Sponsored by:

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Radio question

i’ve noticed the radio doesn’t come on right when the car is started. there is a 6-8 second delay before the radio starts to play. i assume this is normal but checking here nonetheless. have had many cars including six other vettes and have never experienced this kind of delay. thoughts?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^
Yep, have mine set to play >1000 songs from a thumb drive in shuffle mode as soon as I start the car. It's seldom off-my method of dealing with road and tire noise-I drown it out!

Yes it takes perhaps 5 seconds to come on but unlike older Vettes it's like everything else in the C7, computer controlled. It's booting up! No big deal!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-17-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
Yep, have mine set to play >1000 songs from a thumb drive in shuffle mode as soon as I start the car. It's seldom off-my method of dealing with road and tire noise-I drown it out!

Yes it takes perhaps 5 seconds to come on but unlike older Vettes it's like everything else in the C7, computer controlled. It's booting up! No big deal!
thats what i thought but since i’m having other issues with mine just wanted to make sure. thx
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Its normal. Like Jerry said, its booting up the computer (s). We're moving onto the age of driving a computer running a sports car app.
The following users liked this post:
Ranger5 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:44 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

And if you are using it with an XM channel it has to grab and buffer the data stream from the satellite before it starts playing which will be slower if in a garage or elsewhere that doesn't totally block but attenuates the satellite signal.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 AM
nethole
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my ford 150 starts to power up things when the driver door opens, while it's a bit of a drain on the battery if you're continually going in and out of the truck, it's a godsend when actually getting in to drive somewhere and you don't want to have to wait friggen forever for little things like the 'radio, or rear view camera' system to work.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frodo
Its normal. Like Jerry said, its booting up the computer (s). We're moving onto the age of driving a computer running a sports car app.
well put! 😅
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by nethole
my ford 150 starts to power up things when the driver door opens, while it's a bit of a drain on the battery if you're continually going in and out of the truck, it's a godsend when actually getting in to drive somewhere and you don't want to have to wait friggen forever for little things like the 'radio, or rear view camera' system to work.
yes, i understand. that is 6 seconds of your life wasted.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

It amazes me how many things that seemed nearly instantaneous in an analog world seems to take way too long in the digital. Another? For whom did it take as long to put on the parking brake as the electronic one takes? Over and over I'm not impressed beyond the electronics it takes to run the engine so efficiently and so well.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:29 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I noticed today in my 2018 GMC 2500HD Denali another form of delay. Mine is still in the 3 month complimentary WiFi hot spot subscription and shortly after startup I tried to change XM channels and it showed the new favorite highlighted but stayed tuned where it was. A couple of seconds later the "WiFi available" message shows up on the infotainment screen and then it finally changed to the selected channel. I think the problem is a combination of poor programming and too much going on during initialization.

My 2014 ATS is much worse because the backup camera is usually slow enough to come up that it often isn't worth waiting for and frequently just after startup the camera view is suddenly blanked out by the "iPhone connected" message. It took a real brainiac in the programming department to think it was a good idea to interrupt what could be a critical display with a stupid nag message. Probably more of the same outsourced garbage that plagues several major insurance company IT departments.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorse

thats what i thought but since i’m having other issues with mine just wanted to make sure. thx
What other issues are you having?

Get notified of new replies

To Radio question

Quick Reply: Radio question