Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by dash7510
I was stationed over in Germany from 2008 to 2011. Other than clean them real good, we didn't have to do anything special to either of our Hyundai SUVs. The Air Force shipped one over and we paid for the other. As mentioned in an earlier post, we had to get our license, and the cars had to pass a safety/emissions inspection. I could only get the Hyundai up to 110 MPH before it got floaty. I would love to have had my corvette on those autobahns.
You paid to ship a Hyundai SUV to Germany?

Last edited by Steve_R; 06-28-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:13 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Here is the link for shipping a vehicle overseas. You normally take it to a Navy port base to ship. I had to take mine to Norfolk, VA. I don't leave ANYTHING in the vehicle. It will sit on a ship for weeks, which gives the navy guys plenty of time to steal anything they can remove. They stole my Hurst shifter T-Handle and other things from mine. When I went to Guam, I found out the locals would pay 3-5 times the going rate for American muscle. The military guys could buy Japanese cars for almost 50% off that they would ship back.

https://www.military.com/money/pcs-d...-overseas.html

Last edited by ByRiver; 06-28-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

^^^How long ago was this? Shipped many overseas through DoD and all were commercial. Either container or roll-on roll-off. Never took mine to a Navy base either, there are many off base processing centers throughout the US.

There once was a USN “space available” free service if you could stand the long wait and/or damage but wouldn’t recommend it.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:52 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
^^^How long ago was this? Shipped many overseas through DoD and all were commercial. Either container or roll-on roll-off. Never took mine to a Navy base either, there are many off base processing centers throughout the US.

There once was a USN “space available” free service if you could stand the long wait and/or damage but wouldn’t recommend it.
I shipped my vehicle in 1983. I took it to the Norfolk Base, and it came back through New Orleans. My assumption was that it was shipped on a military boat because that was where I had to take it. I never actually saw the ship. The link I just posted lists the port locations. I saw a Norfolk on the list.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Yeah, that checks...its all commercial now. The Norfolk location is actually off base in Chesapeake.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:48 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I served overseas and would definitely take the Corvette if I could. Only challenge is in urban areas roads are a bit tighter and a bit more difficult to park and navigate. If you’re not careful you can lose a mirror. Also a lot of Europeans do not think anything of love tapping your doors and bumpers in parking lots. It’s much more crowded so finding a ssecluded parking spot is not typically possible.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It sounds like your car is registered as American over there if you have base priveledges working for the govt. If it is I believe they went to a German inspection now but all US spec things are allowed. Germans are getting strict on tires so no driving in snow for you there unless you have pure winter tires. A/S even wont be allowed soon.

Driving is safer there as Germans are trained great and license is valuable to them. Very predictable drivers. Parts would be tougher to get but doable. Insurance can be high.

Selling to a German is not much profit since they have to pay VAT, import tax and convert glass and lights.

Would I bring my Vette? Heck yes. Be aware that at 2 meters wide the Vette is very wide over there. Just drive it if you do go. You may not even have a garage. Learn the rules and follow them. Get used to using the mirror as there is ALWAYS someone faster.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Well, I might have dodge the bullet a bit - as one of the two available positions has been filled. That one was in Stuttgart and the other was in Kaiserslautern (closer to the French border). It will be at least until the end of the year before Uncle Sam does the whole selection process and the job would not have a start date until at least April or May of 2019. After getting more information from her, I found out that the "US-spec" car is okay over there, so long as it passes a safety & emissions inspection. We would not have to alter the lights, mirrors, etc., etc.; but a German citizen buying it used from me would likely have to make some modifications before HE could own it.

I have clear title to the Corvette, so that is not an issue. I have USAA for insurance (as I am a former Army Reserve officer) and so does my girlfriend as a retired lieutenant colonel. We would probably have a nice home with a 2-car garage as part of her 'perk' with the job (she's a GS-14). Uncle Sam provides the housing, which would save a lot of ducats every month.

The 'Vette would not be my daily driver, of course, and both of us would likely buy a "beater" to drive around over there. I lived there as a kid and have been back twice to visit. The Germans really do know how to drive and they drive schnell - fast. The only bad thing is that they like to go 90 mph in the fog!

We are not love-struck kids. Both of us are 53 and our kids are pretty much grown. My son is 19 and lives on is own. She has two daughters, one 19 and one 16. None of our kids would be there with us unless they were visiting. We would absolutely be married before going over there - of course.

Great comments from all of you folks -- we kicked the can down the road just a bit. Yaay!
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

I know you were not considering this but back in the 90s at least you couldn't order s Vette thru AAFES over there do if you want one there you should bring it. If you plan on bringing a US spec car make sure you owned it for 6 months or be prepared to pay sales tax when you register it.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I know you were not considering this but back in the 90s at least you couldn't order s Vette thru AAFES over there do if you want one there you should bring it. If you plan on bringing a US spec car make sure you owned it for 6 months or be prepared to pay sales tax when you register it.

I bought it on February 1st, 2017 -- so I am already well past the 6-month interval. What I still wonder about is whether a German citizen buying the car from me (say 2 or 3 years down the road) would have to pay any special taxes, duties or fees on the purchase......since I already would have "imported" the car beforehand. I also am not sure if he would have to make changes to the lights, mirrors, etc., etc. to register it himself.

Anyway, we don't need to worry about it for awhile now - at least until the early part of 2019. Whew!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by JK 23112
I bought it on February 1st, 2017 -- so I am already well past the 6-month interval. What I still wonder about is whether a German citizen buying the car from me (say 2 or 3 years down the road) would have to pay any special taxes, duties or fees on the purchase......since I already would have "imported" the car beforehand. I also am not sure if he would have to make changes to the lights, mirrors, etc., etc. to register it himself.

Anyway, we don't need to worry about it for awhile now - at least until the early part of 2019. Whew!
With the military the car is never considered imported. Which is why you don't pay German taxes and registration fees on it. German would have to pay taxes and convert it. Generally around 30-35%. In the end you would make the same profit with an American since I believe they cant be bought new over there. NAV system would need a Europe disc to work and few radio stations would work. Not sure about cell phones since they were not around when I left. We used to get a 400 liter fast allowance also. They were usually around California prices for us. German prices are around $8 a gallon. Oil is 4x as much off base.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You paid to ship a Hyundai SUV to Germany?
Otherwise he might have gotten stuck in an Audi or BMW.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:53 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime ... but a good job is hard to find and might be impossible after you get back.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:08 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't forget to check out car insurance !!! You are going to be surprised how expensive it is compared to USA prices !!! Good luck !!! Also check out umbrella insurance policies !!! Wayne
Old 07-01-2018, 12:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by wgood
Don't forget to check out car insurance !!! You are going to be surprised how expensive it is compared to USA prices !!! Good luck !!! Also check out umbrella insurance policies !!! Wayne
i agree, although USAA had the best rates over there. Still my new 96 TA was about $250 a month back then. I was 28 but still very high. My base was also in the middle of no where.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I guess the big question should be does she care enough about you to marry you after knowing you for such a short time period? Even so, you only state you want to take your Vette and don't really say what she has or may want to take. Heck she could have a mini van and decide she wants to let the government pay to ship that over. Now this is the harsh part. It doesn't sound like you have a lot to offer in this deal. Quit your job; what are you going to do in Germany for income, have you even researched it? You say that you think the relationship may fall apart if you don't go.....ha, if you think that. Let me tell you, it will fall apart. The other thing is this. She hasn't gotten the job or accepted, so I guess your entire post is a what-if scenario. Sorry for sounding so harsh...but after spending over 30 years in the military, you can darn well believe that if I was looking for someone to marry, that person better be bringing "something worthwhile" to the table.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:38 AM
karmatourer
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by JK 23112
I am still a few months out from even finding out if she got the job - but since it is a possibility, I figured I might try to get some information about such a thing.

Thank you for the replies!
Is the car titled in her name? If not,just shipping a car over for someone not on orders or assuming a position may be an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Stingray -- Take To Germany??

Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 AM
karmatourer
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Going even farther back,in the early '70s,you could buy a Porsche through AFEES. A friend bought a 914 when we were stationed on Okinawa for delivery stateside. (And keep your "914 isn't a Porsche" comments to yourself).

Last edited by karmatourer; 07-02-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

As a civilian employee of the DoD, your girlfriend (and you if legally her spouse) will fall under the German Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). Requirements to operate an American spec car in Germany are pretty minimal, DoD issued driver's license, insurance, etc. See http://www.militaryinstallations.dod...180.0.0.0.0,34 for more detail.

I can't help with the potential sale at the end of her tour, but suspect a little Google searching can help find the answers you seek. Wish I could get another opportunity for a tour in Europe and take my Vette!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Spent several years in Landstuhl. I would definitely take it but be advised GM/Chevy pulled out of Europe so warranty issues could be problematic. Cruising the Autobahn at triple digit speeds and carving the back roads in Europe is an experience you won't forget. Do it!

Quick Reply: 2017 Stingray -- Take To Germany??