Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport 4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Pilot Sport 4s

I just about have decided to replace my OEM Michelin zp tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S XL non zp. I read a lot of good comments on these tires. Hope to improve ride, handling and reduce road noise.

Regards,
Dave K.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (08-01-2018)

Popular Reply

07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

At the limit I doubt the 4S out performs the stock PSS ZP. People who don't push their cars to the limit in a corner may think the 4S out performs the PSS SP but Michelin doesn't advertise the tire as being able to do that. The non run flat PSS can't be used as a comparison to the PSS ZP used on the Corvette since the tires are different. The 4S might ride a little softer since the inner sidewall won't have the run flat stiffener in it. Here are some stated differences provided by Michelin:

The 4S:The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds. The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use.

Internal construction of the Pilot Sport 4S features twin steel belts reinforced by a spirally wound hybrid reinforcement. This hybrid Aramid and nylon belt offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Specifically tuning the application of the cord filament provides Michelin engineers the ability to balance tension and strength, and a single-ply, polyester cord casing balances trade-offs between ride quality and responsive handling.

The Corvette specific design of the PSS ZP:

All versions of the Pilot Super Sport ZP employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction.

Sizes for the standard C7 Corvette use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and treadlife; while the sizes for Z51-equipped and Z06 models feature side-by-side tread compounds. Different from the standard Pilot Super Sport tread compounds, one is designed and manufactured in the U.S. specifically for the C7 Corvette, and the other is made for racing applications by the same people and equipment that produce the compunds in Michelin´s Le Mans-wining race tires. The two combine to deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

Tires for all three models feature twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. The angles at which the steel belts are molded into each version have been tuned to balance performance and comfort. The steel belt angles used for the standard C7 emphasize ride and treadlife, while the angles used for the Z51 and Z06 tires focus on increasing performance and at-the-limit handling. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. It is applied using Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that allows Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength by winding the cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel.

As for the ZP construction there are two different sidewalls on the tire. If you attended the Spring Mountain School and held the cutaway sections of the tires in your hands you would know the outer sidewall flexes just like a non-run flat tire.

Michelin Zero Pressure Technology reinforces sidewalls by adding run-flat inserts that allow tires to temporarily carry the weight of the vehicle in the event a puncture results in complete loss of tire pressure. The Pilot Super Sport ZP is designed to allow Corvette drivers to continue their journey for up to 50 miles at up to 50 mph. All three versions of the tires feature asymmetric run-flat inserts and casing components designed to broaden tire performances by focusing distinct functions on the appropriate sidewall. Inboard sidewalls feature a more rigid insert that increases sidewall stability to provide the majority of run-flat capability, as well as to transfer torque during acceleration, braking and cornering. Outboard sidewalls feature a softer insert that increases sidewall flexibility to maintain footprint size when cornering, as well as to enhance ride quality and tread life.

Bill
Old 07-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

No way I'll ever run non-ZP summer tires on the C7. On my new car w/ 2K miles, I've had a right front nail puncture, and yesterday I picked up a screw in the left rear imbedded near the sidewall. It is being replaced. Fortunately, since they were ZPs I didn't get stranded. My $500 tire/wheel policy has also paid for itself in 4 months.

Max performance summer tires like the PSS and PS4S are very sticky on hot pavement. They pick up nails and screws, whereas a less sticky compound would roll over most of them without a puncture.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
daleong (07-06-2018), jimmie jam (07-06-2018), vdavenp802 (07-07-2018), z edge (08-01-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:59 AM
REPOED C7
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and really like them. I have about 2,500 miles on them.

The tire chatter/hop is gone, but I'd say the road noise is about he same. The traction control light still blinks when I get on the M7 but I don't feel like I'm sliding around like I was with the OEM tires.

I ended up getting slightly larger 245/35/19 & 295/30/20 because they were cheaper than the OEM size (Corvette tax?).
911Hunter (08-01-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No way I'll ever run non-ZP summer tires on the C7. On my new car w/ 2K miles, I've had a right front nail puncture, and yesterday I picked up a screw in the left rear imbedded near the sidewall. It is being replaced. Fortunately, since they were ZPs I didn't get stranded. My $500 tire/wheel policy has also paid for itself in 4 months.

Max performance summer tires like the PSS and PS4S are very sticky on hot pavement. They pick up nails and screws, while a less sticky compound would roll over most of them without a puncture.
Hard to find a Michelin or other tire dealer to remove/remount the run flats. Corvette is one of the few performance cars sticking with ZP tires.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I've had no problem at all finding dealers to remove/remount ZP tires on my C7s. Any of the 3 closest dealers to me does them all the time, and scratch free every time. They have the latest equipment.
vdavenp802 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

I've had no problem at all finding dealers to remove/remount ZP tires on my C7s. Any of the 3 closest dealers to me does them all the time, and scratch free every time. They have the latest equipment.
Agreed, my Chevy dealer has the best tire equipment of any shop around and only charges $25/tire for C7's. After a few incidents myself, I'll be sticking with run-flats here as well.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

All I can say is that in my 70,100 miles on my car I have had four flats on my ZP tires. One was was a rebar 3/8 on an inch in diameter that went through the rim as well. In all four instances of these flats there was no convenient way to fix them on the fly with a plug kit, etc. I would have been in a world of hurt without ZP tires. I kept right on driving in all instances to the Discount Tire shop. I have very few blemishes on my rims, and the ones that are there are road gravel induced. Good luck to you if you decide to go without ZP tires. You'll need it my friend. I'm on my third set of ZPs. The Last two sets have been the A/S plus 3.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
vdavenp802 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I've also had 4, and every single one of them have been very sticky max performance summer tires in very hot temps, 90º plus. Curiously, on our 3 other vehicles on less sticky all-season tires, I've had none. All the vehicles obviously drive the same routes, so it's not like we're in a nail-infested territory.

My theory is that sticky tires in hot weather just pick stuff up like magnets.
vdavenp802 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

If this forum is any indication, then high performance summer tires certainly seem to collect nails better than any other variation of tire.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:46 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Replaced my OEM runflats on my C7 Z51 with the 4S about 5K miles ago.
  • Much less road noise for mine - right after installation, I was doing over 100mph before I noticed - it was that quiet.
  • Softer sidewall is noticeable - feels like a little more body roll.
  • Rides a little smoother - don't feel every road seam like run-flats
  • Some have complained that the more-compliant 4S non-runflat takes the "edge" and some of the predictability off the C7 handling and road feel. I don't necessarily agree - It's just different.
  • Overall, I consider the refinement provided by the 4S to be an improvement to the already spectacular C7 Z51.

Last edited by tomlink; 07-06-2018 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tomlink:
911Hunter (08-01-2018), Caleb_S (05-15-2021)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

At the limit I doubt the 4S out performs the stock PSS ZP. People who don't push their cars to the limit in a corner may think the 4S out performs the PSS SP but Michelin doesn't advertise the tire as being able to do that. The non run flat PSS can't be used as a comparison to the PSS ZP used on the Corvette since the tires are different. The 4S might ride a little softer since the inner sidewall won't have the run flat stiffener in it. Here are some stated differences provided by Michelin:

The 4S:The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds. The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use.

Internal construction of the Pilot Sport 4S features twin steel belts reinforced by a spirally wound hybrid reinforcement. This hybrid Aramid and nylon belt offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Specifically tuning the application of the cord filament provides Michelin engineers the ability to balance tension and strength, and a single-ply, polyester cord casing balances trade-offs between ride quality and responsive handling.

The Corvette specific design of the PSS ZP:

All versions of the Pilot Super Sport ZP employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction.

Sizes for the standard C7 Corvette use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and treadlife; while the sizes for Z51-equipped and Z06 models feature side-by-side tread compounds. Different from the standard Pilot Super Sport tread compounds, one is designed and manufactured in the U.S. specifically for the C7 Corvette, and the other is made for racing applications by the same people and equipment that produce the compunds in Michelin´s Le Mans-wining race tires. The two combine to deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

Tires for all three models feature twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. The angles at which the steel belts are molded into each version have been tuned to balance performance and comfort. The steel belt angles used for the standard C7 emphasize ride and treadlife, while the angles used for the Z51 and Z06 tires focus on increasing performance and at-the-limit handling. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. It is applied using Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that allows Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength by winding the cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel.

As for the ZP construction there are two different sidewalls on the tire. If you attended the Spring Mountain School and held the cutaway sections of the tires in your hands you would know the outer sidewall flexes just like a non-run flat tire.

Michelin Zero Pressure Technology reinforces sidewalls by adding run-flat inserts that allow tires to temporarily carry the weight of the vehicle in the event a puncture results in complete loss of tire pressure. The Pilot Super Sport ZP is designed to allow Corvette drivers to continue their journey for up to 50 miles at up to 50 mph. All three versions of the tires feature asymmetric run-flat inserts and casing components designed to broaden tire performances by focusing distinct functions on the appropriate sidewall. Inboard sidewalls feature a more rigid insert that increases sidewall stability to provide the majority of run-flat capability, as well as to transfer torque during acceleration, braking and cornering. Outboard sidewalls feature a softer insert that increases sidewall flexibility to maintain footprint size when cornering, as well as to enhance ride quality and tread life.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
bigsapper (07-07-2018), Burgy (07-31-2018), davefreeman (07-06-2018), Foosh (07-07-2018), jimmie jam (07-06-2018), joemessman (07-06-2018), Len44 (07-07-2018), RocksZC7 (07-01-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I had these put on my 2014 Z51 a couple months ago and really love them. I don’t track my car, but do drive it aggressively on city streets. For that application, I have zero complaints. When these wear out, I will be buying them again.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdk541:
911Hunter (08-01-2018), JNorthstar (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:56 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Replaced my oem with 255/295 4S and I like them. The ride is a bit softer (Z51) and a bit less noise. It's not a huge difference in ride and noise but it is better. I'm not gonna lie, the oem tires in warm weather would hook with 610/548 at a 60 roll. Point being they weren't horrible tires, so anyone that says they were is kidding themselves. I tried the 4S because I wanted to see how they would be, and I'm happy with the decision. They hook as well as the ZP tires and when it's time for a replacement I'll probably stick with them.
911Hunter (08-01-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

I've also had 4, and every single one of them have been very sticky max performance summer tires in very hot temps, 90º plus. Curiously, on our 3 other vehicles on less sticky all-season tires, I've had none. All the vehicles obviously drive the same routes, so it's not like we're in a nail-infested territory.

My theory is that sticky tires in hot weather just pick stuff up like magnets.
my theory is motorcycle induced. On a bike we never pick up object with the front tire, always the rear. the theory is the front tire kicks up the object and the back tire catches it. bike tires are sticky too.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:08 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
Whut?!

:smh:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
my theory is motorcycle induced. On a bike we never pick up object with the front tire, always the rear. the theory is the front tire kicks up the object and the back tire catches it. bike tires are sticky too.
Not a bad theory, but of my 4 PSS ZP punctures, 2 were front and 2 were rear.

Thanks Bill, I had read before that the PSS ZP is a different tire than the standard PSS, was specifically developed for the C7, and only comes in C7 sizes.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-07-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:21 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I never gave it much thought, but all of my four flats have been rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot Sport 4s

Old 07-07-2018, 11:25 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
If this forum is any indication, then high performance summer tires certainly seem to collect nails better than any other variation of tire.
As far as picking up more nails and screws. The width of the tire is the issue not how sticky it is !
Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Not a bad theory, but of my 4 PSS ZP punctures, 2 were front and 2 were rear.

Thanks Bill, I had read before that the PSS ZP is a different tire than the standard PSS, was specifically developed for the C7, and only comes in C7 sizes.
PSS ZP also comes in Z06 sizes.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM
VaydorVette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

... and scratch free every time. They have the latest equipment.
Glad you've had scratch free experience.
Unless the new machines are idiot proof, my understanding is it's the operator not the machine.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4s