Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Build Your Own Z06 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:18 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I added A SC A&A Vortech,American racing headers and tune to my LT1 engine bringing it to 700 h.p.$11,000
thinking about competition heads,valves,cam and meth.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
I built my engine last April 25th. It took me 9 1/2 hours. The Corvette Museum provided a guide who was also a photographer. The took over 700 photos of the build. Then over the next 3 days I walked along with the car and my guide as the Z06 was assembled. I posted many photos and wrote quite abit on the experience. Search my name mjdart and engine build to find it.

People will drop a lot of money on a cruise or a week on island why not the experience of building your own engine? Sure you need to be able to afford it but life is about experiences isn't it? Thanks for sharing your engine build ! Love all the pics !
The following 2 users liked this post by C7DriverOnt:
DWS44 (06-24-2018), Vet Interested (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:05 PM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

I did it this past March 9th for my 2019 Z06. Maybe it is not for everyone but it was the best $5K I've ever spent. The people were fabulous, I spent a lot of time with Kai and I learned a ton. Brought my brother and a friend along and they couldn't stop thanking me for days. If you have any interest at all in understanding how a complex engine is put together and the quality that GM has built into the manufacturing process I recommend this program to you whole heartedly.

Last edited by LuckyGuy; 06-24-2018 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
People will drop a lot of money on a cruise or a week on island why not the experience of building your own engine? Sure you need to be able to afford it but life is about experiences isn't it? Thanks for sharing your engine build ! Love all the pics !
for those focused on the money, during the month of my build, the assembly area ran out of steel brake rotors. GM offered a $5000 rebate to anyone ordering or buying a new Corvette with the Carbon Ceramic brakes before 5/1/17. I was buying those brakes no matter what, so essentially I got the engine build for free.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:47 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Sarah explains in detail anything about the build, here is the multi-layered head gasket.

Part of the build is signing the oil filter, on the first oil change at dealer I showed the Corvette Technician this photo which I think is pretty cool.

We set the engine up on a test stand that measures engine accoustics (finds issues) before moving it to the full fire test stand. The techs removed the exhast pipes and ran my engine with open headers, it was like hearing a newborne baby crying!

This shows the costs associated with the Z06, you can see the RPOs for the Engine Build and Buyers Tour.

The engine builder assigned to your day asks you what you want to do (watch, assist or do it all) I did it all, I was actually a bit tired. Another feature they have with the program, a Corvette manager takes you and your guests along with the museum guide/photographer to dinner a a very nice resturant. I got the Paint and Body Shop Manager, he expained everything about the newly build paint facility. The paint work and panels were perfect on my Z06, go figure! They also have a nice lunch for you the day of the build. I got the Head of Corvette QC along with the PBC Supervisor and the head of engine build QC to join me for lunch, great conversations were enjoyed. They also give you a Engine Build Experience shirt you can't get anywhere else, a LT4 Engine Piston with your name and the build date, a Z06 hat, the Poster with your name on it that was displayed at the entrance to the build center. A DVD with all the photos take of the build (736 in my case). Because I also did the buyers tour I got a leather bound book authenticated and signed by the Corvette Museum Director and Kai Spande the Plant manger. It has full color photos of the car being built, the engine being installed and also the engine build photos.You have your own parking space out front with a very nice sign showing you are building your engine.

Last edited by mjdart; 06-24-2018 at 04:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjdart:
AORoads (06-24-2018), Kevin A Jones (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by zergi06
If I’m gonna help build my own engine it should be $5000 off. Not an extra $5000.
Nice try. You are SLOWING down production (not helping) so they gotta make it up some how.....and they do!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-24-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

It would be fun to build my own engine but not for $5000. I would for $2500!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RMS73
how long does it take to assembly a LT1 and a LT4? I would think the L4Twould take a little longer.
Sarah my engine builder can complete 2 and a 1/2 LT4s in a single shift. They don't build too many LT1s as most are assembled in the historical Chevrolet Tonawanda Engine Plant near Buffalo NY.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,686 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
I'm guessing they would have let Rick Hendrick wear whatever Rick Hendrick wanted to wear for his experience.
Yep, as many C7's as his dealerships across the country purchase in a year I expect he could show up in a clown suit and no one would mind.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Mike, that's the way to go, thanks for sharing!
Really nice to see some of the pics and find out some of the "other things" that go into the engine build experience. Had no idea about the lunch, dinner, 3 days, etc.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

great story! hell I got so caught up in your story I tried to take off your safety glasses...
Old 06-24-2018, 07:08 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

I built my engine last April 25th.
Thanks for the wonderful thread you created last year, I linked it above here. I followed your daily updates in that thread and truly enjoyed them.
One question after seeing your window sticker, what’s in the Z06 appearance package, the $730 option?

Last edited by flying_vette; 06-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,686 Likes on 5,589 Posts

TE=mjdart;1597471548]

Sarah explains in detail anything about the build, here is the multi-layered head gasket.

Part of the build is signing the oil filter, on the first oil change at dealer I showed the Corvette Technician this photo which I think is pretty cool.

We set the engine up on a test stand that measures engine accoustics (finds issues) before moving it to the full fire test stand. The techs removed the exhast pipes and ran my engine with open headers, it was like hearing a newborne baby crying!

This shows the costs associated with the Z06, you can see the RPOs for the Engine Build and Buyers Tour.

The engine builder assigned to your day asks you what you want to do (watch, assist or do it all) I did it all, I was actually a bit tired. Another feature they have with the program, a Corvette manager takes you and your guests along with the museum guide/photographer to dinner a a very nice resturant. I got the Paint and Body Shop Manager, he expained everything about the newly build paint facility. The paint work and panels were perfect on my Z06, go figure! They also have a nice lunch for you the day of the build. I got the Head of Corvette QC along with the PBC Supervisor and the head of engine build QC to join me for lunch, great conversations were enjoyed. They also give you a Engine Build Experience shirt you can't get anywhere else, a LT4 Engine Piston with your name and the build date, a Z06 hat, the Poster with your name on it that was displayed at the entrance to the build center. A DVD with all the photos take of the build (736 in my case). Because I also did the buyers tour I got a leather bound book authenticated and signed by the Corvette Museum Director and Kai Spande the Plant manger. It has full color photos of the car being built, the engine being installed and also the engine build photos.You have your own parking space out front with a very nice sign showing you are building your engine.
Thank you for sharing your engine building experience with us. Great info and photos.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-25-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iw172
great story! hell I got so caught up in your story I tried to take off your safety glasses...
Originally Posted by flying_vette

Thanks for the wonderful thread you created last year, I linked it above here. I followed your daily updates in that thread and truly enjoyed them.
One question after seeing your window sticker, what’s in the Z06 appearance package, the $730 option?
two options one was billed separately that’s not on the sticker: Performance Aero Package $595
I didn’t order the Z07 package but I wanted many things that make it up. This option gives you the Z07 Stage 3 aero components front and rear.

Now the Z06 appearance package you asked about is comprised of interior pieces. The large thick Z06 logo carpeted rear mat and the Z06 logo front floor mats. It also comes with a form fitting Z06 outdoor car cover that really wraps the car.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Here's a few more photos I might not have posted before from the pages of the book they included.

New shoes

Driving off line with 0 miles

4 Wheel alignment pit

Rear facia

Coming out of test facility

Rear hatch algnment

Touch down

Old 06-27-2018, 02:26 AM
oldmantex1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pics and build. That was crazy good!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

for those focused on the money, during the month of my build, the assembly area ran out of steel brake rotors. GM offered a $5000 rebate to anyone ordering or buying a new Corvette with the Carbon Ceramic brakes before 5/1/17. I was buying those brakes no matter what, so essentially I got the engine build for free.
Haha … I love that.
Nothing quite like being in the right place at the right time.

Quick Reply: Anyone Build Your Own Z06 Engine?