Sponsored by:

My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:30 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

So anyway me and the wife decide to bug out early Friday and see Jurrasic Something. We decide to take the vette so after changing cars(normally drive my chevy truck) backing the vette from the garage we take off. We arrive at the theater I couldn't find my key. So me and the wife are looking under the seat pockets etc and can not find the stupid key. So finally it came to me to see if it would start so I push the brake hit the ignit and no stupid key fob detected. Then it hits me when I put my truck keys back in the kitchen drawer where I always put them so I won't lose them since I am middle aged now must have accidentally put the vette fob there too but since the car was already started and moved it didn't need the fob.

So luckily I called my daughter that lives a mile away from us and has a key to our house. So I asked her to grab the key come to the theater told her where I was parked lock the vette and call me in front of the theater to give me key fob while I waited in the 6 dollar popcorn line. So it saved the movie and it was better than the last one I think.

So I hate key fobs I think they are silly dumb invention ... I miss putting the key in the ignition so you always know where they are. Somebody said on this forum once there was a pocket in the steering column for the fob which I thought was a good a idea and then someone else said you shouldn't leave the fob there for some reason can't remember. I'm semi and remembering gets harder everyday.

So what about ya'll like key fob(why I must ask) or miss the old keys in the ignition like me?

Last edited by gixxerbill; 06-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Wemattson
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the same thing as you except it was with a Toyota. I know that I can be somewhat resistant to unnecessary technology but I really can't see how the fob has made anything significantly better. The funny thing is that I am so used to the fob now that sometimes I get into my Triumph and buckle in only to realize that I need the key to start the car, which is hard to get out my pocket once I've climbed into the small cockpit.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I love keyless entry. My 83 year old mother hates it. She leaves her car running sometimes.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I love keyless entry. My 83 year old mother hates it. She leaves her car running sometimes.
i didnt say I didn't love keyless entry my truck has that. I just don't like that the key doesn't go in the ignition. I don't see the point?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wemattson
I did the same thing as you except it was with a Toyota. I know that I can be somewhat resistant to unnecessary technology but I really can't see how the fob has made anything significantly better.
exactly it hasn't.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Always have the second Fob in your wife's purse. Saved my *** a couple of times.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have my fob on my house key and work key. Can’t lock the house or open the door at work without them in my hand.
Rebel Yell (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

My FOB either stays in my pocket or goes in the side console with my phone.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I get into a car that unlocks itself and push a button to start it w/ no need to pull anything out of my pocket, line up a key and turn till cranked. Is it a major time-saver I couldn't live without? No, but still a nicety that I appreciate and enjoy having on my vehicles. I love the technology bells and whistles.

Either way...this solidly falls into the category of first world problems.
The following 3 users liked this post by DWS44:
4thC4at60 (06-26-2018), defaria (06-26-2018), Woodson (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:08 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by DWS44
I get into a car that unlocks itself and push a button to start it w/ no need to pull anything out of my pocket, line up a key and turn till cranked. Is it a major time-saver I couldn't live without? No, but still a nicety that I appreciate and enjoy having on my vehicles. I love the technology bells and whistles.

Either way...this solidly falls into the category of first world problems.
so your car unlocks when you get close to it? I guess I don't have that programmed in my vette. How do I do that. And will it automatically lock when you walk off? If yes, how many feet from car will it lock? (like going into a convenience store)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Always have the second Fob in your wife's purse. Saved my *** a couple of times.
good idea. because God know wives take those big azz purses EVERYWHERE. I asked my wife once why do you need your purse to go to the gym? She just gave me a blank stare.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:13 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
so your car unlocks when you get close to it? I guess I don't have that programmed in my vette. How do I do that. And will it automatically lock when you walk off? If yes, how many feet from car will it lock? (like going into a convenience store)
Yes to both. For unlock, the car basically checks to see if the fob is in proximity when you try to open the door or hatch. For auto-lock, it locks based on the time after the door is closed, not your proximity. I don't recall exactly where the options are in the driver settings, but you can turn both on and off.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I love the key fob. No more hacked up looking ignition switches from missing the slot when putting the key in lol. Same idea for me as DWS44 said in that my car unlocks when i get close and can lock when i walk away. I cannot remember where the configuration is specificially but it is in the settings of the car. I don't really use the auto lock function much since I like to make sure that the alarm is on (I am paranoid that way). I like my wife's Audi in that it has a fob but if you touch the outside door handle when you get out it will lock the door and turn the alarm on. Very convenient and satisfies paranoid people like me .

To be honest I am worried about the very thing that happened to you so I am always checking my pocket for the fob. In that regard the key was more helpfil. Honestly there should be something that the car can do to stop you from driving away without the fob. I think if I get out of the car with it running and the fob in my pocket the horn beeps a few of times but other than that I am not sure if it does anything.
4thC4at60 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:25 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by DWS44
Yes to both. For unlock, the car basically checks to see if the fob is in proximity when you try to open the door or hatch. For auto-lock, it locks based on the time after the door is closed, not your proximity. I don't recall exactly where the options are in the driver settings, but you can turn both on and off.
well heck I am going to program that in didnt' know that. thanks. one more thing does the alarm auto set too after you walk away?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Demnos
I love the key fob. No more hacked up looking ignition switches from missing the slot when putting the key in lol. Same idea for me as DWS44 said in that my car unlocks when i get close and can lock when i walk away. I cannot remember where the configuration is specificially but it is in the settings of the car. I don't really use the auto lock function much since I like to make sure that the alarm is on (I am paranoid that way). I like my wife's Audi in that it has a fob but if you touch the outside door handle when you get out it will lock the door and turn the alarm on. Very convenient and satisfies paranoid people like me . or maybe you can't put it in drive or reverse without fob in car.

To be honest I am worried about the very thing that happened to you so I am always checking my pocket for the fob. In that regard the key was more helpfil. Honestly there should be something that the car can do to stop you from driving away without the fob. I think if I get out of the car with it running and the fob in my pocket the horn beeps a few of times but other than that I am not sure if it does anything.
I need to start keeping it in my pocket more. I usually stick it in the cup holder. The horn honking is a good idea.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 06-26-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

You could have the fob act like a key. There's a space under the windshield wipers (think where a normal key would go) that the fob sits in. Establish a routine of having it in there before you leave and take it when you're done driving.

...thinkin out loud...
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

well heck I am going to program that in didnt' know that. thanks. one more thing does the alarm auto set too after you walk away?
Yes...the alarm sets when it auto-locks the doors. You can also set the car for the lights to blink when it auto-locks and/or beep the horn for confirmation.

Get notified of new replies

To My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs

Old 06-26-2018, 10:32 AM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

good idea. because God know wives take those big azz purses EVERYWHERE. I asked my wife once why do you need your purse to go to the gym? She just gave me a blank stare.
My wife carries her fob for the 2019 C7 GS which is a nice safety feature, but frequently a pain. The reason is I always open the passenger door for her to be seated and then when I climb in and start the car all the settings go to the ones for her, which don't work for me at all!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I like the keyless start feature, and always make sure I have the fob in my pocket when I leave the house.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:49 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by ECSIII
My wife carries her fob for the 2019 C7 GS which is a nice safety feature, but frequently a pain. The reason is I always open the passenger door for her to be seated and then when I climb in and start the car all the settings go to the ones for her, which don't work for me at all!
ahhh I thought you were being a gentleman. But your right the other key does have different settings.

Quick Reply: My key fob story and why I don't like key fobs