C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic ride? Performance exhaust?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Guy Zebrick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic ride? Performance exhaust?

Hello all - l'm in the market for a true Grand Touring car. I've a company car I use as a daily driver, but I'm thinking ahead when I retire/quit my current position so it's not too early to start my quest. I'm a miata guy (I'm on miata #5) and have spent about 10 years driving track days, and have had stock, modified, turbo and supercharged cars. All fun, but I'm hanging up my helmet now and no longer need nor desire a track toy. I've been there and got all the t-shirts!

I'm looking to go grand touring. A comfortable car with more performance that I'd ever need, a nice, quiet highway ride for those long road trips in my future, and most important to me, an open sky. I don't want a rag-top though; I'd like a removable/retractable hard top - and that desire really narrows my car options down to 2 or 3 makes, depending on the year (Mazda MX-5 RF, Corvette coupe, Mercedes SLK... and a few others). The cool Mazda Miata MX-5 RF is just too small of a wheel base and too noisy to be a nice long distance grand touring car. The SLK with the retractable hard top is going out of production, and JAGs only come withsolid hard tops or rag tops. So the Stingray looks like my perfect GT. I really, really want to 'pop the top' when I can but don't want the added road noise of a convertible rag top. (I also think the C7 coupe looks great!). Here's what I think I want:

Stingray Coupe
2LT package (really want the vented seats)
Automatic (I know, but it's a GT, not a miata.. and I'll keep my manual Miata regardless of what GT I'll buy)
Magnetic Ride for COMFORT reasons only
(Shadow grey color / tan interior if you're keeping score)

So here's my question... I dropped by a local dealer and told the corvette salesman what I might be interested in, and he said "Don't get the mag ride. They break all the time! I won't bring them into the dealership unless they're special ordered"... he also added "Get the performance exhaust. I get that option on EVERY corvette I order. It won't sound like a corvette without it"! - Is this good advice?

I thought the mag-ride would be a good option since I'm leaning towards a comfort cruiser - Does it really break all the time? Also, is it really that much more comfortable than stock shocks???

I don't really need to loud exhaust (been there / done that) - Is the stock really that bad? Is the adjustable exhaust quieter than stock when dialed in?? ( I know it's louder if turned to 11 )

So that's it - I'm just window shopping for now, but honestly if my perfect 'vette showed up, especially a low-mileage gently used one, I want to be able to pounce on it before it's gone. I'd like feedback on both the exhaust and mag-ride options.

Thanks!

Last edited by Guy Zebrick; 07-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:40 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Based on your write-up, sounds like you got it figured out for the most part. The 2LT Stingray should be the perfect fit for you. As far as mag-ride and performance exhaust - here are my thoughts. I don't hear about many if any issues with mag-ride, so I would not be concerned about that. The mag-ride does give you the option to dial in the suspension from touring to track. There is a new software upgrade that just came out that is supposed to help make the ride smoother in touring mode, but I don't know how that compares with the stock suspension. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get mag-ride, but if it came on the car, great. Definitely look at getting the upgrade though.

The performance exhaust also gives you the option to dial it in with the driving modes to control WHEN it opens. It's pretty quiet in touring mode, but if you get on it hard, it will sound really good. Me? I pulled fuse #42 so it's open all the time, so you know where I stand on that one. So again, based on what you have described as your needs, I would not go out of my way to get the NPP exhaust, but if it comes on car, great.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

You'll never be happy with the hatchback Corvette's removable roof, as in thinking you're in a convertible. You're not. The only way to get an open air convertible Corvette, is to buy one.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Had a C5 Coupe with removable roof.Dealt with the on,off.Store the top with ya.
Then purchased a C7 GS Vert.Wife and i agree why would you not purchase a vert?
The top is well made and a Ton Quieter,Top Up obviously in the cabin.
With the push of a button from Vert to Coupe.Coupes can't do that.
Big Decision.Drive Both.Then drive wide body to stingray.
That's Another Decision
The following users liked this post:
bdf (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Zebrick
Hello all - l'm in the market for a true Grand Touring car. I've a company car I use as a daily driver, but I'm thinking ahead when I retire/quit my current position so it's not too early to start my quest. I'm a miata guy (I'm on miata #5) and have spent about 10 years driving track days, and have had stock, modified, turbo and supercharged cars. All fun, but I'm hanging up my helmet now and no longer need nor desire a track toy. I've been there and got all the t-shirts!

I'm looking to go grand touring. A comfortable car with more performance that I'd ever need, a nice, quiet highway ride for those long road trips in my future, and most important to me, an open sky. I don't want a rag-top though; I'd like a removable/retractable hard top - and that desire really narrows my car options down to 2 or 3 makes, depending on the year (Mazda MX-5 RF, Corvette coupe, Mercedes SLK... and a few others). The cool Mazda Miata MX-5 RF is just too small of a wheel base and too noisy to be a nice long distance grand touring car. The SLK with the retractable hard top is going out of production, and JAGs only come withsolid hard tops or rag tops. So the Stingray looks like my perfect GT. I really, really want to 'pop the top' when I can but don't want the added road noise of a convertible rag top. (I also think the C7 coupe looks great!). Here's what I think I want:

Stingray Coupe
Automatic (I know, but it's a GT, not a miata.. and I'll keep my manual Miata regardless of what GT I'll buy)

So here's my question... I dropped by a local dealer and told the corvette salesman what I might be interested in, and he said "Don't get the mag ride. They break all the time! I won't bring them into the dealership unless they're special ordered"... he also added "Get the performance exhaust. I get that option on EVERY corvette I order. It won't sound like a corvette without it"! - Is this good advice?

I thought the mag-ride would be a good option since I'm leaning towards a comfort cruiser - Does it really break all the time? Also, is it really that much more comfortable than stock shocks???

I don't really need to loud exhaust (been there / done that) - Is the stock really that bad? Is the adjustable exhaust quieter than stock when dialed in?? ( I know it's louder if turned to 11 )

So that's it - I'm just window shopping for now, but honestly if my perfect 'vette showed up, especially a low-mileage gently used one, I want to be able to pounce on it before it's gone. I'd like feedback on both the exhaust and mag-ride options.

Thanks!
A few observations based on what you wrote.
2LT - Yes. Get it. Vented seats AND Heads Up Display are a must...but the heated seats extend top off season nicely too (also in 2LT)
Magnetic Ride - Absolutely Get it. You will be driving it, not the dealer. I've had Magnetic Ride Corvettes all the way back to C5's and only ONE without...never again. It is more of a performance thing, but the side effect is comfort. It IS more comfortable, as I have driven the identical car, for 5 hours on the same road (roundtrip) one with and one without Mag ride and the difference is MONUMENTAL, especially if you intend to go "touring" in it. I've never had one break or have issues, and even if you do...its under warranty.
NPP Exhaust - Get it. You can make it quiet permanently, but it is fun to open it up with the different drive modes. If nothing else, it will help resale value as I would never look at a vette without NPP exhaust.
Transmission - IF you know how to drive stick, for the love of Pete, get a manual. I have always driven manual and tried the A8 for 3 years, and just went back to a Manual transmission and it is sooooooo much fun in this car. The only thing that should hold you back is IF you didn't know how to drive stick. If you do, DO NOT HESITATE to get the manual.
Interior - To each their own, but the gray looks blah. I had the Kahalari / Tan interior and with certain colors looks very rich and not as hot as the black interior...but you really can't go wrong with black. Gray interiors are rare, and there is a reason.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 07-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Guy Zebrick
6th Gear

I appreciate the feedback. Good to hear that the mag-ride doesn't have a reputation as a problem tech. I love me the sounds of an unleashed V8, so I understand the appeal of the active exhaust, but for GT cruising with my organic rev limiter (wife), we'll want to go for the quiet/comfort zone, so if I do opt for the performance exhaust it would be that in quiet mode, it's actually quieter than stock (and when I am in the mood for play, loud exhaust is fine with me - though I don't plan on tracking my GT car).

I've had convertibles for about 20 years, mostly Miatas, and though not fair to compare with a C7 vert, I have to believe the C7 coupe is much quieter at highway speeds than the C7 convertible version. I plan on driving both, but the 14 lb carbon-fiber targa top seems damn slick to me! - Plus I plan on keeping one miata as my go-to convertible when the mood arises.

Auto vs Manual. I'd never own an auto Miata with the current drivetrains. That car just cries out for rev-happy red-line shifting and it's extremely rewarding (don't knock the Miata unless you're driven on - it's a street-legal go-cart when configured correctly) - BUT - again, I'm looking for a Grand Touring machine not a track car or performance machine - something to enjoy mostly on the interstate and country roads, and mostly with the wife riding along. The C7 auto, from what I read, is fantastic. I've driven a C5 Z06 6-speed and wasn't used to the clutch. I'm sure I could get used to a C7 manual, but once again, if I feed the urge to row my own gears, I'll have the Miata manual to play with.

once again, thanks for the feedback. I'm not ready to order one new, but if I can decide what I really want, I can be prepared to jump on a used one if my dream GT pops up somewhere.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

That salesman is an idiot.
MRC yes, get it, goes bad my butt...
NPP yes, it sounds great.

transmission? I’ve got a manual, get what you want.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Here is my experience so far, I factory ordered mine the way I wanted it and because I was on a budget, I decided not to opt for magnetic ride or the performance exhaust and it turns out that 5200 miles later I'm still completely happy with that decision. The ride is very comfortable, yet I still think the handling is exceptional too. And the exhaust sounds nice to me at full throttle, similar to some of the exotic cars I've driven over the years, but when you're cruising on the highway it's quiet enough that you can comfortably carry on a conversation. You sound similar to me, I've had very loud cars in my past too and I now prefer something quieter most of the time. But I also don't think the basic exhaust system sounds wimpy at all, when I fire it up in my garage it gives out a nice bark at first that lets people know it's definitely a good ole American V8 in there.

I had mag ride on my C6, and the rear shocks failed around the 70k mark and there aren't a lot of people on here with that kind of mileage on their C7 just yet. And since you mentioned you wanted magnetic ride for comfort reasons only, I think you might find that you'll be more than satisfied with the basic suspension, and save yourself some cash as well. I haven't driven a magnetic ride equipped car but others on here have reported that a mag ride car set to it's softest setting is still just a little bit firmer than the base suspension without mag ride. I'm confident that if you drive a base car without mag ride you'll be pleasantly surprised at how it feels. I do think mag ride is a great feature though, especially for people that want to track their cars or ones that like to dial it up firmer from time to time. But based on your usage of having a nice comfortable highway cruiser, I think mag ride is something you should pass on.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Zebrick

Stingray Coupe

Thanks!
Buy what you want but make sure you get the performance exhaust. Worth every penny!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

If you want to add factory NPP after you get the car, you can't. There is no wiring or programming integration in the car for it.

If you want to add Mag Ride after you get the car, you can't due to the complexity of the system.

My 2017 has both and no regrets here.

Skid Row Joe (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You'll never be happy with the hatchback Corvette's removable roof, as in thinking you're in a convertible. You're not. The only way to get an open air convertible Corvette, is to buy one.
Yes!
Skid Row Joe (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

2LT is the Goldilocks trim IMO. And I would definitely get the performance exhaust unless you plan to change it later. What’s nice is you can make it quiet or louder. I did not opt for mag ride and I think it rides great.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 PM
tboy58
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an excellent thread! Very informative; thanks to all who contributed
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

I've had convertibles for about 20 years, mostly Miatas, and though not fair to compare with a C7 vert, I have to believe the C7 coupe is much quieter at highway speeds than the C7 convertible.[/QUOTE]

Then you'd be dead wrong.

​​​​​​​The convertibles are much, much quieter than the hatchbacks. What you keep calling a GT, is the hatchback C7. They're miserable in reverberation sound levels at ALL speeds. As the hatchback will beat you to death above 35 mph with the roof off. You oughta start believing what we convertible owners that have owned hatchbacks or t-top Corvettes are telling you.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c54u
If you want to add factory NPP after you get the car, you can't. There is no wiring or programming integration in the car for it.

If you want to add Mag Ride after you get the car, you can't due to the complexity of the system.

My 2017 has both and no regrets here.

That's exactly right. You'll never regret getting both.

The only regret I would never ever want is going cheap on the trim level. Do not under any circumstances buy a 1LT trim level. You'll always regret not buying a 2LT/3LT, trim level. I have the 3LT trim level, and I use EVERY single 3LT trim level option EVERY DAY.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Key to your decision is intended use as a GT car.

Vert is quieter as the noise stays in the trunk rather than bouncing off the rear glass and into your eardrums. However, it's pretty easy to add sound insulation and if you're using as a GT your soft side luggage will be your sound insulation.

According to Tadge (C7 cheif engineer) the smoothest suspension is the standard base Stingray. You can look up his comments here on Corvette Forum.

Exhaust? It's up to you. Standard exhaust is not quiet under acceleration but otherwise fairly quiet. Main reason to get the upgrade is for resale, I would say, as it is hugely popular. The dealer probably buys for that reason.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Guy Zebrick
6th Gear

I've had convertibles for about 20 years, mostly Miatas, and though not fair to compare with a C7 vert, I have to believe the C7 coupe is much quieter at highway speeds than the C7 convertible.

​​​​​​​The convertibles are much, much quieter than the hatchbacks. What you keep calling a GT, is the hatchback C7. They're miserable in reverberation sound levels at ALL speeds. As the hatchback will beat you to death above 35 mph with the roof off. You oughta start believing what we convertible owners that have owned hatchbacks or t-top Corvettes are telling you.[/QUOTE]

I should have been clearer in my comment. I was referring to the noise top UP, not top down. That is, the noise when cruising down the interstate at 80 mph on our way to spend our kid's inheritance! I've done 2,500 miles on I-40, and many many long road trips in convertibles to down and convertible top up. Great for mountain roads, coastal highways, midnight drives. Down the interstate in the middle of summer? Not so much, even with the top up..

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic ride? Performance exhaust?

Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

I've had convertibles for about 20 years, mostly Miatas, and though not fair to compare with a C7 vert, I have to believe the C7 coupe is much quieter at highway speeds than the C7 convertible.

​​​​​​​The convertibles are much, much quieter than the hatchbacks. What you keep calling a GT, is the hatchback C7. They're miserable in reverberation sound levels at ALL speeds. As the hatchback will beat you to death above 35 mph with the roof off. You oughta start believing what we convertible owners that have owned hatchbacks or t-top Corvettes are telling you.
To say a coupe with the targa off is miserable is an exaggeration. I've done my share of mileage top off in C6/C7 coupe and that statement is just plain false.

Anyways,
Many on here claim a vert with top is quieter than coupe with targa on due to extra padding.
Coupes have better "stuff" storage capacity, IMO.
Get what you like between the two.

I will say that a coupe with a transparent top is a pretty neat set up, especially at night with low light pollution. You can always purchase a liner if you feel it gets too hot.

2LT+ is the way to go for a true GT car.

Auto or manual, again, get what you like between the two. To note, Active Rev Match on the manuals is AWESOME, but useless for the streets/highways.

As for active exhaust, definitely get it. You can have a normal conversation when cruising and hear the car when you get on it at higher RPMs. I have headers with NPP and have no issues with exhaust drone when cruising. Can't even tell they are there. It's actually not loud enough (to me) when getting on it lol.

Mag selective ride: I don't think you'll miss out on it if you don't drive aggressively. For street/highway driving, ECO/Tour is pretty soft and floaty (for a sports car). For backroads with some bumps, SPORT is stiff, though not harsh. For the track, TRACK is pretty substantial, barely any body roll.
I have the mentioned software upgrade and you can definitely feel the difference between the three modes.
The reason why I say you won't miss out on mag ride is my experience from my C6 Grand Sport that did not have mag ride. The ride was comfortable (drove roundtrip from NY to FL + many other roadtrips) and never wore me out. Though when on track you could feel some body roll through tighter turns.

You definitely picked the best choice for a GT car. It just does SOOOO awesome in all aspects. Proper road manners and a beast on a road-course.
Good luck!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
To say a coupe with the targa off is miserable is an exaggeration. I've done my share of mileage top off in C6/C7 coupe and that statement is just plain false.

Anyways,
Many on here claim a vert with top is quieter than coupe with targa on due to extra padding.
Coupes have better "stuff" storage capacity, IMO.
Get what you like between the two.

I will say that a coupe with a transparent top is a pretty neat set up, especially at night with low light pollution. You can always purchase a liner if you feel it gets too hot.

2LT+ is the way to go for a true GT car.

Auto or manual, again, get what you like between the two. To note, Active Rev Match on the manuals is AWESOME, but useless for the streets/highways.

As for active exhaust, definitely get it. You can have a normal conversation when cruising and hear the car when you get on it at higher RPMs. I have headers with NPP and have no issues with exhaust drone when cruising. Can't even tell they are there. It's actually not loud enough (to me) when getting on it lol.

Mag selective ride: I don't think you'll miss out on it if you don't drive aggressively. For street/highway driving, ECO/Tour is pretty soft and floaty (for a sports car). For backroads with some bumps, SPORT is stiff, though not harsh. For the track, TRACK is pretty substantial, barely any body roll.
I have the mentioned software upgrade and you can definitely feel the difference between the three modes.
The reason why I say you won't miss out on mag ride is my experience from my C6 Grand Sport that did not have mag ride. The ride was comfortable (drove roundtrip from NY to FL + many other roadtrips) and never wore me out. Though when on track you could feel some body roll through tighter turns.

You definitely picked the best choice for a GT car. It just does SOOOO awesome in all aspects. Proper road manners and a beast on a road-course.
Good luck!
I've owned both. To say the wind won't beat you to death above 35-40 mph, is just plain false. Not an exaggeration.

The convertible IS quieter with the top Up. Here again, I have owned both and the hatchback IS miserably loud on reverberation sounds.

The guy knows nothing about the differences between the hatchback and convertible C7s. His reference point is Miata convertibles. Your hatchback with the missing roof piece is NOT a convertible. Between the constant loud interior noise while driving with the hatchback roof on, and the wind beating both he and his wife to death above 40 mph, yes, the hatchback is miserable. BTDT!!

Read some of the testimonials from CF7, there's no contest.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-02-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

That's exactly right. You'll never regret getting both.

The only regret I would never ever want is going cheap on the trim level. Do not under any circumstances buy a 1LT trim level. You'll always regret not buying a 2LT/3LT, trim level. I have the 3LT trim level, and I use EVERY single 3LT trim level option EVERY DAY.
Some people don't need the extra stuff and so why spend the extra money for things that don't matter to you? I have a 1LT and I don't for one second regret buying it. For me, it made the most sense and saved me money, so now I can afford to put 94 octane gas in my car and to get my oil changed on time.

I suggest that the OP sit down and look at all the options that come with the 2LT and 3LT, along with the stand alone options, and make a list of the things that he absolutely must have and the things he really doesn't find necessary. When I did that, I found out that I was more than happy to keep my options list low. And like I've said, I don't regret that at all, I would buy this exact same car again if I were ordering it as a 2019.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnetic ride? Performance exhaust?