GMEPP sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default GMEPP sucks

I just got my car back from the dealer having a bit of warranty work done. 48,000 miles on my '15 and the belt tensioner went out. The dealer called GMEPP and got the OK to fix it. They did the job and submitted the final bill, which was less than the estimate, to GMEPP. GMEPP said that they would only pay for the faulty part and not the damage it caused ( mostly destroying the belt) and that they don't pay the tax. They OK'ed $354.00 leaving me to pay the $100 deductible. When the dealer submitted the bill GMEPP said that they would pay $240 and that I owed the rest.
My GMEPP contract is for 75,000 miles and $100 deductible. So they lied about the "warranty" and the deductible. I had to use it a couple of months ago and they approved some suspension work need on the front stabilizer bar, cost me $100 and they paid the balance of about $220.
Now it is an automated system and you have to play hell to get a person. And the people that we talked to just laughed at us. This is BS, they are not affiliated with GM nor Chevrolet nor are they licenced by either. It is an independent company that bought the rights to use GM, Chev and a few other tags to draw business in. This company sucks and if you have them expect to be screwed over if you have a major claim.
I bought my from Dennis Fitchner and was treated well by him. Now I am going to PM him and tell him that he shoud quit selling this losey POS program. My dealership here in Austin dropped them today after the GM of the dealership spoke with the representative of GMEPP on the phone and was laughed at. NOT what you expect from a company selling aftermarket warranty through one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.
I, like many other, thought that this was a good program and assumed that it was affiliated with GM. It is not. My suggestion is find some other company and dump this company before you get steamrolled.

The following 10 users liked this post by rcooper:
23/C8Z (07-13-2018), bimmerborn (07-16-2018), blkvet6 (07-16-2018), chuckrbt (07-14-2018), GOLD72 (07-14-2018), itaylorm (08-17-2019), justplainjim (07-14-2018), Len44 (07-14-2018), rckt (08-16-2019), SilverGhost (07-13-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

07-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Reponse

Not much to add other than I have sold close to 4000 of these plans and have only had 1 customer experience and he bought from a previous rep here at the dealership and was not told about the 1,000 mile waiting period thus he only had 800 miles on his car in a year and a half and his claim was denied so I was the bad guy and knew nothing of this customer even having a warranty since it was before my time. I have sent all of Mr Coopers emails to my General Motors Rep for warranties and he is escalading it to the top of his chain so they can get with AMT and get to the bottom of this. I only sell what I have been told are GM plans since they would not put their Chevrolet Bow Tie on the policy showing Chevrolet Protection Plan if they did not have any input into this. I have been extremely busy this morning due to Monday and have finally gotten thru my 82 emails from the weekend. Hopefully all turns out well, I am as upset as Mr Cooper as to the treatment but again I just sell these and don't administer claims for them.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:16 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

my experience was completely different...we bought the bumper to bumper 4 yr 48K warranty for my wife's 2012 when we bought it used....got the $0 deductible plan....just had the driver door speakers replaced and the entire driver seat harness replaced due to the airbag light issue...no muss no fuss

now, what I did differently than you. Before I bought it I talked to my buddy who runs a local performance shop who specializes in Corvettes and does any performance stuff for our local Cadillac dealer if he could do GMEPP warranty stuff....as soon as he said yes I was on board. He dealt with Ally the warranty provider and they covered everything parts and labor which would have been $650. He said they were easy to work worth and gave him no problems.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd like to hear Dennis's comments on here about the OP's experience.

Does not sound good for the plan, esp. if the dealer's GM really got laughed at AND dropped the plan from being sold. Wonder what he's going to offer in its place esp. since that's a real profit center for the biz (reason why there's an "F&I" person in every dealership that "closes" the deal and prattles on while you sign the papers).
The following 6 users liked this post by AORoads:
Crossed Flags Fan (07-14-2018), jimmbbo (08-16-2019), Len44 (07-14-2018), Maxie2U (07-13-2018), Null Pointer (07-14-2018), rcooper (07-13-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'd like to hear Dennis's comments on here about the OP's experience.

Does not sound good for the plan, esp. if the dealer's GM really got laughed at AND dropped the plan from being sold. Wonder what he's going to offer in its place esp. since that's a real profit center for the biz (reason why there's an "F&I" person in every dealership that "closes" the deal and prattles on while you sign the papers).
I sent Dennis an email and told him about the problem we had. It will be interesting to hear his response. Hopefully he will have another program that he can offer, as does the dealership I use. It is a bit more expensive but they have not had this type issue. Unfortunately I don't remember the company name but I will soon as I am cancelling GMEPP and buying fromthis company that the dealership sells and recommends.
The finance guy prattles on about to many items while you are singing the papers, and as I have always bought the extended plans just before the warranty expires from others as generally it is less costly, as in buying from Dennis, who was and is a great guy to deal with.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by pewter99
my experience was completely different...we bought the bumper to bumper 4 yr 48K warranty for my wife's 2012 when we bought it used....got the $0 deductible plan....just had the driver door speakers replaced and the entire driver seat harness replaced due to the airbag light issue...no muss no fuss

now, what I did differently than you. Before I bought it I talked to my buddy who runs a local performance shop who specializes in Corvettes and does any performance stuff for our local Cadillac dealer if he could do GMEPP warranty stuff....as soon as he said yes I was on board. He dealt with Ally the warranty provider and they covered everything parts and labor which would have been $650. He said they were easy to work worth and gave him no problems.
I had the Ally program also, it was GMPP and they got it from GM and were licenced to use that name for a few more years while GM was undergoing their bankruptcy, I believe that the plan and agreement are now expired and that Ally is a separate "warranty" and you can purchase it from several dealers for a variety of cars. GMEPP was formed just a couple of years ago and was pushed off as a new GM warranty, which it is appearlanty not.
I had claims with the old GMPP and it was wonderful, got a tranny, $8500 and a few other items replaced without issue. Not so with GMEPP.
Hopefully for others I am the only one getting the shaft. I would hate to think of the number of Vette owners who have this warranty and might get messed over due to the GMEPP lies.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

In for the answers.

If I understand the OP:
Insurance not paying sales tax? Not paying for the damaged belt (in this claim)?
I'd think once approved, insured would only have to pay the $100 deductible.
Even if the approved estimate was higher than the actual bill.

Would they pay for o-rings and coolant in a thermostat replacement?
Maxie2U (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,604 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

GMEPP and GMPP (Ally) are two completely different plans from completely different providers. Ally used to sell a plan called GMPP (no 'E') Ally was a part of GM Financial, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM. A few years ago (as part of the bankruptcy and bailout), GM sold off Ally, but continued to let Ally use the GMPP name. More recently (2015 or 16, I think) GM revoked Ally's license and introduced GMEPP. I think GMEPP is underwritten by some part GM Financial, but note that in spite of having GM in the name, the phrase "wholly owned subsidiary" means it's a separate company, with separate management, separate board of directors, separate accounting, employees, benefits, and everything else. GM just owns 100% of the stock in the company. And it's entirely possible that GMEPP is underwritten by a wholly owned subsidiary of GM Financial (I'm not saying it is -- I don't know -- just that it's possible). But in either case, GM has a legal remove from the company and the plan, and no liability to enforce the terms of the service contract.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

so GM has no GM extended warrenty?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Hey Cooper. I hate that you had this experience. something doesn't seem right. Dennis has sold 100s of these to fellas on here. this is the first time (I think) that I've ever read/heard anything bad about it.

I bought one a couple months ago for my '15 but went with a zero deductible. Definitely let us know what you learn sir.
rcooper (07-16-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,780 Likes on 3,188 Posts

well, if that's the case, you're SEALING THE DEAL for me to trade up to a 19 next year...
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

There are plenty of other "extended warranty" brands out there, as good or better.

Nothing special about one put out there by "GM."
rcooper (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 12:08 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by rcooper
I had the Ally program also, it was GMPP and they got it from GM and were licenced to use that name for a few more years while GM was undergoing their bankruptcy, I believe that the plan and agreement are now expired and that Ally is a separate "warranty" and you can purchase it from several dealers for a variety of cars. GMEPP was formed just a couple of years ago and was pushed off as a new GM warranty, which it is appearlanty not.
I had claims with the old GMPP and it was wonderful, got a tranny, $8500 and a few other items replaced without issue. Not so with GMEPP.
Hopefully for others I am the only one getting the shaft. I would hate to think of the number of Vette owners who have this warranty and might get messed over due to the GMEPP lies.
I dunno....ours is still in effect...got it 2 years ago, bought it through a local Chevrolet dealer and my buddy said they were great to work with in fact one of the better ones he has dealt with. We weren't going to buy a warranty except the car had 16K on it and we had no info on the car except what we could get from GMVIS and CARFAX both checked out clean so knowing I had a place to go that wasn't the dealer we felt better getting it. I pretty much refuse to go to any dealership if at all possible for anything.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Never had a problem using mine....
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,252 Likes on 3,481 Posts

" reason why there's an "F&I" person in every dealership that "closes" the deal and prattles on while you sign the papers " (my emphasis added)

No, not true. Just to set the record straight, Kerbeck's never mentioned an extended warranty and I bought two C7's--signed the paperwork--within a few hours of each other since the first one developed a problem before I could get gone.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:30 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I have had 2 GMEPP warranty trips to the dealership and both were 100% paid for with 0 issues, The dealer had to call both times but within 5 minutes it was done and paid for... I have the 0 deductible... Just had the fan replaced this week...
Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
well, if that's the case, you're SEALING THE DEAL for me to trade up to a 19 next year...
me too!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I sent Dennis an email and told him about the problem we had. It will be interesting to hear his response. Hopefully he will have another program that he can offer, as does the dealership I use. It is a bit more expensive but they have not had this type issue. Unfortunately I don't remember the company name but I will soon as I am cancelling GMEPP and buying fromthis company that the dealership sells and recommends.
The finance guy prattles on about to many items while you are singing the papers, and as I have always bought the extended plans just before the warranty expires from others as generally it is less costly, as in buying from Dennis, who was and is a great guy to deal with.
in my opinion your problem isn’t gmepp but rather your dealer working you over to get you to buy their warranty plan...

youve been played ..

find another dealer and keep gmepp would be my suggestion...

i know you wont believe me and I wish you good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To GMEPP sucks

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 757 Posts

Can anyone with a GMEPP policy show me where it states that this policy will not pay taxes if you have 0 ded or 100.00 ded. I have not used mine yet.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:26 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

I chose to buy the 0% deductible simply to avoid the possibility of a dealer fixing one item and not the other, causing me to get stuck with two deductibles. I am happy that I have yet to even use the plan. But I don't have to think of big bills to fix the e-diff or mag ride should such expensive items need repair.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I purchased two GMEPP plans from Dennis. One on my Cadillac and the other on my Silverado. I will get one on the Vette when the time comes (still too new). I have used the Cadillac plan once so far(zero deductible). No taxes no charges and received a loaner.
Even with my Caddy experience I still feel some degree of uncertainty about all of the extended service providers (even the GMEPP) that they would not leave me hanging sometime in the future. To me they are kind of like pyramid scheme. As long as they are making money selling new policies they seem to be covering claims. Let the well dry up or get out of balance with not enough coming in they can simply run to Bankruptcy Court and dump us all. Even with the GM in their name.
Just seems to be like everything else now a days.
I hope things get worked out for the Op.
VH

Quick Reply: GMEPP sucks