Sponsored by:

BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
It's highly doubtful both vehicles are "worth" $60k. Consider the BMW may be worth $56K, and they are adding the $4K maintenance for a total of $60K. And that you should be paying $56K for it rather than being distracted by the included maintenance. I would negotiate as low of a price as I could, then get them to throw in the maintenance plan for free. I would do the same with the Audi.
This has gone well past the original "M3 vs C7 Grand Sport" argument and have taken on a life of its own...

But you can't just compare price for price for ANY two cars like that. The BMW being sold for $60K is worth $60K. Just because it's got free maintenance of $4K doesn't make it LESS expensive compared to the Audi. For all intent and purposes, the Audi may actually cost LESS to produce, because Audi's part of the VW conglomerate, and at the end of the day it does share parts and platform with VW. But, for marketing purposes and profit sharing amongst all the corporate brands, the Audi is price the same despite lower cost to produce and lower performance specs as a BMW because the two compete in the same space.

Ever wonder why an LG TV and a Sony TV of roughly the same spec selling in the same market usually cost roughly the same to the consumers? Even though they likely have different manufacturing processes sourcing from different plants using different parts? The "market" usually dictates what you price your product at, and competitive analysis has an equal part to play in ultimately what the product is priced for despite differences in features and parts.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
This has gone well past the original "M3 vs C7 Grand Sport" argument and have taken on a life of its own...

But you can't just compare price for price for ANY two cars like that. The BMW being sold for $60K is worth $60K. Just because it's got free maintenance of $4K doesn't make it LESS expensive compared to the Audi. For all intent and purposes, the Audi may actually cost LESS to produce, because Audi's part of the VW conglomerate, and at the end of the day it does share parts and platform with VW. But, for marketing purposes and profit sharing amongst all the corporate brands, the Audi is price the same despite lower cost to produce and lower performance specs as a BMW because the two compete in the same space.

Ever wonder why an LG TV and a Sony TV of roughly the same spec selling in the same market usually cost roughly the same to the consumers? Even though they likely have different manufacturing processes sourcing from different plants using different parts? The "market" usually dictates what you price your product at, and competitive analysis has an equal part to play in ultimately what the product is priced for despite differences in features and parts.
Right. Price is a marketing decision. Cost is something different and known only to the manufacturer--and sometimes difficult to tease out even for the manufacturer because so many different factors are involved.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I bought my wife a '97 E320 when they came out. I wish I kept it because I liked it. She hardly drove it so I sold it. Tough to hear they are considered beaters now, but I guess that was a while ago.
I love my W210 (E320) "Silver Bullet"! Only reason she's a "beater" is the clear coat is shot after 20 years and I feel comfortable parking her anywhere. Otherwise, she runs so smoothly (replaced all 12 sparks and 6 coil packs, crank case, and motor mounts), throttle response is relatively lively (completely stock), and seating is luxury!

Last edited by Parcival; 07-12-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

It's highly doubtful both vehicles are "worth" $60k. Consider the BMW may be worth $56K, and they are adding the $4K maintenance for a total of $60K. And that you should be paying $56K for it rather than being distracted by the included maintenance. I would negotiate as low of a price as I could, then get them to throw in the maintenance plan for free. I would do the same with the Audi.
Dunno, Comparably equipped, both German manufacture, and honestly I think BMW has a better reputation that Audi anyway. Big three Germans are Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Maybe Audi used more expensive screws and fasteners. I'll take the Bimmer w/ the included maintenance.

Audi guy thought he was selling a Porsche.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I agree with this statement the F8X M3/M4 with DCT are fast period. Take a stock M7 non Z I doubt even the most skilled driver could be faster in a straight line, from a stand still or roll or whatever.

Still waiting to hear back from OP on this..... He said it was a newer BMW M3 so it had to have been a 4 door sedan ?????? I bet it was a E9X
Quite frankly, I don't remember how many doors it had. It was black in color, and actually not a bad looking car.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Dunno, Comparably equipped, both German manufacture, and honestly I think BMW has a better reputation that Audi anyway. Big three Germans are Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Maybe Audi used more expensive screws and fasteners. I'll take the Bimmer w/ the included maintenance.

Audi guy thought he was selling a Porsche.
Some years ago I once almost bought an M5. Some years later my wife wanted an Audi TT. That's my only experience with the brands. I did glance at an R8 Coupe that was parked next to a GS, at a BMW dealership.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:37 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/13/.../#slide-endcap
Old 07-13-2018, 03:09 PM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts

"Can't we all just get along" LOL Corvette for sunny days ...all wheel BMW for rainy/snowy days.
The following users liked this post:
lupicon (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My Garage, these two cars don't compare to each other, I'm not sure why people think they do!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Stingraybaby
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those bashing on the M3/M4, have you ever raced one up a mountain? It will get to the top of the mountain 2 days before your vette.

I love my vette and my M4 but I can't stand driving my vette as a DD. The vette is designed for the tracks and that is where it really shines. Take it anywhere else and you lose a lot of the luster. The M4 isn't as fun on the tracks but in any other environment (rain/snow/hills/windy roads/sharp corners), it is better than vette.

The real car enthusiasts would know there is more to a car than just HP, torque and a straightaway.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stingraybaby
For those bashing on the M3/M4, have you ever raced one up a mountain? It will get to the top of the mountain 2 days before your vette.

I love my vette and my M4 but I can't stand driving my vette as a DD. The vette is designed for the tracks and that is where it really shines. Take it anywhere else and you lose a lot of the luster. The M4 isn't as fun on the tracks but in any other environment (rain/snow/hills/windy roads/sharp corners), it is better than vette.

The real car enthusiasts would know there is more to a car than just HP, torque and a straightaway.
since I’m not Travis Pastrana (google him), I don’t drive cars up mountains. Then I’d prob want a rally car like a modified Subaru WRX STI...

It’s fine but the M4 is boring...Case in point, who needs to pipe amplified engine/exhaust noise through the stereo to get the driver to have more fun (so fake that people try to find the fuses to turn it off)?!

Now if you have an old E46 M3 CSL or 1M then you’re talking...new CSLs will be out soon!

Last edited by Parcival; 07-13-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stingraybaby

If I changed M3/M4 with Toyota Tundra, and mountain with mud bog, nothing you say would be any different.

Who cares? Who races up mountains in a Corvette? NOBODY. I own five cars. If I ever wanted to do something as pointless as race up a mountain, I would buy a mountain racer and still keep my Corvette.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

since I’m not Travis Pastrana (google him), I don’t drive cars up mountains. Then I’d prob want a rally car like a modified Subaru WRX STI...

It’s fine but the M4 is boring...Case in point, who needs to pipe amplified engine/exhaust noise through the stereo to get the driver to have more fun (so fake that people try to find the fuses to turn it off)?!

Now if you have an old E46 M3 CSL or 1M then you’re talking...new CSLs will be out soon!
That is beyond pathetic. Alone that would be enough for me to never go near an M4. Of course, I am coming from the perspective of driving a '12 ZR1.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 AM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Suds

My Garage, these two cars don't compare to each other, I'm not sure why people think they do!
Yep, two different animals. Both excellent in their own ways.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

If I changed M3/M4 with Toyota Tundra, and mountain with mud bog, nothing you say would be any different.

Who cares? Who races up mountains in a Corvette? NOBODY. I own five cars. If I ever wanted to do something as pointless as race up a mountain, I would buy a mountain racer and still keep my Corvette.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I wonder how many people that are ragging on M cars have actually driven one on a track or even driven one for an extended period of time.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by HPT
LOL. I can't quite figure out which is funnier...a bunch of yokels talking about BMW, or Tesla?

Both make for a good laugh.
I live and work 5 minutes from the Tesla dealership at the Stanford Shopping Center but I still consider myself a "yokel" because of the way I was raised.

Quite OT but the Tesla is the antithesis of a lot that is Vette.

I'll grant that it is an engineering marvel but I'll only buy one when i want to drive around a big battery in a quiet machine and stare at yet another Ipad while I drive, and maybe get some kicks by doing Insane mode for one block against real cars (but not make any curving turns only straight lines at full tilt... because then I will swerve into the curb, like happened to the SF moron with vanity plates who went up against the yellow GS in my neighborhood who was smart enough to take the Tesla on a slightly curving road). My drivetrain drives me around, not vice versa. Lol just sayin'.

And if you mention that insufferable Tesla roadster, I'll remind you that it's a battery in Lotus clothing for $120K in which case I'll buy an Evora becuase then at least I'll be left with a working Toyota motor after 10 yrs.
Originally Posted by village idiot
Originally Posted by Parcival
This is the Pike's Peak race that the aforementioned stunt driver Pastrana broke the record for years ago with a rally-type car- I believe his was a Subaru WRX... do you want a Subaru WRX, VI?

I wonder how many people that are ragging on M cars have actually driven one on a track or even driven one for an extended period of time.
Does a day count as "extended"? (i did that and a R8 V10 and R8 V8 on the same day a couple years ago.)

And again I hope I didn't sound like a "ragger"... I think they drive fine, but the new ones look and sound boring (unless pre E90)... If it's my only car and my wife has a SUV, then I would get it so that I can feel sporty and still haul around kids... Luckily for them, Vettes cost a lot more in Europe than here.

Last edited by Parcival; 07-16-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Why not simply own both cars? OR not give a dang about the one you don't own.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

No one is ragging on them. An M car isn't a sports car. No one who wanted a Corvette would consider it. They aren't competitors to each other. Had you been talking about a Viper or Lambo, vs a Corvette, then that would be a real discussion or debate.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

No one is ragging on them. An M car isn't a sports car. No one who wanted a Corvette would consider it. They aren't competitors to each other. Had you been talking about a Viper or Lambo, vs a Corvette, then that would be a real discussion or debate.
I considered an M car. Lots of people cross shop that. That's simply ridiculous to say that no one who wanted a Corvette would consider it or that they aren't sports cars.

In the end I just decided I wanted to convert my next car to a weekend track car after a few years and decided a C7 was a better platform.

Quick Reply: BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport