Encountered some issues today with Chevy Tire Protection Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:40 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Encountered some issues today with Chevy Tire Protection Plan

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted. Not after I sold my dear vette and got an Abarth 124 spider. ( because new york insurance, moved from CA, price went from 3300 for 2cars to 9600 for the vette only a year for a base A8 C7, Can you believe that)
Needless to say I do miss my vette.

Moved to NY for personal reasons but that is why I am posting today.
After graduation, I moved to NY, and because I love cars so much and want to work in auto industry without a eng. degree I joined a Chevy Dealership as an SA.

Now short story today ( I feel like I should write a diary for all the funny stuff that is happening at the dealership from my perspective)
I had a 18 Grand Sport Customer with 708 miles on the car, driver side rear tire losing air, found a nail, we told him it needed a new tire because it is a vette that those tires
Now it doesn't have the cup2, but still a great tire. PSS ZP.

Customer purchased a tire and wheel protection plan from Chevy when he bought the car new, which I think is great because how bad the roads around NY is.
I was like don't worry they will pay for the tire.
Called up Chevrolet Protection, told me it can be repaired and refuse to pay for the new tire.
Then I called up Michelin customer support they said you can't repair it and it needs to be replaced.
I did let the customer go without paying because I truly believe GM should pay, so does my colleagues, corvette techs, and even my directer for the god damn tire (excuse my language)
Still haggling with GM/Chevy Extended Protection at this point.

Now you have heard the story, please give me your opinion if you have time, do you think I should have repaired it and let it go?

I mean on a tire like this.

What if the customer goes to the track and something happened because of the plug or patch, whose responsibility is that?
I am just baffled.

Last edited by KLdy; 07-11-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I won't say anything about going to a track w. a tire that's been repaired. but there've been several threads w/in the last few weeks of people going back to the dealer w. a tire problem and getting it replaced BECAUSE of the tire/wheel plan they'd bought. So, it sounds like that's the right thing to do But, like everything, I guess it depends on the dealership, the GM rep for the tire program, what the sky looks like today, etc.?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Per the link below, Michelin permits one repair in the center section of the tire. It’s my understanding that if the puncture is too close to the sidewall, then it’s not repairable.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

Last edited by sTz; 07-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KLdy
Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted. Not after I sold my dear vette and got an Abarth 124 spider. ( because new york insurance, moved from CA, price went from 3300 for 2cars to 9600 for the vette only a year for a base A8 C7, .

WTF

Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
I won't say anything about going to a track w. a tire that's been repaired. but there've been several threads w/in the last few weeks of people going back to the dealer w. a tire problem and getting it replaced BECAUSE of the tire/wheel plan they'd bought. So, it sounds like that's the right thing to do But, like everything, I guess it depends on the dealership, the GM rep for the tire program, what the sky looks like today, etc.?
I just got a reply from GM Rep

So apparently that is not the first happened to him as well

He basically wanted us to say that we have repaired it already, and told them it needs a replacement....
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Why would it be your call? As a new service advisor, I would think that determination would be the Service Manager's decision or another designated manager. The service advisors job is not to set policy but to follow procedure.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sTz
Per the link below, Michelin permits one plug/patch in the center section of the tire. It’s my understanding that if the puncture is too close to the sidewall, then it’s not repairable.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226
Yes I understand, but PSS ZP is not just any run flats.
I want to take back, I called up Michelin again, they verified for me.
You can patch it 1 time and that is it, but no plugs.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Why would it be your call? As a new service advisor, I would think that determination would be the Service Manager's decision or another designated manager. The service advisors job is not to set policy but to follow procedure.
Well, It wasn't my call, that why I got my supervisor involved.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I’ve posted on this before. Wheels and tires aren’t protected from road hazards from GM or Michelin. PSS tires run in the 350-400 range depending on where you buy them. And even at 350, throw in mounting, balancing, tax, labor and whatever miscellaneous fees (like tire disposal or the extra buck fifty NJ gets for new tires) you’ll get to 400-plus real quick.

All that being said, one screw, a nail and a sharp piece of metal = three new tires in 22 months. My five year policy has already paid for itself. I use Road Vantage. If you don’t have it, get it...it’s worth it.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
WTF
I know right? My coverage for the 17 GS is only $1200/yr. Crazy insurance rates elsewhere

Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by KLdy
Yes I understand, but PSS ZP is not just any run flats.
I want to take back, I called up Michelin again, they verified for me.
You can patch it 1 time and that is it, but no plugs.
The proper repair is a combination "patch & plug".

Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Just be forewarned that the protection plan is useless on the Cup 2 tires. They are below minimum tread depth when they are brand new according to the plan. IE no coverage.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Next time insert a nail through the sidewall and avert all the bickering with the protection plan folks. Easy way around the system.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,204 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Insurance companies are like Las Vegas... they aren't in business to give money away no matter how they market themselves.

Get notified of new replies

To Encountered some issues today with Chevy Tire Protection Plan

Quick Reply: Encountered some issues today with Chevy Tire Protection Plan