Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Stingray -- Take To Germany??

Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 AM
WGGS
CF Senior Member

Liked 76 Times in 59 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
I know you were not considering this but back in the 90s at least you couldn't order s Vette thru AAFES over there do if you want one there you should bring it. If you plan on bringing a US spec car make sure you owned it for 6 months or be prepared to pay sales tax when you register it.
I would never buy a car through AAFES. You pretty much pay sticker. The only thing you avoid is sales tax, initially, until you bring it back stateside. Once they see itís never been titled, they will have you pay. You may save money since they may charge you a depreciated value of tax vs new. But in Maryland I had to pay new car tax on a car I bought four years previous.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Liked 103 Times in 84 Posts

Originally Posted by WGGS View Post

I would never buy a car through AAFES. You pretty much pay sticker. The only thing you avoid is sales tax, initially, until you bring it back stateside. Once they see itís never been titled, they will have you pay. You may save money since they may charge you a depreciated value of tax vs new. But in Maryland I had to pay new car tax on a car I bought four years previous.
Why wouldn't an AFFEES car be titled if you purchased it?

I found the book my sponsor sent me when I got orders to Guam in 1983. Here is an ad that was in the book. They had a store front in the BX where they had a few cars parked inside that you could buy.

The following users liked this post: ByRiver
karmatourer (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Hurricane
CF Senior Member

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by JK 23112 View Post
Well, I might have dodge the bullet a bit - as one of the two available positions has been filled. That one was in Stuttgart and the other was in Kaiserslautern (closer to the French border). It will be at least until the end of the year before Uncle Sam does the whole selection process and the job would not have a start date until at least April or May of 2019. After getting more information from her, I found out that the "US-spec" car is okay over there, so long as it passes a safety & emissions inspection. We would not have to alter the lights, mirrors, etc., etc.; but a German citizen buying it used from me would likely have to make some modifications before HE could own it.

I have clear title to the Corvette, so that is not an issue. I have USAA for insurance (as I am a former Army Reserve officer) and so does my girlfriend as a retired lieutenant colonel. We would probably have a nice home with a 2-car garage as part of her 'perk' with the job (she's a GS-14). Uncle Sam provides the housing, which would save a lot of ducats every month.

The 'Vette would not be my daily driver, of course, and both of us would likely buy a "beater" to drive around over there. I lived there as a kid and have been back twice to visit. The Germans really do know how to drive and they drive schnell - fast. The only bad thing is that they like to go 90 mph in the fog!

We are not love-struck kids. Both of us are 53 and our kids are pretty much grown. My son is 19 and lives on is own. She has two daughters, one 19 and one 16. None of our kids would be there with us unless they were visiting. We would absolutely be married before going over there - of course.

Great comments from all of you folks -- we kicked the can down the road just a bit. Yaay!
I brought my Camaro Z-28 over to Europe when I was stationed in Belgium (I was active duty air force at the time). Lot of fun on the autobahn! We drove it all over Europe.

I actually test drove a Vette for the very first time when I was in Germany and ordered my first Vette through the Military Overseas Sales Company at the exchange at Ramstein/Vogelweh and had it delivered to the States.

If I were you, I would bring a Vette over there in a heartbeat. You will have a blast driving it on the autobahn and you could go visit the NŁrburgring, too! Since your car is so new, you will probably have no problem with any inspection requirements (I was stationed in Belgium so the requirements might have been different for me). Good luck!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Hurricane
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by WGGS View Post

I bought my first Vette through at the exchange/AAFES in Germany and saved a ton of money - a significant discount off of MSRP and far better than I could do stateside at the time after shopping around. I never knew anyone that paid sticker on a car bought through the exchange.

I had it delivered to the states (it never went overseas) to my parent's State and paid Arkansas sales tax, if I remember right.

I think GM dropped out of the program years ago, though.
The following users liked this post: Hurricane
karmatourer (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Hurricane
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Going even farther back,in the early '70s,you could buy a Porsche through AFEES. A friend bought a 914 when we were stationed on Okinawa for delivery stateside. (And keep your "914 isn't a Porsche" comments to yourself).
Nice!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 AM
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,252 Times in 883 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I think AAFES still has some auto repair facilities in the Ramstein/Kaiserslautern area that can do oil changes and basic repairs. You may be lucky enough to find a German garage that repairs GM vehicles since there are still a lot of Opels on the road in Germany. Good luck. BTW, do you know in what location you will be residing? I think the majority of the US troops are in the Ramstein/Landstuhl/Kaiserslautern area with a few in Stuttgart at EUCOM HQ. I could be mistaken as it has been a couple of years since I was in Germany. You should have access to the AAFES facilities and there is a nice BX at Ramstein AB.

Added: I hope Trump's threat to remove all troops from Europe doesn't derail your plans.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 07-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM
JK 23112
CF Senior Member

Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Default C7 to Germany??

Wow! That sure was a long list of replies. The Corvette Forum Brain Trust came through again. As I said before, the chances of her being selected AND accepting the position are less than what I thought. She also has seen an improvement in things at her current DOD position here in Virginia. We dodged the bullet - for now.

There are soon good reasons for her to put off such a change, especially since she just came back to the USA from Europe (Belgium) last June. She is selling one of her two homes now and the logistics of moving lots of stuff is getting to her. That being said, it will make things easier for her down the road if another overseas position is announced.

She and I discussed this situation and we decided that if we did go over there as a married couple, we would take my C7. She has a 2016 Audi that she bought new over there & had shipped back here. She would sell it and I would sell my 2018 Honda Accord before going. We would sell the C7 there after her tour ended and bring back a new US-spec Audi or BMW from there.

Nevertheless, that is sort of a pipe dream right now. Neither of us is going anywhere for awhile. We both have "been there and done that" with marriage already, so we are not in a hurry to jump into it again. Financially, her income + pension dwarf mine, but my net worth is higher (for now) because I live cheaper.
🤔

There is a lot of ground to cover between now and then and we'll tread lightly until the time comes IF and WHEN an offer presents itself to her.

Many thanks for the opinions, admonitions and good, sincere advice from all of you!!

Last edited by JK 23112; 07-03-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Billy346
CF Senior Member

Liked 366 Times in 207 Posts

Man....I think the bigger question here is "to marry or not to marry". I'll leave that one up to you.

As far as the car goes, I would sell it here then go over there and buy or lease a nice BMW for the time you are in Germany. Then, when you come back here, buy another Corvette! That's just me though.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM
4thC4at60
CF Senior Member

Liked 618 Times in 303 Posts

A fellow Navy retiree took his '15 Stingray to Europe year before last.... shipped the car from East Coast to Antwerp - cost about $1,000 one way.

He drove all over Europe during the year he was gone, making his "base" in Lucca, Italy, for that year. Shipped the car home, it's now living happily in Prescott, Arizona.... I almost shipped my C7 over to spend several months with him but health matters precluded that happening.

I still have not ruled out shipping my car over in September for three months...

I've lived and worked in Europe off and on since 1981.

Retired Chief Petty Officer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Stingray -- Take To Germany??

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: