Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Tranny - Have they fixed it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

my 17' is almost 8k miles no problems. I drive mine 99% of time in Sport and M modes.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:02 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
I have 35K miles including 20 track days and NO issues with my 2016 C7 A8.
Common sense dictates that everyone has the same A8 with exact same parts. Failure rate is high so weather 10 miles or 50.000 chances of everyone with the A8 to have Torque converter problem at some point is very high.

Last edited by kaplana08; 08-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I've decided to be proactive and get the triple flush done asap. My '17 GS only has 2200 miles on it and no problems yet (though I've only had it a week and a half) , but knowing the issues, I'll just feel better taking that initial step to protect the tranny.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Common sense dictates that everone has the same A8 with exact same parts. Failure rate is high so weather 10 miles or 50.000 chances of everyone with the A8 to have Torque converter problem at some point is very high.
yep I agree with you on this one.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 PM
rbweddle
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 Stingray A8 Studder

I started noticing the "studdering" about 3 weeks ago on my 2016 Stingray with A8 with about 22,500 miles so I came for an answer on the forum. It is an early 2016 modeI. I will be heading to dealer this week. I haven't read all the posts but it looks like the TC is the major problem. Any suggestions on how to approach dealer. I don't think we have a dealer in the Jacksonville,Fl area who knows how to repair Vettes. Just sell them.
Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
The drive lines are being destroyed by AFM. You would be seeing similar issues in the M7 cars if they kicked into AFM in all modes like it does with the A8 cars.

When AFM puts your car in V4 mode, it is damaging the driveline - the GM engineers saw this issue when developing these cars which is why they changed the driveline to steel vs aluminum in an attempt to reduce the damaging vibrations caused by AFM and V4 mode. Obviously, they underestimated the amount of vibration caused by V4 mode in terms of the stress it would put on all the other driveline parts (like the squashed torque converter...).

I agree with your point about the class action lawsuit, this is a completely unacceptable situation. The worst part is that this is a design issue and GM is just bandaging the issue by replacing the parts that fail without addressing the core cause of the issue, meaning that the parts will continue to fail, even after everyones warranty is expired, leaving the owners of these cars with faulty drivelines that will continually fail over very short periods.
And, for used buyers who pay attention, a depressed resale value for A8s after warranty.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Over 14,000 on my '17 Z with no issues.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:19 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
The drive lines are being destroyed by AFM. You would be seeing similar issues in the M7 cars if they kicked into AFM in all modes like it does with the A8 cars.

When AFM puts your car in V4 mode, it is damaging the driveline - the GM engineers saw this issue when developing these cars which is why they changed the driveline to steel vs aluminum in an attempt to reduce the damaging vibrations caused by AFM and V4 mode. Obviously, they underestimated the amount of vibration caused by V4 mode in terms of the stress it would put on all the other driveline parts (like the squashed torque converter...).

I agree with your point about the class action lawsuit, this is a completely unacceptable situation. The worst part is that this is a design issue and GM is just bandaging the issue by replacing the parts that fail without addressing the core cause of the issue, meaning that the parts will continue to fail, even after everyones warranty is expired, leaving the owners of these cars with faulty drivelines that will continually fail over very short periods.
FYI:
Dodge had timing chain issues with their R/T cars from AFM.
They made a design change after YEARS of failures.
Nissan in their 370z MANUAL cars, has faulty clutch master slave cylinders, but after YEARS of failures, like GM, is doing nothing but replacing, when failure occurs.

So my question is, these design engineers, what is their exact job?
Do they not address faults because it makes them look bad because their initial design or concept was flawed?
Certainly seems so!

Last edited by YO-EL; 08-19-2018 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:21 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

What GM is using the 10 speed now is all Escalades as same issue with those 100k vehicles. They sale more every 3 months of those then Vettes do in a year.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

GM changed the fluid... new fluid from mod 17 forward is a low friction type. The bottles have even changed to reflect it.

saw it at the dealer when I was picking up my car after oil change. Chatted with their Corvette tech who used to work for ECS and is the only tech I let touch my car.

he had an 8 speed apart and we spoke about it.

Jeff Strausser from GM Corvette division. Told us this face to face last year at Carlisle. Amid it's common for mfrs to make changes to viscosity over course of lifespan etc.

That guy is the man. Handed out his cellphone number to all of us. And we have chatted a bunch. He had the plant send me the new designed Z06 vents before they were even out to expedite my paint issues. So i took hin at his word and the texh i mentioned before corroborated it. So any mid year 17 has it and all forward. Tech said if you have the issue its triple flush and afterwards a TC change if it doesn't fix it. But will be fine either way its addressed.
The following users liked this post:
767guy (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
GM changed the fluid... new fluid from mod 17 forward is a low friction type. The bottles have even changed to reflect it.

saw it at the dealer when I was picking up my car after oil change. Chatted with their Corvette tech who used to work for ECS and is the only tech I let touch my car.

Jeff Strausser from GM Corvette division. Told us this face to face last year at Carlisle. Amid it's common for mfrs to make changes to viscosity over course of lifespan etc.

That guy is the man. Handed out his cellphone number to all of us. And we have chatted a bunch. He had the plant send me the new designed Z06 vents before they were even out to expedite my paint issues. So i took hin at his word and the texh i mentioned before corroborated it. So any mid year 17 has it and all forward. Tech said if you have the issue its triple flush and afterwards a TC change if it doesn't fix it. But will be fine either way its addressed.
Sent you a PM.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

My 2019 G S works all the time.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:37 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

Funny I found Jeff to be a Horses a$$ when I talked to him.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKC7
Zero issues with my '15 Z51 A8 tranny.
Same here with my early 2015 Stingray - no problems.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rbweddle
I started noticing the "studdering" about 3 weeks ago on my 2016 Stingray with A8 with about 22,500 miles so I came for an answer on the forum. It is an early 2016 modeI. I will be heading to dealer this week. I haven't read all the posts but it looks like the TC is the major problem. Any suggestions on how to approach dealer. I don't think we have a dealer in the Jacksonville,Fl area who knows how to repair Vettes. Just sell them.
Thanks
Contact Garber Chevy in Green Cove Springs. Heard from other Jax guys that their vette techs are excellent. No experience with any of the local Jax Chevy dealers.

Quick Reply: A8 Tranny - Have they fixed it?