C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else headed to Spring Mountain in August?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Anyone else headed to Spring Mountain in August?

Received my confirmation for the class at SM August 8/9 and just curious if there is anyone from here that's going to be in the same class.. Of note, not sure how common it is but they are offering an extra night free (as a summer special as I understand) so will be able to get in on the 7th and relax before things start on the 8th.

Will search around for tips from others that have already been, but any suggestions are welcome here!

/r

Allen
Old 06-24-2018, 09:08 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Lots of threads on this topic.

I went in April. Fantastic experience in all respects.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
Lots of threads on this topic...
Understand, didn't intend to start another redundant topic. Was just curious if anyone else is headed out at the same time and to share the info (if there are any fence-sitters) that they are offering the extra night stay for free...
Old 06-24-2018, 04:33 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

The weather is great in Las Vegas ANY time of the year for getting on a track. It is a lot hotter in the summer so many people wait for the cooler months because it is 115 degrees, but even hotter out on the track. That's why they offer the extra day as an incentive to keep attendance up.
The following users liked this post:
Allen_B (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 PM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

My reservation is for 8-29/30. Save a little rubber on the tires for me! lol

Last edited by thompstl1; 06-24-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:51 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Check out the thread in the C7 ZO6 section "Anyone going to Spring Mountain August 6/7?", I've been before and will be there on 7/13 and 7/14, lots of info and tips on there. If you need any more info or have questions, drop me a note, happy to help.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I am headed out there August 24th - bring on the heat!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Ranger5
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, if you own a Vette and dont have a good time at Spring Mountain, you need to be checked into a mental hospital!
I just returned from the Corvette Owners School last week. This is a first class operation from start to finish. It is impossible to not have a good time here! The staff is competent and friendly. They are knowledgeable enough to know "your limits" and will not let you exceed them.
The heat was not a factor in our class. I would say it averaged 107-110 while we were there. It is a "dry" heat but 107 is still 107! You will spend very little time in the heat. Most of your time will be spent in a classroom or in your vette, which is A/C and the instructors usually start the cars, windows up, etc just before you go out to drive. All you have to do is concentrate on driving and drink plenty of water.
You are responsible for 10,000 in damage to the car if you go off the track. They offer deductible insurance that lowers this to 2000.00. No one in my group took this insurance. I dont believe its necessary. You would have to be waaay out of control to use it. The instructors are in front of you and they can slow you down if you are exceeding your limits. About half my group bought the Piloti driving shoes. They ran around 130.00. I wore my running shoes and found them more than adequate.
The photographer shows up on day 2 and charges a fee for taking shots of you on the track. I bought this package because I wanted some memories and I did not have the time to ask other people to take pictures of me!
If you are bringing a spouse, they are very well treated and can attend all classroom instruction and they can ride with the instructors. I thought the staff went out of their way to make the spouses feel comfortable. The resort is open to them as well.
Shorts and a wicking T shirt is all I wore during the training.
If you have a laptop, bring it. If you use the PDR in the car, you can analyze your errors in your room. I drew a small crowd at the airport while watching the videos on my laptop.
Dont pass up a meal at the Pahrump winery. Food at the resort was good buffet food, prepared on time so there was no waiting.
You will have an absolute ball! Most fun I have had with my pants on since free fall parachute school.
I am planning a return visit next year, either the next level or the owners school. I have much to improve on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ranger5:
jimmbbo (07-04-2018), NashvilleGrandSport (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:53 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Great summary above. Mirrors our experience as well... perfectly.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I went in late August. Hard to imagine going without that second nite in the condos. Don’t worry about the heat, you won’t have a lot of time in it. Two days of classroom and track goes fast and burns lots of energy.

I’ve said this on the forum before, the Spring Mountain experience is the BEST feature of buying a new Corvette. I wish all auto makers in all states would create a similar program. When you know your car and you in it...you become a better driver!

Enjoy...It will be an unforgettable experience!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver C7
I went in late August. Hard to imagine going without that second nite in the condos. Don’t worry about the heat, you won’t have a lot of time in it. Two days of classroom and track goes fast and burns lots of energy.

I’ve said this on the forum before, the Spring Mountain experience is the BEST feature of buying a new Corvette. I wish all auto makers in all states would create a similar program. When you know your car and you in it...you become a better driver!

Enjoy...It will be an unforgettable experience!
I got a free driving school when I bought my E-Class Mercedes in 1999. It wasn't like I bought an SL, but it was nice they offered it. And you couldn't beat free.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Just finished the Spring Mountain Owner's course and echo the universal kudos.. For the SM Owner's course, suggest you
  • Review YouTube track videos... Familiarity with the track ahead of time is very valuable. The YT vids are PDRs from the car, most with instructor comments, and all of the Owner course videos are taken on same the East course. We received an SD card as part of the "summer special", along with the extra night in the condo and dinner on the first night. If it isn't included, take a 16 or 32 GB Class 10 SD card with you, or buy one there for $20
  • Summer class hours are 0700-1500 with lunch 1100-1200, and run like clockwork
  • Record PDR vids of as many of the events as you can for future review
  • Stylish blue Spring Mountain water bottles that FIT the cup holders are provided, along with cold water and Gatorade type additives, and they remind you to remain hydrated regularly
  • Dinner at the Symphony restaurant and wine tasting at the collocated Pahrump Valley Winery is well worth it if you like good wine and fine dining.
It's a bit like drinking from a firehose, but they do a good job or repeating key points to drive them home, and the skills learned have already shown benefits on daily driving.
ENJOY!! It's a great ride!!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:29 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm scheduled for the first weekend in October.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I’m there for the private event October 1-2
Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 PM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thompstl1
My reservation is for 8-29/30. Save a little rubber on the tires for me! lol
I'm there the same days. Looking forward to it big-time!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 PM
CubPilot
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Aug 22-23 for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else headed to Spring Mountain in August?

Quick Reply: Anyone else headed to Spring Mountain in August?