Sponsored by:

Ok... I need a reality check

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
Ya it's definitely tough being a prospective Vette owner, but reading all of the things that have/could go wrong really gives a person pause.... I mean, I go to forums to make educated decisions based on owner's experiences. To me, that's the best place to go. It's pretty easy to sift through the BS, but when an issue (or several) continually comes up, that's usually an indication of a problem.

Keep in mind when you do that (go to the forums and read about problems), the problem will seem worse than it actually is because people with the problem are going to be very noisy about it, even if the vast majority have no problems (because people are more likely to write about their problems than they are to write about not having problems 'hey, my A8 worked flawlessly today!').

But again, if there are service bulletins about a problem, then it's a real problem and something to consider. And if you get his with this driveline problem, it's not some minor fix - go read about the issue in the stickied thread and you'll see what I mean.

I tried to find the place I read about the 5% and can't find it, so you can toss that out, but everything else I said is accurate - There are TSBs about the issue, there is evidence that GM has been trying to fix the issue with several parts changes and AFM has a history of issues from this to excessive oil consumption, and has led to companies offering products to turn it off. It was an ill advised way for GM to meet emission standards in my opinion, especially on their signature sports car.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM
murtro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I walked into my dealer today and saw a red C7 on the hoist. So I had a closer look - rear wheels off and Tranny out of the car! I asked the mechanic - is the a Torque Converter issue? A = Yup! Owning a 2016 A8 I almost puked seeing that car all apart with local relatively small town mechanics (3 of them) looking like they were trying to figure things out. I have exteneded warranty (never bought one before but reading of this issue before buying my vette I went for it). However I wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice as I always drive in manual mode - which by reading the posts may be preventing the TC issue from showing up.... maybe I should be driving it hard in auto trying to get it to show up inside of the warranty. Also - planning the long trip to Bowling Green during next year's caravan and worst case scenario is this shows up then!

Thoughts? Advice??

Last edited by murtro; 07-10-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
LOL, I don't need to prove anything to you, you're no judge. I'm just putting out my opinions and info I've read about.
No, you don't. Lots of opinions here, but those backed up with sources have more credibility. An imaginary 5% with no source is worse than no information at all. You suggested it is "not imaginary" then proceeded to back that up with an imaginary number that you "think" you read (your words) but you don't know the source. In other words, you're not exactly sure. Now, you say Tadge may have said it. Yeah maybe. That's just laughable.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Lee Hunt1919
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe 2015 was the last year for the 100k powertrain warranty. 2016 c7's went to 60k if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by Lee Hunt1919; 07-10-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Hunt1919
I believe 2015 was the last year for the 100k powertrain warranty. 2016 c7's went o to 60k if memory serves me correctly.
Yes the 2015 has the 5 year 100k warranty
The following users liked this post:
Lee Hunt1919 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlevine
I bought a 2019 A8. Immediately installed the Range. Never went into 4-cylinder mode. Hopefully will never have a problem. Still, I bought an extended warranty too. Better to be safe than sorry,
I had considered getting a Range module for my 2018 before I bought it, but now that I have the car and have put 5600 miles on it, I honestly don't mind having it go into V4 mode. It gives me better MPG when I'm cruising on the highway and it'll kick into V8 mode quickly and seamlessly enough when I need it. So far no issues at all, and hopefully that'll continue. Us Canadian C7 owners have longer power train warranties anyhow, it's 5 years or 160,000 km. The way I see it, if V4 mode speeds up any potential torque converter issues, it'll show up way before my warranty is up.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I see a lot of twisted logic used here (and elsewhere), so I'll join in. I have the solution for the A8 problem. 99.996% of all C7 A8 owners have eaten tomatoes. Therefore we should eliminate tomatoes and we'll have no more A8 issues.

Just having a little fun. Seriously though........are there A8 issues? Yes. Is GM ignoring it? No. Are the A8 issues a 'tragedy' or 'epidemic'. No, unless it happens to you. Do all manufacturers deal with some pretty tough issues regularly? Yes. How do I know these things? One of the companies I'm part owner of does warranty and risk analysis for several auto (and powersports, outdoor power, digital imaging, consumer electronics and appliances, etc.) OEMs. As part of our risk analytics and oversight, we regularly report to OEM execs and external auditors. We help them set reserves, pricing for contracts, find emerging issues and causal parts, have early warning models, etc. For our clients, we have direct access to all of their sales and claim data - for limited warranty, CPO, Vehicle Service Contracts, etc. (BTW, this is the ONLY way to get to unbiased data and analysis - all others are biased, some very significantly). On the auto side, we do direct business with multiple OEMs, including the largest in the world. For those OEMs we don't deal with directly, we have great intel on ALL OEM vehicles due to the work we do on CPO, VSC, and other programs - covering all makes/models. So my cryptic comments above are not guesses. In the near future I'll share some insights - while not violating any NDAs.

One thing I would like to share - all auto OEMs have issues, and none of them are perfect (and they admit it, at least in the 3-4 automotive conferences I attend/speak at each year). Some of you have had really awful issues and poor treatment, so it feels like the OEM doesn't care. I get it. But to make blanket statements based on guessing, or what you've 'heard', etc. is a disservice to the industry, OEMs, and our favorite sports car. BTW, my company and I are not employees of any of the OEMs - they hire us, and keep us, because we're accurate, we find emerging issues and causal parts/engineering, and we don't pull punches when we find stuff.

BTW, I have all this data and am I scared to buy a vehicle with an A8? No, I've had 5 of them (I buy a lot of cars and brands - owned over 130 and. no, we don't get 'deals on them'. I want myself and everyone of our employees to have clean hands). Have I ever had an issue with one of my A8s? Yes, fixed with a software update. Is there a chance one of them will go bad? Yes, and they'll fix it.

I hope you all enjoy your C7, whatever the model, trans, color, whatever. We sure do!
thompstl1 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I appreciate all of your input... I have decided to hold off on purchasing for now. I really wanted the M7 anyway and a 2016+. Was also torn between the C7 and Mazda MX-5 RF. I've been visiting both forums for some time now... Not a lot of complaints about that little car.
​​​​​​
I'm just gonna sit tight a few more months, build up my savings more and either spring for a newer C7 with an M7 or get the 2019 MX-5 RF.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Even without the A8 problems, I have never considered buying a Stingray with anything other than the manual transmission.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Seriously? I've literally seen people say "run, don't walk". Not necessarily for the 2015, but the A8 transmission in general. There's a very recent thread from a guy asking about a 2015 C7 1lt. Read the first few comments... There are many more to go with this.
Not trying to be nasty, but statistics and numbers have to be real. That means, of the approx. 25K Corvettes produced in each model year, how many were produced SINCE and including '15? And what percent are A8s? And what percent of those have had issues w. the A8? Do you see what I'm driving at? As a matter of fact, you can't really even take such a "famous" place like Conumers R. as gospel. Why? How do they get their sample, or "univers"? Once you know that, you'll understand. Schuyler makes good points.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I appreciate all of your input... I have decided to hold off on purchasing for now. I really wanted the M7 anyway and a 2016+. Was also torn between the C7 and Mazda MX-5 RF. I've been visiting both forums for some time now... Not a lot of complaints about that little car.
​​​​​​
I'm just gonna sit tight a few more months, build up my savings more and either spring for a newer C7 with an M7 or get the 2019 MX-5 RF.
Kinda apples to oranges deciding between a newer C7 or a MX-5 RF. Like comparing a........Corvette to a Mazda!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hopper12
I see a lot of twisted logic used here (and elsewhere), so I'll join in. I have the solution for the A8 problem. 99.996% of all C7 A8 owners have eaten tomatoes. Therefore we should eliminate tomatoes and we'll have no more A8 issues.

Just having a little fun. Seriously though........are there A8 issues? Yes. Is GM ignoring it? No. Are the A8 issues a 'tragedy' or 'epidemic'. No, unless it happens to you. Do all manufacturers deal with some pretty tough issues regularly? Yes. How do I know these things? One of the companies I'm part owner of does warranty and risk analysis for several auto (and powersports, outdoor power, digital imaging, consumer electronics and appliances, etc.) OEMs. As part of our risk analytics and oversight, we regularly report to OEM execs and external auditors. We help them set reserves, pricing for contracts, find emerging issues and causal parts, have early warning models, etc. For our clients, we have direct access to all of their sales and claim data - for limited warranty, CPO, Vehicle Service Contracts, etc. (BTW, this is the ONLY way to get to unbiased data and analysis - all others are biased, some very significantly). On the auto side, we do direct business with multiple OEMs, including the largest in the world. For those OEMs we don't deal with directly, we have great intel on ALL OEM vehicles due to the work we do on CPO, VSC, and other programs - covering all makes/models. So my cryptic comments above are not guesses. In the near future I'll share some insights - while not violating any NDAs.

One thing I would like to share - all auto OEMs have issues, and none of them are perfect (and they admit it, at least in the 3-4 automotive conferences I attend/speak at each year). Some of you have had really awful issues and poor treatment, so it feels like the OEM doesn't care. I get it. But to make blanket statements based on guessing, or what you've 'heard', etc. is a disservice to the industry, OEMs, and our favorite sports car. BTW, my company and I are not employees of any of the OEMs - they hire us, and keep us, because we're accurate, we find emerging issues and causal parts/engineering, and we don't pull punches when we find stuff.

BTW, I have all this data and am I scared to buy a vehicle with an A8? No, I've had 5 of them (I buy a lot of cars and brands - owned over 130 and. no, we don't get 'deals on them'. I want myself and everyone of our employees to have clean hands). Have I ever had an issue with one of my A8s? Yes, fixed with a software update. Is there a chance one of them will go bad? Yes, and they'll fix it.

I hope you all enjoy your C7, whatever the model, trans, color, whatever. We sure do!
Looking forward to your "insights" threads.
Hopper12 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,763 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Gm made a Trans fluid formula change at some point in 2017. That's why the TSB are two triple flushes and if not change the converter. Something along those lines.

that was from a gm engineer at Carlisle last year. He also mentioned that every mfr goes through changes over the life of a component like the transmission, it's common.

I have a 16 Z06 A8 and have zero issue.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
al's Florida
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-8 problems

I don't want to beat a dead horse here. I think at this point, it's common knowledge that the early A8 trannies had issues. Whether is the tranny, TC, computer, fluids... There are known problems.

Anyone who dares to consider purchasing a 2015 A8 is warned that they are pretty much ticking time bombs. According to True Delta, 24% of 2015's have some type of transmission issue. That's no small number...

With that being said, what is the WORST CASE SCENARIO if you purchase a 2015 A8 C7? This is how I see it:

#1. You may need a new transmission
#2. You may need a new torque converter
#3 You may need a triple flush
#4 You may need a reflash

So, with a factory 5 yr/60k power train warranty still in tact, in addition to an extended bumper to bumper warranty, which would cover any one of those repairs, why are so many people shunning the 2015?

Again, I ask... What is the worst that can happen? Am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated.
I

I had a 2016 Z51 with numerous problems including the A8 transmission. It shuddered all the way home from Florida to Canada almost 1500 miles. With a case of beer in the back the bottles actually rattled over the last few miles. At a great loss I dumped it for a new GS with a stick. Hopefully I won't get 2 lemons in a row.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
Buy a 2015 M7. Problems averted.
I did, and zero issues!!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 545 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Here’s the thing though, what’s the worst thing that happens? The transmission shifts kinda wonky? The rpm varries slightly? Sure, some transmissions fail, but for the most part, these are transmissions and torque converters being replaced because there is a problem we suspect will cause failure one day. We haven’t really seen how that plays out yet.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

​​​​​​
I had two miatas, mx-5. when the RF came out, I jumped ship and bought my vette--2016vert. I loved my miatas as they were the most fun cars. no way would I ever own the RF because of a huge blind spot and inability to drive it at speed with the top out. I always consider leaving my vette for another miata, but it will never happen. my vette is just too comfortable...it cost over twice what a miata cost, but.... it is THAT GOOD!

Get notified of new replies

To Ok... I need a reality check

Old 07-11-2018, 07:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Looking forward to your "insights" threads.
Like F4, I'll be watching for your insight reports, Hopper12. I almost passed over your post because of the intro paragraph you used. Glad I didn't pass it tho.
Hopper12 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
al's Florida
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look good on GM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I realize comparing the MX-5 to a Corvette is apples to oranges. Absolutely! However this is a toy. A "want", not a "need". So considering I'm looking for a 2 door, fun car... Neither being practical, they both have things that appeal to me. Pro's and con's to each car.

I have been waiting for the 2019 MX-5's to come out as they've bumped the hp and tq (slightly), along with some improved internals, added a bu camera, etc. I'd really like to test drive one before I make an absolute decision.

In my heart, I want the Corvette, but I do have to say, the doom and gloom on this forum really did scare me away from certain C7 models. Which means, if I'm going to get my dream car, I'll need to save a few more pennies so I can get a newer one. No biggie having to wait a bit, again.. Want vs Need.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Ok... I need a reality check