Sponsored by:

Stolen C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

In the early 1980s a friend bought a new 1/2 ton regular cab short bed Chevy pickup with a 6.2L diesel and his younger brother borrowed it and ran it into a river with the engine running while testing out its 4X4 capabilities. An independent shop replaced the engine (water doesn't compress very well and a connecting rod gave up) and did some other work and 10 days later it was stolen out of his driveway late at night. Shortly after midnight the police responded to an alarm at the shop that had done the work and found a new employee who set off the alarm while going in and out of the building. He was in the building late at night because he was parting out a 6.2L Chevy diesel pickup and the officer who responded to the alarm was the same one who took the stolen vehicle report a few hours earlier. Good for him and the pickup owner; not so good for the scum who made a key while it was being repaired and later stole it.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
OnStar won't send the monthly health reports unless the vehicle is started and running on or after the normal date the info is uploaded and the report is emailed.

It needs a cellular connection to communicate and a RF clear view to the sky for the GPS to work so a shipping container or other shielded enclosure will prevent it from responding..
Thanks for that. I knew there was some sort of combination of RF, cellular wireless service, and GPS for that to culminate into a distinct location.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Sherlock Holmes

Patience is a virtue. Insurance will take care of it. Pain in the patoot for sure. I'd do a little amateur sleuthing just for fun. Check eBay Motors and craigslist for part listing. The car will get chopped and shopped, but you just might find your wheels for sale on eBay. Fun if you did.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I read an earlier news where thieves can use a remote device to hack/open your car if the fob is within a certain distance.
Originally Posted by owc6
This is news sensationalism. There is not one verified case of a Corvette (C6 or C7) being stolen this way.
A friend of mine (he is big into ham radio) has a HACKRF SDR device. He can record the transmission from a keyfob using this HACKRF device, then turn around and send it out again (the HACKRF also is a SDR transmitter.. very low power.. but it does transmit).

Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM
ON RAMP SLAYER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/poli...udi-dealership

This happened down the road from me lol. 12 cars stolen from audi dealership! All customers cars being serviced

Last edited by ON RAMP SLAYER; 07-05-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Well, I conclude that they use a Tech 2 or the new equivilent to make the FOB but anyone can do a new FOB add to a car in 30 minutes without anything but supply a NEW FOB. You put the key in the rear trunk slot, turn it quickly 5 times and get the car into programming mode, insert the new FOB into the steering column slot and viola! You have FOB #3 programmed to the car. #3 will do everything that FOBs 1 & 2 will do except retain the memory functions for the seat and mirrors and stuff. If you want to see how to do it in your driveway or your garage, just use the Owner's manual or this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

I know how to do it so I don't need to refer to the owner's manual or that IF/Then table I made to do the FOB encoding. All you need is 30 minutes of "alone" time, the key to use in the trunk slot, access to the inside of the car, and you can add a new FOB. Annnnnnnnnd where do all of those parameters come together? The dealer and a person with access to the car.

Elmer
So then a way to prevent this is to remove the key from the FOB whenever turning the car over for service.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by evoroadster
So then a way to prevent this is to remove the key from the FOB whenever turning the car over for service.
Most sensible answer in the thread!

It may not stop all attempts (especially if the car is in the shop for more than a day), but if they order a key via the VIN; that is highly monitored, and GM makes them justify every one.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

This has been going on for decades. Before there were fobs, they would copy your key and find out where you live using the documents in your glovebox. You can't completely guard against this happening. But what you can do is lock your glovebox, which likely has your insurance and registration, including address. That way, even if they have the key, they will have more difficulty determining where the car lives.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:38 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Can the glove box in a C7 be locked?
Old 07-05-2018, 05:41 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DWillys
Can the glove box in a C7 be locked?
Yes, it locks when the car is locked, and if you set the car to Valet Mode, it and the trunk locks as well.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:44 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
OnStar has its own backup battery (also needed so that it is more likely to work after a severe crash that takes out the car's primary electrical system) but a thief can remove that backup or the OnStar communications module before you discovered that the car was stolen. A knowledgeable thief who has ready access to your car can pretty easily disable any standard or added system just as any normal home security system is a deterrent to the amateur/average and not dedicated thief.

I think it is highly likely that another fob was paired with your car and then the security system was quickly disabled after the car was stolen or it is currently sitting in a nice container ready for export with this metal container providing a sufficient Faraday shield to prevent any of its comms systems from working.

I suspect that if you had looked at the pairing screen after repair it would have asked you to begin pairing remote 4 indicating that three instead of the standard 2 were already paired although a more astute thief could have canceled the existing fob not left with the vehicle so that it would still look as only 2 were paired (one of those would have been the newly paired and your other existing fob wouldn't have worked).

I did some consulting work with the International group (which was the old auto theft bureau) at the National Insurance Crime Bureau in the early 1990s and I remember reading about quite a few post-repair thefts of this sort although as I recall most of these were through custom and independent shops rather than dealerships. At the same time one of the staff workers had her brand new Suburban stolen out of the NICB parking lot the day she bought it. It was scheduled to have Lo Jack installed the next day
If the astute thief unpaired one of the fobs and the owner brought both fobs before picking up the car and tested both - wouldn't the theft be noted then?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Anytime, anyway, if a thief wants your car he'll get it. One way or the other. All we can do is make it more difficult.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
kenownr (07-06-2018), rmorin1249 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm surprised the car didn't overheat & go into limp mode.... nah, just kidding...I hope that you get your car back in one piece & unharmed
Old 07-05-2018, 06:54 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by joemessman
Anytime, anyway, if a thief wants your car he'll get it. One way or the other. All we can do is make it more difficult.
The criminals unfortunately have the upper hand. I watched a video yesterday of 2 guys stealing the wheels and tires off of a Ferrari. It had wheel locks but they used a socket and a big hammer and got them off in less than 2 minutes. Alarm was going off but didn't stop them.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by evoroadster

Which I do every time I go in for any service. It also removes my house Key which I keep on the FOB ring. Why invite someone to your house with their very own copy of your house key.

Elmer
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

There are such things as a "Master Fob" I got one with one of my Corvettes by accident from the plant. I went to my dealer one day and walked by a row of Corvettes and opened and locked every single car as I walked by.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 AM
owc6
Team Owner

How did you know you unlocked them all?

Get notified of new replies

To Stolen C7 Z06

Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
A friend of mine (he is big into ham radio) has a HACKRF SDR device. He can record the transmission from a keyfob using this HACKRF device, then turn around and send it out again (the HACKRF also is a SDR transmitter.. very low power.. but it does transmit).
This is becoming more common nowadays. Just select a target, wait near the targets location and steal the code when the car does its normal thing with its FOB. Gets around a lot of issues with trying to actually steal a FOB, program a FOB to the car while at a dealership or some other shop, etc. No accessories before the fact to squeal on you.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/unlocking-al...dr-or-arduino/

Bill

The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
In a port city like the SF Bay Area, it was likely in a shipping container very quickly.
My thoughts exactly. Probably already on the way to Albania

To the op sorry for your loss, hopefully your insurance company gives you good value. Maybe just a good excuse to upgrade to a zr1.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

My condolences to the OP.

I never leave my car in the driveway at night or parked anywhere but my garage for any great length of time.

Quick Reply: Stolen C7 Z06