Powerstop brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I used them for 15k miles and it was pretty consistent. I don't care if others use powerstop, doesn't bother me, I just share my experience with them is all. I think I probably got a set that were defective, old or something. They made my rotors brown, they didn't work as well as stock, and during paced laps at NCM Motorsport Park, they did not work well after 12 minutes of light to moderate 'track' time, if you can even call it that since we were behind the pace car. They are certainly not suited for hard driving on track or street in my opinion, but I also think the carbotech 1521 are not for track either. They are both intended for street use only from what I recall.
I don't care what folks do either. There car their choice! I am just providing info like the pictures in post #75. It clearly shows that Carbotech 1521 are not for racing, they have about 5 other ceramic compound racing pads depending on if you are doing auto crossing or all out racing where they offer pads that can handle 2000F rotor temps. However those pads, like many race pads, need to be at 400F to stop well!

Side Bar-Quality Control:
The issue with quality control IMO is what might cause excess iron, which probably caused the brown stain on the rotors. I'll repeat the possible issue briefly.

When I managed a welding materials R&D Lab and we used sand and bauxite to make welding fluxes. The open pit mine where the sand came from was very interesting. I passed it often on my way to the 1/4 miles drag strip in Thompson Ohio. There were areas with pure white sand and most with the brown sand used for concrete etc. That brown is caused by iron impurities. Mother Nature does not make pure ores! We paid about 3 times the price as I recall for a chemically checked product with guaranteed low "tramp element" levels, like iron. I also recall that company had an even "cleaner product spec" they sold to silicon chip manufacturers who refined it further. It was even more expensive.

I also recall we bought bauxite, and ore that has a high amount of aluminum oxide. It's what is used to make aluminum. We use it in welding fluxes. Just like the sand example, it comes with impurities and Iron compounds are some. We paid over twice the price for bauxite from Australia than we could have from China becasueof the variability in Chinese bauxite.

Yep the rotor color could well be a batch issue. Not only did we specify and get a chemical analysis from the supplier, the flux manufacturing plant was required to chemically check each batch purchased to see that it met our specification! That is NOT cheap! But that is required to make quality, consistent products.

From the high pad temp published by PowerStop, IMO the cold pad performance is inherent in that product- using there own data. I did this research to try an understand why I was tossing $125 pads (with sales tax) out and replacing them with Carbotech 1521 pads I knew worked on my 2014 Z51. I didn't toss the PowerStop pads because I like changing brake pads! I paid for both sets! Fortunately the PowerStop pads were so cheap it really didn't bother me to toss them to get the cold pad perforce I need in my somewhat unique situation. After all it's a >$60,000 car

Just Sayn'!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-04-2018 at 04:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (09-04-2018), wrecker3 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

This is a photo from my C7 with Power Stop Z26 pads after about 500 miles !!!! I found this on my laptop.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:55 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

An interesting test for those who have not installed their power stops would be to put them on the front only and drive for a while, then compare to the rear rotors and see if there is any discoloration.

Last edited by jtranger; 09-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
It's also occurred to me that those who reported performance issues might've had some pad grease leach out onto the rotor. That likely would've worked its way out in time, but if they became disenchanted and changed to another brand soon thereafter it might've been construed as poorly performing pads. Just a thought.
That's not it (and I didn't use any grease)

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
It does seem odd how the same guys keep championing the pads that cost 4x as much and over exaggerate how bad power stops supposedly are. Maybe several years ago power stops had quality issues and they got bad pads, or maybe there are other reasons these guys keep slamming them, but I'll say again - Ive had zero problems with mine - no browning of the rotors and no noticeable difference in stopping power. And I've used power stops on other vehicles over the years and had no problems.
I get the whole corvette tax thing, but why pay 4x as much for pads that in no way, shape or form offer 4x the performance?
I got my pads 2 months ago. The guys who think they didn't lose any performance aren't the guys driving their cars hard.

Performance isn't linear with cost either.

Originally Posted by JerryU
Made these pics so it's clear "cold pad performance" has little to do with the outside temp!

LMFAO at using Power Stop pads like a real track/race pad.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

LOL@ driving street pads "not hard enough" on the street. Come on dude. 1500 degrees? Maybe in the mountains somewhere I guess? Mexico?

Sounds like you need track pads for the street, if you drive that hard. Stick with the oem's

Last edited by spinkick; 09-05-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I have PowerStops for daily driving. Virtually zero dust, it's wonderful. The initial bite is definitely not as strong as the OEM Brembo's and definitely not recommended for the track. When I do a track day, I throw the Brembo's back on. Next time, PowerStops go back in. $100 for pads that give off no brake dust and still stop well is fine. I had 1521's and I felt the dust was not much improved. But anyone thinking they can run the regular PowerStops at the track must be on crack. No such thing as no brake dust/race/track pad.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:57 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
That's not it (and I didn't use any grease)

I got my pads 2 months ago. The guys who think they didn't lose any performance aren't the guys driving their cars hard.

Performance isn't linear with cost either.

LMFAO at using Power Stop pads like a real track/race pad.
If you're driving your car so hard that you're seeing a huge difference in braking, one, you shouldn't be using street pads, and two, you shouldn't be driving like that on regular streets...
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by wrecker3
This is a photo from my C7 with Power Stop Z26 pads after about 500 miles !!!! I found this on my laptop.

Clearly the pads you were using were browning your rotors - either you got bad pads or back then the company was making shitty pads.

But again, me and a bunch of other people are saying right now, the power stops are not browning rotors. And if someone wants to test their stopping power vs competing brands that cost 4x as much, I'm willing to bet big that the difference is minimal, if any.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:01 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by nikeair042
I have PowerStops for daily driving. Virtually zero dust, it's wonderful. The initial bite is definitely not as strong as the OEM Brembo's and definitely not recommended for the track. When I do a track day, I throw the Brembo's back on. Next time, PowerStops go back in. $100 for pads that give off no brake dust and still stop well is fine. I had 1521's and I felt the dust was not much improved. But anyone thinking they can run the regular PowerStops at the track must be on crack. No such thing as no brake dust/race/track pad.
I haven't seen anyone saying you can or should run power stops on a track...
Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

If you're driving your car so hard that you're seeing a huge difference in braking, one, you shouldn't be using street pads, and two, you shouldn't be driving like that on regular streets...
Lol what? Because I can notice the difference between shitty low dust Chinese pads and a good set of brembo pads, I shouldn't drive on the streets?

Originally Posted by spinkick
LOL@ driving street pads "not hard enough" on the street. Come on dude. 1500 degrees? Maybe in the mountains somewhere I guess? Mexico?

Sounds like you need track pads for the street, if you drive that hard. Stick with the oem's
You're missing the point. I'm not saying you see 1500 on the street. I'm saying that figure is bullshit and there is nothing to derive from it. I wouldn't want OEM pads at 1500 degrees either.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Powerstop Track Day Pads

Why not use the Powerstop Track Day Pads on the Track??

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Why not Powerstop TrackDay Pads?

I haven't seen anyone saying you can or should run power stops on a track...
Why not use Powerstop Track Day pads on track?
They work.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:42 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dfettero
Why not use Powerstop Track Day pads on track?
They work.
Mostly the fear of death, but damaging my car too. I don't want a low dust track pad. I want one that will maintain a predictable coefficient of friction from lap 1 to lap 15.

They don't make them for the C7 anyway, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:14 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Using Powerstop Z-26 No Browning

I have Powerstop Z-26 pads and DBA 4000 rotors on my 2016 Stingray with no browning and very low dust.
I have run the Powerstop Trackday pads on the track with no browning, no fading.

It does seem odd how the same guys keep championing the pads that cost 4x as much and over exaggerate how bad power stops supposedly are. Maybe several years ago power stops had quality issues and they got bad pads, or maybe there are other reasons these guys keep slamming them, but I'll say again - Ive had zero problems with mine - no browning of the rotors and no noticeable difference in stopping power. And I've used power stops on other vehicles over the years and had no problems.

I get the whole corvette tax thing, but why pay 4x as much for pads that in no way, shape or form offer 4x the performance?
Old 09-06-2018, 01:19 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Powerstop Trackday pads exist & create dust but not bad

Powerstop Trackday pads create dust but its not too bad. Have even left them on car between back to back weekend events.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/track-day-brake-pads/

Mostly the fear of death, but damaging my car too. I don't want a low dust track pad. I want one that will maintain a predictable coefficient of friction from lap 1 to lap 15.

They don't make them for the C7 anyway, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:22 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Powerstop Track Day Pads Exist

https://www.powerstop.com/product/track-day-brake-pads/

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I used them for 15k miles and it was pretty consistent. I don't care if others use powerstop, doesn't bother me, I just share my experience with them is all. I think I probably got a set that were defective, old or something. They made my rotors brown, they didn't work as well as stock, and during paced laps at NCM Motorsport Park, they did not work well after 12 minutes of light to moderate 'track' time, if you can even call it that since we were behind the pace car. They are certainly not suited for hard driving on track or street in my opinion, but I also think the carbotech 1521 are not for track either. They are both intended for street use only from what I recall.

Get notified of new replies

To Powerstop brake pads

Old 09-06-2018, 02:00 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Lol what? Because I can notice the difference between shitty low dust Chinese pads and a good set of brembo pads, I shouldn't drive on the streets?

You're missing the point. I'm not saying you see 1500 on the street. I'm saying that figure is bullshit and there is nothing to derive from it. I wouldn't want OEM pads at 1500 degrees either.
LOL no... because with normal driving on the street there is no vast difference between power stops and the brembos, except for a ****-ton of dust.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

LOL no... because with normal driving on the street there is no vast difference between power stops and the brembos, except for a ****-ton of dust.
I disagree. There is very noticeable difference in braking power. You have to push the brake much harder and maintain pressure longer. Pedal feel is complete crap. Only with the trade off because I have light colored wheels. If I had black or any of the metal colors (brushed, unpainted, pearl, etc) I wouldn't swap.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by dfettero
I have Powerstop Z-26 pads and DBA 4000 rotors on my 2016 Stingray with no browning and very low dust.
I have run the Powerstop Trackday pads on the track with no browning, no fading.
It's amazing that you are still alive, because with the way some are talking about the power stops, they're such a downgrade that you're almost guaranteed to end up inside a tree...

Quick Reply: Powerstop brake pads