Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JerriVette

in my opinion your problem isn’t gmepp but rather your dealer working you over to get you to buy their warranty plan...

youve been played ..

find another dealer and keep gmepp would be my suggestion...

i know you wont believe me and I wish you good luck.
While I hope that isn't the case, I admit that I had a similar thought while reading about the incident. I've been around enough questionable dealers that something like that happening would not surprise me at all.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

This is the first I've heard of this type of issue. I have had three GMPP's in the past and will get a GMEPP on both the 16 7 and my 16 CTS4 when the time comes but it will always be a 0 deductible. Interested in what Dennis has to say.............
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

following, plan on getting one when time comes
Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by VH Vette
I purchased two GMEPP plans from Dennis. One on my Cadillac and the other on my Silverado. I will get one on the Vette when the time comes (still too new). I have used the Cadillac plan once so far(zero deductible). No taxes no charges and received a loaner.
Even with my Caddy experience I still feel some degree of uncertainty about all of the extended service providers (even the GMEPP) that they would not leave me hanging sometime in the future. To me they are kind of like pyramid scheme. As long as they are making money selling new policies they seem to be covering claims. Let the well dry up or get out of balance with not enough coming in they can simply run to Bankruptcy Court and dump us all. Even with the GM in their name.
Just seems to be like everything else now a days.
I hope things get worked out for the Op.
VH
You make some very good points in your second paragraph.

Added thoughts:
Just wondering: in the GMEPP brochure wording of what's EXCLUDED, is the belt listed?

Last edited by AORoads; 07-14-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'm in for Dennis' answer to this conundrum. I haven't had the need to use the plan I bought from Dennis, and am quite interested as I may need it one day. Good luck cooper, and keep us updated. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
rcooper (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I had the Ally program also, it was GMPP and they got it from GM and were licenced to use that name for a few more years while GM was undergoing their bankruptcy, I believe that the plan and agreement are now expired and that Ally is a separate "warranty" and you can purchase it from several dealers for a variety of cars. GMEPP was formed just a couple of years ago and was pushed off as a new GM warranty, which it is appearlanty not.
I had claims with the old GMPP and it was wonderful, got a tranny, $8500 and a few other items replaced without issue. Not so with GMEPP.
Hopefully for others I am the only one getting the shaft. I would hate to think of the number of Vette owners who have this warranty and might get messed over due to the GMEPP lies.
I never had a problem with the old GMPP and most recent experience was last December after Ally had purchased the warranty program. Not bought the new GMEPP yet for the 19 Z06 so so very distressed to hear this from the OP.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I just got my car back from the dealer having a bit of warranty work done. 48,000 miles on my '15 and the belt tensioner went out. The dealer called GMEPP and got the OK to fix it. They did the job and submitted the final bill, which was less than the estimate, to GMEPP. GMEPP said that they would only pay for the faulty part and not the damage it caused ( mostly destroying the belt) and that they don't pay the tax. They OK'ed $354.00 leaving me to pay the $100 deductible. When the dealer submitted the bill GMEPP said that they would pay $240 and that I owed the rest.
My GMEPP contract is for 75,000 miles and $100 deductible. So they lied about the "warranty" and the deductible. I had to use it a couple of months ago and they approved some suspension work need on the front stabilizer bar, cost me $100 and they paid the balance of about $220.
Now it is an automated system and you have to play hell to get a person. And the people that we talked to just laughed at us. This is BS, they are not affiliated with GM nor Chevrolet nor are they licenced by either. It is an independent company that bought the rights to use GM, Chev and a few other tags to draw business in. This company sucks and if you have them expect to be screwed over if you have a major claim.
I bought my from Dennis Fitchner and was treated well by him. Now I am going to PM him and tell him that he shoud quit selling this losey POS program. My dealership here in Austin dropped them today after the GM of the dealership spoke with the representative of GMEPP on the phone and was laughed at. NOT what you expect from a company selling aftermarket warranty through one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.
I, like many other, thought that this was a good program and assumed that it was affiliated with GM. It is not. My suggestion is find some other company and dump this company before you get steamrolled.
What are they laughing at them about? Need some context on why the conversation went from a business transaction to unprofessional laughing (unless they were provoked or asked something unreasonable)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by VH Vette
I purchased two GMEPP plans from Dennis. One on my Cadillac and the other on my Silverado. I will get one on the Vette when the time comes (still too new). I have used the Cadillac plan once so far(zero deductible). No taxes no charges and received a loaner.
Even with my Caddy experience I still feel some degree of uncertainty about all of the extended service providers (even the GMEPP) that they would not leave me hanging sometime in the future. To me they are kind of like pyramid scheme. As long as they are making money selling new policies they seem to be covering claims. Let the well dry up or get out of balance with not enough coming in they can simply run to Bankruptcy Court and dump us all. Even with the GM in their name.
Just seems to be like everything else now a days.
I hope things get worked out for the Op.
VH
I don't worry about GMEPP (now called "Chevrolet Protection Plan", at least this week) going out of business as much as I worry about all the other types of insurance, so necessary for most of us, that can either disappear or become unaffordable.

FWIW, we had GMPP on our 2001, 2006, and 2009. When the GMPP on the 2009 ran out, we extended by buying GMEPP. Now have GMEPP on the 2017 but haven't needed it (still under 3/36).
We've had a lot of repairs under those policies and the experience has always been seamless. If anything was denied, it was clearly listed in the contract when we purchased. When we first got the GMEPP on the 2009, a dealer who worked on the car and hadn't dealt with GMEPP, was very pleased and said it paid for more things and at higher rates than the old GMPP.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:06 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
I chose to buy the 0% deductible simply to avoid the possibility of a dealer fixing one item and not the other, causing me to get stuck with two deductibles. I am happy that I have yet to even use the plan. But I don't have to think of big bills to fix the e-diff or mag ride should such expensive items need repair.
If I understand it correctly you pay the deductible per dealer visit not per item needing fixing.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:47 AM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Most of the above discussion is focusing on the wrong thing. The major culprit is the repairing dealer billing. GMEPP doesn't pay tax on the repair because none is applicable in any US State. The service contract payment is tax exempt as resale because sales tax us collected when the policy is sold (unless it was sold in a no tax state). The service manager should know this. It's no different than GM reimbursing the Dealer for a warranty repair. The vehicle owner is obligated to pay tax on the deductible.

They are not paying for the belt because that part is specifically excluded in the policy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Citation:
Rebel Yell (07-15-2018), Red C8 of Jax (07-15-2018), rmorin1249 (07-16-2018), stevesvette (12-19-2019)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

in my opinion your problem isn’t gmepp but rather your dealer working you over to get you to buy their warranty plan...

youve been played ..

I have been with this dealer for several years and bought this C7 from them. They have always treated me with respect and gone out of their way to handle any issues with my car, my wife's also. I would be surprised if they are playing me....but any thing is possible. I rather doubt that they would risk future car sales for making a few hundred on an insurance program.
I think that they would stand to make more money off of a new C8 sale and possibly a new truck for my wife.
But as they say, "never say never".
Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Ok, Dennis replied to an email I sent him. His GM is going to follow up on this and see if I am getting "played" as suggested by JerriVette.
As to the belt, no it is not covered but there is wording in the contract that if another part is caused to fail by the warranted part then it is subject to replacement under warranty.
As to the tax issue I will have to check on that, as the prior claim that I had was covered, including the tax.
As to those that had the GMPP it was far better in my view. I had that on my 2009 and used it many times with out a hitch. That plan and the car were bought from 2 dealers, never had an issue with getting repairs from the selling dealer ( of the car ).
There are other programs out there to "warranty" your car. Some more costly some less, some will be better and some will be undoubtedly worse. What I am concerned about is the change in the approach that GMEPP took on this claim that caused me to get messed around. When I was checking on plans my service advisor recommended the GMEPP plan telling me that it was good, easy to work with. This same service advisor is now the service manager and he is the one that started having trouble getting the car work paid for.
One thing I have issue with is the comment made to the GMEPP people by management at the dealership, that you are representing GM, Chey and you are not fulfilling your "warranty" agreement to us( this is where the GMEPP employee laughed at the dealership ). When the work estimate was presented to them they OK'ed the work, when it came time to pay they altered their agreement. They OK'ed one price and then would not pay for that work, and the actual repair came in under the estimated cost.
As this continues along I will keep the post updated. 7/16/18 10:45 am
The following 3 users liked this post by rcooper:
bimmerborn (07-16-2018), NSC5 (07-16-2018), Rebel Yell (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Reponse

Not much to add other than I have sold close to 4000 of these plans and have only had 1 customer experience and he bought from a previous rep here at the dealership and was not told about the 1,000 mile waiting period thus he only had 800 miles on his car in a year and a half and his claim was denied so I was the bad guy and knew nothing of this customer even having a warranty since it was before my time. I have sent all of Mr Coopers emails to my General Motors Rep for warranties and he is escalading it to the top of his chain so they can get with AMT and get to the bottom of this. I only sell what I have been told are GM plans since they would not put their Chevrolet Bow Tie on the policy showing Chevrolet Protection Plan if they did not have any input into this. I have been extremely busy this morning due to Monday and have finally gotten thru my 82 emails from the weekend. Hopefully all turns out well, I am as upset as Mr Cooper as to the treatment but again I just sell these and don't administer claims for them.
The following 8 users liked this post by Dennis Fichtner:
AaronZ51 (08-17-2019), bimmerborn (07-16-2018), jimmbbo (08-16-2019), jimmie jam (07-17-2018), rckt (08-16-2019), Rebel Yell (07-17-2018), Rossi6998 (07-20-2018), stevesvette (12-19-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

youve been played ..

I am willing to bet that you're right. Most dealers like to sell their in house extended warranty plans, especially if they're a dealer group that can pool all the money made from them. I've been with GM for nearly 20 years and the new GMEPP product is not hardly different than the previous GMPP or any similar plan. GM Financial backs these, but GM does rely on a third party to administer the calls, claims etc. GM didn't see the need to create another level of customer service just to handle phone calls so they use a third party that several other brand of warranty also use. They administer more than just this warranty and that's all they do.

The contract, especially if you purchased the platinum version, is pretty clear on what's not covered and there is a chance the subsequent damage wasn't covered. I bet that your dealers did not do their part to get the stuff covered and is trying to make you seem better off if you purchase their extended contract.

I had the Ally program also, it was GMPP and they got it from GM and were licenced to use that name for a few more years while GM was undergoing their bankruptcy, I believe that the plan and agreement are now expired and that Ally is a separate "warranty" and you can purchase it from several dealers for a variety of cars. GMEPP was formed just a couple of years ago and was pushed off as a new GM warranty, which it is appearlanty not.
I had claims with the old GMPP and it was wonderful, got a tranny, $8500 and a few other items replaced without issue. Not so with GMEPP.
Hopefully for others I am the only one getting the shaft. I would hate to think of the number of Vette owners who have this warranty and might get messed over due to the GMEPP lies.
You're correct. One thing about the GMEPP plan is they always use factory parts. The current Ally plans do not have to use factory parts and we've had several claims that required us to use aftermarket re-manufactured parts, even on Corvettes.

We sell a lot of the GMEPP warranties and we submit a lot of claims using them. I would rate them just as high as any other previous version, but I will say that a lot has to do with how you handle the claims, especially costly ones. If an adjust shows up, treat him like a respected human being and allow him to do his job. Show them the failure and make sure they agree before leaving and submitting their report.

If people think the GMEPP plans are bad, you should check out some that are offered by Car Max, Fidelity and other real third party companies.

-Rich
The following 6 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
AaronZ51 (08-17-2019), JerriVette (07-16-2018), RapidC84B (08-22-2019), Rebel Yell (07-17-2018), Red C8 of Jax (07-16-2018), stevesvette (12-19-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It's not a laughing matter, so I won't say I read the GMEPP Platinum Plan----what's covered, and what's not covered---for giggles. But a BELT tensioner has a belt on it. If a BELT tensioner is covered, and breaks and thus incidentally causes a belt failure, it just seems to me the parts are related---BELT and BELT tensioner. One is covered, one is not. But the one not covered---the belt--- was broken by the broken covered item---the belt tensioner.

And the Platinum Plan clearly states if something else is broken by a covered part, that uncovered part is/will be replaced. That is, unless the dealer said otherwise which I doubt.

Edit: Just so we're all "on the same page." here's the wording at the bottom of the Platinum Plan's Non-Covered Parts.

"Unless required in connection with a covered part we will not pay for: engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads/linings and brake shoes/rotors, manual clutch disc, vehicle manufacturer recommended maintenance services and parts."

Last edited by AORoads; 07-16-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Rebel Yell (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said OP, go to a different dealer. Dealer's are an important piece of the warranty puzzle. I would try a different dealer before dumping GMEPP and buying an in-house warranty. Hope you get this sorted out.
JerriVette (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:58 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I have GMEPP that I bought from Dennis and had the belt tensioner replaced at my dealer. No problem.
JerriVette (07-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GMEPP sucks

Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

This doesn't need to be a big fight. The OP just needs to point out to the repairing dealer that the amount paid by GMEPP is not taxable. Most likely the service department will check and say oh yes you're right. Same on the belt, the initial decline is because the belt is specifically excluded in the policy but if the service manager or vehicle owner calls the claim department and points out its a casualty of the part that is covered, good chance GMEPP will agree to it. This doesn't have to escalate into a heated discussion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Citation:
Cirrus8 (07-17-2018), jimmie jam (07-17-2018), stevesvette (12-19-2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I am willing to bet that you're right. Most dealers like to sell their in house extended warranty plans, especially if they're a dealer group that can pool all the money made from them. I've been with GM for nearly 20 years and the new GMEPP product is not hardly different than the previous GMPP or any similar plan. GM Financial backs these, but GM does rely on a third party to administer the calls, claims etc. GM didn't see the need to create another level of customer service just to handle phone calls so they use a third party that several other brand of warranty also use. They administer more than just this warranty and that's all they do.

The contract, especially if you purchased the platinum version, is pretty clear on what's not covered and there is a chance the subsequent damage wasn't covered. I bet that your dealers did not do their part to get the stuff covered and is trying to make you seem better off if you purchase their extended contract.

You're correct. One thing about the GMEPP plan is they always use factory parts. The current Ally plans do not have to use factory parts and we've had several claims that required us to use aftermarket re-manufactured parts, even on Corvettes.

We sell a lot of the GMEPP warranties and we submit a lot of claims using them. I would rate them just as high as any other previous version, but I will say that a lot has to do with how you handle the claims, especially costly ones. If an adjust shows up, treat him like a respected human being and allow him to do his job. Show them the failure and make sure they agree before leaving and submitting their report.

If people think the GMEPP plans are bad, you should check out some that are offered by Car Max, Fidelity and other real third party companies.

-Rich
Rich,

I always appreciate your straightforward and detailed responses. Your dealership is great and I've recommended both your service and warranty plans many times. As some Forum members are aware, Dennis can't sell warranties in CA. Also, thanks to your service department for ensuring that my recent oil change was done correctly and in a timely manner. My friends and I drive quite a distance just to use your service department.
The following 2 users liked this post by FunDriver:
RichieRichZ06 (07-17-2018), stevesvette (12-19-2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

A lot of what is happening could be due to a Service Writer that doesn't understand how to bill the repair. I have run into that many times. We have plenty of people who have had lots of problems getting the MRC Upgrade due to Service Writers not understanding what the program is. The sales tax issue could be because the person didn't enter the proper code so the repair was tax exempt. They could have messed up the entry to the plan by entering the tensioner replacement as one job and the belt replacement as another job. Once things like that get submitted they take on a life of their own while everything gets sorted out.
Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
iw172 (07-19-2018), probono (07-17-2018)

Quick Reply: GMEPP sucks