My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:20 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
So anyway me and the wife decide to bug out early Friday and see Jurrasic Something. We decide to take the vette so after changing cars(normally drive my chevy truck) backing the vette from the garage we take off. We arrive at the theater I couldn't find my key. So me and the wife are looking under the seat pockets etc and can not find the stupid key. So finally it came to me to see if it would start so I push the brake hit the ignit and no stupid key fob detected. Then it hits me when I put my truck keys back in the kitchen drawer where I always put them so I won't lose them since I am middle aged now must have accidentally put the vette fob there too but since the car was already started and moved it didn't need the fob.

So luckily I called my daughter that lives a mile away from us and has a key to our house. So I asked her to grab the key come to the theater told her where I was parked lock the vette and call me in front of the theater to give me key fob while I waited in the 6 dollar popcorn line. So it saved the movie and it was better than the last one I think.

So I hate key fobs I think they are silly dumb invention ... I miss putting the key in the ignition so you always know where they are. Somebody said on this forum once there was a pocket in the steering column for the fob which I thought was a good a idea and then someone else said you shouldn't leave the fob there for some reason can't remember. I'm semi and remembering gets harder everyday.

So what about ya'll like key fob(why I must ask) or miss the old keys in the ignition like me?
Newer cars are adding a system which prevents the car from driving off without a fob. Basically it rechecks for the fob when you open and close a door.

Your experience is not uncommon. The most being that one spouse had the key, was dropped off by the other spouse and drove away stopped somewhere and now is stranded.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:33 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Some people just don't get it.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I have only done something similar once. My truck, my car, and my wife's SUV are all keyless entry and push button start. Never did it with on of them. However, my 2017 Harley was the first one that went keyless, just needed the FOB. So, I started it in the Garage and backed her out. Decided it was cooler than I thought so changed to a heavier Jacket. Then off I went for a ride. About 140 miles from home, stopped for lunch and a beer. Come out to leave and my bike will not start. Search my pockets, no FOB, its in the other jacket. Took me about 30 minutes to remember the 5 digit pin to enable the bike. You have to punch the numbers in on the left and right turn signal buttons. 3rd wrong try and wait ten minutes. Also you have to remember if left or right is the first number, then its every other side. Got her going.

Key fob of bike is on a lanyard now that clips to my belt loop. Have the same for wife's SUV, and My truck. I just make sure my car it goes in my pocket and does not come out.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Newer cars are adding a system which prevents the car from driving off without a fob. Basically it rechecks for the fob when you open and close a door.

Your experience is not uncommon. The most being that one spouse had the key, was dropped off by the other spouse and drove away stopped somewhere and now is stranded.
yea, that could easily happen. or the changing jackets that happened to the harley rider.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

What's wrong with fat wallets?
fat wallets are a PITA!..... literally! fat bank accounts are good!
The following users liked this post:
defaria (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:25 AM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Got all excited when I read in this thread that a "Faraday bag" could block the fob signal. I thought that would be an easy solution for the problem of my wife carrying the second fob in her handbag and triggering the settings when she entered the passenger side before I went to the driver's side. Researched a bunch of these on Amazon and elsewhere, and found a couple that seemed ideal for a fob. But, I was disturbed by the number of comments by some purchasers saying the Faraday products stopped working or only worked part of the time after a couple of months. Could someone please explain to me why that would happen? Also would appreciate recommendations of a product with which you've had good experience including it not ceasing to function properly after a period of time.

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited by ECSIII; 06-27-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by ECSIII
Got all excited when I read in this thread that a "Faraday bag" could block the fob signal. I thought that would be an easy solution for the problem of my wife carrying the second fob in her handbag and triggering the settings when she entered the passenger side before I went to the driver's side. Researched a bunch of these on Amazon and elsewhere, and found a couple that seemed ideal for a fob. But, I was disturbed by the number of comments by some purchasers saying the Faraday products stopped working or only worked part of the time after a couple of months. Could someone please explain to me why that would happen? Also would appreciate recommendations of a product with which you've had good experience including it not ceasing to function properly after a period of time.

Best regards,
Ed
Here is a good one. My wife uses it.
Amazon Amazon
And on the products that quit working after a month, or work intermittently, are products manufactured with bare minimum blocking material. The one I recommend above has been in service for a year and has never failed. It is the perfect size for the Vette Fob.

ECSIII (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:30 AM
C6Sal
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has had. I always keep the key fob in my pocket. When I get home, sometimes I have to get out of the car to get my mail at a central mail box located within my community. So I leave the car running get my mail, climb back in the car and head to the garage in the rear of my condo. I park, shut the engine and get out. Everything remains on, not the engine of course, but the start button is still lit and the courtesy lights stay on and don't go out. I'll leave it like that for an hour and everything is still on. I have to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it to reset everything. I tried leaving the fob in the car when I get out to get the mail, but it does the same thing. If I go from one destination to the other without opening the door everything works fine. Is this the way its supposed to work? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to correct it without disconnecting the battery??
Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Sal
I have a problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has had. I always keep the key fob in my pocket. When I get home, sometimes I have to get out of the car to get my mail at a central mail box located within my community. So I leave the car running get my mail, climb back in the car and head to the garage in the rear of my condo. I park, shut the engine and get out. Everything remains on, not the engine of course, but the start button is still lit and the courtesy lights stay on and don't go out. I'll leave it like that for an hour and everything is still on. I have to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it to reset everything. I tried leaving the fob in the car when I get out to get the mail, but it does the same thing. If I go from one destination to the other without opening the door everything works fine. Is this the way its supposed to work? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to correct it without disconnecting the battery??
It sounds like something is conflicting in the settings. Have a look in Vehicle settings. On the MyLink Infotainment dislplay select settings and then Vehicle. Then have a look at all the sub settings. There may be something set to on, or off that overrides the shutdown process. That is the first thing to check and then we can go from there.

Last edited by joemessman; 06-27-2018 at 11:48 AM.
C6Sal (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

So anyway me and the wife decide to bug out early Friday and see Jurrasic Something. We decide to take the vette so after changing cars(normally drive my chevy truck) backing the vette from the garage we take off. We arrive at the theater I couldn't find my key. So me and the wife are looking under the seat pockets etc and can not find the stupid key. So finally it came to me to see if it would start so I push the brake hit the ignit and no stupid key fob detected. Then it hits me when I put my truck keys back in the kitchen drawer where I always put them so I won't lose them since I am middle aged now must have accidentally put the vette fob there too but since the car was already started and moved it didn't need the fob.

So luckily I called my daughter that lives a mile away from us and has a key to our house. So I asked her to grab the key come to the theater told her where I was parked lock the vette and call me in front of the theater to give me key fob while I waited in the 6 dollar popcorn line. So it saved the movie and it was better than the last one I think.

So I hate key fobs I think they are silly dumb invention ... I miss putting the key in the ignition so you always know where they are. Somebody said on this forum once there was a pocket in the steering column for the fob which I thought was a good a idea and then someone else said you shouldn't leave the fob there for some reason can't remember. I'm semi and remembering gets harder everyday.

So what about ya'll like key fob(why I must ask) or miss the old keys in the ignition like me?
As I recall my Toyota Highlander gives you a warning if the starting fob leaves the car. I can't remember if the Vette does that. Doens't the car honk when you leave and close the drivers door?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Here is a good one. My wife uses it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And on the products that quit working after a month, or work intermittently, are products manufactured with bare minimum blocking material. The one I recommend above has been in service for a year and has never failed. It is the perfect size for the Vette Fob.
Bought it (in black). Thanks very much for your help!

Best regards,
Ed
Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM
C6Sal
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
It sounds like something is conflicting in the settings. Have a look in Vehicle settings. On the MyLink Infotainment dislplay select settings and then Vehicle. Then have a look at all the sub settings. There may be something set to on, or off that overrides the shutdown process. That is the first thing to check and then we can go from there.
I will check. Maybe I should mention that I had an aftermarket Kenwood radio installed when I first bought the car in February. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but it does do something else weird. Sometimes when I start the car, the "chime" that normally rings when you start up, is so loud that I have to cover my ears. Other times its the normal chime sound that every 'vette has.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

No problem will occur if you use the slot in the steering column to hold the FOB while you use the car. I do this all the time.
C6Sal (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I think, don't close the drivers door completely...
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Best setup I ever had was a 2003 Mercedes CL65 V12 BiTurbo. Came with a credit card that went in your wallet and then everything else was automatic and keyless. And because it wasn't a fob, but a card, you always had it with you. I thought it was genius and don't know why it didn't become a standard.

Becasue I have a keyless entry on the house door and the alarm is keyless, etc, I wound up not actually every carrying keys at all!

Frankly if the car sees my bluetooth phone it should just let me drive. That's not rocket science. And my Tesla can do it!

Last edited by davepl; 06-27-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Fat wallets will eventually send you to the chiropractor. Easy way to get out off alignment. Mine is reasonably thin, and comes out of my pocket as soon as I get home.

As for the fob...I love it. The Corvette fob is especially thin or flat, doesn’t take up a lot of pocket space compared to a Ford or Jeep fob. My wife and daughter drive the other two, they live on a separate key chain, They’re so bulky and perform the same five functions that ours does.

The tech is great, hasn’t been lost or punched a hole in my pocket yet, and the three “keys” on my chain would also be great in an alley fight.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ECSIII

Best regards,
Ed
The "Faraday Bag" I use for the extra fob hidden in our car is a tripple wrap of aluminum foil. I test every year that car fob doesn't work in the foil, but does work with foil removed.
But my wife drives the 'vette often enough that would not work well for her.

Get notified of new replies

To My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The car is designed to time out after ~20 minutes even if every light is left on, so it's not a setting issue. The only way to keep the car from timing out is to put it in Service Only Mode. Maybe, somehow you are inadvertently doing this when shutting off the car?
C6Sal (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
As I recall my Toyota Highlander gives you a warning if the starting fob leaves the car. I can't remember if the Vette does that. Doens't the car honk when you leave and close the drivers door?
The C7 doesn't warn you if the fob leaves the car with the engine running, but it *does* warn you if you go to shut down and there is no fob present -- beeps and gives a dialog similar to "NO FOB DETECTED -- OFF OR RUN?"
* If you choose "off" the car shuts down and you are done.
* If you choose "run", you can continue to drive to wherever it is you left your fob.

The 3 beeps are if you open and close the driver's door with the fob still in the car. Those "fob reminder" beeps are optional and can be turned off from the options menu in the car.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
z28lt1 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
The car is designed to time out after ~20 minutes even if every light is left on, so it's not a setting issue. The only way to keep the car from timing out is to put it in Service Only Mode. Maybe, somehow you are inadvertently doing this when shutting off the car?
Good thought.

Perhaps he's holding down the button far too long (Service mode requires a 10 second push) at shut down, instead of just a normal press and release?
Or perhaps the start button is 'sticking' and so it remains in the depressed position after he releases pressure on it, again triggering Service mode?

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-27-2018 at 02:51 PM.
C6Sal (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs