Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive tailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

"Or they just need to feel like they are doing "something", making progress. See, I moved 2 feet forward?"

Yes, that does apply in some cases, such as the harried woman with her all important smart phone jammed into her ear, or holding it out in front of her mouth like a slice of pie, and with the other hand a grande vanilla latte from Starbucks, all the while pressed forward on the steering wheel. The guys that normally tailgate seem to be in pickup trucks or a muscle car like a Challenger. In those cases I think the tailgating is less trying to feel like they are getting somewhere, and more it being a macho, intimidating move.

" I thought the same thing so I started to put the car in reverse to turn the camera on to confirm that they are literally up my ***. I try to slowly inch away but most just inch closer....ponderous."

As in the example above, it's the nimrods who think they are actually getting somewhere by riding your bumper, or the overcompensating dude in the truck who is trying to play Mr. Bad A**.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I always drive in the left lane...
I have a Corvette; I drive as fast as I can get away with.

Often I am paced by another driver(s).
If someone wants to go faster, I pull to the right and let them pass.
I'm not in the business of enforcing my speed on others.

If tailgated, I'll pull to the right and let them pass.
Or put the throttle down and let them know not to fnck with me.
Fortunately, Oregonians tend not to be rude or nasty drivers.
Corvettes generate a bit of respect on the road here.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
Texas is one of the friendliest states around, full of happy, friendly Texans. If you're observation is based on personal experience, you may have met some frustrated, unhappy people who have been relocating here for the last 20 years.
I live in DFW too--I trust you're being sarcastic. Road rage shootings and incidents around here are commonplace and sorry, I don't buy the relocating theory. I moved here 29 years ago and still remember a buddy of mine who was rear ended, got out to get the other person's info, the other person was packing heat, and told my friend to get in his car and drive away.

Yeah, Texas, the friendly state!

As for tailgaters, that's a common occurrence and I don't know why. It doesn't bother me when stopped. It does when I'm going down the road--especially at night (cars so close the headlights disappear behind the rear spoiler kind of thing). And I don't do the brake check thing--that's just asking for trouble and making a bad situation worse. And the thing I don't get, is it never seems to happen in my 67 Corvette convertible or my Porsche. The all black C7 Convertible--very often.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
And everyone wants to race you or catch up to you. I flash my led brake lights several times when someone is on my tail.
Not sure flashing tail lights is a good thing for our personal safety. Many uneducated, immature drivers just don't think; they only react, and if they quickly feel you're somehow dissing them it may make them dangerous.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike6811
Not sure flashing tail lights is a good thing for our personal safety. Many uneducated, immature drivers just don't think; they only react, and if they quickly feel you're somehow dissing them it may make them dangerous.
Yeah I hear ya. We don't want to go down the road rage movie. Like my dad always stated. The only cars you can control are the ones in front of you. That's why I slide over and let the tailgaters move ahead of me. I had a difficult time doing that when I was young.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-22-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Freelance4ever
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I suspect is happening to many of us and it all has to do with rocks. Rocks don't leap off the highway to put chips in the paint of our so low front ends, they're thrown by the tires on the SUV/truck in front of us. Knowing this we give the car in front a much wider space. That generous space is the target of every truck and SUV driver on the highway. They don't car about our cars, we're in the way of them getting in that space. If you won't fill the space, they'll ride your **** to let you know they'll fill the space. F'in rocks and space.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:06 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

So true. No matter how egregious an act someone has committed, in their mind they are now justified in escalating the situation because you brake checked them, blew your horn, etc. That's how it starts. By blaring your horn or hitting your brakes, you are just showing your displeasure for whatever they did (tailgating, cutting you off, cutting into a merge lane at the last possible moment, etc.). But in the mind of a nimrod, your action tells them, "Oh, it's on!".
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Arizonans...it's the desert heat.

Originally Posted by joemessman
Yeah I hear ya. We don't want to go down the road rage movie. Like my dad always stated. The only cars you can control are the one in front of you. That's why I slide over and let the tailgaters move ahead of me. I had a difficult time doing that when I was young.
See what you got yourself into in moving to AZ?
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Freelance4ever
Here's what I suspect is happening to many of us and it all has to do with rocks. Rocks don't leap off the highway to put chips in the paint of our so low front ends, they're thrown by the tires on the SUV/truck in front of us. Knowing this we give the car in front a much wider space. That generous space is the target of every truck and SUV driver on the highway. They don't car about our cars, we're in the way of them getting in that space. If you won't fill the space, they'll ride your **** to let you know they'll fill the space. F'in rocks and space.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:00 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

THIS👍🏻 I do notice people driving fast around me. I think they just want a closer look. Can't believe how many I see taking pics of the car. I just think it's flattering 😄
The quality of drivers today has slipped significantly in the last few years, both in attentiveness and courtesy. I've been in the Heavy-Haul/Oversize-Overweight trucking business for a long time, both as a driver and a manager, and it's become very clear to me that most drivers today are to distracted or in too big a hurry and take unnecessary chances. Yes, there are a lot of "boy racers" out there who always try to get you in a race, but I dismiss them as idiots. That said, I do get a lot of "lookers" that like the ZO6, just last night I had a guy on a nice Ducati crotch rocket roll up beside me at about 40mph, look the car over, and give me a "thumbs up" as he passed, those guys I don't mind.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:17 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Freelance4ever
I agree and especially the Bubba trucks and Jeeps with the oversize, knobby (self-cleaning) tires. There are certain other types of vehicles that I give a wide berth: gravel trucks (can't rely on their cargo tarps), flat beds with the forklift hanging on the back (the knobby wheel on the forklift is often covered with mud, small rocks that dislodge over road bumps), and lumber trucks, with or without load (they constantly spew tree bark). To make matters worse, the gravel trucks change lanes frequently and speed; same for the lumber trucks.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Arizonans...it's the desert heat.

See what you got yourself into in moving to AZ?
I hear you. Had to put the Harley aside until about October; it's just too uncomfortably hot to ride. On the other hand, the winters here are better than the snow that pummels Buffalo.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Although I haven't been there in 40 years, I still consider AZ to be my Home State.
And I absolutely rode my 750 Honda Super Spot in the summer back-in-the-day...without a helmet, of course.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JFJr
I agree and especially the Bubba trucks and Jeeps with the oversize, knobby (self-cleaning) tires. There are certain other types of vehicles that I give a wide berth: gravel trucks (can't rely on their cargo tarps), flat beds with the forklift hanging on the back (the knobby wheel on the forklift is often covered with mud, small rocks that dislodge over road bumps), and lumber trucks, with or without load (they constantly spew tree bark). To make matters worse, the gravel trucks change lanes frequently and speed; same for the lumber trucks.
You got that right (part I bolded). Welcome to NE Florida.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Caberlee2017
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
I agree with this. Often it feels like the vehicle behind me is an inch off my rear but when I pull up the rear camera they're not.

That being said, I've never had a car incite so much aggressive driving around me. No matter what speed I drive, slow or fast, or how aggressively I pull away I have cars pacing right next to me, flooring it off stop lights etc. I've owned other Corvette's and have never experienced this phenomenon. It doesn't happen on my motorcycles either.
Is there a way to turn on rear view cam without shifting to reverse?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, brakes have gotten much better but people's distractions have increased, and RE-action time really hasn't gotten better.
We also forget (and other drivers don't know) our brakes, especially Zs, can stop at least 50' shorter than most cars/suvs from 60-70mph in a panic stop.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:25 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I experience this almost all the time. At night, it's usually trucks /suv's. I have a theory : Some people are d*cks.

Either they want their headlights in your mirrors at night or their eating a p'butter and JELLY sammich or ??

Last edited by tcinla; 07-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
Everyone thinks their state has the worst drivers...its bad all over - I moved to GA from NY/CT/NJ - all four suck.....basically there is :far more aggression, far less driver training before getting licensed, far more distractions, far less ownership and downside of personal actions...its what we've become.
I learned to use flashers when I commuted on the Merritt Parkway and 684...I still use them in the vette even though its a reach. It gives me some comfort that perhaps the driver behind me will notice.
Check your state laws; driving with your "flashers" on is illegal in a LOT of states! I believe GA is OK but in FL where I live part time, it is not legal. I always find it to be very distracting when someone has their flashers on. Your brake lights and turn signals are less likely to be noticed. They're called emergency flashers for a reason. Some states allow it only if there is a hazardous situation.

Quick Reply: Excessive tailing