Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for my first C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Sam are you shopping for a deal or shopping for a car? If it is the car you want what are you prepared to spend to get it? I haven’t seen any mention of a down payment. The more you put down, the less there is to finance. The size of that amount along with your credit score will determine how much the loan will ultimately cost.

In your initial post you said you aren’t in a rush, that gives you more time to add to your down payment and gives you more time to do the necessary homework to make a good decision. If it is the car you want then throw depreciation out the window as depreciation is a fact of life when you buy any car. If you’re looking for a deal, when it comes to new Corvette’s, I think a pretty clear picture has been painted for you.

It’s good you’re looking for answers, but when you answer the first two questions I posed, for yourself, things will become a lot clearer. Good luck with your search and decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silver C7:
Judgment Day (06-28-2018), Sam_ha (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 AM
Sam_ha
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver C7
Sam are you shopping for a deal or shopping for a car? If it is the car you want what are you prepared to spend to get it? I haven’t seen any mention of a down payment. The more you put down, the less there is to finance. The size of that amount along with your credit score will determine how much the loan will ultimately cost.

In your initial post you said you aren’t in a rush, that gives you more time to add to your down payment and gives you more time to do the necessary homework to make a good decision. If it is the car you want then throw depreciation out the window as depreciation is a fact of life when you buy any car. If you’re looking for a deal, when it comes to new Corvette’s, I think a pretty clear picture has been painted for you.

It’s good you’re looking for answers, but when you answer the first two questions I posed, for yourself, things will become a lot clearer. Good luck with your search and decision.
Thank you very much for the advise. To be honest I am shopping more for a deal.
I am also not prepared for that yet. Not that I do not have the down payment, just because my Mustang lease will end in next February and I do not need two cars at the same time.
However, if meanwhile I see a crazy killer deal in these coming few months I will jump on that and put my Mustang in Swapalease.com.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam_ha
That is interesting, I was not consider property tax before. That is a smart move.
I am living in California, does it have same tax rules?
Just to be clear, I'm speaking of a personal property tax and not a real estate tax. We have both in Missouri.

I don't know if California has a personal property tax.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-28-2018 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sam_ha (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a 2016 Challenger last year and financed it through Mopar at 4.89%. I turned right around and paid it off with a car loan from my credit union at 2.99% with three less months.
Sam_ha (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I am also not prepared for that yet. Not that I do not have the down payment, just because my Mustang lease will end in next February and I do not need two cars at the same time.
However, if meanwhile I see a crazy killer deal in these coming few months I will jump on that and put my Mustang in Swapalease.com.
I bought my C7 in September, I was in a Mercedes lease until February. Chevy dealer picked up a couple of lease payments in the deal, I paid off the rest. After 15 years of driving Mercedes Benz I became a happy Corvette owner and have never looked back.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:35 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Locally there is a 2017 z51 3lt they are offering almost $15,000 off. I'm sure you can find deals like this in your area. It is new on the showroom floor.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:47 PM
Sam_ha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silver C7

I bought my C7 in September, I was in a Mercedes lease until February. Chevy dealer picked up a couple of lease payments in the deal, I paid off the rest. After 15 years of driving Mercedes Benz I became a happy Corvette owner and have never looked back.
Nice!
How do you guys find such amazing dealers! I will get more serious in winter and hopefully find a dealer that can do the same for me.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Sam_ha
Advanced

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
Locally there is a 2017 z51 3lt they are offering almost $15,000 off. I'm sure you can find deals like this in your area. It is new on the showroom floor.
Thanks, Yeah I saw a Z06 that was 24k down MSRP.

Still I think that there are better deals in winter!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:28 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

You will always get your best deal paying cash for a new Corvette. ALL of my new Corvettes are paid for in cash.
Your best financial terms are done through GM. Go see what you qualify for. Any Chevrolet dealer near you can also get you a good deal. You should be prepared to pay the taxes on the car too. Again, your nearest Chevrolet dealer will help you figure that out too.
Sam_ha (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:35 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Just to be clear, I'm speaking of a personal property tax and not a real estate tax. We have both in Missouri.

I don't know if California has a personal property tax.
No property tax on cars in CA. Instead, we have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price, regardless of down payment or trade in. Was always nice when I lived in MO...buy a car for $50k, trade in one for $25k, and only pay sales tax on the remaining $25k.
Sam_ha (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:27 AM
Sam_ha
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

No property tax on cars in CA. Instead, we have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price, regardless of down payment or trade in. Was always nice when I lived in MO...buy a car for $50k, trade in one for $25k, and only pay sales tax on the remaining $25k.
Yeah that is the way it should be! We already payed for the tax of trade in before. So no more tax on that part!
Well, CA is not the best place for tax!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Yeah that is the way it should be! We already payed for the tax of trade in before. So no more tax on that part!
Well, CA is not the best place for tax!
Many people have been known to register/title their vehicles out-of-State, if paying the sales tax (CA) to you is a deal breaker. Oregon, for example, has no sales tax when registering and getting your first license plates.
Sam_ha (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Sam_ha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Many people have been known to register/title their vehicles out-of-State, if paying the sales tax (CA) to you is a deal breaker. Oregon, for example, has no sales tax when registering and getting your first license plates.
Really? I did not know about that.
Would you please share more information about that?

I did a quick google search and people saying your insurance and registration usually should be same state and match your driver license. They said insurance companies usually do not accept that.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

When you approach a dealer to purchase a car, they try to find out how you are going to pay for it. Quite often the first words out of salesman's mouth are "what kind of payments are you hoping to get". In almost every case. they want you to finance it through them. I recommend being non committal to their inquiries. Inform them you haven't decided on financing and you first want to establish a price, then discuss financing. Don't commit.
Sam_ha (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
When you approach a dealer to purchase a car, they try to find out how you are going to pay for it. Quite often the first words out of salesman's mouth are "what kind of payments are you hoping to get". In almost every case. they want you to finance it through them. I recommend being non committal to their inquiries. Inform them you haven't decided on financing and you first want to establish a price, then discuss financing. Don't commit.
Very good advice.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:02 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Really? I did not know about that.
Would you please share more information about that?

I did a quick google search and people saying your insurance and registration usually should be same state and match your driver license. They said insurance companies usually do not accept that.
You're under no obligation to the insurance company as to which State you initially register/title your newly acquired vehicle in. As long as you have an address in say Oregon for instance, you can register your vehicle initially in that State, and save the sales tax from a draconian State like CA.

You can also do a State of Montana LLC, for a few hundred bucks, and do the same from CA or any State. Save thou$ands by doing so.
Sam_ha (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Phanni
Well, since the OP knows nothing about what the GM financing may be, the first words out of the potential buyer's mouth should be; "what are your exact financing rates?"

Get notified of new replies

To Getting ready for my first C7

Old 06-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,676 Likes on 5,586 Posts

You will always get your best deal paying cash for a new Corvette. ALL of my new Corvettes are paid for in cash.
Your best financial terms are done through GM. Go see what you qualify for. Any Chevrolet dealer near you can also get you a good deal. You should be prepared to pay the taxes on the car too. Again, your nearest Chevrolet dealer will help you figure that out too.
Wrong, as usual, as the Chevy dealer is getting cash whether it's from you or the finance company and they will often make $$ off the finance, which can increase your discount off MSRP.
In addition, a purchaser can typically make a higher return by investing his/her cash than what they will save in interest by paying cash for their C7.
Sam_ha (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

I'd suggest doing your research on the Internet for that "crazy killer deal," you write of. Be prepared to do a lot of comparison shopping for what you want. How does your Swapalease work?? Any examples that you've done?
Sam_ha (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 02:46 AM
Sam_ha
Advanced

I'd suggest doing your research on the Internet for that "crazy killer deal," you write of. Be prepared to do a lot of comparison shopping for what you want. How does your Swapalease work?? Any examples that you've done?
I think finding those deals need so much research and being patient. The good thing is that I am not in rush and like doing this kind of research. It is hobby for me actually. so we will see.
The only concern that I have right now is the future price of C7 when mid engine comes. That is a big question mark for me ...

Regarding Swapalease I should say that I do not have any experience doing that. I am also member of another forum called "leasehackr.com" and once a while see people doing that.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for my first C7