Sponsored by:

My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM
C6Sal
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
No problem will occur if you use the slot in the steering column to hold the FOB while you use the car. I do this all the time.
The C-6 has a slot in the steering column?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Sal
The C-6 has a slot in the steering column?
Talking about the C7 here in this section of the Forum.

C7 slot is in the steering column, while the C6 slot is in the glovebox.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Key fobs are like regular keys, put them in your pocket when you go for a drive...that's my story & I am sticking to it
Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Amazingly, if you leave your Vette running, a thief can jump in and drive it as far as the gas in the tank will take him, all while the fob is in your pocket. That’s a bit frightening.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Just in case:
I bought a spare fob, programed and tested it, then wrapped in aluminum foil, disguised, and hid deeply in the car. Verified that the foil prevents it from "working". I bought a spare key, tested it, and hid somewhere on the outside of the car. Even our dealer tech hasn't found it, but I can access it without tools. With that combination; I could lose everything but unlock the trunk with the hidden key, pull the door tab, get the spare fob and unwarp, start car and drive home. Total time about 2 minutes....
We think in close fashion. I'm the only driver of the C7 and keep Fob #2 in the house, but the key for that fob is hidden outside the car. That idea became fruitful one day when I had my 2015 C7 and I was fueling up. I had just left the gym and had my workout bag on the passenger seat, and inside it was my cell phone and fob. Should be safe, right? Well, after about 19 months the battery was apparently too low (3.05V vs. 3.30V new) and as I exited it locked me out of the car. Since my cell phone was in the car I couldn't use the MyChevrolet app to unlock it. So, I got my spare key; opened the hatch, which set the alarm off; pulled the lanyard; and I was inside. I figured the cell phone was interfering with the fob so I put the fob on the console, closed the door, and continued with my fueling chore. Damn if I wasn't locked out again, but once I re-entered the car the fob allowed the car to start as per usual and I made it home. I tried to duplicate the problem at home and failed, so I replaced the battery and never had another problem with that car, which I traded about six months later.

My feeling is that this is a valid plan and that keeping the second fob in the car (in aluminum foil) isn't necessary. If the battery goes out completely I should still be able to start the car by using the pocket on the steering column. OTOH, I read here recently where an owner started his car, exited to retrieve something in his house, laid the fob down somewhere outside the car, then drove off. When he tried to start the car at his destination it was a no go. A spare fob inside the car would solve that problem, but so would the OnStar (or MyChevrolet) app for the cell phone. I have the app but haven't had to use it yet, except for some testing. Of course if you do what he did and left your cell phone at home.... Well, nothing's idiot-proof.

Originally Posted by Kent1999
The fob goes in my pocket when I leave the house and is NEVER removed until I come back in the house.
Same here, except at the gym it stays in the bag. When at home it and other keys go on a key hanger behind the kitchen door, and I don't violate that ritual.

Last edited by iclick; 06-27-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Good thought.

Perhaps he's holding down the button far too long (Service mode requires a 10 second push) at shut down, instead of just a normal press and release?
Or perhaps the start button is 'sticking' and so it remains in the depressed position after he releases pressure on it, again triggering Service mode?
The C7 will enter Service Only Mode in as little as five seconds.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
Amazingly, if you leave your Vette running, a thief can jump in and drive it as far as the gas in the tank will take him, all while the fob is in your pocket. That’s a bit frightening.

You mean, EXACTLY like a normal metal-keyed car, and virtually every other keyless car made? Except in a keyed car, the thief can start/stop it at will -- forever.

NO manufacturer in their right mind would kill the engine just because the fob is no longer detected. Imagine you are driving down the highway and your fob battery dies, or some cell phone or other electronic device in the car interferes with the fob signal --- you want the car to kill the engine while your're driving at 75mph, negotiating a curve, or on some two lane road attempting to complete a pass before an oncoming car closes in?

Question: Why would you exit your car, and leave it in a running state in any area where theft is even a slight risk?

Easy solution -- never leave your car running when you get out and leave, whether your car is keyed *or* keyless start. If someone steals your running C7, report the car stolen and OnStar can shut it down remotely (fob or no fob), long before it runs out of gas.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.
defaria (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I have some vehicles with fobs and some with keys. Three of my vehicles are Toyotas and all have exactly the same key fob. Talk about a royal pain my my ***? I had to put tape on the backs and label them. The Corvette is easy as it’s different. It will often annoy my wife but I always insist on having the fob in MY pocket as the things will sink deeply into a big purse. My truck has a key. I have to unlock it with a key. Was way to simple a system apparently.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vbdenny
I have some vehicles with fobs and some with keys. Three of my vehicles are Toyotas and all have exactly the same key fob. Talk about a royal pain my my ***? I had to put tape on the backs and label them. The Corvette is easy as it’s different. It will often annoy my wife but I always insist on having the fob in MY pocket as the things will sink deeply into a big purse. My truck has a key. I have to unlock it with a key. Was way to simple a system apparently.
Not sure about the Toyota system, but in the Corvette, the same fob can be paired to multiple C7s at the same time, so you'd only have to carry 1 fob for all three.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Not sure about the Toyota system, but in the Corvette, the same fob can be paired to multiple C7s at the same time, so you'd only have to carry 1 fob for all three.
Yep!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM
blue71nburg
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking for myself only ( old guy, on my 8th vett) I liked the keys in the C3 C4 and C5-s. Still getting used to the keyless ^ but think the electronics is way overdone. (grain of salt you young uns.. I started driving with 3 on the tree and key plus starter button on dash ( no not floor, not quite that old ... check out TCM film noir flicks for that era)
Anyway... electronic door handle....??? really??? First thing I replaced on the C6 since the contacs were sketchy (yes I know about the contact cleaning DIY) but...on the up side
Replaced a modded C5 ... headers, pipe, corsa, sways, shocks, lowered, remapped... with the the stock 09 CS and yes stock 6 is faster handles good etc. So I gotta learn to live with the elecs....
Now......HEY YOU KIDS>>>>GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!

R
Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vbdenny
I have some vehicles with fobs and some with keys. Three of my vehicles are Toyotas and all have exactly the same key fob. Talk about a royal pain my my ***?
Buy one or more color-keyed fob covers like those seen on Ebay.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:58 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Overall, I like the FOB/no key deal. I hate having keys in my pocket. I will agree that it takes some attention when I switch around from one vehicle to another. One thing I like with my Harley FOB is that if you ride off with it sitting on the bench next to your bike you can punch in a code and operate just like you have the FOB.
With the Vette, could you just call on star and have them unlock and remote start so you can get back to where the FOB is? I guess if you do the phone app you could do it from your phone app?
I like that the FOB for the GM's fit in the small change pocket on my Levi pants.
All that aside, I understand the Op issue. The older I get the more I tend to do this silly stuff myself.
VH
Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You mean I can buy as many C7's as I want, and just carry one fob?
Wait 'til I tell the wife!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You mean I can buy as many C7's as I want, and just carry one fob?
Wait 'til I tell the wife!

Selling point!

Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 AM
David_Foxx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Always have the second Fob in your wife's purse. Saved my *** a couple of times.
I'd keep my wallet and gun in my wife's purse, but no way in hell is she getting a key fob to the vett :-)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David_Foxx
I'd keep my wallet and gun in my wife's purse, but no way in hell is she getting a key fob to the vett :-)
Beware the obvious. If you give her custody of the gun she may insist on having the fob, too.
David_Foxx (06-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,249 Posts

Seems to me the problem is less with the fob and more with the user.......
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by iclick
Beware the obvious. If you give her custody of the gun she may insist on having the fob, too.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:54 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I love keyless entry. My 83 year old mother hates it. She leaves her car running sometimes.
That is a very common problem to the point that people are dying or being seriously brain damaged from CO poisoning forgetting to turn off their cars (not Corvettes) because they're too quiet, and it's an old folks problem. Car runs for hours in an attached closed garage, exhaust fumes back up into the house and death/brain damage.

So don't be surprised if very soon new cars will have a very annoying alarm/chime and eventually push button cars will shut themselves down if they detect the fob isn't present (which by the way, my C7 will give the warning no fob present when the darn thing is in my front left pants pocket and I'm sitting in the driver's seat). I will personally hate when those changes come, and personally love my C7 and my Nissan Rogue with push button starting.

I like not having to take the fob out of your pocket.

Last edited by boxster99t; 07-01-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs