Corvette C7 acceleration underwhelming?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,017 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Sorry man, that's where you lose me with Camaro. Corvette's don't have 4 or 6 cylinder motors (yet?!). They look cool in my rear view mirror.
Come race me in my ZL1 1LE... You'll see me in that rear view mirror just before I lap you.

Last edited by devnull; 07-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zap City (07-04-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

WTF?! That's pretty harsh. Nice welcome to the CF community.
“I floored the manual trans car and was underwhelmed.”

That was a first. It’s been over 24 hours since your last post. Guess you understand you don’t introduce yourself to a group of lovers by criticizing what they love and not have the facts to support your criticism.

Take a deep breath, read about what you “think” you drove then try again. Or as we say in my profession, “take two”...

Last edited by Silver C7; 07-02-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,945 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
He may as well have said, "Corvettes suck!" as an opening post. You come out swinging and wonder why people don't welcome you with open arms? Weird.
He posts "Corvette underwhelmed me" as your FIRST post, on a Corvette forum and he's wondering why he's getting flamed...ummm okay.

Im sure a Mustang Forum out there would accept him with no questions...they're totally used to folks being "underwhelmed"...LOL
Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Just like Billy Joel got bored with Christie Brinkley, any fast car doesn't seem as fast once you get used to it. I have a 640 HP ERA Cobra (2300 Lbs) that I've gotten used to and it doesn't feel nearly as fast to me as it did at first. I have a M7 GS and it seems pretty fast to me, but what I really enjoy is *all the things* it does well. Handle, brake, accelerate, cruise...
ptran00 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,187 Likes on 3,439 Posts

Simple, then buy a more powerful car... there is no shortage (at least compared to the base-model), or get something with a better power-to-weight ratio. Pure and simple. All the best to ya!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Ok, not to defend the OP, but I was shocked at how uneventful the Grand Sport’s acceleration felt on my test drive.

Until I peeked at the speedometer and realized I was doing triple digits. On surface streets.

the C7 doesn’t throw you against the seat because the car has zero squat upon acceleration. NONE. The sensation of speed isn’t as evident as in larger and heavier cars with softer suspension. But blink, and you’re in land in jail speed.

I’ve driven and ridden in Audi R8 and Nissan GTR, and they “felt” similar as in the car’s don’t seem THAT fast, but you look over at the car next to you and suddenly realize they’re several bus length behind you.
"sometimes "it's hard to know when test driving a New car.
And by new I mean a new Generation car.
Every new Generation is Usually more refined and performance can be a little deceiving until getting some seat time and adjusted to what it's actually doing.
Whenever I updated my vehicles to a new generation, it always felt like I wasn't as connected with it as the previous generation I just traded in.
Eventually I became accustom to what to expect of a new generation vehicle being more refined.
Trading in the C6 for the C7 was no different, and it took about a week to start to see how much better and faster the C7 was.
It's solid and composed considering the HP it has and yes, need to keep an eye on the speedometer because it's Always going faster than it feels.
As far as Acceleration being under whelming, I don't think so considering what 460 HP is and the way it's transmitted to the ground in the C7.
Have I become used to it, yes, but not to the point I take it for granted because every once in a while it reminds me to pay attention to what I'm doing.
From a very slow roll or dead stop, and Slamming the pedal down, I've never felt underwhelmed with the power

Now if the OP test drives a Z06 and still feels underwhelmed, he needs to get the ZR1, or maybe not

Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
Come race me in my ZL1 1LE... You'll see me in that rear view mirror just before I lap you.

AMS is just down the road from 'ya...or do you prefer a road course such as Road Atlanta? Either way, I've been on them both.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by YourFastLife
Now some context. My experience is somewhat limited.
Well.......you got ONE thing right.........
Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

AMS is just down the road from 'ya...or do you prefer a road course such as Road Atlanta? Either way, I've been on them both.
Your choice... I have too, sounds like a good outing! Lunch bet?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
Your choice... I have too, sounds like a good outing! Lunch bet?
Fogo de Chão, Buckhead. It's been a minute since I've been to the ATL. I know I can get on AMS at anytime, not sure about Road Atlanta. I'll PM 'ya.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Fogo de Chão, Buckhead. It's been a minute since I've been to the ATL. I know I can get on AMS at anytime, not sure about Road Atlanta. I'll PM 'ya.
Good choice! *Yeah man hit me up next time you're around and we will get a group going, and some Brazilian steak after. *NICE!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Guessing those have what, a 2.xx rear end gear? If so thats why.

I have a sbc that makes well over 550chp and with 4.11s feels violent...with even a 3.08 gear it would feel like a pig.
So to have a car that idles like a kitten make 500hp get over 25mpg and run a 12, no it wont feel violent but will still be fast.

Remember when the C5 came out, I test drove a vert 6 spd and thought, "how slow" but reached 100 pretty quick. Same thing
Tall gear, flat torque curve
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Try downshifting a gear or two.. 7th gear on the highway is a bit underwhelming. That's why it's got 2ed and 3ed...
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

While the C7 may not feel fast to some-try looking at the actual speedometer,not the digital one, when you accelerate and watch how fast the needle moves. This baby is fast unlike some other cars that have the throttle set to appear that they are faster than they actually are.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Here's the basic problem with people making a judgement with one test drive. I don't care what car you drive the main thing one needs to learn is WHEN do you floor it to fell what the car will really do. The other point is that the Corvette has built into it a power retardation software until you get up to proper temperature. This "know it all" just hops in and wonders why it wasn't as fast as his"Wunder Machines"!?! Bet you the test car only had a couple of miles on it as well. There's a reason GM wants you to take it easy for the first 500 miles and in reality most of these engines don't really come to life until they get some miles on them. But all this aside I can get in any car with an internal combustion engine and floor it in the wrong gear and the wrong time and the only thing I'd prove is I don't know what I'm doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Campbell:
2cnd Chance (07-03-2018), YourFastLife (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM
rickriada
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default My 2 bits....

I have a 2016 C7 Z51 A8 and a 2017 ZL1 A10 and both are great to drive. The ZL1 is far quicker than the C7 in my experiences to date though I don't feel that the ZL1 corners any worse than the C7. Of course, I've not tracked either car nor had either on curvy roads here in the Tampa area (kinda flat and straight roads around here) but as a DD, I'm fine to drive either. However, the ZL1 is usually my first choice to drive out of the garage since it is easier for me to get in and out of it due to my 6'3" "size" and as I said above, it is much quicker out of the gate than the C7. It is nice to have a choice though wrt choosing what to drive!

Originally Posted by YourFastLife
Fell in love with C7 and was looking at getting one. Possibly Z06. Finally got to drive a C7 but only the Grand Sport or base model without Z51 package. So in track mode, I floored the manual trans car and was underwhelmed. It moved fast but I thought it would be more violent considering the 500+ HP, track mode and tons of torque. Now, this car was no slouch for sure but acceleration was somewhat aggressive at most. I was not thrown back in the seat and pressed into the seat as I winded through the gears. Is this normal? Now, I had a 130LB passenger and most of my hard acceleration experience has been with no passengers, but how much can 130LBs matter in terms of the viceral feeling under hard acceleration?

Now some context. My experience is somewhat limited. Most of my experience with high performance vehicles is on the extreme side; Gallardo, Murcielago, 458 Ferrari, V10 M5, Replica Cobra with Roush 500HP engines, or on the lower side like 320HP NA flat 6 Porche, 300 HP G35, Base model Camaro from 2016.. So I don't know what a "heavy" 500HP RWD sport car is supposed to feel like. Never driven a comparable Mustang or Audi or anything between 3200 and 3500 LBs with near 500HP. So are you surprised that I was underwhelmed? Maybe I need to look up power to weight on all these cars and see where the C7 stacks up?

Also, forget about power. If I want the most nimble and fast Chevy for really technical tracks. A car that does the best for a bunch of fast and tight turns (not sweepers but winding country roads that might make many drivers nervous without the right cars). Which is the one to get? C7 or Camaro ZL1? Let's say you were going to be forced to race at incredible speeds around a winding mountain road were if you slide of the road you will fall thousands of feet to your death....which car would you drive? Stock Z06 or Stock ZL1? How about if you were going to drive at safer speeds but would have your girlfriend in the car who would dump you if you scare her too much...which would you drive? This means...which care FEELS the most stable in sharp fast turns even if it's not necessarily ACTUALLY more stable? Just because a car maybe giving you a LOT of feedback that your mind takes as instability, that does not mean the traction levels are any less. What you FEEL is not a scientific measure of traction levels. So:

Which one has traction and stability levels that are like being on rails?

Which one FEELS like it's on rails even if it's not?

Thanks in advance!

BTW...as if this was not tough enough already...I just checked out the ZR1....damn!! I feel like I need them both!

Also, if I was to create a dream car, it would be based on a Lotus car as for handling, but pull to 60MPH in 3 seconds or less, be obnoxiously loud WHEN you beat on it, but reasonable at idle, have a reasonable street mode that feels OK for comfort, but driven hard in a "track mode" would give a lot of feedback and be very viceral (push you back in seat, aggressive gear shifts), put a smile on your face just cruising town. Priorities are in order: HANDLING (on rails, precise), HARD acceleration, loud (sounds angry).
ptran00 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot
You are a legend in your own mind.
With WAY too many questions some sounding silly. If you want to go fast buy a Z06 and gets some mods. Likely be more power to weight than anything on your list by a ways!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C7 acceleration underwhelming?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I suggest that a ~ $35,000 C6 Z06 at 3130 pounds with 657 horsepower(stock C6 Z06 with 505 HP but with the addition of a ~$10,000 Edelbrock E-Force supercharger, weighing 80 pounds). would fit the bill perfectly for you.

Put a set of LG coil overs on it, and a set of Cup2 tires, for corner carving, and the M6 is easier to find the correct gear when shifting.

Plus, you will still get 30+ MPG gas mileage on the highway driving across the country to visit all the national parks.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.
YourFastLife (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
It's 460 hp, not 500 hp.
Actually less when factoring in the drive-train loss. Most are in the low 400's (teens)

Car is still fast regardless of what WHP and WT numbers show. Qtr mile times and trap speeds tell the tale, not a number GM slaps on a car.

YourFastLife (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM
YourFastLife
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you so much for the information. As for sound, I don't think that is an issue, any of the SC Camaro/Corvette V8s are angry enough especially with mods. I hear great things about ZR19 sound but that is unnecessary.

IMO, the M7 is underwhelming. The A8 in Z51+ (Z06/ZR1) trims launch control is fairly violent 1-2 (I tend to keep TC on because of the 1-2 torque crush). Best thing to do: go to chevrolet.com and compare all the trims together.

Base C7 doesn't have the track cooling/suspension the Z51+ variants do. Base has a smaller front sway bar and ZERO sway bar in the rear (it does body roll without it). Caveat: even the 26mmF/24mmR Z51 sways will not put you on rails either, but better than none.

Loud/Angry - Maybe the ZR1. Some like the stock Z06 sound, but I think the popular opinion is to replace the exhaust anyway.

Meh, everything is subjective. GL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette C7 acceleration underwhelming?