Sponsored by:

Changing the exterior/interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing the exterior/interior

Looking to get a corvette and I was wondering how much can you change the car. When I went to a chevy dealer over the weekend, I saw they offered replacing the interior colors. This matters to me because I'd like white with red interior, but if a car comes along at a bargain thats say white with black interior, should I just pick it up and replace the interior? What would the cost look like? Also, is adding a spoiler doable or the carbon stripe on the hood? And would I be able to do these type of things at the dealer or would I have to go through a 3rd party. Thanks!

P.S. I test drove over the weekend, and I had trouble with looking at my blind spots since the back was in the way. Is this something you just get used to or was I doing something wrong?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

If you're looking for mods, I've done one or two to mine-I'm happy to help. Plus, some of our Vendors offer replacement color options for your interior!
Old 06-26-2018, 02:15 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
If you're looking for mods, I've done one or two to mine...
Understatement of the year.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Garrett (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Interior color change cost depends on how much of the interior you want changed and how much of the work you can do yourself vs. hiring someone to do it.

Just changing the seat leather color (not changing the type of seat and not changing the dash, door panels, console) -- you're looking at $1000-$1500 in parts alone and I'd guess a minimum of $500 in labor.

Doing a complete interior color change (seats, dash, door panels etc) could easily be $4000-$5000.

If you really want an interior of a certain color pattern, you're probably better off finding one factory equipped, especially if you are not wanting to take on the project yourself, or if you want a complete interior color change.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-26-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I think it's cheaper to custom-order a car in the exact colors you want from one of the large forum dealers than it is to retrofit an in-stock model. That equation would probably flip if you wanted to buy used, but don't expect to get the money you spent back.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

That equation would probably flip if you wanted to buy used
I would buying used! Otherwise I'd just get it custom ordered like you said.

Doing a complete interior color change (seats, dash, door panels etc) could easily be $4000-$5000.
Hmmm that is quite a lot. I wonder how much it'd be if I just needed the dash and door panels. Makes me reconsider this!

If you're looking for mods, I've done one or two to mine-I'm happy to help. Plus, some of our Vendors offer replacement color options for your interior!
Is it possible to replace the spoiler? Also, that sounds great. I might take you up on that offer!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

My suggestion, buy an Artic White / Andrenaline Red car. Converting to the interior can be done and the price depends on which pieces you want red. If your goal is red 1LT, it’ll be ~$1000 for the red seat covers and maybe $250-400 for labor or you can do it yourself. For 2LT conversion it’ll be that same cost for the seats and $500 for the red center console pieces. The red accented door panels are ~$700 each. 3LT would be $4k+ and that doesn’t include the seude upper trim pieces. If you do the conversion for any of these, you still will not have the matching red stitching on the black pieces (steering wheel, shift ****, shift boot, dash, etc). Itll be cheaper in the end to just get the car with the interior you want than to do a conversion.

if your car comes with a spoiler the holes are already predrilled so you can swap any aftermarket spoiler on it. If it doesn’t you’ll need to drill holes. Either way you need to remove the rear bumper which is not that difficult, but involved.

Last edited by Pineapple; 06-26-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis
Is it possible to replace the spoiler?
It is entirely possible to change/replace the rear spoiler (many people do) but it does require removal of the rear bumper cover to access the mounting nuts.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM
hammong
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There are many hundreds of used Corvettes for sale at any one point in time. Browse Autotrader or other sources and find the one you want - changing the entire interior of a car is extremely expensive, and will almost certainly nullify any "deal" or "bargain" you are likely to find on something that doesn't match your desire.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Alright thanks guys! Yeah I was still going to look for the car I wanted rather than buying another one and replacing everything but it's nice to know its possible especially that spoiler thing! It kind of worries me that I'd have to drill the holes if it didn't already have a spoiler.

My budget is like 43k (preferably 40k) so I'd have to find a 2014 or newer with less than 35-40k miles in white/red. Not sure how realistic that is.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

White has been the most popular color for several years and red interior is popular as well. It shouldn't be very difficult to find a good one in that color combination.
The following users liked this post:
SilverGhost (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Putting the effort into finding the C7 you want at an acceptable price (it's out there) makes a lot more sense IMO than buying something else then trying to turn it into what you want.
UNLESS, you are one who enjoys taking things apart and putting it back together again.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Putting the effort into finding the C7 you want at an acceptable price (it's out there) makes a lot more sense IMO than buying something else then trying to turn it into what you want.
UNLESS, you are one who enjoys taking things apart and putting it back together again.

I like taking things apart

Last edited by Thompyt; 06-26-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Buy new, order exactly what you want. it will (although the price of admission may initially seem high) be the biggest bargain for all the suggestions you have made (interior color swap, spoiler, decals.) Reason: your add-ons are price fixed on the new car order form labor included, no additional labor cost charged. Working on an existing car, at $100/hr dealer rates, will make add-ons, (compared to the new-car order price,) incredibly expensive to duplicate. Rear view issues? low slung slingshot drivers don't worry about who they left in the dust. But there are custom vision-aid mods you can make rather cheaply in this era of blue tooth and cheap camera add-on's, both fore and aft.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 06-27-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think it's cheaper to custom-order a car in the exact colors you want from one of the large forum dealers than it is to retrofit an in-stock model. That equation would probably flip if you wanted to buy used, but don't expect to get the money you spent back.
You'll need deep pockets for a complete change. I bought some more red for my 1LT, console cover, side panel, grab bar, and dash brow. That little was just a few pennies away from 650 bucks. Add seats, and door panels then you're talking about some serious money. And, that's money I'll never recoup, because no matter how much money I put into the interior it's still a 1LT for resell purposes. Order the car you want, it's much easier.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Alright thanks guys! Yeah I was still going to look for the car I wanted rather than buying another one and replacing everything but it's nice to know its possible especially that spoiler thing! It kind of worries me that I'd have to drill the holes if it didn't already have a spoiler.

My budget is like 43k (preferably 40k) so I'd have to find a 2014 or newer with less than 35-40k miles in white/red. Not sure how realistic that is.
I picked up a 2014 Z51 with 16k miles for 45. White, 2LT with the red and black interior. I'm even seeing some 2015s drop into that range now.

Your price range is very realistic. Even more so if you don't insist on a Z51.

This one took me 30 seconds to find. It's only a 1LT, but it's a 2016.

https://www.carmax.com/car/16210219
Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM
ExtremeOnlineStore
Supporting Vendor

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Looking to get a corvette and I was wondering how much can you change the car. When I went to a chevy dealer over the weekend, I saw they offered replacing the interior colors. This matters to me because I'd like white with red interior, but if a car comes along at a bargain thats say white with black interior, should I just pick it up and replace the interior? What would the cost look like? Also, is adding a spoiler doable or the carbon stripe on the hood? And would I be able to do these type of things at the dealer or would I have to go through a 3rd party. Thanks!

P.S. I test drove over the weekend, and I had trouble with looking at my blind spots since the back was in the way. Is this something you just get used to or was I doing something wrong?
Check our more C7 Exterior Parts & Accessories at www.ispeedtuning.com for your new Corvette NOW!

Get notified of new replies

To Changing the exterior/interior

Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I picked up a 2014 Z51 with 16k miles for 45. White, 2LT with the red and black interior. I'm even seeing some 2015s drop into that range now.
How long did you have to wait before that car popped up?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

How long did you have to wait before that car popped up?
I was only actively searching for about 2 months. I could have gotten one even sooner but I wanted to go through CarMax for a couple different reasons. Mainly the warranty.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I was only actively searching for about 2 months. I could have gotten one even sooner but I wanted to go through CarMax for a couple different reasons. Mainly the warranty.
That warranty sounds good. Did you find one that was near you because I found one that I like but it's not near me.

Quick Reply: Changing the exterior/interior