horse power and periodic debris being thrown into the underside of my skirts.
Having said that the Stingray is a GREAT sportscar, you can't go wrong with either. If noise bothers you, get a vert.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM
dony45
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65fastback
Go drive a GS & a z51 and a stingray. Then and ONLY then you will have your answer.

The only way to know if you like something is to experience it. Honestly your question is kinda weird.... How does a corvette compare to the ride quality of a Porsche ,BMW,Mercedes??? i dont even know what to say to that and i too have owned all three.
Hard to test drive a car when they pretty just let you drive it around the block and it usually on smooth roads.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

The softest suspension will be in the base Stingray. The Z51 and GS have track optimized suspensions. MRC helps soften it up for daily driving on not so great roads but it still won’t be as cushy as a base suspension. I opted for a base this time around and I think it is great for daily driving. The only thing I didn’t like is they softened up the rear a little too much as they don’t include a rear sway bar on the base. Many of us have installed the z51 sway bars on our base stingrays for ~$300, which firms things up a little bit but doesn’t beat you up when combined with the softer base shocks.

I would would go test drive a base Stingray and then a GS with MRC set on Tour mode and see for yourself. I know the wide body looks good but you need to decide if it is worth the extra $10k if you are not going to make use of all that track hardware.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (06-24-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 PM
dony45
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I've driven both, the Stingray may have a slight smoother ride than a GS in tour mode, but not much. I love the GS ride in Sport mode, firmer, but still smooth and really makes you feel like you're one with the road in the curves. Amazing feeling,
however only issue is that it can make you feel invincible at higher speeds in the curves, if you let it.
The convertible GSs are as quite as a Caddy. I don't hear one sound from my GS even on rougher roads, except the hum of the horse power and periodic debris being thrown into the underside of my skirts.
Having said that the Stingray is a GREAT sportscar, you can't go wrong with either. If noise bothers you, get a vert.
I actually wouldn't mind the Grand Sport being a little firmer and noisier but I have read some people saying even with the MSR on the softest setting it can still be pretty harsh. You described how I felt with my Porshce, one with the road but it telegraphed it a way that never felt harsh, firm but smooth, even with bumps you knew you went over them but felt it in a ever so gentle manner. I drove a much older corvette, around a 1990 model. Not impressed with the ride but would think the new versions have approved. I have always wanted a corvette so it isn't a question about Porsche vs Corvette. It really is a question on how much difference there is in the ride between the Stingray and GS. You say the Stingray is slightly smoother, others have said there is a big difference. I am not sure if I test drive around the dealer block if I could really tell the difference. It's when you go over bumps, pot holes, dips and what have you that you can really tell. I don't think I can tell a dealer, "I'll be back in an hour". I have a Lexus that feels smooth but you can really tell going over bumps that it is no Porsche or BMW. I've read only a few post from people that have driven both a Stingray and GS of the same year and they don't seem to be in agreement. I am leaning toward a GS but read one reader who wished he bought a Stingray. He had a Stingray before and then bought a Grand Sport and regretted his decision. I would assume he took a test drive but his complaint was harsh ride and noise.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 PM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Hard to test drive a car when they pretty just let you drive it around the block and it usually on smooth roads.
Local Chevy dealer gave my wife and I the keys and said "go have fun". Just need to find the right dealer I guess.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 PM
dony45
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I have/had both. I had a 2015 Z51 Stingray, and now have a 2017 GS. My Stingray also had magnetic ride so it probably isn't the best for comparison as far as different in ride comfort, as I feel they are about the same. If comfort is your MAIN concern, get a base model Stingray without magnetic ride and that will be the most comfortable. Z51 and/or magnetic ride will not be the same as the base model.
The Z51 Stingray, as I understand it, rides more like the Grand Sport vs the stock Stingray so I would assume it would feel about the same. Comfort but also looks are my priorities. Love the look of the Grand Sport but also want a smooth daily driver. I don't think I can have both.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

As most ALL of the responding members have stated; "you're just going to have to go drive them yourself. "

​​​​​​​The GS IS a harsher ride than the Stingray. That, you can take to the bank. You're not going to like it versus the non-Z51 Stingray.

I have had Mercedes Benz for almost 30 years, and driven them since I turned 16. I've ridden in more BMWs than I can count for 45 years. The Stingray most resembles their ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
dony45 (06-23-2018), Red C8 of Jax (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

The Z51 Stingray, as I understand it, rides more like the Grand Sport vs the stock Stingray so I would assume it would feel about the same. Comfort but also looks are my priorities. Love the look of the Grand Sport but also want a smooth daily driver. I don't think I can have both.
Your post reflects your lack of Corvette knowledge. The GS encompasses the Z51 equipment for the most part

Seriously, you're just groping around without product knowledge or Corvette seat time.

You're just going to have to drive them yourself, in order to come to any model buying decision.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

The Z51 with Mag-Ride rides more like the GS, however keep in mind a Z51 with Mag-Ride costs within $3200 of the GS, you just don't get the wide-body and quite a few other goodies.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

In sport and tour mode my 19 GS rides like a luxury car. Some good noise from the wide tires, but the NPP exhaust in track mode will take care of that. GO for the GS if you can and you will never second guess your decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tested both Stingray and Grand Sport?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

By the way dony45, welcome to Corvette Forums, you've come to the right place, in spite some's belittling attitude to new members seeking information.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Your post reflects your lack of Corvette knowledge. The GS encompasses the Z51 equipment for the most part

Seriously, you're just groping around without product knowledge or Corvette seat time.

You're just going to have to drive them yourself, in order to come to any model buying decision.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you really going to make a determination to buy a Stingray or Grand Sport based on other people’s opinions on their ride quality? I’m pretty sure you could test drive both and figure it out. Sounds like you should stick with a Porsche.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I really like the look of the Grand Sport but only that. Would love to see a Stingray with a Grand Sport body. <snip>.
You *have* seen it. You just didn't realize it.

A Grand Sport *is*, in reality, a Stingray Z51 with the wide body panels, tires and brakes of a Z06.
Yes, really. That's all it is. (Do understand, I'm not bashing GS when I say that -- it's a great, balanced car.)

Problem solved! Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-22-2018 at 11:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
bgspot (07-06-2018), VaydorVette1 (06-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone tested both Stingray and Grand Sport?