C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone traveled RT 66 from Seligman to Oatman down to Rte 40?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Don't know where you are from in Az but there are a lot of us in Lake Havasu and surrounding communities. I run the Cars and Coffee event in Havasu the first sunday of each month. If you are close enough feel free to come on by between 7 and 9 am, on the inside road at the Havasu Mall, across from the Havasu Airport.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
teenVette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
If it wasn't a 3 day drive from MD, I would love to drive the stretch of Rt. 66 through New Mexico and Arizona. Unfortunately it probably won't happen unless I fly out to Vegas and rent a Corvette. Hmm, maybe that's what I should do.
i feel the same way living in GA. I’d love to do that route, but it’s too far from me.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Looks like half of the road ahead is full of weeds it that an optical illusion?
It's just an optical illusion Maxie. If you notice the road kinda widens, and narrows in spots, but there was always ample asphalt for driving.

Just a little history on the Sitgreaves pass. In the early days of the Okie's migration west driving their old hoopties they would have to back up the hill because the old cars didn't have enough power to make it in the forward gears.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 07-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
azmusclecar (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by teenVette

i feel the same way living in GA. I’d love to do that route, but it’s too far from me.
Ah, but you have Tail of the Dragon relatively close by. I very much enjoyed traveling that stretch a few years ago in a BMW. Hopefully I'll do it again in the Vette.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
If it wasn't a 3 day drive from MD, I would love to drive the stretch of Rt. 66 through New Mexico and Arizona. Unfortunately it probably won't happen unless I fly out to Vegas and rent a Corvette. Hmm, maybe that's what I should do.
Originally Posted by teenVette
It ain't that bad boys, we leave from the Charlotte area of North Carolina. Some times we start in Chicago, sometimes we start in St. Louis. Just plan some interesting stops between your starting point, and your destination, ex. Bowling Green, KY for the Plant, Lexington, KY for the Bourbon Trail, or anything that interest you. Remember, Route 66 is the destination. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The road to stay away from is I-40. LOTS of construction with multiple delays in that very area West of Flagstaff. You never know what you are going to find except guaranteed single-lane travel and the terrible multi-lane merges to get to that point. If you've got pavement, you're lucky. It's a massive project that has been going on for more than a year. I encountered it last September then again in June of this year.
So true Mike. We haven't been on a road trip yet that we haven't ran into some type of delays on the interstates, ex. road work, wrecks, or some type of no reason slow down. One year we hit 3 on I-40 before we even got to Knoxville, TH where we were going to head NW toward St. Louis. They surely suck, but it's all part of he adventure. I just keep the thought in my mind that I will eventually get off the interstates onto the rural roads where the pace is slower, but you can keep rolling.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette4lyn
Oatman is famous for it’s muti-generational Donkeys roaming freely on the streets and sidewalks.

Keep your windows up, as they like to stick their heads into car windows to beg for treats.

You can buy inexpensive Donkey food in the town to hand feed, and the Donkey’s will follow you everywhere.
Main Street Oatman, AZ

They are vicious vicious animals, so be careful. They may just up, and stand still so you have to walk around them.

Or lay in wait to attack when you're not looking.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 07-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
azmusclecar (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:55 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Are the donkeys considered democratic protestors laying in the road kind of like antifa????????

Thanks for all the great postings....................

Last edited by azmusclecar; 07-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Rebel Yell (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Are the donkeys considered democratic protestors laying in the road kind of like antifa????????

Thanks for all the great postings....................
I think they are Disney animatrons, but the wife said no........
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

They are burrows for crice sake! Left in this area by the minors a hundred or so years ago. What a country.
They are a prime example of the fittest and smartest surviving.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Thanx for sharing your political POV that nobody asked for...
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Thanx for sharing your political POV that nobody asked for...
AZ's comment made me laugh... I guess it is because that was exactly what I was thinking... Welcome to a new era, people actually pay attention to politics and the right is finally being heard, which apparently bugs the **** out of the left. KARMA.....

Last edited by Bajaholic; 07-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone traveled RT 66 from Seligman to Oatman down to Rte 40?