Sponsored by:

Is GM getting rid of Z51s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
In other words Skid Row Joe is right. It is going away.
Yup.....

pattyboy is her usual pouting self.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Anyone fortuitous enough to have bought a Z51 Stingray is in the cat bird's seat. They're the best thing GM has done for the C7 run. Love those Zs!
The following users liked this post:
Ledeof (08-06-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
No, he was wrong that it needs to go away, as it was (and still is) a very popular color on here. For the 2018 model year it outsold Long Beach Red, yellow and silver, so it wasn't low popularity that killed it. Admiral Blue is actually extremely close in color to LeMans Blue, a color that was also very popular and certainly wasn't a "one and done" color. Joe arrogantly thinks that his opinion is the only one that matters on this forum, as evidenced by his constant barrage of insane posts. He's a complete knucklehead.
I see no good reason to continually rag on Joe, which you love to do. Give it up already. Your continuing bad mouthing reflects on your character, not his. In fact, that sort of behavior is against T&C. Color is subjective. Joe said it should go and it is going. He's right. End of story. Frankly, GM's color choices don't seem logical to me. They don't seem logical in terms of their longevity. They don't seem logical in view of their popularity, and they don't seem logical in terms of the actual color differences, which seem hardly worth a change at all.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:26 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

^^^ I suspect that these color changes and additions late in the C7 production is to give the illusion of keeping the model fresh in an otherwise lackluster push to the end... ZR1 notwithstanding.
mschuyler (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Read it and weep, sweetie; "one and quickly done, baby!"
Technically, it's three and done.

(i.e. three model years, 2017 - 2019)

Elkhart Blue takes it from bad to worse! !
This from the guy who can't pick a color, cops out and gets plain white.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I see no good reason to continually rag on Joe, which you love to do. Give it up already. Your continuing bad mouthing reflects on your character, not his. In fact, that sort of behavior is against T&C. Color is subjective. Joe said it should go and it is going. He's right. End of story.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

Elkhart Lake Blue is the new color. In this photo is a Laguna Blue car and a panel of Elkhart Lake Blue.
Ledeof (08-06-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,693 Likes on 5,594 Posts

I see no good reason to continually rag on Joe, which you love to do. Give it up already. Your continuing bad mouthing reflects on your character, not his. In fact, that sort of behavior is against T&C. Color is subjective. Joe said it should go and it is going. He's right. End of story. Frankly, GM's color choices don't seem logical to me. They don't seem logical in terms of their longevity. They don't seem logical in view of their popularity, and they don't seem logical in terms of the actual color differences, which seem hardly worth a change at all.
I don't believe it's Patman's character that needs to be brought into question here as he's a very positive, productive and enthusiastic member of both Corvette Forums and the C7 community in general. He's always trying to help those in need and presents interesting and informative posts and threads, which is totally opposite of Skid Row Joe's behavior.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed it's not just Patman and I who are fed up with SRJ's sarcasm, condescending posts, insults, negativity and misinformation but countless other members as well as demonstrated in the "Better sports car than the Grand Sport for less than $100K" thread.
Don't get me wrong as I'm all for opposing views and opinions as we all learn from them, however it's damaging to the community when someone's main purpose seems to be disruption and regularly presenting false information such as recommend new C7 owners not use 93 octane, not follow GM oil change intervals, just as a couple examples.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-01-2018 at 08:48 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
ExRedRacer (07-02-2018), Foosh (07-05-2018), Patman (07-01-2018), ricks327 (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by wrecker3
Elkhart Lake Blue is the new color. In this photo is a Laguna Blue car and a panel of Elkhart Lake Blue.
WoW, that's pretty close.
Ledeof (08-06-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Admiral Blue !

Ledeof (08-06-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I don't believe it's Patman's character that needs to be brought into question here as he's a very positive, productive and enthusiastic member of both Corvette Forums and the C7 community in general. He's always trying to help those in need and presents interesting and informative posts and threads, which is totally opposite of Skid Row Joe's behavior.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed it's not just Patman and I who are fed up with SRJ's sarcasm, condescending posts, insults, negativity and misinformation but countless other members as well as demonstrated in the "Better sports car than the Grand Sport for less than $100K" thread.
Don't get me wrong as I'm all for opposing views and opinions as we all learn from them, however it's damaging to the community when someone's main purpose seems to be disruption and regularly presenting false information such as recommend new C7 owners not use 93 octane, not follow GM oil change intervals, just as a couple examples.
Thank you very much Kevin! I've been a member of this forum for 17 years now, and anyone who has seen my postings over the years knows I'm generally not the type to cause trouble or seek out fights. (I have never been banned once!) I prefer to help others with information that I've learned and to ask questions about things I'm curious about, and to generally interact with others that have the same love of Corvettes that I do. My big problem with SRJ is that he is constantly looking to battle with others, and as mentioned his advice to others is just downright dangerous. Encouraging people to run 87 octane and to run 25,000 mile oil changes are not only foolish ideas but that long of an oil change interval will certainly void your warranty.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:22 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 PM
Volfan55
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Read it and weep, sweetie; "one and quickly done, baby!"

Elkhart Blue takes it from bad to worse! !
Admiral Blue was first produced May 2016 not one and done !
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

My local dealer has six GS and two Z06's, but they are all automatics. Not sure if auto's sell better, or if all the manual's sold and no one wants an automatic.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByRiver
My local dealer has six GS and two Z06's, but they are all automatics. Not sure if auto's sell better, or if all the manual's sold and no one wants an automatic.
It's difficult to find manuals on dealers lots regardless of make of vehicle as dealers typically don't order them for inventory as they're too hard to sell. According to an article in US News and World Report
only 18% of american drivers can operate a manual trans so the markets for such are quite small. If you want a manual C7 you may try broadening your search.
I've been looking for a new Toyota Tacoma to retire my 1996 DD with 410,000 miles however not having any success finding one with manual trans that has the other equipment I want.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's difficult to find manuals on dealers lots regardless of make of vehicle as dealers typically don't order them for inventory as they're too hard to sell. According to an article in US News and World Report
only 18% of american drivers can operate a manual trans so the markets for such are quite small. If you want a manual C7 you may try broadening your search.
I've been looking for a new Toyota Tacoma to retire my 1996 DD with 410,000 miles however not having any success finding one with manual trans that has the other equipment I want.
We bought a Ford Fiesta with a 5-Speed manual as a commuter vehicle for my wife. It was the Platinum trim model. It sucks you can't even order an F-150 with a stick unless it is a stripped down base model. Dealers have more inventory than what is listed on their website, so I end up having to visit each one. The closest dealer only shows four Corvettes, but there has been 8-10 vehicles on the lot when I drive past on the interstate. And they don't list the ones on the showroom floor at all. If someone wants a Stingray, you would never know they have a couple in stock if you go by their inventory search. I didn't look to see if they were Z51's.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:30 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Anyone fortuitous enough to have bought a Z51 Stingray is in the cat bird's seat. They're the best thing GM has done for the C7 run. Love those Zs!
I never really called my Z51 a "Z," as I considered a "Z" to refer to the Z06.

Maybe I should get a Z51 badge on my car!

Get notified of new replies

To Is GM getting rid of Z51s?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
No, he was wrong that it needs to go away, as it was (and still is) a very popular color on here. For the 2018 model year it outsold Long Beach Red, yellow and silver, so it wasn't low popularity that killed it. Admiral Blue is actually extremely close in color to LeMans Blue, a color that was also very popular and certainly wasn't a "one and done" color. Joe arrogantly thinks that his opinion is the only one that matters on this forum, as evidenced by his constant barrage of insane posts. He's a complete knucklehead.
I would advocate for the Laguna Blue over the Admiral Blue. In any case, the reason C6 LeMans blue was so popular was because the blue paint had flakes in it which REALLY brought out the Lemans blue color in the sun. Admiral blue is a nice color, but both Laguna and Admiral blue are flat paint with no flakes in it which mutes the color. I never understood why they stopped adding flakes in the paint.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 07-02-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Back on topic.

Despite the GS sucking up most of what might otherwise have been Z51 orders, there is no cost-savings reason for GM to stop offering it. Since the Z51 and GS powertrains are identical w/ dry sump, eDiff, etc., they can just as easily be assembled as a narrow body. It may account for a much smaller number of orders than pre-GS, but there are a number of folks like myself, who prefer it to the wide-body. I'm on my 2nd Z51 having traded my 14 for a new one delivered in February. They do have to be custom-ordered as the dealers don't seem to be ordering them.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-02-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:59 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

My personal bias is towards the Z51 unless I was going for a Z06, so I hope they keep it around. I don't track, and the choice is purely esthetics. Kind of interesting to see GM follow the lead of Porsche a little. I had a 911 C4S, which was the body and wheels of the Turbo and the engine of the standard 911. (Years ago Top Gear did a hilarious but slightly risqué description of the 911, 911 C4S, and 911 Turbo. Used to be on Youtube but was taken down . . .)

Last edited by JonMN; 07-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Is GM getting rid of Z51s?