C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me plan our driving vacation

Old 07-04-2018, 07:06 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Spearfish Canyon is a must. (next to riding from Cimarron- Eagles Nest-Angel Fire to Taos NM, it's was my fav..) I'd also recommend driving through the Badlands park. It's unreal. What must the first settlers thought when they came on that? The ongoing Crazy horse monument is interesting, as is Rushmore.

Most of your trip looks like a total bore. (sorry, but straight interstates are). I know you can't avoid it, but... The best part looks like where you live, and once you get to SD.

If you have to take 90 across SD might as well stop at Wall Drug... Hard to pick a better tourist trap, it's either Wall Drug or Pedro at South of the Border....lol
Old 07-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Spearfish Canyon is a must. (next to riding from Cimarron- Eagles Nest-Angel Fire to Taos NM, it's was my fav..) I'd also recommend driving through the Badlands park. It's unreal. What must the first settlers thought when they came on that? The ongoing Crazy horse monument is interesting, as is Rushmore.

Most of your trip looks like a total bore. (sorry, but straight interstates are). I know you can't avoid it, but... The best part looks like where you live, and once you get to SD.

If you have to take 90 across SD might as well stop at Wall Drug... Hard to pick a better tourist trap, it's either Wall Drug or Pedro at South of the Border....lol
When the wife and I were planning our first long Corvette trip to SD & WY, I was complaining to our daughter how the first two days would be so boring.
She said "Dad, just suck it up and go!"
That's been our motto ever since then.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

On 90 we will at least stop at Chamberlain for the Museum of the Lakota, Wall Drug, and probably the Motorcycle Museum in Sturgis on the leg between Sioux falls and Deadwood. At this point my thinking is that after spending the morning at the Gateway Arch and the Museum of the west we'll just drive to Sioux Falls that Friday, giving us all day Saturday for a leisurely run from Sioux Falls to Deadwood. That will give us four full days for Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, the waterfall loop drive, Devil's Tower, and whatever else strikes our fancy.

The run from Deadwood to OKC is what strikes me as the worst part of the trip. Around 900 miles and I'd rather not do that in one day. But if we get to OKC early Friday we should have plenty of time for the Cowboy Museum, some sightseeing, then a nice OKC dinner. After that the only other semi-planned stop is the Rocket & Space Center in Huntsville, AL. Since Huntsville is only 2 hours from Chattanooga, that's an easy trip Monday morning.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:10 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Being a "jump in the car and go couple" how difficult is it to find accommodations without prior reservations along the way on a long upper Midwest trip? We would be leaving from central CT and anticipate being gone for a month or so. We would like to get out as far as Mt. Rushmore, some of the national parks and the points of interest out that way. Thinking Sept. of 19 Thanks', Ron

Last edited by NoRuls; 07-04-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Dcregar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
That's the plan. I expect to get to Deadwood by Monday and will base us there until Thursday. It's likely I'll do a couple 12 hour drive days just to have more time to sightsee at places that are worthwhile. If I run a day or two long I can work from a hotel if necessary.
Sounds like a great trip. You should spend a night in Rapid City after you tour Mt. Rushmore. Very interesting small city. Many western shops etc. Stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson which is very historic.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:17 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
Being a "jump in the car and go couple" how difficult is it to find accommodations without prior reservations along the way on a long upper Midwest trip? We would be leaving from central CT and anticipate being gone for a month or so. We would like to get out as far as Mt. Rushmore, some of the national parks and the points of interest out that way. Thinking Sept. of 19 Thanks', Ron
generally speaking, I've had no problems finding Motel rooms while traveling.Literally dozens of options along the interstates. But i do tend to make reservations in advance at each of my destinations. Closer you get to nat'l Parks, more you need to reserve in advance. To stay inside the parks usually requires reservations 13 months in advance.
The following users liked this post:
NoRuls (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 02:25 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 279 Posts

If staying in Sioux Falls overnite, might as well enjoy an evening stroll at Sioux Falls Park before turning in for the night
Old 07-04-2018, 02:27 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
The last time I drove cross country (SE PA to Whidbey Island, WA and back via Las Vegas)I didn't make any reservations, bu I did use hotel specific phone apps to make reservations when I knew I want to stop in an hour or so. Never had any issues finding rooms anywhere on the trip. That being said I moved this trio to the following week because i inadvertently picked the week of the Sturgis Rally to be in that area. I could still find rooms for advanced reservations, but the prices were 3 to 5 times the nightly rate before or after that 10 day period.
NoRuls (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 84 Posts

There are lots of atractions along your route. Some are easy to get to with a bit of re-routing on road. Roads out west are mostly all good.
Badlands is a must drive.

https://cornpalace.com/ not really out of the way.
http://www.visitdodgecity.org/index.aspx?NID=78 neat to visit.
several other sites have been mentioned:
https://nationalcowboymuseum.org/
https://oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/
If you go thru Dodge City you can come south and hit some of Rt 66 west of Ok City.

http://www.okhistory.org/sites/route66.php
https://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.4680 neat eating place and old gas station

on way up:
https://sacmuseum.org/
Enjoy the trip. Can't see it all on one trip though.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

We stay in Deadwood at either the Springhill Suites By Marriott, or the Lodge at Deadwood. Love the HUGE shower at Springhill Suites(they also have underground parking).

On the way to the Black Hills, we stay in Sioux Falls, SD at the Dakotah lodge(Nice restaurant across the street). The last trip we made(June 2016). they had an 8 oz sirloin, potato and a salad for $10 on a Saturday evening. We were not expecting that, and it was a great steak.

Then stop in Murdo and visit the Pioneer Auto Museum(very interesting museum as they also have other stuff.

Then on to the badlands(restaurant in the park near the visitors center has a great Indian Taco salad). Plan on spending the day driving and visiting between Sioux Falls and the Black Hills(speed limit on I-90 is 80 MPH.. When you get out of the park at the west end, you cross I-90 into Wall, SD and stop and see Wall Drug Store and have an ice cream.

Then get off I-90 in Sturgis to go to Deadwood. Spend the next day driving from Deadwood on Hwy 85 through lead and then take ALT14 at Cheyenne Crossing to drive through Spearfish Canyon. When you get to Spearfish cross I-90 and get on US85 north towards Belle Fourche, but take a left onto Hwy 34 into WY(turns into Hwy 24). Stop in Hulett, WY for lunch(several restaurants to choose from).

Then make a right off Hwy 24 into Devils Tower. Then south on Hwy 24 and stop and watch the prairie dogs in their village on the right side of the highway. Then take US14 south to I-90 heading east. Get off I-90 at exit #205 and into Beulah, WY and have a steak dinner at the Buffalo Jump Saloon .Then back to Spearfish and US85 south to Deadwood.

Plan on spending one evening walking around downtown Deadwood and there are a bunch of restaurants to choose from. They have trolleys that run from the motels to downtown Deadwood. Parking in Deadwood is very poor, so take the trolley and leave your Corvette at the motel.

Spend one evening walking around Deadwood(lots of restaurants to choose from,) They have trolleys that run a loop from the motels to downtown deadwood.

It's easy to see the Black Hills from Deadwood. be sure to take the Iron Mountain Road(ALT 16) after seeing Mount Rushmore and then Needles Highway(Hwy 87,then south on Highway 385 to visit Crazy Horse Mem.

If you like to ride old steam trains, then there is a 2 hour 1880 train between Hill City and Keystone(and return). Lunch in Hill City at Desperados after the train ride.. Another beautiful drive is US85 west from Deadwood, through Lead to Newcastle, WY and then Hwy 16 to Custer and then US385 south, then a left onto Hwy 87 at Wind cave national Park, then north into Custer Sate park and take the Wildlife Loop Road north ,

I think you would enjoy the drive from Deadwood to Oklahoma City, If you leave Deadwood and take ALT 14 back to Sturgis and take I-90 east to Rapid City. Take Hwy 79 south to US385 and US385 south into Nebraska.to Northport, NE and then a left onto Hwy 26 heading east to Ogallala, NE and get on I-80 east. Get off I-80 at exit #353 In York(it's 547 miles from Deadwood, so I recommend the holiday Inn Express there in York, NE) and then take US81 south into Kansas the next morning, and to I-135 and then I-35 in Wichita, KS.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
DPC57 (07-04-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me plan our driving vacation