C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need vacation ideas and how to protect the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by joseanMD
I would like to schedule a road trip the GF and take my C7 2019 Vette. However, I am a bit concerned on a few items perhaps you can help me! I live in Maryland near Baltimore.
The 2 main questions are:
1. What is a fantastic vacation place to go drive with the Vette?
2. What type of precautions should I make so that the car can be parked in a safe location and nothing happens to my new Corvette?
Please advise! I sure can use my Corvette Forum brother's help on this one!
MANY THANKS! -J
We need pics of GF. I can't believe there's this many replies in OT without that request.

Before I answer your specific questions (probably in the morning), I have two questions for you.

1) When are you going on this vacation? Recommended destinations would vary greatly depending on what time of the year. As just one example, Florida beaches are great in the winter (although they double the prices everywhere), super hot in the summer, and because school is out, family vacations, some areas are high priced during the summer as well, plus having to deal with "other peoples kids" running around everywhere. Best time for Florida is April-May and October-November.

2) More important as to whether the C7 is appropriate, how does the GF feel about riding long times in the C7. If she complains about the ride, the seats are not comfortable, or it's just a pain getting in and out, a long trip won't be pleasant. It's not the car, it's the passenger, but you have to please her, too.

General advice, if you go road trip (in either the C7 or a rental of any kind), plan your route loosely, and plan on driving 200 to 300 miles per day. Allow a "slack day" or two on the way to any major destination. You can drive twice that or more if you absolutely have to be somewhere, but you'll be worn out when you get there and it's no fun. The Internet is great for finding "touristy" things to do along the way and even interesting activities to share, whether it's golf, a beach, or sloshing through mud "mining" gemstones or panning for gold somewhere. The "slack day(s)" is/are specifically when something grabs your interest and you want to spend more time in some area along the way.

A "road trip" vacation is far more fun if you take your time along the way than if you make it a mad dash to get to a specific place where you sit for a week, then a mad dash home. For that kind of vacation, plane tickets and a rental (or even Ubers) are a much better choice.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 PM
hammong
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll throw my two cents' in on this -- we just drove round trip from Maryland to Disney World and back, and the road conditions were the best we've seen in the last 5 trips down there. As for Maryland into Virginia, we actually went 301 instead of going around the Capital beltway and I-95. It's a little more scenic, a few red lights, and you have to drive through Marlboro -- but it still beats the NoVA and MD eastern part of I-495.

One really nice thing about Disney is all of the resort parking lots are secured with a guard/gate house, and most are monitored via CCTV.. No casual riff-raff driving around looking to break into cars, at least no casual riff-raff that isn't already paying $200+ a night to stay there and has a room key.

If you're looking for something "closer" - the roads out I-70, I-68 towards West Virginia are great, and the mountains are fun with the Vette.

Greg
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
We need pics of GF. I can't believe there's this many replies in OT without that request.

Perhaps because this is C7 Gen.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Stay away from MLK Blvd.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

here's a thought. Schedule your Corvette 2 day owners school at Spring Mountain.
Discount is over $ 1100 as I recall. Great accommodations at the track with two free meals/day
Drive on out US40 in your new Corvette.
Optional stops at 'The Corner" on Rt 66 in Winslow AZ and a 80 mile stretch of RT 66 from Ash Fork to Kingman AZ
You get two days to thrash on their cars, not yours and GF has opportunity to ride along with the instructor.
Just a couple hours from vegas if that appeals to you.
Then stops at Zion NP, Bryce canyon and Arches, all in Utah
then straight shot back on us 70.
Probably need two weeks to do it right. Figure 5000 miles.
I would recommend Xpel the front bumper and the rockers at a minimum.
This is what I did with my 2016 Z51.
A very memorable trip.

Last edited by blueray16; 07-17-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Depending on how far you want to drive. Took mine from Chicago to the Outer Banks and Maine on separate trips. I just got back from the Black Hills of South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc.) and I only WISHED I had my Vette along for the ride through those hilly roads!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I would like to schedule a road trip the GF and take my C7 2019 Vette. However, I am a bit concerned on a few items perhaps you can help me! I live in Maryland near Baltimore.
2. What type of precautions should I make so that the car can be parked in a safe location and nothing happens to my new Corvette?
MANY THANKS! -J
Just take off and ride. I just drive mines from Dallas to Chicago and got 29 mpg.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Many thanks!!!!

Brothers a million thanks to all of you for your kind responses!! I have been away from my computer to digest everything but just checking phone your responses are well received and very welcomed!!
thanks again to all of you!
The following 2 users liked this post by joseanMD:
Hopper12 (07-18-2018), Rebel Yell (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

My suggestions, get you a Novistretch Bra and take off. Park the car in a well lighted area, and forget about it until you're ready to go the next day. Mind you it took me several days to actually do that, but when I finally did my trip got much better. If something happen, and that's unlikely, you have insurance. In our many road trips since 2010 the only problems I've had (knock wood ) is a little road rash on a couple trips, and that was expected on all the trips. Just apply a little common sense, and all should be well. There's nothing like a road trip in a C7, so get out there and enjoy the ride.

My trip suggestion is pick up the Shenandoah Skyline Drive out of Virginia, and take it into North Carolina where it turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway. Work your way over to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN area. The tail of the Dragon is just out of Pigeon Forge if you are interested. Along the way you have many areas that are beautiful, and interesting, i.e. The Biltmore House in Asheville, NC, Blowing Rock and Boone, N.C. The ride on the Skyline, and the Parkway is one of the most beautiful rides on the east coast IMHO. They both twist, and turn with the landscape, and at each turn the scenery is breath taking. The thing I like about the eastern mountain areas in the summer is the temps are usually up to 10 degrees lower, and the Humidity is a bit less. It makes for some great top down/off driving.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 07-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM
BLACKCREEK
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Epic roadtrip... Mid to late October drive the mountain chain south for all the colors. Hit deals gap then pop out around Greenville SC and head for the beaches. Hop down the coast until you hit Key Largo then pop the top and island hop to Key West for a couple nights. The wife and I love the trip to Key West and have done it numerous times out of Jacksonville. October to mid november is probably the sweet spot for visiting florida beaches and attractions with minimum crowds and great weather.
C6_Racer_X (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

XPel does the trick. As far as vacation recommendations, why don't you go to the National Corvette Museum our in Kentucky? The plant is still closed, but it’s still good for a visit and a 3 day stay to venture the town.

The Hotel Sync (which is 3 minutes away from the museum) has a garage to store your vehicle if you’re worried about storage.

Last edited by Judgment Day; 07-18-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM
davefreeman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

We just finished a 9 day road trip from our home in upstate New York to Biloxi Ms., Pensacola Fla., and New Orleans. Our 2014 Stingray ran flawlessly, got an average of 32.6 mpg, and was a joy to travel in. Took usual precautions with parking and had no problems.. We did pick up a small stone chip in the windshield and will call Safelite in the morning. We bought the Corvette to enjoy it and we do!
4thC4at60 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 224 Likes on 118 Posts

We just got home from a two week road trip from CA to the Bloomington Gold event at Indy and back. Enjoyed the trip and had a lot of fun seeing the country on the drive. Think about it, you bought the Corvette because it's the perfect road trip car. It's meant to be driven and not garaged. I had clear bra protection for the front bumper and added a Novistretch bra for the trip. While on the trip I always tried to park close to the front door of the hotel or as close to our room as possible. Only incident we had while on the trip was while we were in Gallup NM. The clerks at the front desk called our room and told me that another guest had reported a suspicious character paying a little too much attention to my car. Both front desk clerks immediately went outside to look for the guy but he was gone. They called the police and then notified me. One of the clerks even moved her car so that I could park in her spot by the front door where they could keep a better eye on my car. Very thankful to them for that. These two clerks also mentioned that they loved my car when we first pulled up to check in so that helps. Sure, we got a few more pits on the windshield and fenders but Corvettes are meant to be enjoyed. I think it's silly to have to rent a car or take another car on a road trip instead of driving and enjoying your Vette. If anything were to happen, remember, that's why you have insurance.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You've really gotten some great advice on here and I'm only on Pg. 1!!! And I see Mr. Carlos has commented, but here's his "travelogue" from his recent trip.* It is possibly the best one I've seen on CF, not that others were bad, but this one was really great and worth taking the time to read with photos, too. I'd say, 16C7Z, owc6, 4thC4, Steve R, and the suggestions about NoviStretch (it can't hurt, but may not work against larger pebbles sent at your car at "velocity"). And JoesC5 has a pretty good idea, plus it'll get you into "the country." I do think tho after reading 16C7Z other post (#28) he makes some good points esp. re wheel damage. Some roads are just terrible and some stock wheels seem to be very susceptible to damage. Would really kill the buzz of a road trip. jmo You've got some more great posts/suggestions from Rebel, geewz, etc.

Truly, this is a great forum!

* https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4162523-4-174-miles-and-11-days-in-2019-grand-sport-vert-m7.html
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

MANY THANKS! -J
You've gotten some great suggestions above (other than the "leave the Vette at home" responses, not much fun there). Here's a couple of road trip threads that we've taken since we bought our C7 last year:

Road Trip - East Coast

Road Trip - West Coast

As far as protection goes, I put Xpel coating on the bumper cover and the mirrors (they take a LOT of sanding from road rash). We take some gear to wash the car every few days as needed, it just makes it easier to enjoy the drive and the car.

Final piece of advice: there are literally thousands of "fantastic vacation places" in the US to go to. My wife and I pick a major destination (last year was Kittyhawk, this year was PCH), then fill in days with fun spots. We also limit ourselves to 6-7 hours of driving each day, just to keep the days enjoyable.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Where to go?

Turn west and hit the first backroad that you find and stay on them the entire vacation. That is where you will find the REAL America.

Harley Davidson has an app that will show you some of the most scenic roads in America and NOBODY knows the back roads of America like motorcyclists do. Check it out, it's worth the look.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/cont...nner-help.html
The following 3 users liked this post by Mcrider:
4thC4at60 (07-18-2018), blueray16 (07-18-2018), Steve_R (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My only recommendation would be to avoid cabin rentals as they tend to be all gravel roads with less than perfect grading coupled with steep angles of driveway egress.

Get notified of new replies

To Need vacation ideas and how to protect the Vette?

Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

take the corvette -
I purchased mine TO take trips with -

This week at the National Corvette get together in New Orleans they had people in C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 - that drove them to the show - on C1 drove from NY - another C1 from Tenn. , others from across the country - most drove them there - asked them why - they said they bought them to drive -

don't drive it and then sell / trade to someone that will - my last mistake - my C6 10 years old traded it in with 28,800 miles - my C7 3 years old and 11,000 miles - but just retired so time to put miles on it
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Why own a car you’re afraid to drive?

Its a depreciating Chevy. Drive and enjoy it. I drive my 14 vert everywhere, including trips, and have never had a problem with it parked at nice hotels and restaurants.

First thing I did after picking up my C7 from the NCM was take a 2500 mile 7 day roadtrip back to CA, the best road trip I ever took. The biggest problem was all the bugs that hit the front, but when I got home, I did the rinseless car wash and the paint was perfect again. My only tip is park in as good a spot as possible (end spot with as much room as possible away from other cars) that is visible from your hotel room.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
I'm going to 2nd the other guy's suggestion but I'm serious. Leave it home. It's going to get beat up by the interstate construction and road debris. Rent something.
Are you really serious....why own it if you are frightened to drive it.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 07-18-2018 at 11:05 PM.
owc6 (07-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Need vacation ideas and how to protect the Vette?