C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of ya'll are considering trading your C7 on the new mid engine Vette and why

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

No Manual = No Trade

Regards
Chip
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,610 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
You have a ME already...the C7 is a Front-Mid-Engine......the engine sits behind the front axle.
Yep and my Street Rod is even more so! First from Henry Ford who designed the car with the wheels far forward then me, who has the Chevy 502 BB set back for better weight transfer! 53% on the 16.5 section width rear sticky tires! But it, like the C7 does not have a low polar moment of inertia needed for optimum handling! Actually for the straight line performance the street rod is designed for it's fine-just don't make high speed corners!

Even Ferry Porsche knew mid engine was the right place to put an engine but he was stuck with that rear engine "peoples car" he designed for Hitler before WWII when he built his first sports car! Funny we recently visited the US Porsche racing team in Rock Hill SC! They are preparing 911 "look alike" race cars with the engine and transaxle reversed to make a ME! Can only push that rear (or front) engine technology so far if you want to compete! Same with the Corvette race team!

Number 1 plug well forward of front axle due to Henry Ford design AND my setting the 502 cid Big bBock back for better weight transfer! ME with 53% of the weight on the rear wheels BUT not low polar moment of inertia!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
Are you seriously judging current GM on a car built 50 years ago??
Yup...Same old, same old that GM. Such comedians those kids. And someone mentioned that other GM beauty that should also go down as one of the biggest P O S in automotive history the mid engine Fiero
Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Paid a fraction of that when I "reserved my C7 in February of 2013" from a "real very large Vette dealer!" Price fixed months before it was announced! Also refundable!

The benefit to the Dealer was GM only supplied those initial cars to actual customer orders when they started to ship. When I picked mine up the first week in October 2013, dealer was frustrated they could not get one for their showroom! Mine was on display for a day but locked and they would not let anyone sit in it!
The first C7 I saw in person and the first C7 I sat in was on Oct 19 2013 at Talladega Super Speedway. We were there for the NASCAR race and a local dealer had the new C7 on display that was unsold.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Then consider a C7 your last Vette! Tadge said that in a post and Tremic has already said they will supply a dual clutch transaxle for the C8 that does not have a third pedal!

At least it's has efficient standard trans spur gears but the two separate clutches are operated by computer. Essential two transmissions with the next gear already engaged when it's clutch is engaged. That is all you can get in a Ferrari and may other high performance cars. At least better than a GM less efficient slush box!

I'm getting my mind used to it as have been driving only a standard shift for my DD for ~60 years. That was a three speed on the floor, progressed to a 4 speed and have had four 7 speeds! First was a Dodge Colt turbo with a twin stick overdrive and my 1st Vette, an '88, that came with a Dough Nash 4 speed and electrically operated overdrive activated by a button on top of the shift ****. Could activate in 2nd, 3rd and 4th with 7 unique and split gear ratios! Not nearly as easy to use as my 2014 C7 or Grand Sport!
Tremec has had their TR9007 DCT transmission on their website for around four years. I don't recall seeing where Tremec said it was going to be used in a Corvette of and generation.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Deweyox
Yup...Same old, same old that GM. Such comedians those kids. And someone mentioned that other GM beauty that should also go down as one of the biggest P O S in automotive history the mid engine Fiero
Nope not trying to compare the new C8 (which I will buy) with my 1934 Street Rod! Just responding to the "C7 is a Mid Engine because the #1 plug is behind the axel!" My ProStreet Rod #1 plug is even further back because of engine set-back so could it to be considered a ME because of it's forward front axle! However the benefits of an engine truly placed closer to the car center is the lower "polar moment of inertia!" It's like rotating a 20 pound "bell weight" versus the same weight bar bell!

Yep I mentioned the Fiero as well. That was to counter the issue that a miid engine car MUST be expensive. Just say'n GM may surprise us when the base model C8 is introduced. IMO they must build it for a lot of reasons like future corporate mpg requirements if they are going to continue to sell Vettes! Not going to do that with a front engine car, IMO. The Corvette race team will love it as well! Even Zora knew that was the right way to build a race car! He'll be smiling!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If there's no convertible and no manual transmission, it won't get any consideration from me. I'm not one of the many here who just have to own a Corvette. I'm fine without, and my next purchase will be whatever make/model pleases me the most.

That's likely to be a Porsche, and if I'm forced to go DCT, I'd rather it be the PDK.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-20-2018 at 12:23 PM.
4thC4at60 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Nope not trying to compare the new C8 (which I will buy) with my 1934 Street Rod! Just responding to the "C7 is a Mid Engine because the #1 plug is behind the axel!" My ProStreet Rod #1 plug is even further back because of engine set-back so could it to be considered a ME because of it's forward front axle! However the benefits of an engine truly placed closer to the car center is the lower "polar moment of inertia!" It's like rotating a 20 pound "bell weight" versus the same weight bar bell!

Yep I mentioned the Fiero as well. That was to counter the issue that a miid engine car MUST be expensive. Just say'n GM may surprise us when the base model C8 is introduced. IMO they must build it for a lot of reasons like future corporate mpg requirements if they are going to continue to sell Vettes! Not going to do that with a front engine car, IMO. The Corvette race team will love it as well! Even Zora knew that was the right way to build a race car! He'll be smiling!

My 1964 Corvette has the #1 plug behind the front axle and it is a front engine Corvette. In fact it's weight distribution is 47%/53%(better than the C7 50%/50%) and it's center of gravity is 16.5 inches(better than the C7's 17.5 inches).

Old 07-20-2018, 12:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Tremec has had their TR9007 DCT transmission on their website for around four years. I don't recall seeing where Tremec said it was going to be used in a Corvette of and generation.
Every thing about the C8 is still top secret! Know an engineer who works for GM. Before the C7 was announced he (and others) were told they would be fired if it was found they leaked any info! I'm sure it's the same for the C8! Same with supplies but my statement comes from this:

"Four years ago, Chevrolet Corvette manual-transmission supplier Tremec aspired to achieve greater global reach. Instead of reinventing the helical gear to enter the thriving dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT) business, this Mexico-based manufacturer simply shopped for a company that already possessed the expertise it needed. Tremec was drawn to Hoerbiger Drivetrain Mechatronics because of that Belgian firm’s proven relationships with Mercedes-AMG, Ferrari, and McLaren. A deal was cut and Tremec now owns Hoerbiger lock, stock, and gear hobber.The prodigy from these two parental units is Tremec’s TR-9007 family of dual-clutch automatics that can be assembled in rear-drive, all-wheel-drive, and transaxle configurations. Prototypes of the mid-engine 2019 Chevrolet Corvette in light camouflage captured by our photographers are evidence of the testing for drivability and durability of the Tremec transaxles slated for customer delivery in 2018.Tremec engineering documents show a 9000-rpm maximum input speed and a 664-lb-ft torque capacity, both of which should cover C8 Corvette needs quite nicely. The TR-9007’s die-cast aluminum housing contains seven forward gears, three of which are overdrive ratios, and a 5.6:1 ratio spread. Tremec describes the twin engagement devices as “virtually dry wet clutches.”DCTs use helical gears instead of a conventional automatic’s planetary gears. Because hydraulic and friction losses are generally lower than other automatics, DCTs can improve efficiency. There is no interruption of torque delivery during upshifts, so DCTs typically beat the stick-shift alternative in acceleration.Our suspicion is that General Motors will not follow our suggestion to Save the Manuals due to the cost and complexity of offering two transmissions. In other words, Tremec’s TR-9007 seven-speed DCT will be the one and only transmission available when the 2019 Corvette arrives in less than two years.Speculation BUT no sounds very logical to me. Assume there will be no 3rd pedal BUT from a mechanical standpoint it's a bit simpler!"

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

My 1964 Corvette has the #1 plug behind the front axle and it is a front engine Corvette. In fact it's weight distribution is 47%/53%(better than the C7 50%/50%) and it's center of gravity is 16.5 inches(better than the C7's 17.5 inches).
Yep but with that engine up front it is not a low polar moment of inertia! Especially with those skinny tires corning will not come close to that achievable with a center engine car! Good looking Vette however!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Yep but with that engine up front it is not a low polar moment of inertia! Especially with those skinny tires corning will not come close to that achievable with a center engine car! Good looking Vette however!
Actually, the polar moment f inertial of my 64 is quite good as not only is the engine sitting behind the front axle the transmission in located towards the center of the car along with the passenger compartment and the driver is back close to the center line of the car. on the C8 mid engine the passenger compartment is towards the front axle and the transmission is behind the rear axle.

On my 64 all three are between the axles, where as on the C8 on two of the three are located between the two axles.

Oh, and If I wanted to chop up my original unhit 64, with it's original paint, I could flair the fenders and install tires the same width as a C7 ZR1.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-20-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Every thing about the C8 is still top secret! Know an engineer who works for GM. Before the C7 was announced he (and others) were told they would be fired if it was found they leaked any info! I'm sure it's the same for the C8! Same with supplies but my statement comes from this:

"Four years ago, Chevrolet Corvette manual-transmission supplier Tremec aspired to achieve greater global reach. Instead of reinventing the helical gear to enter the thriving dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT) business, this Mexico-based manufacturer simply shopped for a company that already possessed the expertise it needed. Tremec was drawn to Hoerbiger Drivetrain Mechatronics because of that Belgian firm’s proven relationships with Mercedes-AMG, Ferrari, and McLaren. A deal was cut and Tremec now owns Hoerbiger lock, stock, and gear hobber.The prodigy from these two parental units is Tremec’s TR-9007 family of dual-clutch automatics that can be assembled in rear-drive, all-wheel-drive, and transaxle configurations. Prototypes of the mid-engine 2019 Chevrolet Corvette in light camouflage captured by our photographers are evidence of the testing for drivability and durability of the Tremec transaxles slated for customer delivery in 2018.Tremec engineering documents show a 9000-rpm maximum input speed and a 664-lb-ft torque capacity, both of which should cover C8 Corvette needs quite nicely. The TR-9007’s die-cast aluminum housing contains seven forward gears, three of which are overdrive ratios, and a 5.6:1 ratio spread. Tremec describes the twin engagement devices as “virtually dry wet clutches.”DCTs use helical gears instead of a conventional automatic’s planetary gears. Because hydraulic and friction losses are generally lower than other automatics, DCTs can improve efficiency. There is no interruption of torque delivery during upshifts, so DCTs typically beat the stick-shift alternative in acceleration.Our suspicion is that General Motors will not follow our suggestion to Save the Manuals due to the cost and complexity of offering two transmissions. In other words, Tremec’s TR-9007 seven-speed DCT will be the one and only transmission available when the 2019 Corvette arrives in less than two years.Speculation BUT no sounds very logical to me. Assume there will be no 3rd pedal BUT from a mechanical standpoint it's a bit simpler!"
is that a quote direct from Tremec, or some magazine?

Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

The first C7 I saw in person and the first C7 I sat in was on Oct 19 2013 at Talladega Super Speedway. We were there for the NASCAR race and a local dealer had the new C7 on display that was unsold.
Must have been because of the race. As I recall Hendricks I Cary did not get one for their showroom, I.e.not a customer ordered car until end October.

They did have about 100 IVERS that were all over before production started. Saw ~10 at Laguna Seca Vintage Races in August 2013. Lots of GM execs and a chassis on display as well. Folks were paying over MSRP for several months after the first delivery. I did not!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

is that a quote direct from Tremec, or some magazine?
No like all other ‘“nfo” on the C8 it’s from a mag.

As I understand from the GM engineer IF Tremic were to officially say that, GM would get quotes from ZF! That is what was in my ‘93. They supply Ferrari, Porsche etc.

As some folks around here would say “Corvette Tax,” better Mexico than Germany or that would be “GermanTax!”

Last edited by JerryU; 07-21-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Corvette Coral @ Road America had a C7 at the IMSA race in August 2013 also.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Yep they made ~100 preproduction prototypes, they called IVERS, that once the C7 was shown at the Detroit Auto Show in ~January 2013 as I recall were brought to various races and car events. Recall at an Amelia Island Car show they were charging to see it!.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Carvin (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:55 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

To answer the OP: Consider yes - if - the difference in driving and feel was as dramatic from the C6 to C7.
911Hunter (07-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To How many of ya'll are considering trading your C7 on the new mid engine Vette and why

Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

As I’ve explained to the wife dozens of times, dying penniless is the sign of a perfect budget. I’m working hard to accomplish this goal, so I’ll buy one outright with no trade in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Factoid:
DWS44 (07-20-2018), JerryU (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 842 Likes on 350 Posts

If a mid engine Vette can gives me the looks (488), sound (Huracan) and performance (720s) of a 250k supercar for 100k less, I will definitely buy one. I will wait for the right time but if a mid engine Vette can give me these 3 things, I will definitely buy one when the budget allows.
911Hunter (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 12:05 AM
08redharley
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK Praise

Originally Posted by Foosh
If there's no convertible and no manual transmission, it won't get any consideration from me. I'm not one of the many here who just have to own a Corvette. I'm fine without, and my next purchase will be whatever make/model pleases me the most.

That's likely to be a Porsche, and if I'm forced to go DCT, I'd rather it be the PDK.
Just traded a 13 911 Carrera S Cabriolet for a Z06/Z07 M7. Only reason(s) - M7 & cargo space. The PDK is smoothe and fast. I certainly can not shift that fast. I just did not consider the “fun factor” when I traded my 12 C6 Z06 for the 911. I just got mesmerized by the fit, finish and sexiness of that black beauty. My C7 is my new true love. I just wax, look, Drive, repeat. It is my new Black Beauty and will be around for a long time.
ptran00 (07-22-2018)

Quick Reply: How many of ya'll are considering trading your C7 on the new mid engine Vette and why