Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE wear and tear: 2 days on tires and brakes

Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Default HPDE wear and tear: 2 days on tires and brakes

The tires were brand new MPSS, I put maybe 200 miles or so on them between dealer, home, and the first track day. Then another few hundred miles for travel to/from the second. The pictures below were after the two days; one at Sebring and one at Palm Beach International. I have a Z51 with street alignment. Outsides are pretty worn but still decent tread in the middle except for the beading, I guess you could call it, which I am assuming is because of the lack of track alignment. Thoughts? I got 30K street miles on my first set, I would guess I lost 10K street miles or so from these two days. Could probably do 2-3 more track days.

I have whined on here about my brakes already, even though I somehow lost the pictures I meant to post from the brake change. Stock pads had about 50% life and I went through those almost completely at Sebring. Replaced with Hawk HPS 5.0 and went through the brand new set in one day at Palm Beach. It was metal on metal, I drove home to Orlando ~200 miles without using the brakes once which was impressive. This made the pads a PIA to change since they were so compressed. Nothing left but the metal backing for the pads in the front and not much more than that in the rears. Swapped in Carbotech 1521s for street, will use XP12/10s for track next time.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:01 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Normal. Need camber.

use track pads for track and street pads for street.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

from what I see, most of that is from marbles picked up on the track. I have some pics of my tires after a few laps at COTA during an IMSA weekend and they looked exactly the same. Scared the crap out of me initially until I realized what it was.

I'll see if I can dig up the pics.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Tires look pretty normal. But it does look like you are getting close to heating your tires to the point of death. I did this to my stock tires in 3 sessions. If you get faster you might need tires quicker than your predicting. Below happens pretty quick once you push them to hard. HPS are a aggressive street pad. They die quick on the track as you have found as they don’t work well in the heat range a stock C7 can generate. I love DTC 70/60’s combos, but they kill rotors quick as they are very aggressive. The Carbotech will defiantly be a step in the right direction.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
slickstick (07-05-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:12 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Normal. Need camber.
Wouldn’t he need less camber?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
Wouldn’t he need less camber?
Ah. I see what you did there.

OP need more NEGATIVE camber. Better?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 AM
crapthatsloud
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah those look normal, if a little roasted. Lots of tread left, it would seem. Crazy how fast these cars go through pads at the track! I will say PBIR and Sebring are both exceptionally hard on a car's tires and brakes specifically. You're hauling the car down from 140ish mph at both tracks at one or more points.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:59 PM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
The tires were brand new MPSS, I put maybe 200 miles or so on them between dealer, home, and the first track day. Then another few hundred miles for travel to/from the second. The pictures below were after the two days; one at Sebring and one at Palm Beach International. I have a Z51 with street alignment. Outsides are pretty worn but still decent tread in the middle except for the beading, I guess you could call it, which I am assuming is because of the lack of track alignment. Thoughts? I got 30K street miles on my first set, I would guess I lost 10K street miles or so from these two days. Could probably do 2-3 more track days.

[IMG]https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-

vbulletin/1500x2000/80-track_tire_2_12f83e1dc30c8e61e341424111f becc53dc84332.jpg[/IMG]

I have whined on here about my brakes already, even though I somehow lost the pictures I meant to post from the brake change. Stock pads had about 50% life and I went through those almost completely at Sebring. Replaced with Hawk HPS 5.0 and went through the brand new set in one day at Palm Beach. It was metal on metal, I drove home to Orlando ~200 miles without using the brakes once which was impressive. This made the pads a PIA to change since they were so compressed. Nothing left but the metal backing for the pads in the front and not much more than that in the rears. Swapped in Carbotech 1521s for street, will use XP12/10s for track next time.
Go to Discount Tire. They are authorized adjustors for Michelin. I had the same thing happen & got a brand new set for almost nothing. The fronts are warrantied for 15K & the rears for 30K. Even if you track it.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by boofus1
Go to Discount Tire. They are authorized adjustors for Michelin. I had the same thing happen & got a brand new set for almost nothing. The fronts are warrantied for 15K & the rears for 30K. Even if you track it.
Same.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Really? I have 7200 miles on the car and the front are down to 2/32 after 5 HPDE days. It will be nice to get a set of MPSS for half price.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Huh what? That's not tire failure. That's clear lack of negative camber. That's crazy if they are just giving away tires because we're burning through them at the track. Otherwise everyone would buy MPSS as track tires, melt them, then get replacements for almost nothing.
The following users liked this post:
mjcourt (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Huh what? That's not tire failure. That's clear lack of negative camber. That's crazy if they are just giving away tires because we're burning through them at the track. Otherwise everyone would buy MPSS as track tires, melt them, then get replacements for almost nothing.
I warrantied my tires after 2 track days and 9k miles. Pro-rated.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I warrantied my tires after 2 track days and 9k miles. Pro-rated.
wasn't that because of another issue though? Delamination?

From Michellin warranty:
– Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation
or other abuse;
– Uneven or rapid wear which is caused by mechanical irregularity in the
vehicle such as wheel misalignment (a measured tread difference of
2/32nds of an inch or more across the face of the tread on the same tire
);
Also, sport cup 2s are in there for no warranty. But damn, I wish I knew this before I replaced my last ZP tires. I tracked it but them drove enough on the street to erase any track marks and wear was even due to proper camber. I guess if you just get a bit of camber so that your wear evens out, and then drive them enough to get rid of all the obvious gunk, I can't see why they'd deny you.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-18-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point. Mine didn't look like that. They had 3K miles and 6 track days and were down to 2/32 in places-mostly along the edge.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

wasn't that because of another issue though? Delamination?

From Michellin warranty:

Also, sport cup 2s are in there for no warranty. But damn, I wish I knew this before I replaced my last ZP tires. I tracked it but them drove enough on the street to erase any track marks and wear was even due to proper camber. I guess if you just get a bit of camber so that your wear evens out, and then drive them enough to get rid of all the obvious gunk, I can't see why they'd deny you.
No, my cup2 delaminated. I told them I tracked the pss, too. Still replaced them. You need to be under 4/32nds across the tread IIRC

Last edited by village idiot; 06-18-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Michelin will cover delamination and chunking if the tires appear to have proper alignment. Michelin questioned the wear pattern of my chunked tires when I took them to Discount Tire, and they did replace at half price. But OPs tires look like normal track wear except for outer edge from lack of track alignment.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I like melted tires …

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE wear and tear: 2 days on tires and brakes

Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mjcourt
Michelin will cover delamination and chunking if the tires appear to have proper alignment. Michelin questioned the wear pattern of my chunked tires when I took them to Discount Tire, and they did replace at half price. But OPs tires look like normal track wear except for outer edge from lack of track alignment.
not on cup2.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Tires look pretty normal. But it does look like you are getting close to heating your tires to the point of death. I did this to my stock tires in 3 sessions. If you get faster you might need tires quicker than your predicting. Below happens pretty quick once you push them to hard. HPS are a aggressive street pad. They die quick on the track as you have found as they don’t work well in the heat range a stock C7 can generate. I love DTC 70/60’s combos, but they kill rotors quick as they are very aggressive. The Carbotech will defiantly be a step in the right direction.
Thanks for the heads up. You tore those suckers up good
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by slickstick

I use xp12/10 and they are awesome. However, they cracked my stock rotors pretty quick. I have DBA rotors on now.

Sucks how it is not a linear progression right? Going a little faster costs so much $$$

The tires look fine for more street use. On the track though? Might be seeing cords on those sides in 1 day.

I tried taking a step backwards and using stock brake pads on a (borrowed) gs. The brakes were smoking in 10 minutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE wear and tear: 2 days on tires and brakes