Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:20 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Even the Camaro SS 1LE fairly easy beats the M3 & M4 BMWs. Prior Mustang GT and BOSS also would take them at the track. I at my local PCA DE went H2H with the previous M3 V8 model VS my '11 Mustang GT 5.0, my car was able to keep with the BMW, we were really driving hard, the M3 could not left me behind.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 07-10-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

If one tracks the car the Corvette is the better choice. However for a daily driver the M3 sedan is the more practical choice. It's plenty fast for the street and much easier to deal with if you have kids.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

While my C7 is obviously the better handling and faster car, I absolutely love my 2013 445 HP twin turbo V8 650ix grocery getter

Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
While my C7 is obviously the better handling and faster car, I absolutely love my 2013 445 HP twin turbo V8 650ix grocery getter
Very nice. We just got the call that our dealer got an X5M in for my wife to look at. I hope she likes it😄
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
Even the Camaro SS 1LE fairly easy beats the M3 & M4 BMWs. Prior Mustang GT and BOSS also would take them at the track. I at my local PCA DE went H2H with the previous M3 V8 model VS my '11 Mustang GT 5.0, my car was able to keep with the BMW, we were really driving hard, the M3 could not left me behind.
Yeah, but it's a Mustang or a Camaro and I'm not in high school any more. I don't care how fast it is at the track, I'm not taking my girlfriend out to dinner in a ******* Camaro or meeting clients in a Mustang.

You're also missing the point. I could build a track car that would take all these cars for 1/4 the price. Regardless of how fast they are, the BMW is a pleasure to drive on the track and the street.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Why does every car you own have to be some sort of 4 second super car?

I own a Corvette and few other normal cars, including a Ford Fiesta. I own a fast motorcycle, and a couple other regular motorcycles. If I had three fast cars, I would want to race myself.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

We've had many BMWs, they're wonderful cars. And it's interesting to hear from the people that have experienced the F80. To me, none of the previous gen M cars have had the level of focus of my M7 GS. The GS is simply more "purpose built" for performance. Which makes sense because the C7 doesn't have to deal with rear passengers or provide a conventional trunk. It doesn't have to carry the extra weight to provide safety/comfort to 4 passengers and can offer a extremely low center of gravity that would be impractical for a passenger sedan. Unlike the M3, the GS is a pure sports car.

I'm fortunate that I can pick and choose when/where to drive my GS. It's easy to appreciate the car when I don't have to daily it.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I really enjoy the looks of the German cars. But comparing a BMW M3 to a Corvette is not "apples to apples". BMW, Audi, and Mercedes make a fantastic 4 passenger fast car. I just don't think I could ever afford the repair bill on one if it was out of warranty. One of the main reasons I stay with American cars.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
I really enjoy the looks of the German cars. But comparing a BMW M3 to a Corvette is not "apples to apples". BMW, Audi, and Mercedes make a fantastic 4 passenger fast car. I just don't think I could ever afford the repair bill on one if it was out of warranty. One of the main reasons I stay with American cars.
Best thing about BMW is they subsidize their leases. You can get in to a new one every 3 years and always have a warranty. The cost is actually less than a Corvette if you factor in our depreciation. THIS is comparing to buying new. The used market is far different obviously.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Best thing about BMW is they subsidize their leases.
I'm not of fan of leasing a car because I like to own it after three years. But that's just me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:21 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

I'm not of fan of leasing a car because I like to own it after three years. But that's just me. Thanks.
I completely understand. It's only good for those that buy new cars often. If you drive one for many years purchasing makes more sense.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Hmmm, if you can afford to buy any of these in warranty you should be able to afford a repair. They all cost a lot of money if new or just a year or two old. Tbe best deal is probably a certified pre owned 3 year old off lease... full certified warranty, save quite a bit on the initial cost.
The following users liked this post:
fsvoboda (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Best thing about BMW is they subsidize their leases. You can get in to a new one every 3 years and always have a warranty. The cost is actually less than a Corvette if you factor in our depreciation. THIS is comparing to buying new. The used market is far different obviously.
huh?
an M4 is $1000/mo with $5k down + tax (which in Texas is about $5k).

Last edited by village idiot; 07-10-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

BMWs are great driving cars. I've owned a few. But the rub on the current-generation M3/4 is that, despite really good numbers, it leaves people sort of cold and isn't that fun to drive. Another issue is that, to improve performance, they removed the rear subframe bushings, so the amount of road noise in the car is borderline nauseating. IMO these are the two reasons you see so many of them for sale after the owners have had them for only a year or so. Unlike past M3s, they really aren't great daily drivers.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:58 AM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
Hey guys, I'm not really a street racer, or any type of racer for that matter...LOL! But the other day while cruising in my 2017 GS (all stock, no mods) on a deserted stretch of asphalt a kid in a BMW M3 kept badgering me to run him. I usually ignore these people, but I was curious. I let him punch it first, then I floored my A8 and held on! In a few seconds his lead was gone and the GS was pulling away easily. We get to the next light and the kid says, "OMG that things an animal, is that a Z06?" Told him no, Grandsport, if I was in my Z06 it would have been even more embarrassing (I do have a Z also). I then told him he should have bought American. He acknowledged and said, "That things gorgeous! I'm getting one of those." I think I converted him...LOL! Why does Car & Driver make such a big deal over the M series? Because I'm not seeing it, and it sounded like **** too. It was definitely a new model, not an older one. And from what I understand, it's not a cheap car to buy and the service charges are outrageous. My stepdaughter has a regular 3 series and all it does is break down.

You said it was definitely a "new model" M3 not a older one.

The only new model M3 BMW makes is a 4 door sedan so.... is that what he was driving?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:09 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red62vette
BMWs are great driving cars. I've owned a few. But the rub on the current-generation M3/4 is that, despite really good numbers, it leaves people sort of cold and isn't that fun to drive. Another issue is that, to improve performance, they removed the rear subframe bushings, so the amount of road noise in the car is borderline nauseating. IMO these are the two reasons you see so many of them for sale after the owners have had them for only a year or so. Unlike past M3s, they really aren't great daily drivers.

I have to say.... the main reason guys are getting rid of them ( newest F8X era m3/m4 ) is because alot of these guys have come from previous generations M cars that have hydraulic steering and N/A V8. The new M3 M4 have electronic steering and the exhaust sounds like CRAP!!! did i mention they sound horrible??!!!! There is virtually no exhaust system out there than can help make the inline 6 turbo motor sound better.
ALSO i would venture to say our corvettes are just as loud interior road noise wise as the M4, ive driven a couple m4's before i got into my corvette.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red62vette

I have to say.... the main reason guys are getting rid of them ( newest F8X era m3/m4 ) is because alot of these guys have come from previous generations M cars that have hydraulic steering and N/A V8. The new M3 M4 have electronic steering and the exhaust sounds like CRAP!!! did i mention they sound horrible??!!!! There is virtually no exhaust system out there than can help make the inline 6 turbo motor sound better. These two things combine and are making guys sell and go back to the previous gen E9X .

ALSO i would venture to say our corvettes are just as loud interior road noise wise as the M4, ive driven a couple m4's before i got into my corvette.
This one of my biggest gripes about my C7 is the interior road noise ... its a bit much at times.

Get notified of new replies

To BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I have to say.... the main reason guys are getting rid of them ( newest F8X era m3/m4 ) is because alot of these guys have come from previous generations M cars that have hydraulic steering and N/A V8. The new M3 M4 have electronic steering and the exhaust sounds like CRAP!!! did i mention they sound horrible??!!!! There is virtually no exhaust system out there than can help make the inline 6 turbo motor sound better.
That is a major complaint about that car. I'm not sure why. I had a 335i sport, which is a twin-turbo straight six, and it sounded great.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by village idiot

huh?
an M4 is $1000/mo with $5k down + tax (which in Texas is about $5k).
No sales tax in Oregon. I get cars at close to invoice. My 16 M3 was $900 a month with ZERO DOWN. I agree those with sales tax get screwed.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Yeah, but it's a Mustang or a Camaro and I'm not in high school any more. I don't care how fast it is at the track, I'm not taking my girlfriend out to dinner in a ******* Camaro or meeting clients in a Mustang.

You're also missing the point. I could build a track car that would take all these cars for 1/4 the price. Regardless of how fast they are, the BMW is a pleasure to drive on the track and the street.
Wow. I don't know what it is that you do, but that kind of attitude wouldn't earn my business.......

Quick Reply: BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport