Sponsored by:

Excessive tailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
Absolutely happens to me all the time in CA. And I usually drive in the lane next to the fast lane. It is disproportionally Hondas. Not even Civics with fart cans, but Accords. Accord Sport drivers are the douchiest, followed closely by Accord V6 and Acura drivers. Not sure what makes Hondas so bad, but I see it all the time. Tailgating, cut offs, cutting you off with a left had turn in opposite traffic at a green light, weaving, you name it. Just this morning, one was tailgating me in heavy traffic, with his brights on no less. So I moved over and this dick was able to move up exactly one car because there was no place to go. Then the next guy in front of me got into it with him because of the tailgating/brights thing.
It used to be VW Jettas that would do this consistently.

In all cases I suspect guys who wished to drive BMWs but couldn't afford them and so took it out in bad behavior on the road.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

So I moved over and this dick was able to move up exactly one car because there was no place to go. .
Why does logic go out the window when driving? Outside the car would this guy see all that effort worth it to gain 15 feet?

Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Only 3-5 mph over the speed limit, I would fly by you too.
The following users liked this post:
revilingfool (07-22-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
My (prior) '12 GS Conv. was torch red and factory chrome; I had more hassles with everything from parking
to tail gating to wanting to do some racing.....my current '14 torch red Z51 7MT conv. is much more sedate (black wheels,
black calipers, etc.) and I am (thankfully) much less bothered by others......
You can not be serious but sadly I think you are.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
I agree with this. Often it feels like the vehicle behind me is an inch off my rear but when I pull up the rear camera they're not.

That being said, I've never had a car incite so much aggressive driving around me. No matter what speed I drive, slow or fast, or how aggressively I pull away I have cars pacing right next to me, flooring it off stop lights etc. I've owned other Corvette's and have never experienced this phenomenon. It doesn't happen on my motorcycles either.
I'll take it a step further, and question if color of the Corvette has something to do with it? My previous C7 was Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic, and my current car is Torch Red. I do not drive any differently, as both were convertible with the identical engine (Z06)..and yet the aggressiveness towards me is monumentally different.

Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic

Torch Red:

Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

For me, if I'm in the left lane passing slower traffic and then there's a gap say 500 yards or so. Nobody behind me. I'll stay as to not go in and out of the lanes like a nut job. If someone is coming? I'll move over if they're catching up to me.

what gets me is the moron that DOESN'T maintain their passing speed, gets me out of the way, then sits next to me or just in front of me one lane over......Meanwhile, I'm catching the people in the lane I'm in now..... which is NOT the passing lane. That kills me. Blood boiling lol.

so you get one chance at doing that.

Then, i get back in that passong lane, set my cruise....and stay.

Eventually, that person gets the picture and either goes around me or just stays out. It's not just the vette. People do it all the time. I dont get it. If I catch up to traffic and they move over For ME, I get past and STAY past... not "hovering" like a J/O.

and yes, I look behind that moron to make sure I'm not being "the guy".

that's when it pays to have POWER to pass lol.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

My uncle used to carry 1/2" ball bearings in his ash tray. If someone started to tailgate him he'd roll down the driver window and start dropping one every minute or so. Eventually one would hit its mark and the tailgater would back off.

If I was nuts enough to put a bumper sticker on my C7 it would say "The closer you get the slower I go". When I'm in bumper to bumper I can't go faster. Tailgate me and I go slower. I'm braking for 2.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Your uncle was nuts.

if someone is tailgating let them go around you. What's the point of putting yourself, your car, or the public, at risk? Is that the last straw for the wingnuts behind you? Are they on their way to the hospital where their child or mother or whomever was just rushed to? Who knows..... but best not be in the middle of it.

the other one is brake checking. If you do it (at least here) you can be ARRESTED not ticketed which you will also be... and brake checking is the easiest way to get other people and yourself hurt or dead. I've seen it happen on the parkway here. Caused a pregnant woman BEHIND the tailgater to lose control of her crv, roll a dozen times and her mother get ejected, whi them flew through the air landed on the side of the parkway and died after a brief hospital stay.

how she survived initially is still unbelieveable yo ne because she was mangled including her brain being partially exposed.

all because someone "took on" a tailgater... great job. Worth it? Not even close.

not saying anyone here does that but if you do.. please stop... call 911 if its important enough to do something about. Protect yourself and others not involved..
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
AORoads (07-18-2018), joemessman (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
I love the guys that go find the radar for me
I call them "rabbits" as they pass me. Then my detector goes off. Next thing they know they are getting unwanted paperwork!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vet Interested:
Carvin (07-18-2018), JFJr (07-19-2018), joemessman (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Huh?
TX and AZ are 2 states with a lot of frustrated, unhappy people.
It's hardly surprising they bring it to their driving.
Texas is one of the friendliest states around, full of happy, friendly Texans. If you're observation is based on personal experience, you may have met some frustrated, unhappy people who have been relocating here for the last 20 years.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM
elroth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
I have noticed this too. I usually run 5-10 over on the interstate. It is mostlyl3-4 lanes wide if I am in the 2nd or 3rd from the right and they tailgating I will slow down so they can go around. I dont like to stay in the far right with all the interchanges and merging traffic
You're one of the problems the people on this thread are talking about. The left (or as you call it the "3rd") lane is THE PASSING LANE. Say out of it unless you are PASSING a car. Because you don't like riding in the right hand lane when you're driving everybody else on the highway should be inconvenienced and put at risk??? I see it all too frequently - some lousy driver gets on the interstate and immediately goes into the left lane causing causing everyone else on the highway to put on their brakes and weave to try and get around them.

What kills me is (and I'm sure a whole lot of others on this forum) that you think what you're doing is OK.
The following 3 users liked this post by elroth:
ByRiver (07-18-2018), kennyjames21 (07-18-2018), ricks327 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by elroth
You're one of the problems the people on this thread are talking about. The left (or as you call it the "3rd") lane is THE PASSING LANE. Say out of it unless you are PASSING a car. Because you don't like riding in the right hand lane when you're driving everybody else on the highway should be inconvenienced and put at risk??? I see it all too frequently - some lousy driver gets on the interstate and immediately goes into the left lane causing causing everyone else on the highway to put on their brakes and weave to try and get around them.

What kills me is (and I'm sure a whole lot of others on this forum) that you think what you're doing is OK.
I think he said he doesn’t drive in the passing lane, but one lane to the right.
The following users liked this post:
Jmhornz71 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Vet Interested

I call them "rabbits" as they pass me. Then my detector goes off. Next thing they know they are getting unwanted paperwork!
Just saw that happen on a local rd. 2 days ago. Guy in a Charger going easily 10+ over. County car on shoulder, in shade at noon under trees--black car, almost invisible. Charger saw him too late, slowed, and less than 1/4 mi. down road, got pulled over.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Perfect timing! I just got back from an appointment. The route I take is a 25 MPH zone. This guy was behind me in one of these big pickup monster trucks with his headlights on a full beam. I would say about a half truck length behind me. All I could see was the headlights and this humongous grille and the lights. I'm going 28 MPH. I hear my radar unit go off for a KA alert. I slow down and pull over to the right and this guy guns it and passes me. Varooooom! 4 blocks down the street....bingo! Lake Havsu's finest flashed him over and I passed by and gave him a thumbs up.
You know how we always say, "if only a cop was here". I didn't have to use the phrase this time.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Always move over and let the faster driver go by.

Driver Ed. 101.

Anything else just causes problems.
They havve 2 other lanes to move over to they can pass in them. I am already faster than the cars in the right lane if just 2 lanes in my direction then yes I will be in the right if they want to pass

Last edited by Jmhornz71; 07-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM
elroth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
They havve 2 other lanes to move over to they can pass in them. I am already faster than the cars in the right lane if just 2 lanes in my direction then yes I will be in the right if they want to pass
You still don't get it, do you?

THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY.

When you make people have to go around you on the right you're inviting an accident to happen; perhaps to you or to someone else.

If you did what you're doing in Europe (cruising in the left lane) you'd get a ticket and a hefty fine (not to mention the wrath of other drivers).
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I think he said he doesn’t drive in the passing lane, but one lane to the right.
Some dont read the post only see what they want, then say I am the problem. I am not a left lane bandit I always move over when I pass and there is room and I wont be passing another car If there is a line of slower traffic I will pass that then move over

Last edited by Jmhornz71; 07-18-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive tailing

Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

Last person who tailgated me was a guy in a convertible M6 a few days ago. 45mph limit road in town. I was in the left lane rolling with traffic. He's right on my azz. Guess he thought he was to important to be held up. I slowed a bit and didn't budge until I moved right to get in the proper lane at the light to get on the ramp. He kinda gunned it when he passed me. I just smiled to myself.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
OP, yup I notice this too.
I agree
Old 07-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A few years ago before I moved South I was driving home from a club meeting in UpState NY. I was on a 3 lane section of Interstate (3 lanes each way) running the speed limit and passing a couple of cars in the lane on my right. The far right lane was open as far as I could tell. Suddenly another car came rushing right up on my rear with the headlights practically blinding me before the automatic mirrors dimmed. I felt like I was in a spot light. I had the car in cruise control so didn't touch the throttle but continued what I was doing. As I got past the last car I was getting ready to pull to the right but the car behind me pulled sharply to the right between me and the other car and passed me. That is when I saw it was a County Sheriff's car. I don't know if he was trying to get me to jump on the throttle and thus get a ticket or if he was in a hurry to get somewhere. I am pretty sure the far right lane was clear so if he was in a hurry he could have gone around that way.

Bill

Quick Reply: Excessive tailing