Powerstop brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:29 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
LOL

I live in Texas, so I guess it's cow manure building up on my rotors!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I had them on my Z51 and they certainly did discolor my rotors. And they didn't need to just be washed. Man people sure get pissy around here just because others have a different experience or opinion!

Other than turning my rotors brown, I think the Powerstops were just fine for street use. I do believe they had a little less bite than stock pads, but I got used to it. I put 15,000 miles on them and they absolutely had hardly any dust and I loved that.

To each their own, it doesn't **** me off if someone buys Powerstops! Who the F cares!?!?!?

I'm going with Carbotech this time on my GS. Doesn't mean I think anyone that uses powerstops are a dumbass or anything.
Good Post! My sentiments exactly, although expressed a bit differently!

I actually present facts as I observe them but don't have any misapprehension I will change the opinion of many of "the vocal minority who post on a Thread." As you say, some "people sure get pissy around here just because others have a different experience or opinion!" Expected!

However this Thread is like most, there are ~40 vocal minority who have posted (some of us multiple times) versus the ~1600 silent majority who have viewed this thread. That is who I post for and from PM's I get I'm confident there are a number who appreciate facts as they make their decision of what they want to do.

And I agree, it's there car and there decision!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-03-2018 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:39 AM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I need to get new pads as Car has stock and only 900 miles on it. Looking donfo next month.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Look at my posts (particularly #44) on this Thread and understand your options.

(900 miles isn't much BUT would still use 3M abrasive pads and clean the current pad material that is embedded on both sides of the rotors.

If you want a detail install PDF mine has 3 C7 pad installs covered plus lots of brake pad info: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Lots of install pics-it's easy.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:32 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a question for those that complain about cold performance. How cold are you talking? Bellow freezing? 50, 60? I live in SoCal and haven't experienced that issue with my Power Stops, so it would helpful if you could be a bit more specific. I also don't have brown rotors.

Phil

Last edited by phil hunter; 09-03-2018 at 10:32 AM.
spinkick (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

How much more are the other expensive pads vs powerstops? Is there a difference between them and powerstops? Initial bite maybe more? What else? How cold are we talking for stopping. I dont drive my car under 40 degrees, its my toy, are you guys driving in the winter having lots of problems with powerstops? I'm good for people blowing money on things, but I think the main argument here is, why pay more for the same thing?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3
Is this better photos taken the same day and same rotor !!!!
If you'll pardon me for editing your photos, here is a composite of the two where I tried to balance Photo #2 (right) based on the tone of the plywood on the floor and the floor jack on Photo #1 (left). The balance is overall, so while the plywood is a bit warmer on the right the jack is cooler.

If you'll notice, the reflections on the two photos do not match and #1 clearly has some warmer (yellower) reflections showing that Photo #2 does not. Other sections of the two photos seem to match fairly well in color tone. Also, how can you take a before-after photo of a rotor on the same day to reflect how a brake pad is tinting it? I would think you'd need day or weeks for the effects to show up, so what was your procedure for demonstrating the claimed rotor yellowing? Did they yellow after driving it on the same day? I'm not doubting that they might but am merely curious.

Another observation is that the plywood, jack, and jack stand all seem to be in the exact same location relative to each other. Notice the grain on the plywood and foot of the jack stand, as well as the angle on the jack arm relative to the base. With that said, how did you take the before photo, take the car out for a test drive, jack the car up, and have these items in the exact same position? If I were to look only at the photos with no description I would say the two photos were taken at the same time with the camera positioned slightly different. The color tone difference could be nothing more than shifting clouds.

Please pardon my pickiness, but some things just pique my curiosity!

Last edited by iclick; 09-03-2018 at 11:53 AM.
smajicek (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by phil hunter
I have a question for those that complain about cold performance. How cold are you talking? Bellow freezing? 50, 60? I live in SoCal and haven't experienced that issue with my Power Stops, so it would helpful if you could be a bit more specific. I also don't have brown rotors.

Phil
Great question..... What does "cold braking" actually mean? In NE FL we do go down to the 30-40F range occasionally. Is there a temperature of the brakes below which they exhibit this reduction in bite or performance? Let's just get the engineering data on the table so a reasonable judgement can be made.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spinkick
How much more are the other expensive pads vs powerstops? Is there a difference between them and powerstops? Initial bite maybe more? What else? How cold are we talking for stopping. I dont drive my car under 40 degrees, its my toy, are you guys driving in the winter having lots of problems with powerstops? I'm good for people blowing money on things, but I think the main argument here is, why pay more for the same thing?
Originally Posted by Submerge
Great question..... What does "cold braking" actually mean? In NE FL we do go down to the 30-40F range occasionally. Is there a temperature of the brakes below which they exhibit this reduction in bite or performance? (YEP!) Let's just get the engineering data on the table so a reasonable judgement can be made.
See Below!
Understand some don't like to read my long posts but they are easy for me, I just copy info! That is what I did in post #44 just copied the info from the Carbotech website!

Cold pad performance has little to do with the outside temp, it's the brake pad temp that matters.

Here is some data from Post #44:

Carbotech 1521 Street Pads... Min 50/75F to 900F
Race Pad Xp8..... Min 200F to 1250 F
Race Pad RP2 …...Min 250 F to 1450 F
Race Pad XP21 …..Min 400F to 2000F
PowerStop No Data Provided to 1500 F

You can fill in the Low Temp number as PowerStop does not provide it! Just look at a quality pad company that supplies pads for many race cars as well as street pads for many cars. When they are achieving good stopping at 1450 F (that is glowing red) the Min temps for those pads are 250F. The pads must be warm which is no problem when racing. Typical of life, everything is a compromise! If you want good room temp pad stopping you can't expect super very high temp pad stops.

That 400F min for good stopping for the XP21 pads that can stop when glowing almost white hot reminds me of the metallic brakes I had on my '67 Chevy! Best press real hard and pray to stop when cold in reverse! That was fine for racing as the pads get hot quickly. Well know for folks who race where it's a none issue.

Your Car Your Choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by spinkick
I live in Texas and it's pretty warm here so I drive year round. When outside temps are 90-100 and they still don't feel the same, I think it's enough to consider something else.

The price difference is significant, $130 a set for powerstop and $440 a set for carbotech
Old 09-03-2018, 07:25 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Who ever says the Powerstops are junk either gets a cut from pads that carry a HCT (heavy corvette tax) 4 times the price or didn't put them on right.
I shut down from 150 mph with them just as fast as any stock pad another misnomer. I have them right now on two Corvette's. Plus the pictures? Just wash the dam the rotors off another crock of BS about brown rotors which is the power stop dust least is not everywhere else on your car like the other dust is just wash them
takes a long while to get them brown!
Of course if never you wash your car or the
wheels they look bad! Power stop disc's washed! They cannot and don't discolor the rotors! Thanks for playing you guys!
I never said that Power Stop had a problem with stopping or noise. The bronzing that discolored my rotor happened after i installed their pads. This has been going on for over a year. I first got Z23 pads and with in weeks my rotors started to discolor. I returned them and got Z26 pads and the same problem. It does not wash off. The only way to get it off is sanding. I found that using Scotch-Brite Pads and my mouse sander will remove it. After weeks trying to contact Power Stop by e-mail and phone the tech said it is rust but he would send me Z17 pads. Well they did the same thing but took months to happen. I gave up cleaned my rotors again and put Carbotech pads on. It is now over a month and my rotors are still look good no Bronzing. And by the way i paid full price for the Carbotech pads and my car has never been driven in the rain and rarely washed with water. Detail Spray and Micro Fiber Towels and Swiffer Dusters for the wheels. Power Stop Pads ave JUNK !!!!!

This photo is from 2 days ago
JerryU (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:04 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by iclick

If you'll pardon me for editing your photos, here is a composite of the two where I tried to balance Photo #2 (right) based on the tone of the plywood on the floor and the floor jack on Photo #1 (left). The balance is overall, so while the plywood is a bit warmer on the right the jack is cooler.

If you'll notice, the reflections on the two photos do not match and #1 clearly has some warmer (yellower) reflections showing that Photo #2 does not. Other sections of the two photos seem to match fairly well in color tone. Also, how can you take a before-after photo of a rotor on the same day to reflect how a brake pad is tinting it? I would think you'd need day or weeks for the effects to show up, so what was your procedure for demonstrating the claimed rotor yellowing? Did they yellow after driving it on the same day? I'm not doubting that they might but am merely curious.

Another observation is that the plywood, jack, and jack stand all seem to be in the exact same location relative to each other. Notice the grain on the plywood and foot of the jack stand, as well as the angle on the jack arm relative to the base. With that said, how did you take the before photo, take the car out for a test drive, jack the car up, and have these items in the exact same position? If I were to look only at the photos with no description I would say the two photos were taken at the same time with the camera positioned slightly different. The color tone difference could be nothing more than shifting clouds.

Please pardon my pickiness, but some things just pique my curiosity!
I do not know what your problem is with my photos is but i can tell you is i jacked my car up removed both rear wheels took the first photo. Then removed the discoloration on both rear rotors ( about 1 hr with Scotch-Brite pads and my mouse sander ) then took the second photo. The front rotors discolored more than the rear but i do not have before and after photos of the front.

Left Front Rotor before cleaning. Power Stop Pads
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a 2018 GS that I never take to the track. I got tired of the brake dust with the OEM Brembo pads and changed them out for Powerstop Z26 pads. They work fine for my driving and SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the brake dust without breaking the bank. I'm happy with my choice.

Just the facts regarding my experience.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:22 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Who ever says the Powerstops are junk either gets a cut from pads that carry a HCT (heavy corvette tax) 4 times the price or didn't put them on right.
I shut down from 150 mph with them just as fast as any stock pad another misnomer. I have them right now on two Corvette's. Plus the pictures? Just wash the dam the rotors off another crock of BS about brown rotors which is the power stop dust least is not everywhere else on your car like the other dust is just wash them
wheels they look bad! Power stop disc's washed! They cannot and don't discolor the rotors! Thanks for playing you guys!
Who ever says the Powerstops are junk either gets a cut from pads that carry a HCT (heavy corvette tax) 4 times the price or (didn't put them on right) From your quote tell me how i did not put them on right !!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Submerge
What does "cold braking" actually mean? Let's just get the engineering data on the table so a reasonable judgement can be made.
Made these pics so it's clear "cold pad performance" has little to do with the outside temp!

The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (09-04-2018), wrecker3 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:58 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

It does seem odd how the same guys keep championing the pads that cost 4x as much and over exaggerate how bad power stops supposedly are. Maybe several years ago power stops had quality issues and they got bad pads, or maybe there are other reasons these guys keep slamming them, but I'll say again - Ive had zero problems with mine - no browning of the rotors and no noticeable difference in stopping power. And I've used power stops on other vehicles over the years and had no problems.

I get the whole corvette tax thing, but why pay 4x as much for pads that in no way, shape or form offer 4x the performance?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wrecker3
I do not know what your problem is with my photos is but i can tell you is i jacked my car up removed both rear wheels took the first photo. Then removed the discoloration on both rear rotors ( about 1 hr with Scotch-Brite pads and my mouse sander ) then took the second photo. The front rotors discolored more than the rear but i do not have before and after photos of the front.
I don't doubt that you saw some discoloration as you've described and tried to document it accurately with your photos, but most owners with these pads appear to not have this problem, including me. After reading early threads on this subject I thought I might've seen a bit in mine a the time, but if there was any at all it wasn't noticeable. I certainly would not have seen it had I not read about it here, and it definitely isn't there now 17 months after installation.

Get notified of new replies

To Powerstop brake pads

Old 09-04-2018, 01:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
It does seem odd how the same guys keep championing the pads that cost 4x as much and over exaggerate how bad power stops supposedly are. Maybe several years ago power stops had quality issues and they got bad pads, or maybe there are other reasons these guys keep slamming them, but I'll say again - Ive had zero problems with mine - no browning of the rotors and no noticeable difference in stopping power. And I've used power stops on other vehicles over the years and had no problems.

I get the whole corvette tax thing, but why pay 4x as much for pads that in no way, shape or form offer 4x the performance?
Hmm, that "same guy" gets asked a question (re what is cold temp?) and tried his best to answer! Glad your happy with PowerStops! When looking at their website they sell pads for VW's Camaro's etc etc at the same price so it's NOT Corvette tax!

As I say "To Each Their Own" only trying to provide info for the silent majority who view these posts (now up to ~2000 versus the vocal minority that post, ~40, which includes myself with several!) Their car their choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-04-2018 at 01:06 PM.
wrecker3 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Maybe several years ago power stops had quality issues and they got bad pads, or maybe there are other reasons these guys keep slamming them, but I'll say again - Ive had zero problems with mine - no browning of the rotors and no noticeable difference in stopping power.
It's also occurred to me that those who reported performance issues might've had some pad grease leach out onto the rotor. That likely would've worked its way out in time, but if they became disenchanted and changed to another brand soon thereafter it might've been construed as poorly performing pads. Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by iclick
It's also occurred to me that those who reported performance issues might've had some pad grease leach out onto the rotor. That likely would've worked its way out in time, but if they became disenchanted and changed to another brand soon thereafter it might've been construed as poorly performing pads. Just a thought.
I used them for 15k miles and it was pretty consistent. I don't care if others use powerstop, doesn't bother me, I just share my experience with them is all. I think I probably got a set that were defective, old or something. They made my rotors brown, they didn't work as well as stock, and during paced laps at NCM Motorsport Park, they did not work well after 12 minutes of light to moderate 'track' time, if you can even call it that since we were behind the pace car. They are certainly not suited for hard driving on track or street in my opinion, but I also think the carbotech 1521 are not for track either. They are both intended for street use only from what I recall.

Last edited by Marcho Polo; 09-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Powerstop brake pads