Sponsored by:

Care of clear wrap front

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM
jlbruggeman
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Care of clear wrap front

Tried several searches, no luck-I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I just purchased a C7 with a clear protective wrap on the front nose, behind door bottoms, etc... Do I treat it like paint and remove bugs with wax, or is there something else that I'm supposed to be doing?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbruggeman
Tried several searches, no luck-I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I just purchased a C7 with a clear protective wrap on the front nose, behind door bottoms, etc... Do I treat it like paint and remove bugs with wax, or is there something else that I'm supposed to be doing?
Take a look at the FAQ for XPel. It’s under the support tab on their web site.

I tried to copy the the link here but it kept referencing their certified installers page.

I’m guessing the care would be similar for other products.

Last edited by intensifi; 07-07-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

It's typically called a clear bra. Figure out who makes it and follow their guidelines. Keep and eye on this CF thread: Rejex for some pretty good info.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Use Bugslide to remove bugs, works great!
The following users liked this post:
Cubby558 (07-08-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:01 PM
dp201
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had Xpel on my past and present vehicles. Always had good luck cleaning, polishing, and protecting with products like Plexus and McKees Plex-All. If I use a bug/tar remover I always follow up with these cleaners or at least go over it with a good waterless wash or instant detailer.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:51 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

I have had a variety of clear-bra brands. Just a couple suggestions I have been given by the various mfgs. Detailing sprays are fine to remove bugs. I was also told to use synthetic waxes (or sprays) rather than natural waxes--the theory was that natural waxes might yellow the film.

And one tip from an annoying personal experience. DO NOT get detailing clay at the seam. By the time you get it off, you have probably pushed some under the seam and then you are kind of screwed. You either have someone cut off the film (too scary for me) or replace the whole piece. I figure the same would hold for some waxes.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:50 PM
jlbruggeman
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
I have had a variety of clear-bra brands. Just a couple suggestions I have been given by the various mfgs. Detailing sprays are fine to remove bugs. I was also told to use synthetic waxes (or sprays) rather than natural waxes--the theory was that natural waxes might yellow the film.

And one tip from an annoying personal experience. DO NOT get detailing clay at the seam. By the time you get it off, you have probably pushed some under the seam and then you are kind of screwed. You either have someone cut off the film (too scary for me) or replace the whole piece. I figure the same would hold for some waxes.
Thanks for the help, all, appreciate it!!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

My dealer gave me a jug of stuff when the did my nose/fenders with Expel.
I also use a 50/50 solution of Simple Green.
I use SG as a quick cleaner on my on my bicycles - frame and chain ( then re-lube) and C7 - side skirts, the black area around the tailpipes and around the nose on the Expel. The stuff does no harm and quickly gets rid of bugs and light road grime with a light cloth. No scratches.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

My 5,000 miles 2009 C6 I bought this past winter had this clear film but I had no info on the company who installed it. I've been using detail spray for bugs, etc.. and a spray wax afterwards to help protect it. It's perfectly fine still so I will keep up the same routine. The spray waxes don't leave a residue at the edges which is also a nice plus. I've used both Meguiar's and Mother's which are usually under $10 per bottle.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:43 AM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,830 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My XPEL PPF is very easy to maintain and keep clean....I use Meguiars quick detailer...
Old 07-08-2018, 09:47 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

1 or 2 coats of Rejex and then use soap and water, bugs come right off
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Bcarr
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

i just had had this done a month ago by a very reputable installer. His directions were very specific to treat it just like your paint. The only thing he said is to not let bugs sit on it for a long time to avoid any discoloration.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

The key to keep the film from yellowing is to not use anything with petroleum in the formula. The XPel rep that posts here on the forum has said to not use ReJex for this reason. I have XPel and purchased the coating they sell and it works well and bugs generally just wash off with hose spray. You can find out what is any product by searching for the Safety Data Sheet that has to be available and it lists what is used in their formula.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,147 Likes on 2,247 Posts

It’s tougher than paint and much more scratch resistant. I wash, clay bar and wax it.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2
The key to keep the film from yellowing is to not use anything with petroleum in the formula. The XPel rep that posts here on the forum has said to not use ReJex for this reason. I have XPel and purchased the coating they sell and it works well and bugs generally just wash off with hose spray. You can find out what is any product by searching for the Safety Data Sheet that has to be available and it lists what is used in their formula.
So that is why it started looking clear for me I did not know it would get a yellow tint using Rejex with Xpel, I will stop recommending it...

Name:  LwQZIhP.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.38 MB
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

^^I agree. That used to be a beautiful black C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Care of clear wrap front

Quick Reply: Care of clear wrap front