MRC Upgrade Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
I was in the shop looking at the computer and observed the following:
  1. My OPERATING SYSTEM code is: 84213967... I have the printout from the GM "Global Diagnostic System 2".
  2. My REAL TIME DAMPING (RTD) code is still : 84375894... I observed that on the laptop in person.
  3. In spite of the new printout that I downloaded last week from the link you can get from the "Mag Ride Update" thread, I do not have the RTD code that appears there which is: 84421869 …
GDS2 shows what is currently programmed into your car.

The TIS website shows you what is available for your car.

If your tech had gone into the Service Programming System (SPS) software, it would have shown 5894 as the current calibration, and 1869 as the new calibration. The TIS website and database are the back end for the SPS software.

5894 is not the correct calibration for your car, which is why the service campaign was created. With that said, if you like it the way it is, then don't change it. But please do not try to pass off your opinion as fact.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:46 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.

If your tech had gone into the Service Programming System (SPS) software, it would have shown 5894 as the current calibration, and 1869 as the new calibration. The TIS website and database are the back end for the SPS software.

5894 is not the correct calibration for your car, which is why the service campaign was created. With that said, if you like it the way it is, then don't change it. But please do not try to pass off your opinion as fact.
How did you determine anything I wrote was written as "a fact" other than "a fact" for my car and that I like it?
I broke my promise not to post again but I had to respond to your fake news.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm convinced that some people just wont' get it.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylars
I'm convinced that some people just wont' get it.
I can teach people technical concepts. I can't teach them reading comprehension.
The following users liked this post:
pkincy (07-23-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
How did you determine anything I wrote was written as "a fact" other than "a fact" for my car and that I like it?
I broke my promise not to post again but I had to respond to your fake news.
“”Fake news?” Lets keep that buffoon of a president out of this.

FWIW, I have the same programming you do and I’m fine with it, although I’m not sure they got 1869 right the first time so I might let them give it another shot.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Has ANYONE gotten a refund after getting the "recall" calibration done?

Dealer told me no refund as this did not wipe out the performance upgrade I paid for.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
Has ANYONE gotten a refund after getting the "recall" calibration done?

Dealer told me no refund as this did not wipe out the performance upgrade I paid for.
If you paid for the upgrade like I did and got "code A" and go for the recall and get "code B" you may be entitled to a refund.

I researched this via my selling dealer - Rick Hendrick in Charleston - and the service manager contacted the Chevy Zone Rep.
The word back I received was that I would get a refund.
But, after sitting on it for a day or two and then seeing the codes that read out of my car in real time with the tech I decided to NOT download the recall codes.

I suggest you ask your dealer service manager to contact his Zone Service rep.
You have little chance of making contact yourself - its impossible to get through the corporate maze and locate a telephone number for Zone offices.
If you figure it out please publish how you did it.

Do I have the right or wrong setting? I still have no clue. Do I have a ZO6 code or GS? I am not confident in anybody's responses. Do I like the ride now? Yes.
Can I perceive a difference? Yes
Would I like Chevy to publish something definitive about this whole mess - YES.

From this point, I'm just enjoying the drive and no longer obsessing about it. I'll buy track day insurance when I go to Roebling Road just in case
Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm definitely confused on all this. I had the upgrade done in April on my 2017 GS and didn't notice any difference. I'm showing 84421869 on the website. Just got the recall notice last week so for me if I take it in and lose the upgrade it's not that big a loss to me but hopefully I'll get a refund and maybe I'll get a bit of an improvement this time.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I don't understand the confusion. The new MRC calibrations were set up in the parts department. A few 17 GSs were set up with an incorrect calibration number that got installed. GM caught this and wants to install the actual correct new MRC calibration on their dime. No, you will not get your money back. You are getting a new calibration, but this time you are getting the correct one that was designed by hard working suspension engineers just for your car, not one that was designed for a slightly different model.

You paid for a new better MRC calibration for your car. Most of us got it. A few of you through an error got an incorrect calibration and GM wants to fix that.
rpm462 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i received letter to have the mag ride re-programmed on my 17 gs yesterday. i did not have the performance upgrade. have appointment tomorrow for the free flash. i did have 2 different dealers check if the performance calibration was available for my vin several months back. i wonder if somehow gm thinks the upgrade flash was done and needs to be reflashed or if its just a new cal for the factory cal ?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Took mine in for the recall of the update I had done back in April. Ironically, I got the letter while it was at the dealership (for 6 days because they had it over a weekend and had to order the 0/40 new spec oil). I had received email notifications from the dealer and GM.

Got the car back two days ago. Overall, it seems great. The ride in TOUR, which is where I normally set it, seems even better now. Much softer ride IMO than the prior two settings... even gets a little rebound bounce going over parking lot speed bumps. The tire thump on the interstate also seems a bit better.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-fiasco.html
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Had the upgrade done and noticed a big improvement. Now I got the recall notice. Not sure I want to do it or not, especially since the upgrade improved the car so much. Also, with all the posts on here I'm suspecting that there are a lot more cars involved than originally stated.

Phil
Old 08-09-2018, 03:04 PM
SyberSaint
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 08-24-2018, 01:11 PM
MNku
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the entire reason for this recall. GM corrected the SPS (TIS) database in accordance with that.

84375894 is for 2017 Z06 w/o Z07.

84421869 is for 2017-2019 Grand Sport w/o Z07.

Both are upgraded calibrations. You just got the calibration from the wrong model of car.

Honestly, if you're happy with where your car is at, just don't take it in. I can't imagine the calibration is that different between Z06 and GS.
I can verify you were spot on with this post. I had the recall fix done just now. My online TIS thing said I had the 1869, but their computer showed the 5894 was what was actually in the car's computer. They fixed it to the 1869.

I could also tell right away on drive home that the ride was better. Tour was smoother and Sport was really better. Sport now feels like what Tour felt like before this fix. I was surprised because when I got the incorrect 5894 the first time I could tell that the ride was improved and thought I had got my money's worth. From what my 2017 GS came from the factory with to the ride now today it is now greatly improved. I would say half the improvement came from the incorrect 5894 flash and the other 50% came from today's correction (just saying this in case anyone with the recall / incorrect 5894 is hesitating to get the correct 1869 done- do it).
AZav8r (08-24-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MNku
I can verify you were spot on with this post. I had the recall fix done just now. My online TIS thing said I had the 1869, but their computer showed the 5894 was what was actually in the car's computer. They fixed it to the 1869.

I could also tell right away on drive home that the ride was better. Tour was smoother and Sport was really better. Sport now feels like what Tour felt like before this fix. I was surprised because when I got the incorrect 5894 the first time I could tell that the ride was improved and thought I had got my money's worth. From what my 2017 GS came from the factory with to the ride now today it is now greatly improved. I would say half the improvement came from the incorrect 5894 flash and the other 50% came from today's correction (just saying this in case anyone with the recall / incorrect 5894 is hesitating to get the correct 1869 done- do it).

.....and I have the exact opposite results. Go figure.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Just got home from finally getting the update on my 2017 GS w/o Z07. TIS readout is as it should be:
84421869 - Real Time Damping
I immediately noticed the difference as did many others, even before letting it sit for 8 hours. And I really tried to ignore "human nature" telling me something good happened for my money. It was truly more dampened! Bumps and manholes and cracks and buckles in the pavement were, well, dampened out...in all modes. Very pleased.
(Plus, they said it would be $350 but when they came back after it was done, they said it was only $175. Win-win.)
Shout out to Simpson Chevrolet in Irvine, CA. Service Manager Roger Abbott, Service Advisor Colin Dresser, and the programming Tech Steve Green all treated me very well and professionally. In and out in about 45 minutes, and that was with some waiting for another car to get programmed for something.

Last edited by IAIA; 09-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To MRC Upgrade Recall Notice

Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 PM
diguy
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 17 GS into dealer today. Gave them a copy of steps for MRS upgrade. When I returned home and checked the TIS, I found that I had the 84421869 Real Time Damping calibration. At first I was concerned since I was expecting the 84375894 part number that was posted in forum. Now I find the recall notice discussion and I think I am actually ok. Seems that GM changed the part number, which I can not find anywhere, but I hope it is the current version. Where can one find the part number descriptions? The performance catalog does not have it.
Thanks for all of you who contribute here, very helpful even if the threads are scattered about.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:34 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by diguy
I had my 17 GS into dealer today. Gave them a copy of steps for MRS upgrade. When I returned home and checked the TIS, I found that I had the 84421869 Real Time Damping calibration.
My '17 GS had the upgrade done in May and it shows the 869 calibration, which since then I've always assumed to be correct. Regardless, the ride in Tour mode is much improved, so I won't be changing anything.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:03 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

84421869 is the correct Part# for the MRC upgrade on a '17 GS with FE6 suspension.

Quick Reply: MRC Upgrade Recall Notice