Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok... I need a reality check

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM
jonebone
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's overrated, I bought a 2015 A8 Z51 and haven't had any issues.

As an analogy, I own a 2013 Nissan Altima (1st year of the new body style) that has a CVT in it. Bought new, 0 miles. It has this weird "shudder" that freaks some people out, it was all over the forums when first released. People declaring their cars lemons, etc. It's more of a driving thing if you don't know how to drive a CVT. Sometimes at certain cruising speeds (especially around 40), it acts like it is stuck between gears with a slight shudder. You either blip the gas or let off and it immediately goes away.

My point being, I'm now at 102k miles on it with nothing but normal tires / oil / etc servicing and no issues. It hasn't gotten worse, it hasn't ruined my car and I barely ever feel it since I've learned to drive the car. I wouldn't be surprised if the "shudder" that some people experience on the A8 just freaks them out when it isn't causing any damage.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
I don't want to beat a dead horse here. I think at this point, it's common knowledge that the early A8 trannies had issues. Whether is the tranny, TC, computer, fluids... There are known problems.

Anyone who dares to consider purchasing a 2015 A8 is warned that they are pretty much ticking time bombs. According to True Delta, 24% of 2015's have some type of transmission issue. That's no small number...

With that being said, what is the WORST CASE SCENARIO if you purchase a 2015 A8 C7?

Again, I ask... What is the worst that can happen?
#5. Your A8 blows-up OUT-of-warranty.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'm curious as to where you received the 'True Delta' that 24% of 2015s have some type of transmission issue? That seems ridiculously high to me as all info I've seen/heard puts total A8 transmission issues for 2015's >2017's at 3%-5%.
In 2015 most all A8s had issues even in Cadillacs and Trucks. Its not just in Corvettes.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

#1. You may need a new transmission: Likely won't happen for the issues below.
#2. You may need a new torque converter: Also gets 3x flush, but may or may not fix the issues long-term.
#3 You may need a triple flush: May not fix the TC problems if done alone.
#4 You may need a reflash: For hard- or soft-shifting problems.
-----
#5 Stator replacement and add o-rings: For delayed engagement issues. Also requires tranny removal.

My 2015 had all of the above, but I traded the car for an M7 two weeks after the TC+flush repair, leaving the stator problem untouched. It was sporadic and never could duplicate in the presence of dealer personnel, so GM refused to fix it even though the tranny was out of the car for the TC repair. Enough already.

So, with a factory 5 yr/60k power train warranty still in tact, in addition to an extended bumper to bumper warranty, which would cover any one of those repairs, why are so many people shunning the 2015? Again, I ask... What is the worst that can happen? Am I missing something?
You will need major surgery for TC and stator issues, and some have had their TC replaced more than once. That's enough to get my attention, as the dealer may not get everything torqued and fitted as well as it is done at the factory. They certainly didn't in my case, scratching my rear valance, munging up the splitter, and improperly re-fitting the splash guards. That's cosmetic stuff that I noticed, but what about miscues that I can't see from removing the tranny,
rear, suspension, bumper, etc.?

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
...not the 100,000 who have not had issues with their A8s.
...yet.

Last edited by iclick; 07-13-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
That just means 24% of all problems are tranny related, NOT that 24% of all vehicles had transmission issues...
I don't think so. The pie chart is sectioned out specifically to highlight the different issues seen in the 2015 cars. The 24% equals just that 24% out of 100%. Which means for every 2.4 (probably more) 2015 corvettes had issues with their transmission and/or drivetrain. The short note is 'for every ten corvettes in 2015..2.4 cars had transmission issues' Now the question becomes how many 2015 corvettes represent the 24% out of 100% percentile chart. Without knowing those empirical numbers it would be hard to really know, as well as whether the transmission was totally failed or partially. We also don't have those numbers either. What we do know is that issues with the transmission is the second highest issue on the piechart.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 07-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok... I need a reality check