Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:00 PM
karmatourer
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I disagree. Reports of "outstanding" MPG for a short stretch are virtually meaningless. Sure you can show me a photograph of 34.2 MPG on a 25 mile stretch. And I can show you a photograph of 50 mpg coming down a mountain pass with my foot off the gas. I've seen that silly gauge go to 90 mpg for brief periods. What does that prove? How can you extrapolate that short burst to anything meaningful? You want to try that trick with the EPA? I say those sorts of measurements are misleading and useless. Pointing to those numbers and claiming anything tangible is laughable.
What's laughable is your reaction to facts. It proves our cars get great gas mileage-you know it and everyone knows it but you refuse to accept facts. Nearly everyone gets 30+ on the highway at 70+ mph. Just accept it and move on. Tangible,not laughable.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by karmatourer
What's laughable is your reaction to facts. It proves our cars get great gas mileage-you know it and everyone knows it but you refuse to accept facts. Nearly everyone gets 30+ on the highway at 70+ mph. Just accept it and move on. Tangible,not laughable.

I agree. On a trip to Deadwood, SD, on one stretch of I-29 in Iowa, I got 35 MPG in my C6 Z06, as did the C7 A8 Z51 behind me, for approximately 30 miles at 74 MPH, When we entered South Dakota and the speed limit went to 80 MPH, we upped our speed to 84 MPH and my gas mileage dropped to 33 MPG.

On another trip to Utah and Colorado, 3,400 miles I(C6 Z06) averaged 29.2 MPG for the entire trip. Highspeed Interstate, visiting through 8 national parks, and in the mountains of southwest Colorado and northern New Mexico. 2015 C7 Z06 Convertible A8 averaged 24.0 MPG on that same trip.

Or the 970 miles 100% Interstate driving from Springfield, Mo to Niagara Falls where I averaged 32.2 MPG at 70-75 MPH.

On a 450 mile trip from Springfield, Missouri to Natchez, MS, I averaged 33.0 MPG for the entire 450 miles. Mostly 60-65 MPH but some mountain driving for the first 150 miles, as well as driving in traffic through small towns with red lights..

The C6's and C7's get great gas mileage on road trips.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-02-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:28 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

This is nonsensical. The whole idea is completely absurd. The only MPG that matters is total miles divided by gallons used. You CANNOT travel at 70 mph indefinitely. If what you say is true then I can come down a mountain pass and claim I get 100 mpg! Hurrah! Look at me! I get 100 mpg! Too bad about you! Such a measurement makes. no. sense. It is completely delusional. If you want to talk about gas mileage, tell me what it was on a road trip from the time you left your garage until the time you drove back in. On my last road trip I drove 3500 miles and got 29.2 MPG. That's a realistic summary of my gas mileage. Using that data I can accurately project how much gas I will need the next time I go 3500 miles. Saying I got 40 mpg on a 50 mile stretch is irrelevant. That's cherry picking your statistics and ignoring the vast majority of your trip. That kind of statistic does NOT give me accurate information from which to make predictions. That's why people mistrust statistics. Leaving out the vast majority of the data to make a nonsensical claim is cheating. When someone asks "What kind of mileage do you get?" (a question I get all the time) do you seriously think a response of, "I get 50 mpg on short downhill stretches" is a relevant answer? Is that what the guy is asking? Of course not. He's asking about your overall mileage, not what you get downhill with a tailwind. And 29 mpg is pretty damned descent for a V8. If you want to delude yourself into thinking you get 40 mpg because the gauge shows that for small stretches, be my guest, but you lack any credibility in providing an accurate answer to anyone who is asking and expecting a straight answer.

Last edited by mschuyler; 07-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Lifetime MPG: 17
At what average MPH?
Without average speed, MPG doesn't mean much.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Default X 2

This is nonsensical.
I'm with Mike. When you read some of the BS that some spew about cumulative mpg, you're going to need hip-waders their BS, gets so deep.

Especially that fruitcake from Canada that claims that his Stingray averages over "40" mpg! ​​​​​​​Man the lifeboats when that fruitcake starts BSing!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

10% of the mpg meter on the C7 is pure fantasy - but don't let that stop you guys from the 40+ mpg fairy tales........
Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'm with Mike. When you read some of the BS that some spew about cumulative mpg, you're going to need hip-waders their BS, gets so deep.

Especially that fruitcake from Canada that claims that his Stingray averages over "40" mpg! ​​​​​​​Man the lifeboats when that fruitcake starts BSing!
You really don't read well do you skid mark? I NEVER said I average over 40 MPG but you keep spewing out that BS time and time again. I posted my best average over a 31 mile stretch, which is 43.1 MPG and that's a fact. I have also posted my best average over 62 miles which is 37.9 and my best average over 404 miles which is 28.5 (and I know that on my first all day highway trip I can get that number higher, as I haven't done 404 miles in one day yet, so that average was over several days) I can easily average over 25 MPG over longer periods of time, just like I did on my last oil change interval of 2000 miles where my average was 25.3 MPG (with an average MPH of 39). But since you run the incorrect octane fuel in your engine, you'll likely never see that kind of MPG ever, you'll be lucky if your engine doesn't blow up, what with you running 87 octane and not wanting to change your oil on time.

By the way, nobody on this forum spews out more absolute bullshit than you Joe, that's a fact.

karmatourer (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM
rodney123456
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

i run mine in sport mode all the time so that mpg is not right on the meter?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
At what average MPH?
Without average speed, MPG doesn't mean much.
Sure, it does! It means high MPG isn't all that important to me.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i just did an actual [actual miles driven / gallons to fill] mpg all in town test last tank .ambient temps between 90-110. highest legal speed 45. i got 21.2 mpg.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:01 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Most of my driving in in 7th (MT) at 72 MPH on relatively flat roads, with some rolling hills, and I get 20-22 MPG. I still don't understand how people are getting high-20s or low-30s unless they drive at 55 on flat roads.
taz2016 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 PM
stack22
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

This is nonsensical. The whole idea is completely absurd. The only MPG that matters is total miles divided by gallons used. You CANNOT travel at 70 mph indefinitely. If what you say is true then I can come down a mountain pass and claim I get 100 mpg! Hurrah! Look at me! I get 100 mpg! Too bad about you! Such a measurement makes. no. sense. It is completely delusional. If you want to talk about gas mileage, tell me what it was on a road trip from the time you left your garage until the time you drove back in. On my last road trip I drove 3500 miles and got 29.2 MPG. That's a realistic summary of my gas mileage. Using that data I can accurately project how much gas I will need the next time I go 3500 miles. Saying I got 40 mpg on a 50 mile stretch is irrelevant. That's cherry picking your statistics and ignoring the vast majority of your trip. That kind of statistic does NOT give me accurate information from which to make predictions. That's why people mistrust statistics. Leaving out the vast majority of the data to make a nonsensical claim is cheating. When someone asks "What kind of mileage do you get?" (a question I get all the time) do you seriously think a response of, "I get 50 mpg on short downhill stretches" is a relevant answer? Is that what the guy is asking? Of course not. He's asking about your overall mileage, not what you get downhill with a tailwind. And 29 mpg is pretty damned descent for a V8. If you want to delude yourself into thinking you get 40 mpg because the gauge shows that for small stretches, be my guest, but you lack any credibility in providing an accurate answer to anyone who is asking and expecting a straight answer.

you misunderstood me brother. I said I got 18.9mpg on the last 50 miles driven. That 50 miles was a weekends worth of driving, running errands, getting lunch, spread out over multiple separate trips. ✌🏻
Old 07-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Im getting around 30 to 32 MPG...and that's driving my Z51 exactly the way I want too. I dont race her or ever go to a track, I dont beat on her, but I just have fun. There is no one that can argue a car with 460 HP, that goes 0 to 60 in around 4 seconds, and gets even CLOSE to 30 MPG isn't amazing... My Lexus doesn't even get 30 MPG... That is why the Vette (to me) is such a bang for the buck. Outstanding gas mileage, gorgeous looks (and I mean ALL years of Vette's), super fast, handles amazingly...and best of all...its AMERICAN!!
I gather the 30-32 mpgs is strictly highway miles.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM
BLACKCREEK
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
One of the joys of discussing the C7 is answering the question, "Yeah, that's great, but what kind of mileage does it get?" and the stunned looks in response to the answer...
Maybe he should of asked " What is your cost per mile?" That of course you won't know until you sell and add up all your gas,maintenance receipts, taxes and registration (depends on state), and the big one ... depreciation. If you are the type to buy new and only drive 5000 miles a year the MPG rating won't even be a blip on the radar screen. I copy all my receipts onto flash paper and keep them in a 55 gallon steel drum. If the wife asks to see receipts in goes the match.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I disagree. Reports of "outstanding" MPG for a short stretch are virtually meaningless. Sure you can show me a photograph of 34.2 MPG on a 25 mile stretch. And I can show you a photograph of 50 mpg coming down a mountain pass with my foot off the gas. I've seen that silly gauge go to 90 mpg for brief periods. What does that prove? How can you extrapolate that short burst to anything meaningful? You want to try that trick with the EPA? I say those sorts of measurements are misleading and useless. Pointing to those numbers and claiming anything tangible is laughable.

I went out and pulled up the info on my C7 (delivered to me March 2014). I've averaged 14.02 MPG for the life of the car.
Freakin' GM....I'm gonna ask for Lemon Law relief!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

If you have a C7, go into the "info" screen and scroll down and you can see the total # of gallons you've used since the car went in service. Divide that by the current mileage on your car and there's your TRUE MPG for the life of the car. I'm with mschuyler….showy HIGHWAY MPG is just ONE metric, not the ONLY one....in town/highway/commute is how the vast majority of Corvettes spend their lives, NOT on highways alone.

Last edited by jimmyb; 07-03-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
If you have a C7, go into the "info" screen and scroll down and you can see the total # of gallons you've used since the car went in service. Divide that by the current mileage on your car and there's your TRUE MPG for the life of the car. I'm with mschuyler….showy HIGHWAY MPG is just ONE metric, not the ONLY one....in town/highway/commute is how the vast majority of Corvettes spend their lives, NOT on highways alone.
I still think those averages are valid, most certainly the highest one that I'm posting below, which is very impressive to me since I haven't driven 404 miles all in one highway trip yet, so that average was over a few days of driving. I'm certain that if I took an all day highway trip that I would be able to raise that average considerably more. No matter how you look at it, these cars are incredibly good on fuel considering how much power they've got. Nobody can disagree with that.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas mileage

Old 07-03-2018, 01:03 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Average speed 80 mph, includes gas stops & a few redlights.

vbdenny (08-12-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:11 PM
thocar
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gas milage - my new C7 is lying.

Here in Germany we count the consumed liters per 100 kilomter

C7 says for example only 10,5 liter per 100 km - but when I have to refill 11,3 Liter per 100km at the gas station - my car is definitly lying, or wants me to be a more lucky C7 driver.

And your consume? Do you believe the C7 or do you calculate?

Last edited by thocar; 07-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:49 PM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I keep looking for "Green Car Only" parking just for a photo op.

I already had my photo op!!! When I pulled out a Prius was staring me down.

Last edited by USA1-; 07-03-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Gas mileage