C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum Consensus on Front Bra

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Yep, Novistretch. Had one on my C6 too. I use it on highway trips and night cruises to keep the bugs off. Unsnaps in a few seconds and I can throw it in the washer if need be. The only problem is that the front cameras won’t work when it is on.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
I have a GM Bra on my 2016 3LT Z51 and I have to say the fit of the Bra into the interfaces of the fenders, fascia, headlights really sucks and can cause paint damage which I am getting fixed under warranty. I was getting paint spider cracks on the front fascia at the fender headlight hood interface. What is the forum consensus on a the best bra for the C7? And no I don't want XPEL.

If you use a GM bra that requires tucking the mounting tabs in between the body seams that creates a condition that restricts the movement of the body panel causing strain on the body panel. The paint crazing/cracking is the result of that strain. I believe the underlying fiberglass is fine but I would think if you kept it on long enough it might eventually crack the fiberglass. The paint is not flexible enough to allow restricted movement creating strain on it. I have had no accidents with the car. This is an area where the front fascia/bumper is unsupported and movement is restricted causing strain by the bra. The fit is very tight and I keep the bra on full time. I guess I learned my lesson.
The Best Bra I have used for the past 2 Corvettes is the Novi stretch Bra. Easy to install and easy to take off. I also purchased the Novi stretch car cover, not cheap but the best

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by syswayne
The Best Bra I have used for the past 2 Corvettes is the Novi stretch Bra. Easy to install and easy to take off. I also purchased the Novi stretch car cover, not cheap but the best
I just went on the Novistretch website and don’t see any car covers anywhere, not even in their gallery. Do you have a photo of a Novistretch car cover?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Yes --- a bra should be worrn on the front. OH? you mean on a car!!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

If anybody can recommend any good xpel installers in Southern California I would appreciate it. Thx for the input from the forum hive mind.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:21 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

A bra?

This is not the 80s.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I purchased my first bra for a 1980 TR8, back when it was new. Car is still in the family, and so is the bra. A bra is simply one more tool in the toolbox. It isn't a permanent part of my car, just there when I need it. The OP who reviewed the Novi did me a great service. Instead of a runs like a pair of pantyhose bra, I bought the GM model in vinyl, just like the 37 year old model I had for the Triumph. I'll pay it forward. ugly, fugly clear bra 3m brand, installed professionally in 2007 on a Z06. Garaged, under a cover, 900 miles in 8 years, "clear" bra - it looked like my toilet, well, only the urinal, flowed over that "clear" bra, **** yellow on a white car. Drove it another 1300 miles, mostly on one trip, all around the corners of that clear applique (again, professionally installed) black dirt found a way to get underneath the "clear" bra on all the bits I had covered, front, sides, fenders, again, black dirt covered by a "clear" bra on a white car. $1200 paid for that lesson, probably alot more for a "clear" bra now. That $130 I just paid for a C7 GM vinyl bra looks like a pretty good tool compared to the haircut I took on a "clear" bra a decade ago. YMMV.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,948 Likes on 936 Posts

I think the XPel product is great - but for the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would spend $1000(+) for XPel when compared as a bra to a NoviStretch bra which is $150 and its easily removable.

I've had the NoviStretch bra for every Vette I've owned and it protects the front perfectly. Installs in 20 min, does zero damage to your paint, easily dries if it gets wet, and is washable (unlike most bras on the market).

As I stated in the post from the gentleman with the damage to his car, while wearing a NoviStretch - that is just plain silly to blame a product for HIM hitting a curb. That's like giving a poor review of a restaurant for me chocking on a steak dinner they served me - just plain silly and quite unfair to review the product in that manner.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I think the XPel product is great - but for the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would spend $1000(+) for XPel when compared as a bra to a NoviStretch bra which is $150 and its easily removable.
Because it's ugly? If you are looking for temporary protection for a trip then maybe I could understand it, but seriously, the clear bra materials of today don't have issues long term. They continue to appear as though nothing is there while protecting the paint for years.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (07-17-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Just a plug for "SpeedLingerie". They are quite costly but look very good. The ones for the GS/Z06 have holes installed for the cameras.They can even do stripes if you want!

Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,795 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My XPEL clear bra was $550 installed with 10 year warranty...And very easy to wipe off bug splats with detailing spray...

I think it came out great and you can't even tell it's there...Well worth the cost...

Last edited by tadda; 07-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

For the record, I've never liked the look of front end bras on Corvettes, even though I've used them in the past. The cars are too good looking to cover them up.

However, living in Florida I needed something during the love bug swarms so for me the obvious solution was the Novitstretch front end cover. It works well enough to keep the front end clean from bugs, sand and small debris, however the nylon mesh will only provide slight protection against a rock or anything else substantial. The matching mirror covers to me are useless as I can never get the passenger side to cover correctly due to the angle of the mirror positioned for the driver.

The C7 is unique in it's design, especially the wide body models, that require more protection on the side panels due to the front tires spitting out road rocks, etc. It is the first Corvette I seriously considered adding Xpel for functional purposes. Even with the Xpel, the Novistretch bra is going on during the love bug swarms.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I've had the NoviStretch bra for every Vette I've owned and it protects the front perfectly. Installs in 20 min, does zero damage to your paint, easily dries if it gets wet, and is washable (unlike most bras on the market).

As I stated in the post from the gentleman with the damage to his car, while wearing a NoviStretch - that is just plain silly to blame a product for HIM hitting a curb. That's like giving a poor review of a restaurant for me chocking on a steak dinner they served me - just plain silly and quite unfair to review the product in that manner.
​​​​​​
So you dont get laughed at.

A bra? In 2018?
​​​​​
Woodson (07-17-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom760
My XPEL clear bra was $550 installed with 10 year warranty...And very easy to wipe off bug splats with detailing spray...

I think it came out great and you can't even tell it's there...Well worth the cost...

I live in SoCal. Where did you get it done if you are happy with the installation?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Apocolips
Just a plug for "SpeedLingerie". They are quite costly but look very good. The ones for the GS/Z06 have holes installed for the cameras.They can even do stripes if you want!

I will take a look at the speed lingerie bra.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Unless you like the look of a bra, and I can't believe anyone would, why would you use one? Just take care of the front bumper as much as possible by washing the bugs off after you drive it - it takes like 5 minutes. If the front gets bad from rock chips have it repainted. If you really want to protect the paint, just store it in a climate controlled garage and never drive it, but then, what's the point of having it then? Drive the car, enjoy it and fix it as items wear or get damaged.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I also had Xpel Untimate installed on our '13 60th anniversary 427 with less than thrilling results. The car was white and I hated how you could see black dirt along the edges of the Xpel. Ours was also installed by a highly recommended Xpel dealer. It wasn't an issue with the quality of his install, but rather the dirt just gets caught along any edge. On the white car, it was UGLY. I always made a point to use my Calif car duster in a brushing direction AWAY from the edge, not into it and it still looked like crap. Perhaps on a dark car, it wouldn't be an issue.

If there were no exposed edges on Xpel, like if all edges were rolled over into panel seams, etc it might be a better story for me. Mine was the standard machine cut pattern that the dealer prints out in his shop per the Xpel software on the specific car. I also noticed a slight yellowing in some areas near the edges.

Needless to say, NO Xpel on this current, WHITE GS. Just using a NoviStretch bra for road trips.

Get notified of new replies

To Forum Consensus on Front Bra

Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Apocolips

That looks awesome for sure - but it looks "thick" (is that leather?) and if that gets wet and remains on the car, it could ruin your paint cause it doesn't "breathe" like the mesh in the NoviStretch...would you agree? Is that hard to put on and take off?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
If the front gets bad from rock chips have it repainted.
1) No one buys a bra for the "LOOK" of it - its for protection.
2) So let me get this straight - a $1000 - $1200 paint job on the front fender makes more sense then a $150 removable bra?
ptalar (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:43 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Just me personally, I don't like the looks of it. I guess I'm too vain and want to make sure the car looks the best. I had a clear bra installed on the front and mirrors and cost me $750 and thought it was more than worth it to me.
My front end looks perfect after 72,000 miles and I'm happy as a clam.
It all depends on individual preference and how one thinks about things. I don't care about the money end of things, so a few extra hundred bucks spent on the front end was well worth it for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forum Consensus on Front Bra